Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I know this is a bit of an old post to respond to but I need this model so bad so I can paint it up for my better half, she loves her fairies and things and whatnot and I think she'd love it :3:

But godamn, 30 euros including postage? gently caress that noise :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

!amicable posted:

Guess you don't love her 30E worth.

drat right I don't! ;)

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Keep in mind those are 1/35 scale (54mm)

I know :ssh:

I'll see if I can find any UK distributors I guess, the postage from France was pretty much half of that total.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Catfishenfuego posted:

They sell them on Maelstrom Games.

You genius, thanks :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's part of my plan. I'm not sure whether it'd be best to mix ink with the effect, or just paint the a false bottom and then pour water effects over the top though.

If you do the latter, make sure the water effects is only a thin coat else you'll run into the possibility that it'll just look like vaguely clear liquid over a green base. Hope that makes sense :(

I've just had an undercoating frenzy.. 1 librarian, 1 dreadnought and 5 assault marines and I've just ordered that tinkerbell & bismarck model from the smog range :v:

woop.

Now to break out the paints :suicide:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah I think that's the route I might go,but I'll probably try one more idea and give the pig a couple wheels on the back of him, like those "wheelchairs" for dogs and stuff with paralyzed hind legs.

There was an RT era cyboar that had something like this, the back end was just armoured and it had a wheel in place of its back legs. Googling like crazy to find an image but not having much luck at the mo.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

LewdMonocle posted:

For a sub of a sub forum this thread is moving fast.

That's because all of the posters in the GBS thread who didn't come here anyway have now noticed this thread :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Also, this thread is actually useful and because we dont talk about game systems and rules and stuff, it doesnt implode into sperg

Well actually I think you'll find that that's the incorrect use of sepia wash and you've totally muffed up that undercoat :colbert:

;)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

I know PV does his gold as Mithril Sepia Sepia but I was wondering other ways. Usually I would do it burnished gold then wash it with some sepia but I think I saw a recipe that was

scorched brown-gold-mithril+gold highlights.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What other good ways are there?

I've heard of scorched brown being used as a base for gold before, I've done it once or twice myself, the only thing I could say is that it helps coverage a bit from what I remember.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

What's the general consensus on the army painter sprays? Are they up to the job or are they a pile of shite? Might make life a bit easier but I can't see myself pulling myself away from a pure black undercoat any time soon :ohdear:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I'm a big fan of overbrushing with scorched brown, then drybrushing up through 2-3 shades of grey. Does the job and never seems too overpowering.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Aetilus posted:

seriously.

Pro cement retards:
"welp I just bough this expensive model, I guess I will now risk melting off the details and eliminating the possibility of disassembling it to make changes at future date."

enlightened super glue (gel) user:
"oh no, a piece has fallen off my model without sustaining any damage." applies one drop of glue and fixes it in 10 seconds.

I'm more bothered about superglue frosting the paint on a model I've spent an age painting than I am about melting details off. If you're using a totally retarded glue dispenser then yea, I can see your point.. but if you're using one of those needle applicators then it's all good, you can just put the glue wherever you need it, no more and no less.

One other thing I've found over the years with plastic cement is to rough up the areas you're joining by marking lines in both sides of the plastic with a hobby knife, apply glue to both sides and give it 10 seconds to do its thing, then slap the bits together. Holds pretty instantly and there's not much chance of it slipping and frustrating you.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Cakefool posted:

How do you goons with kids cope by the way?

I picked up a paintbrush for the first time since the beginning of November just the other night :suicide:

All joking aside, it's just finding the time to sit down and do stuff without interuption. If you don't mind interuptions then it's all cool I guess and you can just stop and start as needed :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

CyberLord XP posted:

Just got a bunch of VGC inks. Do I need to water them down at all? They are basically extra heavy washes right? Where do you guys tend to use them?

I got them after reading the EOW washes only thread to do some plague marines.

I tend to use them 1:1 with water, replacing one drop of water for future floor polish but even then that's still a pretty strong wash. Give it a whizz and try a few testers out before you dive into painting anything worth $$$.

I used the dark green ink and then sepia ink, straight from the bottle, on a white undercoat as a base to paint deathguard and they came out fairly grungy looking.

edit: hurr, just checked the thread in question on EOW and I already posted pics of the deathguard I painted on there :downs:

enri fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 3, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

As an added bonus, you won't dip your brush in the coffee mug right beside your water jar. (Every loving time!)

