Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: HOORAY FOR ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aranan posted:

Well, most of those pages are just PDF-ized versions of guides already on the CMON website. Also, I don't think it's supposed to be free. :ssh:

Still, it's a nice all together collection. Also, is there a price for it anywhere? Or are you just assuming it's supposed to cost something?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

link removed from OP, Id probably edit your post invictus

done and done, and whoever linked it in the first place should probably remove it too!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

Journal log, Day 650 in The Land of Folded Lime Green Towels...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

crime fighting hog posted:

Coffeeus Stainus Black Templar Champion

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

What to you get when you replace a street fighter characters arm with a giant gun

Something awesome? How can something NOT be improved by replacing it with some sort of cyborg futuregun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found some Simple Green at BJ's, big ol bucket of the stuff. I poured some in a bowl and plunked an oldstyle plastic khorne berserker in it. It's been sitting there for a week now, I've brushed one or two layers of paint off it but that seems as far as it'll go, how long should it be sitting there for it to really loosen up tough paint?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Devlan Mud posted:

Siimple green also has a tough time taking the first coat of primer off of plastic I've noticed.

Ahhhh alright, as I said before I scrubbed some off but not all would come off. The layer that won't come off is solid black, so I think it's the prime layer, which would explain why it's so difficult to get off. I managed to get the rest off, though. Thanks! :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

This question gets asked a million times, but for all you airbrush fags:

Recommend me a decent kit that can be used not just for basecoating, but also for some detail work and stuff.

What kind of cabbage will I be laying out for this?

See if you can convince someone to buy you a good airbrush kit in exchange for painting their stuff. Go to the next level in whoring out. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

nws that poo poo, man

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aetilus posted:

crosspost of my Bret progress from the other thread. sorry for the glare

The whole set

My general up close

Errant on the left with general, KotR on the right with bsb

just finished these M@A

Archers and their lady (and her snail)

Peasant sampler, yeomen in back

one more group shot

next: peg knights

They look like they're coated in a thin layer of semen. Other than that they look fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HardCoil posted:

I also like your designs. Another disgusting real life animal is the pipa toad, which keeps its developing young in individual pockets on its back, until they emerge when big enough:

http://tinyurl.com/2rzo53

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surinam_toad

This is the worst animal, if there were a single animal I would want annihilated from the face of the earth it would be this or bedbugs

Just seeing that loving name makes my skin crawl

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tanith posted:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/images/firestorm/Directorate_Cut_Out_Fleet.jpg

This is the closest they've come so far, I think the models come out in March.

Those look so awesome

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fyrbrand posted:

Bonus nurglesque action shot:

What does this stuff do to resin and would it be safe to, say, stick Armorcast parts in it. I'm going to be coming into possession of some Titans and I'll want to strip the paint from them, but if it's not safe to do with simple green or LA's then I don't know what the gently caress

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Been busy for what used to be the GBS thread. Crossposting without remorse, since I'm pretty happy.

Dawww, this is so adorable. It's such a wonderful juxtaposition of a typical diorama. :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fyrbrand posted:

Holy poo poo saurus spears are seriously dangerous. I've already stabbed myself hard enough to bleed pretty good, and I've only assembled 5.

Chaos Warhorse horns are worse, trust me

I punctured through like 5 layers of skin with one of those fucks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A Dodge Viper is just a toy for men in a midlife crisis or who have small penises. Calling Warhams toys nothing to be ashamed of. :c00lbutt:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

My Tomb Kings:

I really want one of these guys just so I can replace his weapon with a cane, give him some scraggly old people hair, and have him as a "GET OFF MY GOD drat PYRAMID YOU loving KIDS!" tomb king.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

This is so loving gorgeous :swoon:

well, as gorgeous as a Skaven can be. The glowing mark on the rat really sells it though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sole Sushi you need Plat :argh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sole.Sushi posted:

What's that? :shobon:

Plat is the forums upgrade that allows you to do stuff like Private Message people and things. It's very handy and is :10bux:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sole.Sushi posted:

Ah, right. Just got it a bit ago. Try again with the PM.

quote:

Sole.Sushi has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
:saddowns:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Saddest Robot posted:

Slowly working on my Trygon. This thing is a bitch to paint, so much model, so much more to paint :( Working up the 'skin' on the head to Menoth White Highlight atm.

You're a much better painter than Paint Vagrant.
this is primarily to goad PV into painting a Trygon, but you are damned good as well

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it's not something to do with air leaks, it has to be something with the metal somehow. They're probably churning that poo poo out so fast for stuff like the Skaven special characters that they probably are like "alright take'em out five minutes earlier than usual from now on" so they can make more(money).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the bone is a shaved-down version of one of the old skeleton shield options, and I'm pretty sure there's an Omega Virus part on there as well

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LewdMonocle posted:

Lastly; loving around with scrap models.

