Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Alright so in light of the Deffrolla clarifications I absolutely MUST buy a Monster Truck kit to Orkify into a Battlewagon and call it Da Krusha. Anyone know where I can find one that is a vaguely correct scale with massive wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

So I have a bunch of plasticard in all different textures but I need to grab some girders, tubes, rods and that sort of stuff.

Im missing the modelling shop in my old town, there is nothing here outside of a basic GW. Anyone got any recommendations on internet sources?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Plastruct seems to have pretty much everything I can imagine needing. Sometimes I want to build stuff just for an excuse to order crazy construction pieces from them.

Yeah! Thats the stuff I have remnants of, that they sell in my old store. I didnt think to check for the name. :downs:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I'm piecing together a Witch Hunters army with an Arbite theme and I need something short but super oppressive to write on the dozer blade of my Repressor. You know like when you walk past a church and they have some sort of slogan implying that you are a lesser being for not believing in God? That x 1000.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Are you washing bare metal? :psyduck:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I prefer painting on white primer, but I find it much more difficult to get a consistent coat. White primer is much much temperamental and I already lost a unit of painstakingly converted skeletons to it, so I am always slightly afraid of using it. :ohdear:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I'm going to paint some cheap plaster terrain from Hirst Arts moulds and I was just wondering if I need to hit it with anything before priming. Shall I matte it first or will it be alright?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

http://www.blackcatbases.com/product.asp?P_ID=542 looks alright to me.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

KingMob posted:

I finally got my display case this weekend and loaded it up with all my painted figs. Sadly, this is the sum total of a year and a half of effort:

That's pretty sweet. Where can one acquire one/how much?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I've been painting my Tomb Kings with a white spray but that's just to make painting the bone less tedious.

I'm just starting a Bretonnian army and whilst all of my previous armies have always used conversion and modelling for personalisation and self fulfilment, this time I'm going all out. I'm going to be using mostly stock models with a few minor alterations here and there, I'm really hoping to push the boat out on improving as a painter during this project.

I think Brets are the perfect army to go with, and its going to be the first time I've actively avoided using black spray for reasons other than tedium reduction.

I'm pretty excited. :woop:

edit: Don't trust GW white primer at all, I'm going to have to find some UK alternative I'm happy with before I get underway, so this thread is helping.

edit2: someone remind me of that website some goon recommended for buying magnets in the UK. Going to line my movement trays and magnetise the bases.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 26, 2010

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

That was me, I bought 100 magnets for £10 and they arrived in 29 hours from http://e-magnetsuk.com/

Heh, there is only one size of Neodymium disc magnets out of stock, and its the pack of 100 3mm x 2mm. Ie, the one I wanted. :gonk:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

This is awesome.

EDIT: :siren:Miles O'Brian, I have the ruins you are looking for. You don't have PM-ability, so feel free to send me an e-mail at [sic] if you would like to work out a deal of some kind, preferably one that allows me to keep my hand.

Shot you an email. Every time I try to buy platinum it says 404 invalid account. :tinfoil:

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2010

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Dammit, basing is much more annoying when you use white primer. Now I have to slather the paint over the sand instead of just drybrushing the black.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Holy poo poo.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

They sit around all day waiting for something to move in front of them, then snap it up. Sometimes if it's a female pacman, they'll gently caress, if he doesn't try to eat her. That's pretty much their entire life.

The American Dream. :911:

Cakefool posted:

Does it hurt to see me butcher a perfectly good set into Alpha Legion? :frogc00l::pipe:

Consider this. All the Space Hulk Terminators you've ever seen might well be Alpha Legion. :ssh:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

drat, those Alpha Legion even went as far as blacking up to complete the costume. Dudes don't stop half way.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Boarding party frog is amazing.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Aetilus posted:

certainly not going to repeat my brets' graveyard earth rims. 2 coats for coverage is such a waste of time on a base rim and slide tray!

Khemri brown is practically the same color and covers in one, if you like the look.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Kind of at a loss as to how I am going to base my Bretonnians. Usually I will try to pick a color and scheme that will frame and complement the colours on the models. Or you know, paint tomb kings in the desert. Because thats where they come from.

When my models are every colour, what do I do? :gonk:

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 4, 2010

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Got to admire the skill on that model but I can't say I like the colours at all. I also dont really like how every single surface is NMM pretty much.

