Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

KingMob posted:

Yep, Sculpey III. First time using it. It still retains some springiness after baking.

Try using Premo, sculpey's better brother. Less sticky when sculpting and sets up harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Aranan posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzdjc13OfFM&feature=fvw

Neat, but not practical for tiny paint pots.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
edit: See? In the time it took to type my post you did it again!

Hey Zarkov, are you ever not on the computer looking at or for miniatures? I'm not trying to dump on you but goddamn, you post stuff nobody has ever seen before on a daily basis!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I've kitbashed an Orc blood bowl team out of 40k Nobz and Boyz and a couple of Black Orc pieces, and they look pretty sweet... except for where I've disarmed them (by cutting the weapons away). I've tried to do it as smoothly as possible but it still looks pretty scrappy and horrid. I suspect there isn't really a solution other than drilling a bit away and trying to resculpt the hand shapes, which I don't think I'm willing or able to do (I have no experience at all with green stuff). What do you suggest?

v
Oh, I don't have my camera with me so I'll ask again later! :)

Use a large drill bit and make a shallow cone in the fist. Use a utility knife to roughly cut the cone with a few notches to break up the symmetry of it. I'm not explaining it overly well, but I think you get the idea.

I made my Orc team from a box of boyz. Also add "brass knuckles" to your players fists by taking chainsword guards and gluing them in place to hide de-weaponized hands.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 29, 2009

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

100 rare earth magnets 1x8mm $6, free international shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13518

I use them with Mighty Putty on the underside of my bases so I can move my minis around in a tool box and not worry about them sliding about during transport.

Does anyone have 4 chaos space marines they'd be willing to give away or trade? I want them for Warriors in a Chaos Blood Bowl team because the metal ones that GW offers look like rear end.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

Have anything interesting for trade? I play Nids and Guard.

Several pounds of reaper and grenadier minis covering every size and type you can likely imagine.

And a smattering of GW stuff.

I'll make a better list later but off the top of my head:

1 Battle sister Seraphim (or whatever their jump pack ones are called)
1 Chaos terminator with sword and bolter
1 SM terminator with lightning claws and big knife thing.
1 SM sniper scout

3-4 Fantasy halflings
20-ish misc. fantasy fighters and orcs from 2nd ed (maybe)
A bunch of Gors and Ungors mostly on the sprue. (current ed)

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 19, 2009

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I got one response :siren:attn: Bobx66 :siren: about trading some of my minis for 4 plastic chaos marines. Now you can all enjoy/suffer pictures from my collection of miscellaneous miniatures.

These are some examples:
TMNT with lasers!

40K stuff

Ice chariot

GW halflings

The whole mess of them is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poisonmartini/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

Hey Fix, I know you've answered this before but what size magnets did you use for the arms on these guys?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

1/8" x 1/16"

Cheers.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

1/8" x 1/16"

Goddammit! I found your post earlier about which ebay store you use for magnets but now I can't find it and the 1st post on the Warhammer thread is the magnet supplier that rapes you on shipping.

Help a brother out?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Care to share your recipe for yellow cloth? Also what color primer did you use?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The guy at the end of that video seems like such a massive pranny in every one of their videos.

Hey! Backoff Miniwargamer Dave, he's cool. Well, actually he can be a bit much sometimes but miniwargaming.com is an impressively progressive and involved gaming store. I know they have their own profits in mind at the end of the day, but they do provide loads of tutorials, videos and contests via their site.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

You can use your miniwargaming.com amazing super brush

Which if you placed an order in November you got for free. Seriously though, at the end of the day they are a retailer, they need to sell poo poo to survive. A little plugging of store products is hardly out of line.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

You ruined it

(I got one free last time they had that promotion too)

Awww...sorry I wrecked your fun. Here have a video of the miniwargaming crew being massive tools, as my way of apologizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-MI_Jfg8uI&feature=channel

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Where can I find a good set of micro files?

Will these do?

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/hand-tools/files/2921823-10-pc-5-1/2-needle-file-set?keyword=file

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I'm going to check out princess auto sometime next week and see if they have any.

They also have tiny drill bit sets and other useful gamer stuff, have a look around when you go.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

D'aww. :3:
Like I said, if anyone has ideas for more tutorials, I'll gladly put something together. If it doesn't end up looking like crap, I'll post it up here.

I used green stuff for the first time a few days ago with so-so results. What I'd like to know is other than liberally covering it and the working surfaces and tools with water how do you stop it from sticking to everything? I was amazed at how tacky it was.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Air brushing, I know it has been posted about before but I can't find those posts in the other thread so I'll ask here.

Gravity fed or siphoned?

Has anyone tried spraying primer? If so where do you get liquid primer and what type?

I have the compressor but need to know about the airbrushes so I buy the best unit for hobby painting.

Thanks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Exemplar Cinerators

Emboldened from the wounds inflicted by the impure, Exemplar Cinerators move ahead of their brothers in arms, the Bastions, to breach enemy ranks with flame and steel. Cinerators channel the agony of their wounds into holy rage and are armed with ancient blades and shields passed down from fallen Knights through the centuries. An unquenchable flame flickers across the blade, blazing white-hot when wielded in battle.

Looks like actually useful Bastions :v:

And people laugh at 40K shoulder pads, yikes!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

why is he donking himself in the head?

He suddenly realized that he left the oven on.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hey PV since you are an actual artist and not just a plastic spaceman one.

