Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone have any ideas for painting albino lizards? I'm painting my Saurus Oldblood to be Gor-Rok and want him completely albino, not the "almsot-all-white-but-still-bluish" albino Saurus in the book but a completely lack of color.

I've already primed him white and gave him a light Badab Black wash to shade in the cracks of his scales. I'm thinking that Adeptus Battlegrey and white will work out to make him look albino but still give enough contrast to see detail.

Any suggestions? Especially for painting on scars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guess I should post my own poo poo.

Like Commissar Harrison Ford:

The Stealthsuits:

A favortie pasttime of my Marines - Who's Power Armor is Gayer?

"Maximum warp, Number 1! I want to hit them with my gunsword!"

Click here for the full 749x857 image.

Think Safety! Never stand in front of a cannon!

Think Safety! Keep monkeys with lit matches away from powderkegs!

And a moment of silence for my AoBR Warboss, who died not gloriously in battle but was looted like a tank in the dead of night...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Despite a massive skull-splitting headache during my prime Monday painting time, I was able to make my Stormboy Nob.

So here he is, Kaptin Gobrippah

Yes his rokkit packs are a bit anemic. Maybe he overheats his "plasmer shoota" to get a lift off boost. Or the other boyz tie lines to him and carry him.

He's a Blood Axe after all - WAAAGH! smarter, not harder.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Well, I didn't feel like priming my Orks or Mentors tonight, so instead I worked on painting my Oldblood up as Gor-rok, the White Lizard, the Scarred One.

He definitely needs a wash on his teeth, claws, and such. I think he could use a VERY light coat of Badab for some shading but I'm paranoid about making him too dark. He could probably also use a different color for his armor bindings...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Not much of an update of any kind, but I primed my Mentors command squad along with command squad for 1st Platoon, 21st Jeremiad Stalkers.

Nothing special about them, but I like two guys in particular.

The Mentors melta gunner takes his chapter's beliefs to heart and can often be seen holding impromptu tactics lessons with the more "advanced" Guardsmen:

"The hurty stuff comes out this end!" *PEW* "Th-Thank you, Private Richards for demonstrating why we shouldn't hold our guns like the wrong way... Can we get a mop here?"

And I made the sniper with the Medic head (why the gently caress is the medic wearing mask? The dude isn't even wearing gloves!) and a cape from the Empire General kit.

Best thing about taking pictures? Before I looked at this picture, I considered this guy fully primed.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Powerful Cream posted:

What rules are you using for your mentors in a guard army? Regular space marine rules? Daemonhunter auxillaries?

I honestly just wanted them in for the look, so they'd just count as a normal Company Command Squad - maybe with a special character or two.

I'm also thinking about working some scouts in for Vets or Stormtroopers.

Though I could just say gently caress it and run them all as Space Wolves :v:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

While I'm painting my Catachans and Mentors, I'm planning my next move for my Orks, specifically my Warboss and his Cyboar Warbike.

I think I have enough tubing, and gubbins for it, but I'm wondering about the propulsion for it. I don't have a bike or buggy to scrap, so here's my harebrained scheme:

Cyborg pig bike with Tau drones instead of wheels -- Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ashcans posted:

It sounds like a bad idea to me, it seems like it would end up looking like a hobby horse or something. I would try and bionic-up some legs personally, but if you're set on wheels I think you'd get a better look by building some orky wheels right out of plasticard than nailing drones to it.

Yeah, I was thinking it'd look pretty lovely (hence why I didn't put it together like that first and ask later!) Just to be clear, I had been thinking of lashing the drones to the hog and use some clear rods to make it a hover-pig-bike.

Oh well, he's still got a LOT more planning that needs done before I start slapping poo poo together. Might as well add bionic legs to that list!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Oh, that sounds considerably better - I thought you were talking about flipping the drones on their sides and using them as wheels, which sounded kind of terrifying. A hoverpig would be better, but I still think not as good. Part of the problem is that I have trouble imagining how a cyboar without legs wouldn't look ridiculous - I mean it would sort of look like a fuzzy sausage with just the head on the front, somewhere between completely surreal and just silly.

