Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Well lookie what was waiting on my front steps.

So much for finishing up some more terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I was on a tear yesterday getting my Malifaux stuff assembed / based. The models look much better than the studio paint jobs suggest. I only have gap filling to do on two minis, and then they're ready to prime (white this time; going for a brighter tone than usual).

The Guild. These will have a desert / scrubland base theme.

The Outcasts / Mercs. Cork basing for rocky plains.

The Arcanists. Sculpey bases with an industrial feel.

I might even be able to get the wife to play an inaugural game with me tonight.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Yep, Sculpey III. First time using it. It still retains some springiness after baking.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

GoodBee posted:

Cool. So I guess the minis don't come with the fantastic base inserts? I saw they sold them separately but I didn't know if they also came with the minis.

Only one of these guys came with a base. No idea why him in particular because he's not a master. I like the look of Wyrd's bases, but it was a lot cheaper (once I got used to the process) to make them.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Finished my first Malifaux model, Lady "backpain" Justice, pre-basing and sealing.

Thankfully the next model I'm working on, Judge, has a lot less detail.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Just a sandy / desert theme for the Guild. Simpler that what I'm going to do for the M&SU and Outcasts.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

stabbington posted:

Anyone have thoughts on these basing kits? They're obviously more expensive than going out and buying all that poo poo in bulk, but having it all around in a nice little package could be handy, and potentially more cost-effective in terms of ingredients that can potentially go bad on you. I don't think you could run through one of those big loving jars (the only size they sell) of GAC texture gel even if you were basing an entire army, for one thing.

I bought a couple earlier this year and they've worked pretty well. Mind you, my model work is terribly slow, so your mileage may vary.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Ages ago, someone posted the name of a brush cleaner that worked wonders for their W&Ns. My go-to brush has some annoying paint up in the ferrule that's causing some splitting issues and slowing me down. Can someone recall what it was?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Aranan posted:

Was it one of these?
The Masters Brush Cleaner
Pink Soap

Yep, it was The Masters. Thanks! Now my preciouses(?) will live on.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I FINALLY finished my Lady Justice Guild crew for Malifaux. I buy too much and paint too slow, but once in a while something gets completed.

Lady J

Her right-hand man, Judge

What's in the boooooox?

I fuckin' love justice!

Crouching Marshal, Hidden... I got nothin'.

The crew's all here.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Good thing these clown pants don't have a zipper.

Check out my sweet tat. I got it coz I love my job: executing "criminals" for the Guild.

Wearing a pot-bellied stove is kind of tiring, though.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Crossposting from the Warmahordes thread:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

crime fighting hog posted:

I love it all, my only complaint is that I don't like the gray for determining the front of the base. Perhaps you could do it the same blue as your armor?

It's actually a light sky blue. I agree in the pic that it appears a little on the grey side.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Arlaharen posted:

This is glorious. And so much other sweet stuff on this page from the oathing thread, great work people!

I finished the new Nemo sculpt this weekend. Here he is on the left beside my old color scheme on the old model. It was one of the first Warmachine figs I painted :unsmith:

Fantastic! I never got around to painting the original, and now that his staff's broken, I'll never have to.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I finally got my display case this weekend and loaded it up with all my painted figs. Sadly, this is the sum total of a year and a half of effort:

And so, I have decided to pledge myself to paint at least an hour a day (or 7 hours a week, whichever comes first) to cut down on my immense backlog. If I keep to this, I will allow myself to bu more models. If not, no new shiny stuff for me. Let's see how that works out.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is a pretty sweet setup, but does it only come with three shelves, or is that all you've put in?

It's the Detlof case from Ikea. $79 CDN. It only has the 3 glass shelves plus the floor. Each shelf is roughly 15" high, 15" wide and 11" tall. I'm picking up an LED stick-up light for the top to make it a little brighter.

To fill in and maximize the rest of the space, I plan to buy transparent acrylic risers. Putting some rubberized pads on the bottom would keep them from slipping around.

That what I PLAN to do, if I ever get more stuff done. :suicide:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Just gotta dry brush the bases and clean up the rims and they are done.

Very nice colour scheme.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I'm awaiting a huge order of Warmachine dwarf mercs to come in, and I'm considering using the army painter basecoat/primer spray and quickshade to get them done before the heat-death of the universe. Has anyone here used them? Good, bad, ugly?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Sloan and Brisbane's best little pal:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Aranan posted:

Awesome Reinholdt. Do you happen to remember how you did the leather?

Next time you take pictures, would you mind getting a shot of your Siege and Bokur? I'm a fan of those models and just wanted to see how you did them.

I use Delta Ceramcoat paint for everything. If you mean the leather of the coat, I think (I'll have to check when I get home) I used Maple Sugar Tan with a heavy wash of Dark Burnt Umber (my version of Devlan Mud), followed by a drybrush/highlighting of the same base colour. For his his bowler and boots, Hippo Grey, washed with black, then highlighted with Hippo Grey and then with a watery Rain Grey.

Pulled these from my old Flikr account. The Bokur shot is a little dark.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

sicarius posted:

What the hell did you use to make the individual parts of Siege's hammer stand out so well? The part on the grip in silver? That looks fantastic.

For the textured grip on a lot of Cygnar weapons (Havoc, the Lancer's spear, etc.) I use a super cheapo silver metallic paint from the dollar store. The important part is to do 2 washes of heavily watered down black and then go over the pattern lightly with a silver drybrush, using the side edge of the brush only. One or two passes should do it.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I finished Perdita Ortega this week. I'm not to happy with her, but I figured if I messed around with her anymore she'd get even worse.