Click here for the full 1000x502 image.

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HxlrXPSnjA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Drag the knife along the mold line. Except for stuff like rope or hair, it should easily, quickly shave it off. If it's on hair, you're hosed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I use the back of a knife, it's easier to keep from taking an accidental chunk out.

Er, that's what I meant by dragging. Oops.

LewdMonocle posted:

:aaa:

middle dude looks like the Odd Scout. :v:
there are two more videos equally awesome/creepy by that guy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Feeple posted:

So, one our not so local games takes second hand miniatures for store credit.

I have about $300 in credit now.

Apart from filling out some Lizardmen stuff, what should I do? I like my Necrons, but they're boring. I've been thinking of making a Tier 4 Warmachine Siege list, or maybe even starting Imp Fists (reading Sons of Dorn right now.)

What do you all think?

Where is this place, I could use some newer stuff and have tons to exchange.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Paintvagrant I think you should go through the thread and stick all the best tips and guides exclusive to this thread in the second post, and start putting awesome finished stuff in that post for completed models with no completed models in it :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

this is probably a good idea, but the thought of reading the entire thread to find all the good posts is pretty uh. Yeah. :effort:

So heres an idea:

You guys find your posts, or others, and quote them. Ill take them and put them in the OP.

I just dont have the time to dig through the whole thread myself, so lets collaborate

I would do it myself, but I'm not very knowledgeable in the ways of painting. I wouldn't know what was worth referencing or not.

Also, because of this thread and the Warhammer thread, I have begun painting again. To see if I have improved my skills at all, I tested my dessicated abilities on an old clanrat model, now to become a Skavenslave since I hate the ridiculous way they look and the proportions, but buying the newer Skaven clanrats to use as slaves is absolutely insane. It would be a dollar per point just about, which is LUDICROUS.

Anyways, I took some tips from this and the other thread, read a couple tutorials, and this is how it turned out. I think my favorite part is the rust.

The fur didn't turn out quite the way I would have liked, first I painted the whole thing foundation brown, then scorched drybrush, then badab black. I think the BB was too watery when I used it and forgot to shake it up after so long so it came out kinda weird. I did foundation flesh + gryphonne sepia and then drybrushed elf flesh on the skin which probably wasn't a good idea in hindsight, and the rust was tin bitz -> bestial brown -> blazing orange, worked fantastically. All in all, even with the fuckups, I am very, very pleased with how it turned out, infinitely better than my old Vermin Lord, one of the only still painted figures from when I first started:

And the last figure I painted, over two years ago:

So I think I've improved a lot since then. Thanks for the tips, you guys, this thread is really fantastic. :)

The only complaint is these particular skaven have MASSIVE mold lines, so huge that you cannot even remove them without damaging the model. Terrible, terrible sculpts. But they were cheap! Now, on to the rest of Lord Commissar's (former) army!.....

:suicide:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is a very simple and perfect guide to rust, it's what I used for the Skavenslave, although I changed the shades to Bestial Brown and Blazing Orange.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait. Is it using that marine for toilet paper?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Skarsnik posted:

Doomwheel Ahoy:

Click here for the full 1024x838 image.

holy poo poo this is demoralizing(amazing), makes my slave look about as tiny and pathetic as...a slave(blows lots of stuff in this thread away).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know someone in the thread posted a great guide on how to paint that oxidized copper look on things, which works perfectly for Skaven metalwork, but I don't have a link to it anymore. Does anyone have either it or another good one?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Amykinz posted:

I don't know if this is the one you're looking for, but I used this technique on my boyfriend's defiler, and it looks great.

Hmm. I'll give that a try with tin bitz(because I don't think any other metallic really works well for skaven metal) later. Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oh man, those Power Hammers look fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chenghiz posted:

I just finished painting my Rune Priest/Njal Stormcaller in powered armour! Wee!

And yeah I'm freehanding that insignia on every shoulder pad in my army :suicide:

Any advice/crits? I'm starting to regret the red in the runic weapon's haft already.

That wolf insignia, if looked at a different way, looks like a big mouth with a tongue lolling about. Maybe add a tiny, tiny black dot/slit for an eye?

edit: god drat it didn't mean to double post

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

Hot drat

Get Hot drat :rimshot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chelsea clinton posted:

Like that guy who bought the standard bearer for the metal goblin chariot, put an axe at the end of the pole, gave the little guy gargoyle wings, put it on a big honking base, painted it red and called it a bloodthirster.

Now you have to post pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

Just to make sure everyone is aware, there are a loving ton of painters better than me, Im just a local forums celebrity because I post too much

That's like saying there's a whole bunch of better drivers in Formula 1 than the guy who came in last place. Even if he came in last place, he's still a Formula 1 driver.

you really do emptyquote too much though!

• Locked thread