If you have a boar model that you're working with as a base, bionics can be as complicated as you want to make them. You could either snip off the legs and rebuild them completely, or basically ad struts/bolts/cables to the outside instead. I was screwing around with a similar project (only a Cybear) although it has dead-ended and I don't have pictures on hand (it is bad work).

I'm going to try and use this Orc Warboss. I was thinking of putting one dron between his tusks and replacing the back legs with the other, that way he still has the front legs.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, it's as plastic set. Honestly, I love the plastic lord kits. A little while back I turned the Elf Mage kit into some Empire Battle Wizards (the middle two, obviously):

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OK, a drone-propelled pig-bike is is probably not the best of ideas...

Good God, what hath I wrought?!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

Get some little bits of fine wire, some plastic rods and a little green stuff and just make some orky-riffic bionic legs, it's pretty hard to screw up since they're meant to look like crap.

Yeah I think that's the route I might go,but I'll probably try one more idea and give the pig a couple wheels on the back of him, like those "wheelchairs" for dogs and stuff with paralyzed hind legs.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Since my Ork Warboss idea needs work, I decided to do a quick one for my IG. And who better to make than a counts-as Marbo?

He probably kills more enemies just staring them down like this than with his weapons.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Len posted:

Is he supposed to be wearing sunglasses or is that part of his hat?

It's a flattop haircut partially covered by a headband. And, yes, those are shades.

My army is going to be Catachans for infantry, Cadians for any vehicles and Stormtroopers, and Space Marines on the Mentors chapter interspersed with different counts-as roles (Right now, I'm painting up a Co. Command of them, and will be using Scouts as Veterans, I think) - so I used a Catachan head to even slightly make things a little more cohesive.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

Like this?

That's actually the WHFB Warboss that I'm trying to convert.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Does anyone know of a way to make footprints in snow that doesn't involve lots of little feet cut out of paper or something?

Suggestions for garland or wreaths would be helpful too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Interesting discovery for today: tree armatures (like from Woodland Scenics) can make for pretty good antlers for a Grudge Pony.

Now to make little stockings to be hung with care from the Shrine of Mork, in hope that Thane Nicholas soon will be there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've finally gotten around to roughing out my X-mas project depicting a Secret Santa exchange gone awry.

[NOTE: I am not trying to make the Grudge Pony a reindeer... they're intended to be fake antlers attached to its bridle]

I got a lot of work ahead of me too:
- Paint the little fuckers
- Make a Santa hat for the troll
- Make stockings for the Shrine of Mork
- Snowman-up the tied up Slayer (I'm thinking stick "arms", frozen bluish skin,and a heathly does of snow)
- A light dusting of snow
- Put together a pile of Skaven shields and random weaponry to comprise the Goblins' gift
- Maybe try to make some bows
- Maybe put an LED Throwie in the Shrine to make it a fireplace

:sigh: I should have started sooner...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ugh, why did think cork would be a good base for my X-mas diorama. And why didn't i look at heed the directions about using the glue on a non-porous surface?!

ah well, at least I though it wise to pin the models through the grass paper and into the cork... there'll just be weird uneven terrain that I can hopefully mitigate with snow.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Aranan posted:

If it's not too late, I'd suggest pinning all the way through the cork and into whatever you're mounting it on.

If it is too late... don't bump the diorama before you show it to us! :)

The problem is the glue I used for the grass paper is starting to come up in places (here it is when it was still holding):

Click here for the full 800x463 image.

I think I'll be OK save for an odd rolling hills look. Pinning into the cork without glue holds OK (I mean, It's pretty much a nail), so a little supper glue helps even more. Also, everything that's going on there's plastic.

Actually, the most fragile part is the "antlers" on the Grudge Pony.

Here's a poorly-photographed update on it though:

The girlfriend had some paper clay left over from a project, so I hijacked it to foray into sculpting on my plastic army men. I figured a Santa hat would make the troll more festive and a ribbon-like object (which hopefully will approximate a ribbon better when painted) would make it look more like he had a gift for the dwarves as opposed to something to lob at them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Since, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to finish my diorama in time for Christmas, my mind's already wander on to other impossible tasks, this time for Lizardmen.

