Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akay
Apr 7, 2009
Well, someone made off with my DSLR camera last night from my car. So no Picture updates from me for a while. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Pagan posted:

I've had that happen too. Do you have renter's or homeowner's insurance? They should cover it.

Yeah, Been in contact with the Homeowners insurance, gotta see what they'll cover or not still.

All this means is that once it does get replaced, You'll get a huge mega-dump of terrible school bus yellow marines painted like a 5 year old in thread. =D

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Jetfire posted:

...uh, so am I blind, or did the current Warhammer GBS thread disappear?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3202832&pagenumber=119#pti22

LEGO Thread for users who love LEGOs.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I think it would have to be a lot bigger than a valkyrie unless it was for epic scale.

This is beyond awesome. I need to go find if he scratch built this or worked off another model.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

Do you happen to do other goofy models upon request? Because I need me a Catbug.

*snip*

Everyone needs a Catbug.

This is amazing and I kind of want to steal it for my avatar.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009
Whats the secret to getting wash to apply without it drying too quickly and looking splotchy? I tend to avoid washes on large flat surfaces for this reason.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009
Awesome, that's what I have been doing.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

gilljoy posted:

So I decided to re-paint the tank as iyanden

I think it looks far better than before

*snip*

what colors are those yellows, if you're using the Vallehjo air, and if you are, how do they match to the new golden yellow? I may have to pick some of those up.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Moola posted:

Personally I would say don't use dettol for stripping ever! Sure it works, but it loving stinks, leaves a horrible weird gunk on models and doesn't react well with water (causes the gunk).

Fairy power spray is so much easier to work with. It doesn't stink, doesn't leave the horrible residue and reacts with water perfectly fine. In fact I've found a few squirts and about 5% water added to the spray makes it even more effective. (I swear I don't work for Fairy, even though that sounded like an advert...)

I used to use Simple green, but recently I swapped to Brake Fluid. couldn't be happier, and any gunk washes off with water easily. (It's also lightning quick, I can strip a mini in under an hour)

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, but disposing brake fluid is a pain because, unlike Dettol, Power Spray or Simple Green, you can't just tip it down the sink.

Sure you can! if its DOT3 or DOT4 you can mix with hot water and dump down the drain, its bio-degradable and water soluble.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Lethemonster posted:

Jesus christ if you really need to use brake fluid so you don't have to spend an extra few seconds scrubbing old paint of a small piece of plastic you should really take a break and reevaluate how you spend the rest of your free time. I'm pretty sure you can cut out watching a TV programme here or there instead of saying 'well gently caress the local water cycle'.

I get very little free time as is (and don't watch TV). I'm also stripping something like 115 marines, 4 land raiders, 3 Rhinos, 6 Dreadnoughts, and a silly amount of IG, so yes, the extra couple minutes of scrubbing/hours of waiting for simple green to kick in adds up.

berzerkmonkey posted:

let the liquid evaporate and throw the dried up junk in the trash.

I'll just do this from here on out. Originally I heard it from someone at the local automotive shop, apparently I probably shouldn't go back there.

Akay fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 6, 2013

Akay
Apr 7, 2009
I finally got a yellow I'm happy with! Yay!

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Bavius posted:

How'd you do it?

Prime White, Then Airbrush one coat Vallejo Game Color Squid Pink
Then airbrush one coat GW/Citadel Yriel Yellow.

Though it works fine with a regular brush too, as long as you get an even coat.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Yellow over pink eh? I'm intrigued and will have to try this.

I was skeptical at first but after trying it gives a very warm yellow after only 2 coats, so I can't knock it!

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

I love everything about this, but the hand is so ... :gay:

I wasnt going to say it cause it's awesome, but it is a little bit off looking. it would be better if he was pointing with 2 fingers and had ring/pinky rolled in?

Like I get the motion but without the actual action happening its hard to get that across in a model

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So I'm thinking of getting babby's first airbrush. I'm trying to do this somewhat on a budget, and I was looking around, and I was thinking of getting a Badger Patriot 105 brush and a Paasche D3000R compressor/tank. I'm fairly confident about my choice of brush (the large needle should be good especially as I'm planning on airbrushing citadel metallics, no?), but I'm not sure about the regulator. Also, would I need some kind of hose interconnect or something because of the different brands? Is there something I'm overlooking having had no experience with airbrushes before?

I have a patriot 105 and I love it for doing basecoating and the like and especially tanks. I wish I had a slightly smaller needle now that I'm more confident in my airbrushing skills though.

I have an iwata compressor, and between the brush and the compressor it came with all of the hoses I'd need and a converter, I'd think yours would too.

fakeedit: I just looked up that compressor and it has the regulator attach directly to the compressor/tank and the connection off those is pretty standard, you should be fine.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Avenger_Mullah posted:

I love when you post guides, richyp.

Do you (or anybody else) have any suggestions for painting really bright pink?

Ooh! I do squid pink from Vallejo over a white primer. with 1 or 2 watered down coats it comes out super bright. you can mix in a drop of white paint as well if you want a lighter shade.

I tend to use an airbrush for this as well.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Use a purple wash

red wash works OK as well if you're sparse with it. But either really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah that is sort of what I've got in mind. I'll look into Crackle Paint too. That sounds interesting. Thanks!

Eggshells? Got any image examples?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZcKKoA4qsKU/Te9HExkzxFI/AAAAAAAAEdQ/hLR1AStsSIk/s1600/028.JPG

is from the tutorial here:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/06/earth-dry-soil-effect.html

Im guessing the same thing, paint blues greys and whites.

• Locked thread