Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
This thread won't fill up nearly as quickly and soon enough you'll see people's army histories the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

To do that cloak I'd basecoat with the lowest red you want, and do like 5 or 6 more layers on top, each one marginally more orange and leaving the lower color on the darker parts. glaze it with thinned baal red or whatever, and maybe do a highlight again with the orange

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

AgentF posted:

This is a heavy weapons team that I completed recently. What do you think of the painting and colour scheme? All criticisms are welcome, especially if you have something to say about the basing.

Your image doesn't work.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Have you tried gloss coating the crackle after before painting the top layer?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

As someone said, fill in the cracks around the eyes and it'll look less corrupted.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

oh my god my series 7 accidentally brushed up into some superglue

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

wait you don't wash out your drybrush

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

!amicable posted:

I think you mean tempra. Unless you have been using your brushes for deep frying.

He's a goon, alright!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

photos would help

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I can't tell if the lighting is painted on or is just the natural lighting in that room.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Nurgle purity seal?!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Just fill it up with paint-water pre-game.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's not nearly deadly enough to be a Blood Bowl ball.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Is Krylon Flat White any good (or even exist); the Diplicolor I've been using is a tad too pricey for my wallet.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Magnetic paint should be strong enough to hold the models; I've heard of people using them for 40k models.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Bobx66 posted:

The magnetic paint is only going to work for the surface, there isn't actually magnetic properties in the paint itself it is just metal filings in primer. If you get very thin rare earth magnets for the minis and a surface with the paint you'll be solid.

The figured bases would get the magnetic paint, and the surface would be based on the rollable magnetic sheets.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I could literally hurl my case down a flight of stairs, and assuming the case itself doesn't break into pieces my buff dudes will be fine.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Any tips for getting snow bases to look right? I'm going for full snow coverage.

Keep in mind I've lived in Florida all my life and have never seen snow.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The WarStore's sale starts tomorrow night.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Haha never noticed the Ork sticking his head out that hole on the WIP shots. Nice to finally see it done.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You've got 6 options there, there's an obvious way to decide.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Fix posted:

Fuckin dusty-assed white primer. Armory or Krylon, I'm getting some really grainy poo poo out of these things. poo poo sucks.

White's always hard to get to cover, spraying's no different. Even if it's not solidly white you still have a good enough surface to paint on.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=magnetic primer

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Not a great sculpt, but adding on some green stuffed hair goes a loooong way towards making it a lesbian knight. And it's in full armor, though the armor lacks realism.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The person didn't even request a lesbian knight.

Aranan posted:

Is there a place where I can get some precut pieces of MDF board? Like 1' x 1' squares or circles or something.

Go to a hardware store and have them cut up a piece of 8'x10'x1/8" hardboard into 1x1 squares. It's like 10 bucks for the whole piece.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The answer is to rebottle squid pink and sell it at $6 a pot

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

While the shades I use for painting flesh are dependent upon the figure for the reasons outlined above, most commonly I use a mix of Vallejo Warlock Purple from their Game Colour range, and Charadon Granite, again from Games Workshop's foundation range, along with a little Dheneb Stone mixed in. The figure in the picture below has had the above mix applied over a Dheneb Stone base.

how the hell does that work

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Make sure you threaten his "mongrel daughter" like that other guy did.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Kestral posted:

Hell, maybe you can even get steam, though I have no idea how you'd pull that off.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/vol/vol1282.htm?source=froogle

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's Bloodbowl's "The Mighty Zug". It's fairly new.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

NecronSchmecron posted:

These dudes loving own.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I think the plastic used in Warhammer models is polystyrene.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

If you live in the US, go to a Dollar Tree and pick up a toothbrush and some "LA's Totally Awesome", it's piss yellow and in the cleaning supplies section. Let the dudes soak in the stuff for a day or two, then take them out and scrub under running water. The paint and most of the primer should come off, a little bit left behind isn't a big deal.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Iron Squid posted:

Would some of you guys (PV and Yog, I'm looking at you) post a tutorial on basic painting, say and Ork or Space Marine. My first model doesn't look very good, and I'd love to see the techniques you guys use to make models look so goddamn awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITRhnATlCw

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

How do I paint rope and gray hair

Rope: Calthan base, Snakebite 1st highlight, Snakebite/Khaki 2nd highlight

Grey Hair: Codex -> Fortress (maybe the other way around I forget which is darker) -> Fortress/White Mix

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

What does this stuff do to resin and would it be safe to, say, stick Armorcast parts in it. I'm going to be coming into possession of some Titans and I'll want to strip the paint from them, but if it's not safe to do with simple green or LA's then I don't know what the gently caress

I didn't notice anything when I threw some green stuff scraps in mine but I'm really not sure.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sole.Sushi posted:

I have never personally used milliput products for any epoxy work, so I couldn't comment on them. How does it react to water?

I have a box of Milliput yellow/grey. It's basically the same thing as green stuff, but takes a little longer to set, and is VERY crumbly the first 10 minutes or so. It's super cheap, though, so it's good for filling in spaces before putting green stuff details on top.

I've also heard good things about using milliput/green stuff in a 1:1 ratio but I haven't tried that yet.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Vaseline is pretty popular.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The lighter grey is codex gray. The armor seems to be charadon granite with dheneb stone hightlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

What country are you in?

• Locked thread