Believe it or not, my painting setup is slightly better than what I had before. Too bad I can't leave stuff out and have to pack it all away everytime.

Anyone else remember Trinity: Battleground? Good, short-lived game, but terrible models. I found these and got them ready for my sub-contractors.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the Warmahordes thread:

Rarrrr! I'm an angry polar bear!

So very fun to paint.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Head's up for anybody in Ontario: Army Painter and P3 sprays are about to become very hard to get, along with the GF9 model glue. Why? Seems like the provincial government just discovered that hobby shops are carrying these lines, and the containers lack provincially approved warning labels and may not meet safety standards.

My LGS owner showed me the paperwork. He's trying to get a refund from his distributors, but until he gets an answer he's "stuck" with them. I'm so glad I got the stuff I needed in time: I just fell in love with the Army Painter stuff and mow they're taking it away. :(

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Trip report: I used the Army Painter basecoat / spray and Quickshade to finish up a Grundback Gunner as quickly as possible. In short: Army Painter products are awesome.

Gunner spraybased with Army Painter Desert Yellow:

Gunner basecoated with cheapo paints:

Gunner slathered with brushed-on Quickshade Strong Tone:

Gunner sealed with Anti-Shine Matt Varnish:

I'm very happy with the results. The Varnish dried very quickly and I was surprised that it instantaneously took away the shine. It even seemed to make the shading look more prominent. However, as seen below, when they say hold the can 10-12 inches away from the model, they're not kidding. The wrinkled effect on the left side of the 'jack is a result of holding it too close. The rest of the model didn't suffer the same problem.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Detolf has a lot of wasted vertical space, but the Bertby is less money efficient - about 3 square inches less per dollar.

This can easily be fixed by getting a few acrylic risers from retail display sellers. When mine fills up some more, I'm going to get a size that creates another "shelf" on each level, set back and a little less than halfway up each shelf. They will need some non slip strips on the bottom, as I find that opening / closing the door on the thing makes my mens jitter around like mad.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Crossposting from the Warmachine thread.

I learned a couple more things using Army painter stuff with the LLaelese themed Nomad below. First, Strong tone works best for earth tones, not for greys. Second, even if it doesn't feel that humid out, it's better to be cautious than to spray with Matt Varnish if you're not sure. Hence, he has a slight dusting of what looks like powder, but I got much of it off with a damp cloth.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Nice. The colours really pop.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the Warmahordes oath thread:

And a non-oathed finished model:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Mr Beens posted:

They are ace.

What is your recipe for the greens?

No recipe per se, just straight paint colours shaded with Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone.

Wedgewood Green (Ceramcoat)
Khaki Tan (Americana)
Rosewood (Americana)
Army Painter Desert Yellow primer/basecoat spray.
Metallics, and all other minor colours (Ceramcoat)

Yep, cheapo paints all the way.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

LintMan posted:

We my gaming group has decided to start Malifaux. I picked up the Lady Justice box and painted the Death Marshals tonight. Not sure how I want to do the eyes, either normal, red or black for that evil look.

I left them white. Gives them that "I've seen too much" kind of look. Yours look good as is.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I've been fully into this hobby for 2 years and only now have a proper place to work:

Now I can work at at my usual snail's pace, but in a more comfortable fashion!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Krion posted:

Where is this desk from? I could really use a small little workstation like that. It would be nice to have my kitchen table back.

That, my friend, is the legendary Ikea Jerker desk, sadly no longer in production. Also, it ain't small. The picture was taken at an angle so it's hard to tell that it's about 5 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep. I still have to make some room for the notebook, speakers and dremel mount.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

!amicable posted:

Canadagoons: do you guys usually order from miniwargaming.com or is there a better online store?

I ordered from them once at the beginning of 2010 due to a massive clearance sale they were having. Otherwise, you can do no better than meeplemart.com. Warmahordes suppply is getting better, but they just have so much stuff for so little. My last order only cost $10 shipping and it came in 2 days.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-postin' some Trolls.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I'll have to get a newer shot of what my workspace looks like after a re-org, but here it is just after I set it up:

Sadly, I don't actually work down here much unless I'm trying to take a break from parenting. I have a portable tray that I carry upstairs so I can work and watch TV.

I've since added a rolling drawer set underneath the desk for paint storage (since I don't need it to store the youngest's diapers anymore) and a laptop where the old paint box is. The only flaw with my Shame Shelf(tm) is that our new cat has jumped up there, scattering models in all directions. My Stormlances are in bad shape after that.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
It's been a busy month and I'm surprised I got so much done. First, some cross-posting from the Warmahordes Oath thread:

I also magnetized a Cygnar heavy kit that I've had siting around for 6 months or so. Yes, I know that I could / should have properly drilled into model, but I lacked the equipment. One minor problem that I should be able to fix with strategically placed rod, is when the 'jack has Triumph's arms on, the metal bits cause them to droop.

I put together the Ogrun Assault Corps and fielded them in a Highborn list, and boy, are they a godsend for Mercs / Cygnar. Very effective medium based, multi-wound models are exactly what we needed.

This Britannian cruiser was the test model for my fleet scheme. I think I'll stick with it.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Tuxedo Jack posted:

How did you do your maple? On my FSA fleet I used Kommando Khaki with several Gryphonne Sepia washes. Yours looks much cleaner.

I used 2 basecoats of maple Sugar Tan (Delta) and then dipped the whole thing. The grey basecoat is the Army Painter spray.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Epic Eiryss, sans chimney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Babby's first Infinity model and test scheme for my Alpha Flight themed Aleph force:

The Asura is just so drat tiny. Comments and criticisms appreciated. She hasn't been sealed yet and I can see some areas that need touching up.

• Locked thread