Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I haven't painted miniatures in years but I'd like to start up again soon. Most of my paint pots have dried out, but I have a spray can of GW Chaos Black that might still be good. It's probably 5 years old or more. Does spray paint go "bad"?

Also, is it usually recommended to finish your models with a protective matte clear coat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Takkaryx posted:

I'm pretty sure you want to stay away from Krylon, but I can't remember.

The OP recommends Krylon. I just did some minis with Krylon flat black. Seemed okay.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Does anyone have any tips on how to paint a darker bronze/brass color like on this guy's shoulders and axe? My attempts always end up looking too much like gold. It looks like it is highlighted with a brighter silver color. I dunno. Thanks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Maybe a weird question but does anyone have a picture of a chaos space marine (or some other model) with ridged horns where the horns are painted black instead of bone colored? I have a mini I want to paint in Khorne colors and I think the red would look better with black horns, but I can't find any good examples. Just curious.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Monster w21 Faces posted:

This any use? Kinda glossy.

Thank you. That's not quite how it looked in my head.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

JerryLee posted:

Reaper Bones. This might be up your alley, but I'm not sure if it's 4+ inches. The line for sure has some models that are that big or bigger, but I'm not sure if any of them are nature elementals--most are probably dragons, though whenever they open the models from the second kickstarter up for regular sale, that'll add some variety.

You can page through the full range (again, current retail) here: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones

Thanks for pointing this out, this is neat. You can search specifically for a female dwarf holding a whip and wearing a hat. Finally.

Are there any other places you would recommend with nice miniatures that aren't necessarily for a game? I'm more interested in the paint mans than the shoot mans.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Thanks, I've never really looked at miniatures outside of GW and PP.

Should I be surprised at how many of these places have their share of titty wizards and butt elves? I was kind of hoping that kind of thing all came from a less visible corner of the hobby.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

This is the first mini I've actually finished in years and I'm quite happy with it. Would anyone like to give me some advice for next time?

This is my first time using washes successfully and also my first time trying to use glaze medium for highlights. I left too much paint on the brush the first few times, I think I can do better next time.

-or any tips on how to take better photos would be appreciated, too.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 5, 2015

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

JerryLee posted:

You painted that straight out of the gate after years of no practice and not having used washes successfully before?

My only advice to you is to stay on good terms with whatever demon you signed a pact with. Those always come with hidden costs.

Well thanks, but key word is "finished". I had some junk models from years ago that I practiced washes on. This is the first model in a long time that I didn't abandon half way through.

I did not word that post clearly, sorry.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 5, 2015

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Thanks!

- Yes, I did mix red and white. My last attempt couple years ago at painting red Khador had orange highlights and I thought it looked more orange than red, so I tried something different.
- I'll try to clean up the shield. I'm afraid that if I try to touch up the gold symbol I'm going to get gold everywhere, but I might as well give it a shot.
- I'll do some silver along the edges of the gold. I was trying to make it look more bronze and less gold... any tips on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

Short of using bronze paint, just brown washes with maybe a wash of black on top until it's dark enough to your liking.

I did bronze paint (Vallejo game color bronze) and then Agrax Earthshade. What would you suggest to highlight with? I was using gold, but that makes it look like gold and not bronze. The link from a few posts back suggested a brass color, but Vallejo game color brass looks very close to bronze and I don't think it would stand out.

• Locked thread