Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
As far as lighting goes, drop by a garden shop and pick up some full spectrum bulbs if you've got the cash. If nothing else, you'll feel less like poo poo after spending 6 hours bent over tiny plastic dudes than you usually would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

I've had a lot of luck using duplicolor sandable auto primer as my white.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Anyone have thoughts on these basing kits? They're obviously more expensive than going out and buying all that poo poo in bulk, but having it all around in a nice little package could be handy, and potentially more cost-effective in terms of ingredients that can potentially go bad on you. I don't think you could run through one of those big loving jars (the only size they sell) of GAC texture gel even if you were basing an entire army, for one thing.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Basecoat:

Layers n' poo poo:

As for a mixing vessel, the pro thing to do is whack together a wet palette with a cheap bit of tupperware, a sponge, a bit of paper towel, and some parchment paper (not waxed paper). Sponge goes into the bottom of the container, fill up with water about 3/4 of the way up the sponge, wet the paper towel and press it down on top of the sponge, then cut a bit of parchment just slightly smaller than the sponge layer and press it down on top of the paper towel, making sure that it sticks and doesn't have any air bubbles (areas with air in them will dry out and that's not awesome). After that, mix your paints on top of the parchment - they'll dry out way slower than they would with just a plastic dish or something. Store in the fridge if you're not done using your mixed colors when you're done painting for the time being, they'll keep surprisingly well. Wash the thing out every couple of weeks (no need to change the parchment until it becomes entirely unusable - I actually find that it gets better and better the more times you rinse it).

If you're not feeling crafty, a simple mixing tray will run you like five bucks tops.

I tend to thin my paints with a combo of water, retarder, and flow aid, but that's because I have huge-rear end jugs of the stuff sitting around from an art class I took a couple years back, they're strictly optional.

e: Just picked up a new can of GW primer (was the only stuff I could get my hands on, unfortunately) but holy poo poo, it might actually be worth the money now? Maybe it's just an exceptional batch or something, but this stuff is way better than it was the last time I tried it. Beats the hell out of duplicolor for adhesion/detail preservation/smoothness, that's for sure.

stabbington fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 29, 2009

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, that's gotta be bullshit. Going to stick to scrubbing everything down before priming, either way.

On an entirely different topic, any suggestions for foam storage cases? I just discovered that my centurion somehow had its shield arm torqued straight off during my move a couple months ago, which tells me that my ghetto container store setup isn't quite cutting the mustard. Going to be a bitch to fix, too, sheared right along the pistons.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

I'd thin P3s at least 2p:1w for basecoats, but I'm OCD as gently caress about brushstrokes (it doesn't help that my primary color scheme is mostly white).

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

If you have an airbrush and regularly use it to paint tanks: congratulations, everything you know is applicable to car modeling!

If you hand-paint everything with a brush: sorry, you're kind of boned unless you feel like buying an airbrush setup.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Has Reaper dealt with the awful batch consistency issues that the master series stuff had when it first came out? It'd be nice if they managed that, because when they weren't unusable poo poo, they were really good.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

aldantefax posted:

So, there's an actual Blick art store nearby me that I recently learned about! I want to go, but I also want to come up with a shopping list of stuff that I want to keep an eye out for when going there so I don't walk away with the wrong stuff and an empty wallet.

* Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brushes - Size 0
* Some cheaper brushes suitable for drybrushing
* Master's Brush Cleaner
* Some kind of porcelain palette?

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here. I want to go pick everything up in one go instead of making multiple trips!

Going to try and do the highlighting and such on that WIP Man-o-War that I posted a little while ago. My P3 hobby kit just came in and I finished going through the DVD, which was very educational! Reading how-tos and stuff is good but really seeing the basics put together in a professionally done video really help me to understand the stuff.

Also, I need to go find some blue-tac now.

If you're buying W&Ns, pick up at least one size 1, the 0s are tiny and barely hold any paint. Great for details, though. Having an assortment of cheaper brushes around is nice, in general. Keeps you from loving up your nice ones with metallics, if nothing else. Blick usually carries some bargain-priced variety packs.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

'til it looks like this

stabbington posted:

Basecoat:

Layers n' poo poo:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

aldantefax posted:

I'm wondering - what are good models to practice painting on? Like, in order to help develop techniques without worry too much about getting mistakes you can't redo, are there certain kinds of minis that are good for just kind of getting paint onto to see how it turns out without shelling a lot of cash?

The completely basic GW space marines are probably the easiest models to just gently caress around with in the entire hobby. Large swaths of paintable space, easy to work out highlighting/shading, some metallic stuff, and all in simple-to-assemble plastic bits. $16 at the warstore for 5 of the things (most brick and mortar game shops have similar discounts on GW products), so they're pretty cheap for things you're just going to abuse/practice on.

On the other hand, it's not going to get you much practice painting cloth, skin, leather, or eyes, which tends to be helpful on character models/everything from WHFB/Warmachine/Hordes/Malifaux/et al. You can pick up a box of 6 (Warmachine) Cygnar gunmages from the warstore for around $19 if you're focused on that. They're each just a single piece of solid metal (+plastic base).

