Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I've made a couple generic dungeon tiles using some nice color print outs glued to 1/8" thick posterboard. So now I'm wanting to get some trees/boulders/generic land features to add for flavor. Any ideas on where those could be had for cheap, or good methods for making some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I've made a couple generic dungeon tiles using some nice color print outs glued to 1/8" thick posterboard. So now I'm wanting to get some trees/boulders/generic land features to add for flavor. Any ideas on where those could be had for cheap, or good methods for making some?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I am new to painting and just need to get a couple of good brushes. Can someone recommend me a good set from Amazon that has brushes small enough to do eyes and other tiny details?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What is this lady using for glue at THIS point in the video?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

SRM posted:

Yeah, that's what watered down PVA glue looks like. It's usually used to glue basing sand and such on, exactly as she's using it.

Guess I should give this stuff a try. Regular super glue for basic stuff like gravel and such apparently sucks.

One more question - in that video she uses three types of flock. I really like the last one she uses, the one she applies with chopsticks. What kind is that and where can I order some?

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 6, 2012

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I'd like to get into crafting a few east terrain pieces for my tabletop group. Nothing too fancy but basic boulders and maybe a few forest pieces and such. What do you guys recommend as far as styrofoam and cutting tools go? Should I get one of those hot wire cutting tools or just use regular exactoknives and such?

Thanks!
VVVVV

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 7, 2012

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What do you recommend for a base for small to medium size pieces (about saucer plate size)? I've seen sheets of condensed fiberboard at home depot that might work. They are rigid but I wonder if that's too heavy for small pieces.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What did you use for the blades of grass? That's the exact flock I want to use.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
For any of you who do magnetic basing/storage, I think I'm going to just glue washers to my bases and use a magnetic strip in my container for storage. Any recommendations for which magnetic strips to use? I've heard some of them are much weaker than others.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Those guard look loving BAD rear end. Love the desert scheme. Post more pics!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

OneTrueBru posted:

The gloss provides a lovely, smooth surface for any following layers. Additionally, as El Estrago Bonito posted, matte varnish alone is pretty iffy when it comes to protecting a paintjob.

If you're gonna be handling a miniature at all, I'd err on the side of caution and slap some gloss on there.

Can you describe in detail how you apply these?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hey everyone. I am going to be customizing a toy Quinjet for our 40k gaming group and I need some help identifying a part. This first picture shows what I'm aiming to do.

Under the wings of the model, this guy has attached some sort of vent piece that traces the length of the plane, allowing him to attach weapons onto it. I'd like to do the same but have no idea what part would work as my knowledge of 40k models is very limited. Any ideas?

Here is a pic of the original toy, unmodified.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I got my quinjet model in the mail today and gave it a good couple coats with gray mini primer. The coats seemed to cover the surface ok but there are little granules all over the surface that come off with a little abrasion. What did I do wrong and how should I fix it?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Where's the cheapest place to get Green stuff? Or is there another product that does the same thing?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So two questions.

1. Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of stickiness on my hands when using green stuff? I have the yellow and blue tubes that you have to mash together and that stuff sticks to my skin like superglue.

2. Where/how can I get the best deal for superglue? I buy it at home depot when I happen to be there but it seems pricey.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I used green stuff to repair some door joints on a large plastic model. What is the best way to cut/trim/sand away the excess without damaging the joint? Just sandpaper?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Um, yes please. The base is almost as impressive as the model!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok so I'm needing some advice on what to do next with my Aurora dropship model I've been working on. I bought it on ebay not knowing the first thing about using green stuff and spent a few days fixing all the broken poo poo on it, then I taped off parts of the ship I wanted to keep as is and painted the rest in a krylon primer coat. Here's how it's looking right now.

I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of model (lots of flat surfaces, potential for one color over a large area) so I thought I'd hit up you guys for some ideas.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
There's a guy I know offering to sell me his Testor's Aztek airbrush for $40. Any reason I shouldn't take him up on that?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Thanks!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
A dark wash on the armor bits will produce some nice creases and shadows. I would also consider a dark gray or black along the trim lines of the armor. Some blood on the axe or spattered all over the figure might be cool as well.

Basically all your metal is the same color which makes it look bland. You're right the flesh tones look pretty good!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

GaistHeidegger posted:

Introduced some gun metal to the top and bottom plates on his boots before hitting some armor wash in, ditto the main shoulder-pad, axe-brace and bracers. I took a red tone wash to his trailing cloth, a soft brown tone onto the furs for his boots and loincloth. I tried some clear red tamiya paint on the axe-head, it is hard to get it to streak but it seems to have come on generally alright. How's this?

MUCH better in my opinion. What do you think?

EDIT: The bloody axe seals it for me, and makes his pose seem much more bad rear end (and justified!).

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 2, 2014

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Serotonin posted:

Heres my effort

Wow. Not only is your group awesome but I really like this. You didn't go overboard with the blood which would have been very tempting to do. I really like that the bottom of the tunic is bloody but the top is still pristine. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Sorry if this has been referenced multiple times in the thread, but I'm looking for a US-based supplier of ~6mm grass fibers for basing. The only place I can find some online is from Australia and I hate to wait for 2+ weeks shipping.

Also, how do you get that really cool effect of grass tufts where the inner part of the tuft is a different color green, making the tuft look more alive? I've done some uniform green tufts and they look pretty good, but I'd kill to learn that technique.

• Locked thread