I've never managed to do this, I have on occasion almost drunk from my water pot though. Although given the fact that I use a pint glass as my water pot, I guess it serves me right for being stupid enough to put another pint glass right next to it with my drink in it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Anphrax posted:

Maybe someone else might have a solution for this, but, look at the bottles before you buy them. Some (bleached bone I think) have two colors that you have to mix together real well before using. And they seperate every loving time. The metallics suck as somebody said above, and if you don't, I don't know... use medical tools to clean the inside of the nozzle, it will get clogged and crack the nozzle (this happened to my white).

One tip I saw for vallejo paints was, other than to shake the pot really vigorously, was to slam the bottom of the bottle against something hard / the palm of your hand / etc. to dislodge any gunk that had settled.

Works a treat for me, I have more trouble with foundation paints separating than I do vallejo. Speaking of which, I'm sure it's just me but every time I thin orkhide shade out it begins to separate, meaning I have to violently mix it up on the palette every time I go to load my brush, a double pain in the arse when mixed with black for my DA basecoats... and don't start me on painting vehicles with that mix either :orks:

Iron Squid posted:

Whoops.

I just primed all the bases for my Chaos Space Marines, but forgot to leave an unpainted space to glue my minis. If I put glue down on top of the paint, will the mini stick?

for plastics, just scrape a bit of the paint away and rough it up with the tip of your modelling knife, do the same on the contact area of the feet and you should be fine.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Iron Squid posted:

Also, for my Chaos Space Marines, I've assembled the torsos and the legs but everything else I feel like I want to paint separately. If I assemble it now, its going to have pieces too close to other pieces for me to paint properly.

That's how I paint marines in general, legs and torso together... then arms, shoulder pads and weapons get assembled separately... heads and backpacks stay separate as well.

I'd post a pic but I'm too lazy to re-host (it's on imagesh4ck :v:)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

jigokuman posted:

It is a mistake I commonly make. I tend to make things kind of gentle and gradual, but you really have to go overboard with highlighting and shading on minis to make them look interesting.

'sup underhighlighting buddy. I do this every drat time I start a new army off and work out a nice method of painting, but of course being a stickler for keeping everything identical, means I can't then go and change my technique without feeling obliged to re-visit a bunch of poo poo when I realise that my highlights are barely noticeable under anything but a daylight lamp :(

Iron Squid posted:

When you do that, do you put anything protective over the area of the mini that you're going to paint (ie: where the arms attach?) Or else do you just prime the whole thing and put glue on over the primer?

Edit: Also should I attach the mini to the base before or after painting?

I do my basing before priming so the base gets attached, gets a covering of sand etc. and gets undercoated with the rest.

As for masking areas off, in a nutshell... no. But with plastics, I scrape the paint away on the contact points before gluing (easily done with marines because most of the contact points are hidden away.. I wouldn't fancy doing the same with the arms on an ork for example)

In some instances, I actually glue some parts to spare pieces of sprue via those contact points (usually on those little nobbly pokey out bits that you see on sprues)

Bugger it, I'll re-host that pic, it'll make more sense if you can see it:

This is post-basecoat, you can see that I paint the bases before I do anything else to save me from drybrushing all sorts of weird and wonderful greys and browns onto the model itself.

You can see a row of helmets still glued to their sprue too. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd have fitted the jump packs to spare sprue too, just to make life easier but... I didn't... so life is hard.

Just finished giving those guys their first wash :smug:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Iron Squid posted:

I spray my primer in the basement, then crack a window.

I worry that I'm awfully near to the pilot light of the hot water heater, though.

I've been smoking whilst priming for longer than I can remember and yes, it's not a naked flame but it drat well takes one to get the drat things lit :black101:

One of these days I'll explode whilst priming then we'll see who's laughing :(

edit: it's a slow start at work for the first week post-christmas, snow isn't helping matters much and I'm itching to take full advantage of the fact that I work from home 3/5 of the week... how tempting is it to crack open a pot of khemri brown and basecoat some deathwing whilst it's quiet :3:

enri fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 7, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fix posted:

I'd like to hear what others do to break up painters' block. I haven't painted anything in nearly a month thanks to traveling, and looking at the unfinished project on my desk, I just can't bring myself to leap right back into it. It's all assembly line boring troops.

