Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PaintVagrant posted:

Thanks for the procreate suggestions duders, it worked way better for me than GS

This model was such a jerk, I split my thumb, razorsawed my left index finger, and put him together and took him apart like 7 times total. I didnt settle though, Im pretty happy with the end result :3:

Yeah, I agree with bhsman on this, not only is there too much going on, it's all over the place. Banners are going two ways which are different to the tabard with is different to the spear pennant which is different to the elbow gem (what?) which is different to him. They seem to imply a movement that the character just lacks. the torso is bolt upright, and the stance is too wide, so it looks like he's just balancing there. His feet are nearly as far apart as he is tall. I'd bring the legs a bit closer together and even go so far as to turn the front foot to point where he's looking. On top of that:

Otherwise, looking good. Be great to see him finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PaintVagrant posted:

I appreciate the diagrams and schematics, but I already started painting him soooo

So then you're going to have an overly busy, all over the place painted mini v0v Forgive me for thinking you'd like some constructive criticism and input after posting instead of a place to rubber-stamp your minis. Maybe you should get a blog to do that on?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yes that's exactly what you should do :rolleyes: But then again maybe if you gave bhsman's criticisms more than 8 words of thought maybe you'd be putting up pictures of a changed pose instead of posting pithy replies. You have a high standard dude, and I think this falls short and I've told you why. It's your mini, do what you want. I just don't think it's particularly good.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
That's cool man, it just looked like you were brushing off anyone what would criticise your work. With plastic tabards you're stuck with how they are, but the spear cloth looks like it's attached to that little ornament, and that can be snipped and flipped. And you shouldn't flip the elblow cloth, lose it altogether. Rotate the banners a bit and you're golden. They just detract from and confuse the direction you want him to be going. Depending on how far along you are, you should be able to make those little changes without too much damage to what painting you've already done. Like I said it's your mini, but even those little changes should have a big impact on it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

Here's some Imperial Fists I've been painting:

How many points does a pintle storm bolter cost for a paint pot?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Grandpa Pap posted:

While browsing around Warseer, I found what I thought was a very awesome BA Sanguinary Priest. I'm totally ripping this off when I start up a BA army. :v:

This guy have a thread or gallery you can link to? I'm 90% sure I know this dude.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ah, not my guy :( He paints unbelievably crisp Blood Angels too, which shows you don't need to weather the hell out of everything to make it look good. Thanks though man.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

:raise:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So after a long break (about 18 months) I've decided to warham again and am going through the wonderful period where I wonder why my paints from 1997 are still good while those from 2007 are all dried out. Brightened up immensely when I realised that Vallejo's Game Colour paints are the same shades as Citadel, come in more per bottle, have a dropper, are 2/3rds the price and are available on Maelstrom (which makes them 1/3rd Aus retail prices vs Citadel).

What I need some advice with are brushes. Mine are older Windsor and Newton starter brushes that are okay, but I'm not sure how long they'll last. Was thinking of picking up Citadel fine detail, detail, standard and base brushes, but from memory they're average quality at best. Have they gotten any better in the last couple of years, or are there other brushes that I can grab from Maelstrom that people would recommend?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

enri posted:

cement is the same thing as plastic glue though some people prefer to use super glue for everything instead (weirdos :orks:)

It's so I can easily snap apart old models and use them or their bits for other things :colbert:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ineptmule posted:

Welp, despite the hundreds of tonnes of free sand just 15 minutes from my house, the weather and the junkies resident at the beach drove me into Hobbycraft where I bought my first ever supply of basing material!

I'm having fun making the bases but one thing that concerns me is how to prevent the stuff from coming off both as I paint it and during everyday wear and tear of tabletop minis. The sand/gravel has been stuck down using watered-down PVA glue which seems like it might not be the most secure medium. Is there a way that I can ensure that the gravel will stay on the bases?