I'm sure people more knowledgable than me have better suggestions, but that's at least a jumping off point, I guess.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

The GF9 stuff is just rebadged Kneadatite. One of those big tubes'll run you $13 and last you essentially forever.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Gryphonne sepia's pretty good, if you don't have a batch of homemade ink wash lying around.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

menoth white highlight, pride of the p3 line

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

To summarize: gravity fed, double action, multiple tips, airbrushed primer is fine - any acrylic primer in a bottle, properly thinned, should work. Buy an Iwata HP-C unless you want to drop $300 on a Paasche AB of some sort (no idea about cheap options)

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Thin that poo poo and wash your brush more often, yo.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

it would also look way better with some smoother coats, sorry bro

(still drat good considering)

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

They're not anything special.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Morham posted:

Took a couple more photos, I'm a pretty bad photographer but I guess practice makes perfect so I'm sure I'll get better. This is the same knight from before but I took the other side and a close up of the face. I've noticed some little splodges of paint that shouldn't be there since I took these, and also the fact that my models are covered in dust.

But enough excuses, I'm pretty happy with this guy IRL, but my painting has definately improved since I did him. Its pretty sunny today so I could probably take some more pictures later...anyway thoughts?

Loving the hell out of that shield weathering.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

And people laugh at 40K shoulder pads, yikes!

Anyone who thinks 40k shoulder pads are bad has never seen Vlad's models.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Good yellows are always a product of layering. If you prime black, yellow is easiest to do working up from a brown - GW snakebite leather or P3 rucksack tan to a dark shade like GW foundation iyanden darksun to thin layers of your higher yellow, if you want something that looks really smooth. That said, IIRC iyanden darksun is actually opaque enough to go on fine over black primer without a layer of brown to mitigate the base darkness. I think Yog just does darksun -> brighter yellow on his skaven, and they look badass.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

In my experience, the best way to do aged white is to reference either a dirty whitewashed wall (grime creeping up from the bottom, etc) or elephant tusks - aging ivory will generally look cooler than grimy white.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

I just bought a bunch from http://www.kjmagnetics.com/, their prices seem pretty good.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Worse comes to worse, you just stack a couple and it works out about the same.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

The Masters' Brush Cleaner owns, and a big tub of it will last you literally forever. I have one from 15 years ago that is still 2/3rds full.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Discworld owns. That's all you need to think about those last two pieces.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Except that they used to produce product of the same quality without giant loving piles of spare metal hanging off of it, and PP etc. manage to match or exceed their quality without having that issue to the extent that GW has lately. Something is up with their molds or their casting process.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Parchment paper, not wax paper. Wax paper isn't water-permeable. Also, a layer of paper towel between the sponge and the parchment helps even out air bubbles.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Feeple posted:

Finished up some Menoth while I'm at it.

Oh, and a merc.

Oh poo poo, you're the knights of mars guy. That color scheme owns.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Aranan posted:

I'm almost tempted to grab one set of shoulderpads, grind Vlad's huge shoulders away, and replace them.

Yessssssss, gently caress those huge stupid things.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Had a productive day, cleaned, assembled, sanded, gap-filled and prepped a full unit of Precursor Knights + UA, the new Nemo sculpt, a Stormclad, a Cyclone, and a Hunter in a couple of hours. Bonus gessoed eNemo sitting on my pin vice in back.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Cryx basing: mangled limbs if you happen to have a bunch of bits laying around that you can use/feel like doing some sculpting; swamps and blighted landscapes are also nice standbys.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Anphrax posted:

Are the Chaos head dealios too much?

No fuckin' way.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

quote:

Hmmm... What is mixing medium?
It's basically the water + acrylic polymer binder that the pigments in acrylics are suspended in.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Retarded white cyclone WIP time

Just looking at the picture of this thing I realize how much touching up I'm going to have to do once I get my whites finished and shaded. I need to get my steady hands back, christ. Ah well, at least my white is smoothing out after 4 coats (2 Wolf Grey, 2 Skull White) instead of 10 (don't paint white on black primer unless you are seriously the dumbest motherfucker around).

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

p3 paints own qtiyd
My only annoyance with p3s is that they don't come in dropper bottles because I am a big baby who's too lazy to use a wet palette most of the time.

Also their metal batch consistency was poo poo before they recalled the drat things, but whatever. Their normal hues own, and thin down way nicer than my aging VGCs.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

A natural hair brush will probably need to be wetted before it comes to a point the first time you use it.

e: also, thanks for the pipette suggestions guys, I'm clearly a moron for not thinking of that.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Really pointy brushes, really steady hands, and a bunch of practice, I'd imagine.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Ways to make your bases less boring. Not sure if that's really your thing, but I'm pretty much always looking for new peoples' takes on the topic.

I am a sniping machine this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

If I was able to offer basing kits, with a variety of smallish bags of ballasts and different colors of static grasses for a reasonable price (much cheaper than buying them all seperately from GF9 or whatever) would anyone be interested?

If you can manage to be competitive with the skullcrafts guy, then more power to you. The market is probably there.

• Locked thread