Do you tend to find it's better to muscle through and finish that goal, or do you have some way to get the juices flowing again?

I know people have already replied to this but I'm late to the party and figured I'd throw in my 2 cents anyway. Basically, the only way I can get out of painters block is to have two, three, maybe even four painting projects on the go at once. It's great when you're in the swing of things, to just chop and change around as and when you like it. It also helps keep you focused on painting when you have to wait for something to dry. Just slapped ink all over a bunch of space marines? No problem, just move them aside and get on with the dark elves :v:

Music and/or DVD commentary tracks help if you haven't got another project to work on. Just listen and paint.. the sooner it's done the sooner you don't have to worry about how to slog through painting the boots on 20 dark elves.

Anphrax posted:

Word Bearers army

'sup 'the best traitor legion ever' buddy :hfive:

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Plenty of scale modellers prime with various brands of spray paint that are intended for spraying cars, so if there's any of that around you're probably good. Just test it first to see if it comes out too thick.

Halfords car primer user checking in :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

dpack_1 posted:

Does anyone know if you can add a touch of green paint / wash / ink to GW's water effects to get a more swamp water look to the finish of will that mess up the curing process and end up with a goopy mess?

You can, but do a few experiments first. You only need the slightest hint of colour in most cases.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

dpack_1 posted:

what would be best to use to change the colour? a thin paint, inks, washes or something outside the box like food colouring? or should i just test it all in small test pots to find the results i'm looking for?

Definitely do a few sample test pots. I've only ever used inks to be honest, this is what made me try it: http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#fountain

Scroll down a short ways, replace 'envirotex lite' with 'water effects' and you'll get much the same results, there or thereabouts.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sole.Sushi posted:

The poured silicone looks like this. While the instructions didn't specify to do so, I carefully agitated the whole mold to shake out any large air bubbles. You'll want to do this, especially molds with a lot of deep negative spaces, to avoid air bubbles sticking to the masters.

An alternative to agitating is to brush some of the silicone over the models by hand before you pour

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sole.Sushi posted:

Almost forgot to mention this before, but if anyone finds this kit or the equivalent available in the UK, let me know :v:

I've done some mold making before but because I couldn't find a starter 'kit' then I only got so far as buying a bunch of silicone and making molds. Never got round to sourcing decent resin in manageable quantities to cast in. I ended up doing practice casts in plaster :3:

enri fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 15, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Enri, have a look at this, see if it has what you need? If you just want resin I'd have a look here instead.

Looks good but I see no mention of silicone :( (I see latex but ehh... all my previous experience and all the guides I've gobbled up in the past have always mentioned using silicone) I might just plump up the cash for a big old vat of silicone seeing as what I've got left is probably well out of date and then pick up some resin too. I'll just cobble together whatever else I need out of household goodies :v:

Cakefool posted:

A goon asked me to make them some bases like the ones I made for my terminators...

I need whatever crazy tool it is that you've got to cut out perfectly formed circles :orks:

enri fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 15, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Indeed, that does interest me. Very much so.

Ner ner ne ner ner.

I bought a circle cutter (like a slide/compass with blades) for like £5, but it twists & starts cutting spirals under 13mm radius. Any smaller than that a leather punch would be better.

Genius.. ordering one now :D

Completely unrelated question, what is it that people use with weathering powder to spread it around, is it white spirit? and if so, will turpentine substitute be a likely er... substitute?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Morham posted:

I just bought some paints from http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/index.php and they arrived really quickly (in fact I ordered on the 13th and it arrived on the 15th) and well packaged...I can only assume they will be just as prompted with other orders but they have a huge range of models and hobby equipment. I need to use them a few times before I recommend them, but for a first order I was definately impressed! :)

This is a heads up for UK goons!

They also sell Plasticard under the GF9 stuff I think.

I've started ordering bits from there recently, good service overall but my goodies took a little while to turn up (but I think everywhere was having the same issues with the particular range of minis)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sweet jesus, how the hell did you even begin to read that page? It's like someone, somehow, managed a create a web based migraine creator.

unghhhh... although, thanks for that, no amount of clever googling found it from this end :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The Saddest Robot posted:

Slowly working on my Trygon. This thing is a bitch to paint, so much model, so much more to paint :( Working up the 'skin' on the head to Menoth White Highlight atm.