One thing I definitely want to make is Tetto'eko. I don't know how great he is to use in the game, but a skink on his own palanquin like a mini-slann and able to use skinks as mini Temple Guard is a combination of :3: and :black101: that's too good to pass up. This of course has led me down the path of planning an Tlaxtlan army, and I'm sorely tempted to add in some Zombie Celts as the lobotomized human slaves that are mentioned in a fluff blurb in the army book.

...gently caress, the more I look at that link the greater the urge to make them is, and I still have no idea what they'd count as!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I painted up the first batch of Qin soldiers I randomly bought:

I'm pretty happy with this first run, but there's some things I'd like to try on the other 40 or so. I was trying to go for a kind of "Possessed Terracotta Army" vibe. I'm pretty happy with the general and his jade armor, but I'd like the weapons to look more corroded and something to help the soldiers stand out from the ground. I'm thinking should look like they were highly decorated and painted thousands of years ago, but now most of it has scoured away.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

bhsman posted:

It's an ancient technique, known far and wide as "coloring outside the lines" :v:

Hey those little fuckers are tiny :(

Honestly the eyes are another area that needs work. I wanted them to look like they were glowing for the whole "possessed/enchanted" look, but those globs are too much, and I even put them on with the smallest pointy object i could find.

I still got like 40 more to do, so I got plenty to practice on before I put some of the archers in the WWII half-track I'm slowly building.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've decided to get off my rear end and start assembling some of the massive stockpile I have. So I slapped together some Scouts-Count-As-IG-Vets for my Mentors-led Guard:

The still need some cleaning up (like the Lightning Claw on the sarge), but I think they're pretty good for being cobbled together from three different boxes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

I don't know what you can do to fix the lightning claw one but it looks terrible. You'll have to file it down or something, maybe slap a shoulder pad over it if you can find one

That was actually one of the things that bugged me about him. No pics yet, but I trimmed down the shoulder on the Lightning Claw arm. Unfortunately, the SM shoulder pads I have don't fit that great. Might have to do some pinning. I suppose since the army is going to be modeled after the Armageddon Ork Hunters, I could give him an Ork shoulder pad as a trophy. I'll see about getting pics of both looks later. Failing that, it's all just super glue, so I can always start over.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Lightning claws just never seem to look good on anything not in terminator armor :smith:

This is what i'm finding... What's the best way to break apart super glue bonds again? Put it in the freezer for a bit?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OK, I think I fixed my two problem "vets".

For the Sarge, I redid the arms, so he has a power fist and bolter, both with Catachan arms to make it more balanced. I don't have a suitable right arm for the flamer , so I took the shoulder pad for the heavy bolter scout and put it on. It's still unbalanced with one Catachan arm and one scout arm, but since they'll be based like they're on a Death World jungle/swamp, I'm hoping they'll just look beat up like they've been out with no resupply for too long.

If I thought I could make a convincing bandage, I'd put it on him, just to show why one arm has no sleeve.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tonight I finished off my first four Mentor-Scouts-count-as-IG-Vets. I'd post pictures for comments, but really, my plasma gunner sums the whole thing up best:

Oh well, I'm getting burned out on Warhammer poo poo anyway... I think outside of the odd special character, I'll try my hand at painting some Warmachine poo poo for a while.

After all, due to some Warstore lolly-gagging with my order, I ended up with twin Captain MorgansBroadside Barts -- So now I don't have to consider magnetizing a hat.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

So after a couple months or so without doing a damned warham-related thing, I finally finished my Dwarf Lord:

Considering how long I've gone without really painting anything, I'm actually pretty pleased with him. Well, outside of a little more work on the base and maybe a wash on the armor for depth, and some other details, I'm proud of him.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I got funny looks when I went into Joann's and bought two boxes of wax paper on clearance. "Baking a lot of cookies, are we, son?"

I once got a one of those compartmented sorting trays for bitz from Michael's.The label was festooned with beads, and the old lady at the register couldn't resist.

