Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

This is the first dude I've ever painted. His name is Grobnak the Wild-Eyed. He's really small and a bitch to paint and I kinda did really lovely at it. Alright bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, I tried like three different ways of doing eyes and was honestly getting exhausted of doing it so I was fine with the dumb eyes I ended up with. I don't know what that black mark on the shield is so I wanna repaint that. I have like no painting background (the last time I used a paintbrush was in seventh grade) so my paint didn't go on very even.

On the topic of assembly: I have trouble getting rid of the sprue mark things. I do the best I can taking it off, chip off some more with a boxcutter and then just get the remainder with my nail or something. Is there a better way or is having a little bit left over the nature of the thing?

Also, I have like 16 facemasks but no idea how to get them on figures. I guess the facemasks will only fit on certain heads?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Are there any good highlighting FAQs? I'm trying to paint a Salamanders army and I hate how flat my colors look. :smith:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I have a pot of something called 'Imperial Primer' by Citadel, and I'm not sure what the hell it's for (my friend gave me a bunch of stuff)?

Also, did they get rid of most of their washes?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think you can gently caress right off because I have trouble painting edge highlights and you come here with that

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Did you use a thick paint or something that's obfuscating details on the chest?

It seems weird that a model would have such a...boring surface.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

S.J. posted:

On the chest and helmet, sure. Just about everything else is a giant blank space. Dem shoulderpads.

Have you painted a Tactical Marine lately? Literally every piece except the shoulderpads have details, and the shoulderpads are supposed to be chapter icons and poo poo.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm painting a jump pack chaplain right now and I'm painting the bulk of him in a combination of Abbadon black and mechanicus standard grey, and I'm not sure what color to do my edging in. Is straight mechanicus standard an alright choice or should I do something lighter?

edit: also, what's a good technique for getting black in between things like grills? I primed black but the way my metallic paints are means I can't just get it on the raised portions.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 18, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well thanks, I don't even want to paint mine anymore. I'll just print out yours and tape it to mine. :smith:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, I don't think 3 colors is really enough. I don't like painting most of the emblems on SM models silver because that's what most of the 'technical' details get: things like cables, grills, etc. I think things like Black Templars/chaplains and stuff need a lot of 'busy work' (purity seals, stuff like that) or else they end up looking really boring if they stick to their scheme.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I dislike Abbadon Black because it is absurdly dark and will make things look boring, but I've never had any problems with it otherwise.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Just an update that I am still painting this jump pack Chaplain and I still loving hate it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think my problem is I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. I basecoated everything black, then I painted some brass trim, but whoops I need to paint this red, so now I need to repaint the brass again, and whoops now I need to touch more stuff up.

There is no winning.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This is the rear end in a top hat in question:

He is clearly not very close to being done. I did some edge highlighting immediately after basecoating, then thought 'why did I do this', so I painted his face (poorly) and went to work on his chains and brass bits. I'll try to get some pictures of the pack and bolt-pistol arm, but it's basically more of the same.

In particular, I need to:
touch up all the metallics
fix his face because what the gently caress
find a parchment shade that works. I mixed averland sunset with white scar but I guess my ratio was bad because instead of tarnished paper it looks like a sweaty loincloth.
figure out his crozius. I have no idea what I even want to do with it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know what 'dry brushing' is. I always dry my brush before painting, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've tried edge highlighting the weird details on the marine models (specifically referring to the bits at the top of the thigh plates) and I don't think it ever looks good/makes sense. Other than that I think it looks good but I am very bad at painting little mans, but you seem to have even line thickness, etc.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I just bought some 40k Centurions and want to make them as undoofy as possible. Should I just not use the crotchplate or should I cut the crotchplate free from the greaves?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

So this is like the fifth thing I've ever painted. Obviously it's just legs, but I have some questions.

Edge highlighting: what the gently caress? Even with a super-fine detail brush I'm having trouble making these lines an even size. They look 'fine' when they're not being magnified by a camera zoom/desktop, but still, I'd like to work on it so any pointers would help.

