Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Working on one of my first models:

Things I have learned: yeep, I am still a two-dimensional oil painter and that's all there is to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So is there like a retailer that sells good modeling paints with colors similar to Citadel paints in sizes bigger than 12 mL?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've been working off-and-on for two years on this little poo poo and I'm over it god drat.

Why two years? Because the 1,000ish points of Salamanders that I bought and put together in 2012 was something I lost interest in and stashed away in the closet or garage. Since I've kicked the Magic habit for almost a year, I think it's time I finish these little pukes off as I dive into a new addiction of arts and crafts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I need to get some of those Lego orange flame pieces and glue them to the ends of my flamer weapons.

I am a literal child.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm having all sorts of fun trying to paint space marines that I assembled first. Getting behind their arms is not exactly easy to paint and I'm a picky person and would prefer that kind of thing be painted even if it will be mostly invisible. It's a frustrating thing for me to concede that I'll have to leave things like the ornamentation on the armor untouched.

So for this last tactical squad set I bought last weekend, I decided to try painting the models in pieces. I did remove them from the sprue and glued together the heads, torsos, and legs together and the right arms that are holding guns. The shoulder pads and backpacks are all still loose. This should satisfy my desire to at least get a more complete paint job done and I haven't tried this method of painting models yet. I'm not aiming for a quality of work that I can submit these to a gallery, but I do like it when my things look good.

I got a little carried away with my base coats today and painted over spots that I know I'll be gluing to the bodies. Is it absolutely necessary to scratch off the paint before I start gluing parts together or will I be okay as long as I'm not using a Mickey Mouse-brand superglue?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Put most of an imperial knight together today. I need to paint it before I start attaching the legs and arms to the body. I was a bit bummed that I couldn't assemble both of its cannons so I could swap them out on a whim, but oh well. Now I just need to Salamander the poo poo out of this.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HardCoil posted:

I got a thing:

Totally awesome workstation from here: http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/

It's awesome because I have basically everything modelling related there. Living in an appartment without a hobby room, I can just go get this and get in an hour's worth of nerd time, very easily. I also have one of their paint stations, and that's the same principle.

I may or may not have just impulse bought that.

EDIT: I almost did until I saw the cost of shipping from Poland, which was almost $59.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 24, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So, as I'm painting, I keep noticing little streaks of paint on my models. They're raised a little bit so the surface isn't smooth. I'm trying to lightly dry brush, but I can't quite keep a smooth surface. I know some of it is from the base coat, but there are some dried paint blobs in corners.

Is this just something that's unavoidable when painting with a brush or is there something I can do to improve technique?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm marinating a bunch of models in a bucket full of 409. Even after two hours, the paint's starting to come off pretty easily because I painted so thick. Repainting all of these is gonna suck because I'm so slow at it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
At what point can I re-prime models that I've stripped? I had a bunch soaking in 409 for a weak and am now trying to scratch off and sand down what's left of any base coating or other layers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pierzak posted:

Wrong. 30 mins in nitro solvent, brush paint off, leave overnight in acetone to dissolve glue, wash, dry, good as new.

Is that safe for plastic and resin?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm painting my Salamanders' helmet lenses yellow. It feels sacrilegious because it's not red but whatever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fyrbrand posted:

The studio scheme uses yellow, or at least it did when I was still doing 40k. I preferred and did red on mine, but yellow is cool too.

Zark the Damned posted:

Heretic! :commissar: Everyone knows the true Salamanders colours are dark green with red lenses and red left arms on the apothecaries with yellow helmet markings for sergeants! (and also Dark Angels wear black and never stole the original Salamanders scheme)

They are my little duders. And I feel so much better about painting them since I decided that I would paint my infantry in pieces rather than gluing the whole model together first.

Paint's still thick but I'm starting to get this down. I'll have to strip my first ten tactical marines since my original paint job was so thick that I've lost a few details like eyes and stuff to the paint. Also wish I had a steadier hand but I'm a shaky, delicate little flower.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My second attempt at painting this model is coming along better after I stripped it a month ago. Paint's still thick in spots but much better.

And after an evening of finishing it up and watching WCS America, it's mostly finished.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 13, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Today was the day that I finally learned that Vellejo paints are better than Citadel. They're cheaper by about 70 cents and you get almost 50% more paint out of them. If only I had learned this sooner!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Current work in progress:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am going to attempt to paint this on my Salamanders command squad's company standard:

Star Man fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know what's awesome about working on a drawing table with a metal pencil guard? It's a place to put your magnets.

• Locked thread