Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So after wandering into a GW late on a Thursday night (a bit drunk) a couple of months ago, I decided I would get back into things after a 10 year gap. I was never into the gaming side, and just painted. Till now exclusively fantasy so this was a bit of a change.

Model is one of the old metal furiouso dreadnoughts I found in my bits box, converted to a Deathwing model ( as i hate painting red)

I'm pretty pleased with the result, although it wasnt quite like riding a bike after such a gap. Lots of re-learning throughout!

One thing I did realise whilst painting is how good the plastic models have got nowadays. I always used to hate painting them (the weight just felt wrong in my hands), and was adamant I'd be paiting something metal, but the moulding on this one when comparing it to the new models just doesnt stand up. Ah well

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Entered the Dreadnought I posted a few pages back into the Cardiff store painting comp and got 1st place in the over 16's category.

I'm 27 though :gbsmith:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Snikch incoming:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 21, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GravyMiser posted:

Am I the only person that is really bothered by this guy's cape? One edge of it so much longer than the other. I never see anybody discuss it, but it drives me crazy when I look at it.

I dunno, I can see where you are coming from. Still think the model is awesome though :)

The 3 blades in the Skaven 3 pointed thing arrangement was genius

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 8, 2009

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Furret Basket posted:

Myopic, do you know the best place to get Johnson's Klear? it seems to be that Wilkos stock it, which is terrible because bullshit-awful-Manchester is THE ONLY CITY IN THE COUNTRY that does not have a Wilkinsons.

Cardiff is lacking too. I was in shock when I discovered what a backwards place I had moved too..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I know "hurr sausage legs," but I think the new Doombull looks loving awesome. I want one, even if I know it'll never look as cool as the studio model. Whoever painted it made it look like a painting out of an Eberron sourcebook, and that's sweet as hell.

The pictures really don't do the model justice either. The thing is bloody huge, barely fits on the base and good luck ranking it up with any other minotaurs

Very meaty model indeed

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Shallow posted:

Oh god I am popular at spacemen.

Just dived back to find a few things I remember liking:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post368176366

Thank you, thats really made my day :unsmith:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Doomwheel Ahoy:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

The sun buggered off just as I set up to take pics, so they're not the greatest.

Also just couldn't resist doing Yog-Sothoth's yellow Skaven!

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 21, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cakefool posted:

I use a white fabric pop-up ikea £1 bin with a pair of little halogen lights through the fabric.

Don't suppose you could find it on the ikea website and post a link? My photography at the moment is entirely based on the availability of the sun, and it seems to dislike Cardiff most of the time..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Skarsnik you can pick one up in primark for £2 that's what I did. You'll have to take your craft knife to the top though and open it up, just to make things easier.

nice one, will have a look tomorrow

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So I've just finished assembling a Doombull

First up, Goddamn I hate multi part metal miniatures. It was a bitch to get together and now I've got a ridiculous amount of gap filling to do

However, it does look brilliant. It is HUGE. Stands taller than a Dreadnought

Speaking of dreads, got a look at the new Goff Dread. Its absolutely beautiful, everything you'd want in a big orky thing. Seems really sturdy too, despite the silly amount of bits sticking off it. Made the new venerable dread next to it look very small and dinky.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I waste a bunch of paint in my dry palette but only because I am terrible at estimating how much I'm going to need, or how much of the highlight color I need to mix into the base to get the shade I want. I've ceased caring about it.

Same here and never really cared about how much I am using. Is it just an American thing to worry about? Are paints a lot more expensive or harder to get than over here in Blighty? :britain:

Apart from the main primary colours I've never found myself having to buy excessive amounts of anything, it all seems to last ages. Not having a go just curious really

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Doombull incoming:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 21, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

anarchywrksbest posted:

Cross posting from the Oath thread.

I've been painting the odd Space Wolf model here and there, but this is definitely the one I am most happy with so far!

This looks like a very happy dreadnaught. Its as if he's bounding up to someone to show him what he's just found :v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bhyo posted:

Whats the differance between a wash and a glaze?

As far as I can tell they are almost exactly the same but somehow magically do different things.

A wash is designed to flow off the raised surfaces and into the recesses for shading

A glaze is much much thinner and is designed to cover the whole surface in a transparent layer of pigment.