"Got a lot of beads, do we?" :smug:

I responded the only way I know how... I twisted up my face into a look of belligerent dismay, and said "BEES?!!"

Honestly, one of my prouder moments with this hobby.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I might be on to something, but I need some input:

Click here for the full 779x499 image.

Click here for the full 628x450 image.

The one-armed Outrider is just for scale. I've got five more, so if it looks right the question becomes - Should I use them for Outriders/Pistoliers, knights, or Wood Elf riders?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

!amicable posted:

Holy gently caress this is the best army idea ever. Start an exodite army now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. That did not occur to me.

Now I'm gonna have to A) place a few bitz orders and B) see what other dinosaurs the hobby store has for tanks and poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Two dinosaur-riding space elves assembled, two more to go.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I think I channeled a little too much Paintball-playing Senor Chang on the "exarch" on the left, and can think of a few more tweaks, but it seems to be working out so far.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got the first of my Exodites primed, but have since had about a month of painter's block, so I need some help picking a scheme for them.

Click here for the full 798x596 image.

There's two of them, awkwardly sticky-tacked to their mounts (the one on the left I guess would be the closest thing to an "Exarch"). I want these guys to look kind of like a ceremonial guard, so I'm kind of leaning towards purple and gold. For the raptors, I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Little known historical tid bit: Socrates was apparently a Gators fan:

I really need to work on my damned Exodites, but I guess knocking out that guy is better than nothing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The other day I drew a sketch at work of an airship consisting of a sailing ship, but with the masts supporting a blimp instead of the sails. Then today I found this motherfucker for $16 bucks.

Which leads me to my question: Any ideas on how to make a blimp/balloon/dirigible so I can make some sky pirates?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fearless posted:

You mean like the airship in Teddy Ruxpin?

I quick GIS reveals that A) I remember nothing from my early childhood and B) that's pretty much exactly what my mean --

I already made the pleasant discovery that the props from a 1:144 B-25 Mitchell model I have hit excellently on either side of the rudder. I'll probably do something like the foam-cloth-and-glue idea for the blimp. After that it's just a matter of hand-waving some pre-steampunk :techno: about an early discovery of Helium (or just use hydrogen) and bullshit about clockwork machanisms to control the volume in the balloon and to spin the "screws" for propulsion.

If it works and looks good, I'll probably give other ships the "treatment". "Why yes, that is HMS Victory firing the opening shots on Bucentaure at Trafalgar -- er, i mean over Trafalgar."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm cross-posting from the Scale modelling thread, but I might as well ask here as well.

After an inordinate amount of research for my airship, I'm slightly stuck on the design. It's definitely going to be a vacuum airship with pre-steampunk technobabble involving Sir Isaac Newtown's dabblings in alchemy to hand-wave the whole "substance light enough to be <1g per liter and strong enough to not implode while holding a vacuum" technicality. Now I'm just torn between two layouts for the "balloon".

First one, four brass or copper spheres on each mast:

Alternatively, pretend the "balloons" are tucked inside a sailcloth envelope:

Right now, I'm leaning towards the first one, since it seems more aesthetically pleasing, and wouldn't subject the crew to massive orbs of metal baking in the sun all day...

I spent all day coming up with a vaguely convincing history for this thing, so yeah, I'm gonna consider the comfort of an entirely fictitious crew :colbert:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

I think you got your pictures backwards or something because I agree with you that the SECOND one would look much nicer. The first one with the separate orbs looks silly. Love fantasy airships so I can't wait to see your work.

Yeah, sorry, I did mean the second one with the sailcloth.

Now if I could get to building it and stop trying to construct an elaborate history before and after the maiden voyage of the Daedalus. The only thing I've done so far is to file off the name Jolly Roger and put on the propellers. Everything else has been "OK, when did the Stirling Engine get invented? 1816? No, that's WAY too late... Those envelopes would be mighty strong, and the prime target for ship-to-ship combat... Maybe a static charge could neutralize their properties... Wait, then was the Leyden Jar invented?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Incoming Exodite... um, I dunno, I guess he'd be like an Autarch?

• Locked thread