Its still 1000x better than the best I'll ever accomplish, though.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I dont think he emulated, it looks like he pretty much just made a new head and a new sword and stuck it on the previous body.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Shallow posted:

(Also lots of other piratical fantasy, non-fantasy pirates, and FAT MEXICAN)

I like this guys stuff but looking through his poses is pretty funny. Its basically guy menacing with dual cutlasses down by his sides, guy randomly waving his weapons around or guy looking through an eyeglass.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

!amicable posted:

:drat:

I would do Imperial Fists in a heartbeat if I could paint that.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Holy gently caress. I need stilt walking mask flamer in my life right now.

edit: all of them own.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Aranan posted:

Am I doing this right?

i see pencil lines

thin your mspaint

dont worry everyone starts out bad, you just gotta practice

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

bhsman posted:

Thoughts?

Looks pretty badass.

Check out my awesome bright lance/missile launcher combi rifle. *shoots you with shuriken*

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Where can I get some heads from for my Errant Knights? I want all my Errants to have bare heads, meaning I'm looking for some place to get younger-looking, clean shaven heads. Ive got 3 from random kits I can use, meaning I need another 5.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

Ffffff this was going to be my next great idea. Thanks, Warhammer Online Orc starter zone.

At least you've shown me that it can indeed look awesome. Paintroller grot owns.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Fuuuuck boar boys own.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

APJ is really cool and all but I wish he would branch out away from Space Marines. I mean, once you have 10 chapters up covering the rainbow, its not much of a stretch to imagine that someone could work out a Flesh Tearer by checking out the Blood Angels one.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

IonClash posted:

Has anyone had any experience with pouring their own molds for terrain from https://www.hirstarts.com ?

Their stuff is awesome, I bought a bunch of their egyptian stuff for my Tomb Kings. The terrain ends up being vaguely brittle as its made of plaster, but it'll withstand play just fine. Its useful for basing too, with sarcophagi and pillars and stuff. Just make sure you pin any models to the base through whatever you mount them on.

Just don't go dropping it on the floor!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Iyanden Darksun is the better of the yellows, dont go near Tausept Ochre at all.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Maybe I got a bad pot or something - I bought Tausept for use on my Bad Moons and it didn't cover any better than you would expect of a yellow paint. This is over black primer though.

I'd pretty much given up on painting my Orks yellow, but gave Iyanden a whirl before throwing in the towel. Its amazing. :swoon:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I share my paint set with a buddy who I dragged into the hobby kicking and screaming. Now I'm moving house so its not really going to be viable to do so anymore. I am going to be nice and leave the entire collection with him as an excuse to build myself a new set, this time branching out and integrating paints from Vallejo and P3.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the better colours from each selection? As in, which paints best fill a gap in GWs range? Which do you swear by? Which would you never again paint without?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Awesome, thanks dudes.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

pw pw pw posted:

Here's a few of my first orks.

note: I have since moved from glossy sealant to satin, you don't need to hound me on it ;)

gently caress dude, you're supposed to post lovely ones so that he can feel better about his (whatever their condition), those are actually pretty drat good for first minis.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Well, tits on a snake isn't as overtly sexual as tits on a woman, and young kids likely aren't going to understand the reasons why the snake has tits to start with: they are just going to giggle and say "hehe, snaketits."

Fake Edit: To elaborate--the "reasons" the snake has tits is because Slaanesh is all about sensation, and really, it would certainly be a, "different" sensation to be raped by a snake with tits, a horse-sized face and a tongue so big that could feltch you while it gives you a blowjob, while it simultaneously crushes you to death with snake coils/tits.

Sigh. Why do I know this poo poo? :suicide:

Oh baby. Keep talking.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Makin' me nervous about building my Trebs. I still get nightmares from my SSCs.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

How do you protect metal models from oxidisation? Is it just priming? Ive had some Squigs for about 2 years in the same box as a Skarsnik I bought a few weeks ago and the Skarsnik is already decaying but the Squigs look brand new.

My Casket of Souls really took a rapid nosedive before I whacked some paint on it aswell, but my Ushabti were fine.

Is it just the specific composition in that particular metal that defines how fast it will decay, or is it something else? I like to have my minis unprimed until I am ready to paint them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

God dammit I finally found the perfect miniature to base my Minotaur Warden conversion off but its by Ilyad Games and they've been out of business for like 3 years. :negative:

• Locked thread