Like Fix said, seal the sand down with more PVA. PVA with a bit of water on the base, then apply your sand. Let it dry, then mix up 50-50 water-PVA and gently apply that all over the top of your sand. Leave that to dry for a couple of hours and your base will be rock steady and ready for priming.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I can't speak for Vallejo vs. Reaper, but I literally just got my Vallejo order a few hours ago and after using GW exclusively for years I am considering never going back. The Game Colour range are clones of GW's set, and include all the paints they no longer produce, including all but 2 inks and 2 Foundations. The dropper bottles take up less space and have more paint in them (17ml opposed to 12ml), and give you complete control over how much paint you are using at all times. Got a ratio you want to use but don't want to make up a whole new bottle? You can mix it on your palette right every single time. For me, the cost is amazing too. Instead of spending $6AUD in GW on a smaller pot that is nearly guaranteed to dry out, I can order a Vallejo Game Colour bottle that seals properly and has more paint in it shipped from the UK for $2.50. You do have to shake the hell out of them at first, but aside from that they are superior to the Citadel product in every way. I haven't tried any of their Heavy Opaque paints yet (Vallejo's version of Foundations), but I haven't heard any complaints about them. Aside from using the GW washes I have (because they are a genuinely awesome product), I don't think I'll buy another GW paint again.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Grandpa Pap posted:

I seriously got back into the hobby in 2001, and after a year or two*, I started using the GW paints when they had the screwcap lids. I dunno how bad the RP paints were, but the GW paints with those lids earned every bit of derision that hobbyists laid on them, just like the "flip-top" lids do nowadays.

I've been in the hobby since the 90's, but haven't picked up a brush for at least 18 months. My GW screwtop pots are all dry, and about 2/3rd of my pop-tops are a write off, yet the three old hex soft tops from the late 90's are still fine (I just can't open them without a bottle opener :v: ).

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
GW washes are designed to be used straight out of the pot.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hell Diver posted:

Ulric will be looking for his helmet. (your DE and Wolves are totally boss, dude)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hell Diver posted:

Now I feel like he needs just a little bit more to finish him off. I'm torn between a tattoo on the side of his face, or maybe blackened areas under his eyes or something. Just to make him a little more sinister than your normal old warrior.

Good choice man, the flesh of the face contrasts with the darkness of the armour and provides a nice bright focal point to the model. I think the darker eyes would do well, get a really really really tiny amount of unthinned Leviathan Purple and re shade under his eyes a couple of times. You've already shaded with it once so it should tie in perfectly.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
What's worse than finding an obvious mold line on a new plastic mini you just cleaned and basecoated? Finding an obvious mold line on an old metal mini that's been undercoated for 3 years :ughh:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Just did the biannual paint cull. Out of 60 GW pots 20 were beyond salvation but 20 more were saved thanks to a toothpick and a few drops of matte medium (including an old Brazen Brass :toot: ). I seriously don't know how I lived without this stuff before.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So hey I've been thinking about designs for my Guard regiment's insignias and instead of wanting to murder everything I see by trying to do little white lines freehand I was thinking of grabbing some printable waterslide paper and doing up my own transfers. Have any of you dudes played around with this stuff before? I know you need to get laser or ink specific paper, and I've heard you need to seal the print to the paper with some spray gloss otherwise it rubs right off, but are there any other things I should look out for?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sole.Sushi posted:

Grandpa Pap posted:

Cheers lads.

Nash posted:

Since the question is up, what is generally considered the best way to prime your figures? I'm talking the spray vs brush method. What seems to give better results for most people?

I go a quick black spray (thanks to whoever recommended White Knight, it's cheap and it owns) and then after half an hour go over the whole model with watered down black paint to fill in the nooks and crannies and to add another thin layer of undercoat.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Milkbags posted:

The reason is because some early SPACE ORKS apparently wore power armor. But not like Mega-Nobz, Power armor much like the Terran Marine armor from Starcraft. If thats not awesome, I dont know what is.