Getting the thickness of a glaze right can be hard, but you can get glazing mediums that do the work for you

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Doombull I posted here just won me best monster and then best overall at the Cardiff store painting comp.

I've got a certificate that says I'm a PAINTING & MODELLING HERO! :unsmith:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 11, 2010

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Haven't posted anything in a while as free painting time been seriously reduced recently, but here's a little WIP of my current project:

Click here for the full 1024x864 image.

Click here for the full 1024x649 image.

Click here for the full 1024x841 image.

Click here for the full 1024x864 image.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What's a decent warpstone formula? I have a terrifying urge to rim all my Skaven on warpstone...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=6&aId=6000022a&start=7

This worked well for me, though I didn't do the final glaze of rotting flesh as liked it better without.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cross posting this to ask a more thread relevant question:

Skarsnik posted:

So was in a weird comic shop down the road from my new job, that had an odd junk section in the back and came across this:

Hell Yeah

Whats currently the best UK available model paint stripper out there? Obviously the US only Simple Greens etc are out..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I like Fairy Power Spray. Put it on and let it sit for half an hour or so before scrubbing.

Sounds good to me, cheers

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

crime fighting hog posted:

Can anyone recommend a paint-on primer that isn't gesso?

chaos black, it'll work just fine, seriously

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Chenghiz posted:

Paint is not primer. Primer is specifically designed to have more tooth and to stick to the model underneath.

Yes, but for small bits like in this case and touching up missed areas from the spray it will work just fine.

And as others have said, it worked when I was young :argh:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PaintVagrant posted:

Pretty sure he is right

Pretty sure he is right too

Ain't no way I'd undercoat an entire model by brush, even if my 1989 citadel painting guide says otherwise :v:

We are talking about different situations here, so we cool

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blood Angel Assault Terminators Incoming:

Not collecting Blood Angels as such, but wanted to paint some Terminators. I've always hated painting red, and usually avoid it. Decided to man up and learn, so BA's it was

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 21, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been working on this on and off for a few months, left it alone for a while to do some oathing, but finally got it finished

Deff Dread Incoming:

You can never have too many checks on an orky thing

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 21, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

Basically everything Skarsnik paints is ownage.

Aw thanks :glomp:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is really nice. Now tell me how you painted the Imperial Fist or I will cut you.

It was quite a long time ago, but pretty sure it was a Taucept Ochre base, then Iyandun Darksun, Sepia Wash then Golden Yellow. Didnt bother with much in the way of highlighting as I knew I was going to beat him up so much.

I've got another painted up the same way, and the orignal idea was to base them up on a big base together and make a little diorama:

Click here for the full 1024x649 image.

Click here for the full 1024x841 image.

One day I may make a big base to put them on together, but I really need to not look at the dread for a while, has taken so long to finish I got a little sick of it come the end, hence the oath break.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PaintVagrant posted:

Not sure what it is about marine eye lenses it is you do, but it looks the loving nuts. I can never get em looking that good

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Death Company Incoming:

Thought these guys were going to be fairly simple to paint, as the bulk of them are black. But each of these fuckers has about 15 purity seals, hundreds of blood drops, and a load of rather badly sculpted rope. Still, fairly pleased with the way they came out, even if I was cursing them towards the end

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 21, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

The reason I do it is the oath thread is pretty devoid of actual discussion, whereas I at least potentially get more useful feedback here.

This here. The oath thread isnt really about painting discussion, and we have to post the pictures there to be part of it. But I'm generally more interested in the c&c that goes on in this thread

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

To that end, I'll say that I freaking love your stuff (as always) but if I had to offer a suggestion, maybe push the contrast a little more on the gems? That is, a brighter highlight and darker shade. There's a few mold lines too, but nothing that would really be seen from tabletop I think. They're also in places I tend to forget or give up on anyway= wrists/arms, plasma coils, etc.

Yep, the mold lines were all a pain. I think I may have to stop the whole oathing thing. I've got so little painting time available and these were really rushed. The gems and rope especially, as due to a change of work plans I suddenly lost a week of painting time

Think I'll stick to spending as much time as I drat well please!

