Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

:( X = :dong:

Pagan posted:

Has anyone actually purchased videos from

http://www.miniaturementor.com/painting_tutorials.html these guys? Is it worth it? I'd love to be able to see someone paint, so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong, but at those prices it's pretty steep.
I bought the Wolfen one a while back, and its worth pointing out a few things:

Firstly, its not a guide to painting the whole model from start to finish, theres a section where he just does the skin, one where he just does the flesh etc, if memory serves not although most parts of the model are covered, a couple aren't (I seem to remember a section on the sword, but nothing about the staff for example). Also, the paintjob he gives the model has blueish skin, even though the picture in the products part shows it with white.

The painter's english is good, but not perfect, which means its tricky for him to explain what he's doing to the guy making the video, its not a big deal but its noticable at times.

I wouldn't reccomend it if you're looking at how you should be painting, the french style is time-consuming as hell, and he covers techniques far better suited for display pieces than TT guys. But if you have the cash spare, theres certainly worse ways it could be spent, the overall quality of the tutorial is good, and its nice to see how the GD winners tackle ever the basic stuff like priming and paint thickness (we're talking something like 8 layers for a smooth basecoat :suicide: ). I picked up the DVD simply because I prefer to have something physical, if you're unsure, could be worth getting the 30 dollar download, just don't expect it to turn you into a PR0 P41NT3R!!11! overnight.

The GBS thread got me back into the hobby after about a year, hopefully i'll be able to kick my lazy arse into gear and get some painting done.

This thread needs more orks (not mine):

Click here for the full 575x618 image.

Click here for the full 650x359 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

The original true-scale marines with chaos warrior legs are the best true-scale marines :colbert:

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I like to wipe the brush along a bit of tissue to take off the excess when I'm using thin paints. You can see some of the paint that comes off, and a much larger area of moisture that would have caused the puddling.
Do this, even just dabbing the side of the brush against some tissue gets rid of a large amount of the water, which should make it easier to paint with.

Oh, and heres what i'm working on:

Camera died after one picture so I can't show off the slapdash and lazy bionic arm :(
Oh, and the gun barrel has been drilled and he's primed now, any ideas what colour to do the power weapon to go nicely with green armour?

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I love green stuff for the most part, but I find that there isn't enough contrast from light and shadow when I work with green stuff for my taste.

Fake Edit: I've never worked with brown stuff, but I imagine that the darkness of the material will be similar to green stuff, which doesn't fix the problem.

Real Edit: Always fun when the website you link pages to has the same URL for two different pages! :hurr:
Brown stuff is harder than green stuff and can be filed after it sets, so its better for things like armour, procreate is a combination of the two, add more putty for GS qualities, more hardener for brown. Its also easier to see how much of one you've added in the final colour of the stuff, worth getting imo.

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

richyp posted:

I just bought some white primer, lets break the 20 year cycle of poopy paint.

Anyone got basing recommendations for some Empire dudes painted in Nordland colours (half blue and yellow)? (lol twigs and purple cones)
Something like this, it would take a while but the end product should be pretty good.

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

This is my monthly "washes own, best thing GW's put out in years" post, qtiyd

Also, anyone know a place to get cheap cart wheels, around the same size as the ones in the empire cannon/mortar kit?

edit:

richyp posted:

Before I start highlighting this bitch, do the colours look ok? It's my variation on the Nordland Blue/Yellow.

(White primer was a success this time, thanks to the tips from PV)

Colours look great :)

Spacefrog fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 27, 2010

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

Feels good man

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

Crossposting this from fantasy thread

The sword hilt looks darker in real life I swear :ohdear:
Still, i'm pretty happy considering it only took about 5 hours, its not perfect but I was aiming for tabletop standard, so i'll live.

Spacefrog fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

So has Ultraforge stopped selling stuff from its site? They've had the 'taking a break, back in January' message up for over a year now.

• Locked thread