Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

On the topic of Masters' brush cleaner, where in the UK can I get this stuff? I'm noticing major deterioration in my brushes already, and it's not like a use them that much...

I've found it in London Graphics Center, but they only seem to have the hand soap for mail order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Fearless posted:

Johnson's Klear (now known as Pledge Multi-Surface Wax) is known as Future floor polish in the US and Canada too I think. It's not particularly exotic, but it is often used to give a model a glossy coat for decals to better adhere to, remedy frosted clear parts and to better facilitate capillary action with washes for panel lines, among other things.

For a bit more, pick up acrylic flow improver - Vallejo do some, which is what I use. This has the same effect on the surface tension of the paint - reducing pooling, and is brilliant for thinning (added 20:1 water: flow improver). It is pretty toxic however, so not something for habitual brush-lickers...

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

prxi posted:

I've been working on some lizardmen and I'm kind of stuck.

I like how this guys scales turned out (green, blue and some yellow) but I pretty much can't figure out what to do with his spikes or the shield.

Originally I was going with yellow but that looks terrible, especially with the gold

Any thoughts on some directions I could take? I was thinking a dark purple might be cool, but I wanted to get some opinions before I did too much else.

Maybe blend off-white up the spines and a darker green for the shield? That'll pop the spines out a bit, and a good deep non-blue green should give the shield enough contract to show up well - think crocodile scales.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

I want to make my bases more interesting, especially since I'm using Kings of War style regiment bases (big fixed blocks of infantry you deploy and remove in one go) - I'm looking at typical dark-ages scenery/basing: brown rim, grey/brown stone, green grass.

Is there a good supplier of basing materials in the UK? I guess I'm looking for slate and cork - I already have sand and grass scatter, and I'm not that interested in static grass. Any 'unit fillers' for Orcs & Goblins would help too!

Horticultural grit or 'sharp sand' is pretty perfect - gives a kind of rough, rocky sand texture with small pebbles mixed in, coarser than sand.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Short of using bronze paint, just brown washes with maybe a wash of black on top until it's dark enough to your liking.

I've been using this for my attempts at bronze, although if you want the more polished look, you'll want to highlight up to gold+silver.

• Locked thread