Like these?

(top two rows)

(middle row)

These are from the 1991 Citadel Blue Catalogue, you can have a poke around it and more here.

e: I can practically hear Bionik Eye saying "Zog, it's about toime."

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 19, 2011

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Be aware though that the older sculpts are tiny compared to the modern range.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hell Diver posted:

I do love the guy in the Valkyrie, rolling with no helmet, giving no fucks.

Everyone tells him to put one on, he just can't hear them over the intakes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Use Space Wolves Grey instead. Looking good, I'd maybe give the bases a wash of something or use a darker brown basecoat and darken them up to contrast the bright model on top a bit more.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 23, 2011

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Think I'll post this here, less chance of being swept away by Grey Knight plastics :v:

from the other thread:

adamantium|wang posted:

Not going for PaintVagrant Hell Diver glass-cabinet level quality, but something slightly above tabletop. Wanted to figure out a method that was simple to do and easy to replicate across a hundred plastic mans. Skin and leather add a bit of warmth to an otherwise cold scheme. No regimental or squad markings yet, still experimenting in PS to print some custom (probably white) decals. Was thinking of doing black base rims but the Scorched Brown on the rim brings out the same I used under they grey drybrushing on the base. Whaddya guys think?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I like it. What powerfist is that?

I'd consider painting the eyes, even though you're going for tabletop. They add so much to a model.

Command Squad power fist taken from the lovely 90 degree angle arm and put on a straight one. Skull is from a winged skull from an Imperial tank trimmed down. Face is fine, a bit washed out in the photos. I did think about doing the eyes but these ones are super squinty and none of my brushes can hold a point that narrow for more than 17 nanoseconds these days. Besides, at tabletop range it won't matter, and if I did do them my OCD would condemn me to do them on every single goddamned Guardsman. :(

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Thanks guys. Here's the Vox Caster.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

spacegoat posted:

Crosspostin'

Like I said, brown > bone base will probably set the dude off. Awesome work dude.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Crosspoastin' without the :words:

adamantium|wang posted:

As before, not top notch but above table top quality, with a few details to make 'em stand out. What do you guys think?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Wazzu posted:

And by some reports, codex grey has changed so much as to be like a new colour.

gently caress I knew it wasn't just me.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Well, whichever way they go we can be sure of one thing:

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

It's an excuse to jack prices up another 15%.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You know, if I did Grey Knights, I'd get myself a couple of flexible ammo belts. The pic they use for it is pretty horrible, but there are 5 styles of ammo belt there that are supposed to be a fit for bolters. They have larger ones for heavy bolters as well. They're a semi-flexible resin cast around a wire, so you can gently bend them to the shape you need them. A bit expensive at 6 quid for 5, each is 50mm long so one pack should see you a through a squad. If anyone gets them be sure to measure the feed aperture on the storm bolter to make sure you get a good fit.

e: wait, maybe scratch that. Dakka has a review up saying the quality ain't that good.

quote:

NOTE: Those hoping to use these to replace the new clips on the plastic grey knights should know that they are all slightly bigger than the ammo feeds on the metal miniatures. I do no know how they will fit with the new plastics as I have not been able to get my hands on them. However, you should note that the belt on the metal minis closely resembles the Y segment belt in the "Large ammo belt" set, that belt is nearly twice as large as the metal mini's belt though.

ee: here's the seller's thread on Dakka with more pics and size discussion.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 11, 2011

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

!amicable posted:

Where did this resin Angron come from? Also, head 1 is a lot cooler. The helmet actually looks pretty loving goofy in that shot.

The helmet looks goofy because it's smaller than his bare head, even without the horns.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Haven't seen anyone posting these in any of the threads lately. Maelstrom's having a 16% off Easter Sale until May 2nd.

quote:

Hi there,

It's Easter, so it is, and thus our traditional Maelstrom Games (https://www.maelstromgames.co.uk) Easter Sale starts now - but this year we're giving you a cracking 16% off UK RRP voucher to ensure you can save more money for your easter eggs and, shock, easter holiday than ever before!