(this is why I post in the painting thread)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So the Deff Dread I posted recently got into the final round of Golden Daemon, didn't win anything but it was pretty cool seeing it in the finalists cabinet :)

Funny thing is I only took it with me as the GD queue to get in is half the size of the main one

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Only just had a chance since Sunday to get my photos up

Woop Woop, thats mine bottom right :)

I'll put the rest of the GD pics in the main thread

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

S.J. posted:

Obviously the issue here is that you didn't have a big enough pedestal for your mini :v:

I hate to say it but its true, I need to go buy some doorknobs.

They weren't nearly as bad this time round as in previous years, but mine looked silly without one :(

It should be the other way round damnit :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

I thought the big display bases got banned?

(Also congrats Skarsnik.)

They did in most categories, but not mine unfortunately:

"Although most of these models tend not to be supplied with a base, it is quite acceptable for you to mount the vehicle on a modest base (no more than 20mm larger than the vehicle itself)"

For other categories, it had to be an appropriately sized base. However it didn't stop you putting that appropriately sized base on a doorknob.

The rules stated they had to be removable from the doorknob, and they would be removed from them during judging. I didn't see a single bit of judging though where they actually did this though :(

edit: Da Rules: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/c...500056a&start=2

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 27, 2010

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

enri posted:

Right motherbitches, I've enjoyed painting this little guy.. he's still not finished but eh, almost there.

My favourite bit is the skull hanging from his weapon, really happy with the highlighting on it :3: and also gotta say the IoB sculpts are fantastic quality.. I was half expecting the 'eavy metal versions to just be really clever painting covering up a bad sculpt ala BfSP Gobbos / Dwarves but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Little Skaven warlock engineer dude from the IoB set:

This is awesome.

For pretty much anything Orky or Skaven I always use a mix of black and boltgun as a base, to the point that I've got a couple of pots of it premixed. I did play around with using that dark metallic that you can only get in the starter set for some reason, but its not quite the same

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Any know if it is a bad idea to use gw boltgun or other metals in a spray gun. Not sure if it is different enough than normal acrylics. It is not a gravity feed spray gun.

MSP and I have the same one sushi has. Or at least I think it was sushi. He took a picture of it with a big middle finger pointed at to so I guess it is a lovely model but the price was right.

I can get the offical model name if that matters.

I've just basecoated a bunch of models in shining gold with an airbrush. Took a lot of trial and error but got a good result in the end. Thinnng with a mixture of water and window cleaner. Fairly low flow rate, and not thinned nearly as much as normal colours. Wasted 3 pots before I got it right though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

AbdominalSnowman posted:

So I am trying to set up a little lightbox or something so I can take pictures that don't suck, but I also need a tripod and probably a few more light sources (only have a desk lamp with a clear bulb). Is something like this worth the money?

http://cgi.ebay.com/19-5-Photo-Tent-Studio-Tripod-Light-Photography-Box-/300365220727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ef298b77

It's a little pricey but it has a tripod, lights, and a box. I know I can make my own, but once I buy the materials, the lights, and the tripod and spend all the time putting it together, the price difference is probably negligible. Any thoughts? Is there a super-obvious solution to my problem that I am missing?

This is the exact same box I have, really like it. Have a look at the stuff I've posted in the thread to see the results I've been getting from it. Everything from the blood angel termies onwards was done using that.

It also folds up nice and compact

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Chenghiz posted:

Do you use those lights?

Yep, and normally pull down the blinds so its only them lighting the box. Makes setting a custom white balance on the camera a lot simpler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Hmmm, I might have to pick one up then. I was worried it was going to be some sweatshop-produced hunk of poo poo and the lights would blow up when I plugged them in or something. How is the tripod? Do you even use it? Seems like a pretty nice kit and based on your pictures it looks like it works really well. My camera is a total piece of poo poo so it might not even matter, but eh.

For good pictures the tripod is definitely needed. Ideally you want to be taking your pictures at the the lowest ISO possible, and that means the slightest vibration = blur. I always use the 5 second timer on my camera for each shot, as just the act of pressing the button would blur it.

This article really sums the whole thing up, the only thing I would add to it is that if you can set a custom white balance on your camera, absolutely use it. If its got that setting, basically take a picture of a white piece of paper in the light box where you would be putting the model to set it.

http://www.miniaturewargaming.com/index.php/wiki/Photographing_Miniatures_From_Wee_Toy_Soldiers/

The only complaint about the box, is the way you fold it up always creases the background sheet thing in the worst place, as you can see here:

• Locked thread