A more specific question: how do I make these guys (the Centurions) look interesting? They're going to be Iron Hands, so basically just...black and silver. Should I find some places to work in white or something?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So instead of finishing my Centurions I spent all day digging trough my trash to find the arms that somehow got thrown out!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I bought the Sternguard weapon pack just for a combi-plas. I am GW's favorite.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I ended up with a really nice black by just pouring water into my Abbadon Black and it's about the only useful thing I can figure out for it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
And then what? How many people are buying Infinity figures at stores? I have literally never seen one. Hell, my FLGS doesn't even carry Privateer Press. A store further away but much bigger is still 3 wall shelves of GW, and then everything else combined only has 2 shelves. If you're not going to sell GW you're going to miss selling to like 60 percent of the market.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's pretty circular though. Of course no one is buying Infinity figures in stores that don't carry them. My LGS has GW stuff and Privateer stuff, but they have a half dozen regular Infinity and Malifaux players (each) but can't stock that stuff because they have literally no more room, and are not allowed to lower their GW stock even though people don't buy 80% of it. No one plays LOTR, but they have to stock it anyway because GW won't let them sell paint or 40K otherwise.

Obviously, but that's not the point. Your local store has half a dozen each of Infinity and Malifaux players, but how many WH40k players does it have? My crappy store in East Jesus Nowhere, NJ, still moves old GW poo poo that I'm amazed sells. I don't know any Hobbit players but I still think you're going to do better selling GW and moving Tac Marine boxes and taking the Hobbit loss than relying on selling someone 5 infinity models.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I find it very hard to believe that GW is forcing people to sell Hobbit minis with the express purpose of attempting to burn shelf space from other companies. We aren't talking about GW sending people 1000 Frodo figures or something, and the amount of space I've seen dedicated to LotR would probably not even satisfy most small mini companies. It's GW trying to sell less popular product on the back of popular ones, they aren't trying to inundate shelf space.

On topic, how hard is it to convert Khan to ride something? I accidentally bought two and I guess one will be mounted and one will not, and I'm thinking of maybe converting one of the 30k jetbikes to a Moondrakkan, but how much of Khan can I actually expect to be using? It doesn't seem like much will transfer well.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How the gently caress do you paint white because this is miserable

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why would you prime white then basecoat black? Genuinely asking.

I'm painting some White Scars (a lot) and I was basecoating warpfriend grey and yeah it just looks like I'm painting over plastic.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Anyone have some good tips for painting the white scars symbol freehand?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Google 'devastator marine sergeant'. That's about as close as anything I find.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1060104

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This is a bad Attack Bike I am painting.

How do I make it less...boring? Or the white better? Or any suggestions?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
On that note, do you guys assemble and then paint, or paint and then assemble?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Who wants to help me figure out a cool color scheme for my Khorne WHFB army?

I was thinking either bone white, retro-as-hell stark red, or super-dark red-purple-crimson.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Of course I think my Agrellan Earth is broken. :smith:

How long should it take for the effect to happen?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

So I need help figuring out what to do with these Warriors.

I don't know what to do with the cloth bits for them or the cloak, or whether or not to stay with the rusted copper. There are a few other pieces that are not painted but I want to sort the bigger blocks out first.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
imgur is working for me, yeah.

So, I need help with my Warriors.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with their cloth/leather bits. Also, I think I overdid the rust on the copper.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 14, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

So this is the scheme I ended up with for my Warrior but it is pretty tentative. I don't know if it's what everyone is gonna get or not, but I'm working on a Skullhunter currently. It ended up a lot more desert-looking than I wanted, between the weird bone shade and my half-broken Agrellan Earth.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What do you use to glue together fortifications? I just bought an Imperial Bunker and have no idea how to get the drat thing to stick.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I failed out of community college so I believe you will find I am the expert at not being smart.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Khorne Flakes posted:

For larger plastic models like Land Raider, Monoliths, and fortress terrain; I use regular plastic cement, but wrap the poo poo out of the model in heavy rubber bands for most of the day. A lot of those big models will usually have gaps in between, and the rubber bands help keep the edges together correctly while letting the glue dry.

How would you do this with an Imperial Bunker? It just seems like it would explode.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

This is a (clearly not done) bunker I'm painting. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I don't know if it will do my White Scars any good but hey it is fun as hell to paint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Any time I use a GW wash it leaves this really gross texture/finish on my miniatures. Is that normal?

• Locked thread