YOUR HAPPY EASTER 2011 VOUCHER
----------------------------------------------------------
Your 16% off UK RRP discount voucher ends on Monday the 2nd of May 2011 at midnight (GMT) and it's a great chance to grab yourself all those cracking ranges we've brought in over the past few months as well as all those lovely BaneBeasts and BaneLords we've created over the past year. With Dark Age, Nemesis, Eden, Forged in Battle, Tale of War Miniatures, Enigma, Micro Art Studio and many others, you really do have some superb miniatures and hobby products to spend your hard-earned on!

Please note that this voucher will work on all the items within our webstore, but:

- not on any Seeds of War items
- not on any Too Fat Lardies items
- not on any Games Workshop Direct items
- not on any event tickets
- and additionally, not on anything within our eBay store.

Apart from the above, the voucher will work on pre-orders and, crucially, you'll still earn Moneyback - although tiered discounts are disabled when using a voucher of course.

Your voucher code is: EASTER-2011

To use this voucher simply register on the webstore, https://www.maelstromgames.co.uk (if you haven't already), copy and paste the code into the appropriate field in your basket when you have selected the items you want, press 'REDEEM', and the webstore will do the rest. You are not limited to one purchase and, indeed, we would ask you to recommend us to your friends with this voucher!

Remember though that this voucher is intended for the webstore only - it does not apply to any of our auctions or shop inventory items on eBay.

Happy Ordering!

After getting this I realised that the reason my brushes are horrible at holding a point is they are at least 4 years old, and probably closer to 6. Used the code to grab 6 Army Painter brushes for a hair under $25AU. I've heard them recommended for general use, hope they work out okay :ohdear:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Someone motivate me to finish these mortars :(

e: poo poo, missed the dark background

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 27, 2011

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So I had been looking for a Battlefoam 1520XL (they are out of stock until July) - and found that http://www.ccgarmory.com/ had one in stock. I ordered it. Has anyone ever heard of this place before? Are they a fairly reputable seller?

I've honestly never heard of Battlefoam before.

So, uh, it's normal to spend ages plotting out custom trays, right? :ohdear:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
It's just between one of these, a strap and some custom trays, I could build a custom set up to protect all the dudes plus vehicles in an army for a cost comparable to the generic GW cases. Actually quite a bit less, seeing as how I would have to spread them out between 2 GW cases.

Thank God I don't have that kind of money to spare right now.

e: They want $62 to ship 5 trays to Aus. Is the foam high density? How much would one regular tray weigh roughly?

ee: according to the USPS that's cheap :stare:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 29, 2011

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Bhyo posted:

Having Comissar Yarrick cost 30 quid by the end of the year would have been plain ridiculous.

We've still got 7 months to go, don't go giving them goddamned ideas :orks:

e: Yarrick down here is already 18

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ghetto wormhole posted:

Could anyone show me some pictures of Cadians with grey armor and/or give me tips on a color scheme? I want them to at least sort of match my Steel Legion vehicles which will be Adeptus Battlegrey. Adeptus Battlegrey seems a little dark on Cadians so I tried a 50/50 mix of Astronomicon Grey and Badab Black which looks pretty good, but I can't figure out what color to paint the fatigues.

My dudes have black armour and grey fatigues if that helps. Pics from when I was motivated to paint:

Armour is Chaos Black with Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey highlights. Fatigues are Adeptus Battlegrey washed with Badab Black, then highlighted with Codex and Fortress Grey and washed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Crayvex posted:

They look great but why didn't you paint the eyes? WHY? WHY?

1) My brushes were years old at the time
2) They're tabletop quality
3) I've got 101 Guardsmen to paint and if I do one, I'll do all 202 eyes.

e: should I buy googly eyes y/n

• Locked thread