Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Work in Progress:

Second batch of my Sisters of Battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skarsnik posted:

Just found a 2 thirds full pot of Chestnut Ink :woop:

You can always get more. Coat D'Arms is still available.

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/coat_darms/paintcolours.php

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are a few companies that sell even more overpriced bits by the piece. It'll make you feel really dirty that you are paying that much for even smaller bits of molded plastic than you normally get, but they might have the stuff you need.

---

Can I get some glue suggestions and glue insight?

I'm a casual modeler (so sometimes my stuff sits in a box for six months before I come back around to working on it) and always end up with bottles of expensive CA glue that doesn't stick parts together anymore. It doesn't seem to dry out, as liquid still leaves the tip and honestly, I don't know the chemistry involved.

I don't like wasting it and I absolutely hate letting poo poo like that go bad.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magres posted:

I use Bob Smith Industries Maxi-Cure (I get it from Discount Games Inc because they used to be my FLGS and I like them, but you can get it lots of places) and love the stuff. It cures enough to hold things together fairly quickly, and given a few hours to really set, it'll tear apart the material it's gluing before the glue gives up the ghost. I like it a lot and it's not expensive

BSI is great glue. I've used a lot of it over the years, but I'm looking for any CA wisdom that might reduce the amount that gets wasted rather than pseudonymous brand recommendations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes. You can snip off the splayed bristles with a small pair of scissors or fingernail clippers, but you can also send it back and get another one. I always buy my brushes from art/craft supply stores

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pete Zah posted:

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little wary of adding water to the bottle since Bones don't do well with water, though, I probably wouldn't prime anything with elf flesh.

Slimnoid posted:

Reaper paints are acrylic, aka water based, so they have water in there already. Thinning the paint down with water is the basics of painting and won't affect Bones very much at all--plus, a drop or two isn't going to do anything other than help mix things up inside the bottle better.

You can also buy Matte Acrylic fluid at any art/craft store. I got a 250ml bottle for less than ten dollars.

---

I finally got around to getting my current space set up for painting. Apparently, those Harbor Freight lamps ship with daylight floro bulbs so that was a nice surprise. I haven't done any significant painting since I moved last year so this is almost exciting.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star Man posted:

You know what's awesome about working on a drawing table with a metal pencil guard? It's a place to put your magnets.

Fart school.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a set of elastic braces inexpensively at Goodwill. Then, I removed the crappy little snap clips and connect them to my trousers via split rings. This works better on heavier work pants than dressier trousers, as the split rings have begun to wear through the belt loops on my slacks. I'm thinking about stitching some kevlar thread into the edges to prevent further wear. The thin leather on the braces is also starting to wear, but I've worn them nearly daily for a year. I may replace the leather loops with some heavier scraps. I'm sure I can find something.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 10, 2015

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's merely your growing certainty about your impending death. I think a lot of people mix those two up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was a quick hack one day while I was really stoned. One day I'll go pro.

• Locked thread