Any chances of a tutorial on how you've done the non-carapace areas once you're finished? :shobon:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Flying Guillotine posted:

Whether you use certain paints enough you'd want to make pre-mixes in empty pots, I don't know.

I do make a note of ratios for colours that I'm mixing when painting armies or for a scheme I know I'm going to repeat. Saves mixing up an indeterminate amount but allows you to use your custom mixes as much as you like. Just means mixing the godamn thing every time you want to use it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Gotta love the sob story that goes with it

edit: missed this first time round

The Saddest Robot posted:

It's pretty simple (in theory).

Prime model.

Paint bleached bone, about a 2:3 ratio of water to paint. Make sure to get into the recesses too. Let dry.

Apply Gryphonne Sepia wash liberally. Let dry.

Mix up some watered down bleached bone, about 1:1 ratio of water to paint or higher. You'll want to cover the raised areas and some of the shallower recesses. Brush technique is important here, it takes a little bit of practice to find out how to get a nice even spread. What I do is dip my brush in the paint, unload some of the water on a napkin (just lay the tip of the brush against it and let the excess water bleed onto the napkin). Then I paint with the tip of the brush, but mentally it's more like you are just spreading the water around rather than laying paint down. The trick to this is that the water will spread the paint around a little bit and even the surface out, removing brush strokes.

You do have to watch for the paint to pool in some recesses though, I keep a dry brush nearby to scoop that up. Another thing to watch out for is for the paint in your mixing pallete to begin to dry out, you'll need to add more water when that starts to happen. In that photo I was on my 2nd and final coat of bleached bone.

Next I plan to paint with a 50:50 mix of bleached bone/menoth white highlight, thinned down just as much as before. I might stop there if I am satisfied with it, or I might add a final layer of white highlight.

Of course. I really can't stand the newer biovore models tbh. Every time I see one I think it's this big mishappen :downs: ape smiling at me. The Pyrovore looks great though. I've heard they are redoing the biovore model soon, hopefully it will look more like the pyro.

I have a bunch of old models I'm trying to find some use for. I had converted the old screamer killer fex into a dakkafex, I was pondering using the old zoanthrope for the DOOM OF MALAN'TAI but I just can't, he's simply too retarded looking. I have a squad of old warriors - I am contemplating using them as Tyranid Primes but they look kind of dorky too.

Ok, didn't need the guide on how to lay paint down, just whatever paints you'd used :v: but thanks all the same, definitely like the look and the orange really suits it.

enri fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 20, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Was the Venomthrope as much of a pain to balance as it looks?

My money's on there being a 5mm thick brass rod running right through that fucker, looks like a horrible horrible model to assemble :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I can't think of one metal multi-part model I've had a bad time assembling v:shobon:v

I must be a modelling genius :colbert:

(or extremely lucky)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You are clinically insane for painting a horde army to this standard, kudos to you because these guys look absolutely crackin'

enri
Dec 16, 2003

yea, daylight bulb is what you want.. as Aranan says, the light is much whiter than a standard bulb.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Devlan Mud posted:

Pretty sure Klear is Future Floor Wax, just the UK branding of it.

It is indeed

Furret Basket, the home cleaning aisles in Morrisons / Tesco / Sainsbury / et al should have it floating around somewhere.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PaintVagrant, what brand static grass do you use? All the static grass I've ever seen and used has been way too short whereas yours seems to be quite cool for that 'clumpy lump of dead grass' look and has a bit of body to it.. lets us in on your secrets puuuuh-leeeeeaaaaaase :3:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fix posted:

On another topic, what's the best possible bit of advice you guys can give me regarding static grass? I've never used it.

Don't inhale it, it tickles

Other than that.. I'm out v:shobon:v I want PV to tell us how he gets those perfect little clumps of static grass, my attempts always end up in a flat spot of static grass that frankly just looks a bit turd.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

You heard the man PV, spill the beans :argh:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

1 - drop of elmers glue applied directly on top of the sand that is already painted
2 - dip into static grass bag, shake off excess while still in bag
3 - remove from bag, blow the static grass so it stands up
4 - enjoy your carpet fiber lungs

I.. I don't get it.. this is what I do :psyduck:

I'll give it a go with a different brand of static grass as soon as I can (lovely GW static grass representin')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

...dont thin it...

ding ding! we have a winner! :haw:

I guess I had to pay the price for my habitual watering down of everything at some point.

:doh:

• Locked thread