What do you think the closest match for GW Desert Yellow would be from an real paint pallet? Yellow Ochre with a hint of medium brown?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cross posting my work from the miniwargaming forum: This months project was to make a piece of terrain with a "chip tube". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSeJDsjNzRw

This structure came to me while eating chips and watching TV, guess which show it was. (It didn't really, but its a good story.)

Supplies: The chip tube, 2 hose washers, plastic rod, foamcore and an old Dungeon Bowl door.

Step1: Cut the tube to length. Cut a seam up the back and roll the tube into a cone. Glue it and clamp it.

Step2: Cut out the windows and door. Cut out the foamcore bits, glue them and the washers in place.

Step3: Cover the model in spackle for that authentic stone look.

Step4&5: Attach the rivets (made from the plastic rod). Prime and paint it.

Step6: Set it up on a grassy hill and start playing.

Just beware of the crazy Cthulhu Cultist, Squidwardson who lives there...uh-oh, RUN!

For added fun use a battery powered tealight to jazz up the place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd52LPnpNWQ

So, what do you think?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

I made a barrel today :downs:

I finally built a spray booth so i can use my airbrush indoors, first test was this barrel, also gave me a good chance to try out salt-masking.

seconding the request for a tutorial of these.

Also Airbrush Goons. Do you have any fancy airbrush gubbins as part of your set up? Specifically a filter or dryer that is fitted in the line between your compressor and your airbrush? I have seen both of these at my local hardware store but as they are mostly geared for 'industrial' use I don't know if any of their stuff is needed or wanted for airbrushing.

I've got the compressor and an airbrush, now I just need the time and nerve to get on with using it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The 'main' warhammer thread is being too busy having a which chaos god hates who and why 90210/the hills type discussion, so I'll drag this here.

How lame is this?

Yes it's mine, I'm going for a Deff Dred. I plan to make it more orky, but should I even bother or is the foundation too crap?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Is... is that an Atomic Robo body?

bhsman posted:

This is just begging to be turned into an Orky Iron Man.

dpack_1 posted:

It looks like Iron Man put on a few pounds and needed a Plus Size suit made up

Well actually....

Minus the head, shoulders and thighs. Plus the calf and feet are turned 180 degrees.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Hope you have some guitar string

I've got a bunch of the ribbed hose from these guys.

I figure that will do it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

oonts oonts oonts oonts oonts

Destroy the world.
Destroy the world.
Destroy the world.
Destroy the world.
be-doop-doop-doop-doop-dop-doop-doop-de-doop
be-doop-doop-doop-doop-dop-doop-doop-de-doop

[Repeat until Chaos is victorious]

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

Which one, which one? Both, maybe? A squad of each?

Click here for the full 1600x743 image.

The burgundy is such a nice change from boring old silver/boltgun grey knights.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

alcyon posted:

If you guys want some decent tips on esoteric painting and techniques, you should really avoid the dedicated warhammer forums (outside SA of course) and lurk around sites dedicated to armor and figure painting. Tons of tips and techniques for free. (the MIG forums for example)

Care to link a few of your top sites?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's a pretty lovely moulding defect.

Forgeworld?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mousling Heroes, dawwww :3:

more here...
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/latest/10033#detail/10033_w_1

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Any colors worth getting other than white?

Sepia and black if you are thinking of making your own washes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkMnP6p08I

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

FractionMan posted:

As expected, people said his body is too small, the back wheel is too drat weedy, and he needs some better weapons. After hopping on ebay for some supplies, and rummaging in my bits bags, he now looks like this:

The body has been replaced with a familiar warboss sized one, which means he's awkwardly turning to the left slightly and has some featureless sides, but oh well. A track instead of the tiny wheel, and some rough GSing which needs tidying up, but I feel he is nearly complete. Anyone have anything that they see needs urgently changed before the final tidying up and basecoating?

Beyond possibly adding a grot or a squig to the front faring no, it looks much better.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

That fist is clearly meant to be the counts as Canis-wolfbutt mount for your new crimson fist army.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

richyp posted:

Before I start highlighting this bitch, do the colours look ok? It's my variation on the Nordland Blue/Yellow.

(White primer was a success this time, thanks to the tips from PV)

After a quick test in photoshop I think orange feathers would look better as they contrast the blue but doesn't clash with the yellow. Also make the feathers multi-tonal, few birds have feathers of unbroken colour.

http://www.islandemu.com.au/orange-emu-feathers-pi-106.html

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Pic-whoring ITT. I suck at taking pics but I really like how these came out so here a lot of pics of them.

Full group:

The Guns: Black primer, boltgun base, badab wash, brown wash on little spots, blue touches here and there to taste?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

So for my blood angels High Elves, what should I base them with? Obviously with all the warm colors it should be something grey and dead, right?

I was going to say use the contrast notion of green goes with red, but upon reflection a healthy green grass base would likely pull your eye off the mini so a black small rocks/pebbles base with a grey hi-lite and some tiny patches of dead static grass would probably be a better idea.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I just ordered one of those series 7 "miniature" brushes, with the shorter hairs. Ill post a trip report as soon as I get a chance to use it

With regard to dry brushing what brush do you use? I think I'm using a brush with bristles that are too long, but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

bhsman posted:

Well this being a Slaaneshi conversion...:q:

Does that mean you'd now enjoy getting kneed in the groin?

• Locked thread