Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
God drat I remember I made this thread 2 years ago back when TG was just a shitfest of Play by Posts. Never made it to page 2. I'll be posting my stuff as I get my camera going again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PV you gonna tell me how you did the grey for those plague marines/death guard?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

nope :d:

pv you a dick

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

bhsman posted:

Getting the rest of the bits from a Goon; I'll post the whole thing here when it's ready. :)

Kinda unrelated but I started working on the elves I got from you way back when. Most of them stripped pretty well and I'll be priming/painting hopefully in the next few weeks at this rate.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

bhsman posted:

Awesome! Though I suppose it's too late for you to post pictures so I can compare the horrible-ness of my painting a year ago to how bad I am now? :ohdear:

Definitely, that poo poo went into simple green the day I got it. But it wasn't THAT bad.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Jesus that works amazingly well and makes them look a foot bigger.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PV how'd you do the red skin on the oblits

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

GOD drat stuff like this is why I like this hobby so much

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

last night I was at my game store and this complete jobber was bragging about how he paints his daemons and how he's gonna stomp the competition once their all assembled. I asked him how he paints them and he said "It's a secret that I figured out, I'm not sure I want to tell"

I thought he was loving with me so I pressed him and he told me his big secret was he waters down paint a poo poo load and spreads it over the model for a slow change of color.

"You mean glazes?"

"NO! It's different!"

"You mean washes?"

"NO! It's better!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

He might just be talking about using a lot of thin layers of paint to build up a gradient. But given the way you describe him, he is probably just stupid.

He is. Got fired from that gaming store for being a fat lazy sack of poo poo. How do you gently caress up a job where you talk about Warhams and MTG all day? And his stuff looks like rear end.

Man I gotta start painting again. I need to finish my friend's tau by christmas so I can work on my stuff again.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Angryboot posted:

Having never painted minis before I think I'm finally beginning to figure out this shading/highlighting/blending business:

Now I get to do that 14 times and make sure I pay some attention to the rest of the dude too and not just the head. One of these days I'll grow some will power and stop buying poo poo because you nerds keep posting them >:(

Jesus christ your templars look a lot better than mine. I still can't paint the crosses on right and I've done over 40 of them now.

I still can't highlight black worth poo poo. I need to actually sit down and practice it rather than just sploshing it on and wondering why my army looks like rear end.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Guess I'll just leave this here

http://forums.eternityofwar.com/showpost.php?p=134783&postcount=46

Newer stuff coming soonish maybe

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You could get a proper spray booth, they're awesome for containing and removing the spray, but they're also expensive.

Isn't there a guide somewhere on how to make an okay one for 15 bucks?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Bookmarked. Thanks duder

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

http://forums.eternityofwar.com/showpost.php?p=134808&postcount=53

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Scurvy posted:

Ok here we go with my first finished guy in a bit,

Librarian

If you dullcote him he'll look so much better

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

Any reason I shouldn't be painting straight from the pot? I tend to do this a lot, and want to work on my painting habits.

Without adding a little bit of water, the paint is very thick. It will show brush strokes or get clumping or you'll gently caress up and get poo poo tons of paint into a crack or face and completely fill it in.

But thinning your paint too much makes it runny and sag. So have fun practicing (it's not hard to learn though)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Angryboot posted:

Still need to finish doing the seal on that melta, after that I need to do another 11 marines in the same shading scheme.

Jesus. Which gray do you use to highlight?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Okay, so you can use Future Floor to make your own washes, but what can I make for my own gloss and dullcote through an airbush? Anyone know?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Kestral posted:

Does Simple Green remove products like DullCote, glosses, varnishes, MinWax and the like? If not, can anyone recommend something to safely strip those coverings from minis?

Yeah it works on that stuff too.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Who's got a good guide to water effects?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

moths posted:

Did you use a salt mask for the chipping on the ramp? It looks super good.

Looks like he just stippled.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

E; nevermind I'm too retarded to read. They look great though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Drop Pod primed and the insides of the doors I just primed white. Gonna caution strip em and hope that the yellow air brush paint I got doesn't suck because it says 'transparent' and they don't carry opaque. What the hell? I'll give it a shot and pray it works.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

well they look like complete rear end

Click here for the full 1024x422 image.

I hosed up with the tape I guess, that or I sprayed too close or too far away, I dunno. Should I start over, fix it by hand or tape off again and try it again?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

When you were talking about the caution stripes, I thought you meant something like this, which is how I've always seen it done in the past:

Honestly the stripes on the ramp itself look kind of wonky to me, even though that's where they would make the most sense.

The area on here that is caution striped I plan on doing boltgun/wash black for simplicity. I'll try to touch it up by hand and then ding the poo poo outta it with chainmail and hope that helps.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

I dont think they look bad at all, I think some weathering could sort of mask the soft spray edges

you've uncovered my plan pv

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

Have fun gluing the fins to the center turbine thing when they have just one tiny rear end contact point, while getting it lined up just right so that the doors close properly, oops it just came unglued at the bottom ughhhh gently caress drop pods

I hear if you do it one at a time it's not so bad. I'm a patient warham

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Angryboot posted:

This bastard took me entirely way too long:

First terminator as well as the first red-based mini done; I need to figure out a faster way to do my basecoats; think I did something like 4 coats of mechrite red and then 3 or 4 coats of blood red.

11 more to go :(

Looks amazing. The first one is the hardest but after you've figured it out the others take less time

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Just double checking, I'm about to airbrush on some boltgun, does thinning it 1:1 ratio enough or should I use more water?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Probably too late now, but I'd start a bit thick and spray onto some paper or something to test it, then add water as needed. But yeah, 1:1 seems like a good starting ratio for GW.

It worked perfectly. Pics incoming.

Now to wash it black then pick out the details.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 24, 2009

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Angryboot posted:

Stop making me want to buy more poo poo, drat it!

Looks great; I can't even begin to think how long it'd take to base coat all that by hand.

A looooooooong time. I was able to do all that in about 5 minutes. GW paint takes seconds to dry when airbrushed

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

Son of a bitch that came out well! I had always hear that it is difficult to airbrush metalics, was it constantly clogging up on you? Did you just use water to thin it? 1:1 ratio?

1:1 ratio, worked perfectly, no clogs or anything! I just use water right now.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Vindicator posted:

It's probably been mentioned previously, dude, but I'm lazy. Can you fill me in on what airbrushing equipment you use? Brand names and stuff? That looks like really good work.

No Problem, I'll post it later when I get back from stuff

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Compressor: Paasche D 500: cost about 120 I think

Airbrush: Badger model 150 double action internal mix: Cost 150 but came with a bunch of bottles, needles and different tip sizes. Plus I got 10% it all so saved even more money that way. I was worried that I'd have to get the same brand of compressor and brush but the guy at the store said Badger works with pretty much everything and he said spend more money on your airbrush than your compressor.

It's helped me out so much so far. The drop pod I just sprayed looks pretty decent but I'm gonna start doing some details by hand before I take more pictures. If you have the cash and the amount of models to justify doing it (poo poo tons of vehicles) then I say go for it

I just wish I did Blood Angels or something because I could basecoat my entire army in an hour!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Aranan posted:

gold: mithril, sepia, sepia?

Sepia really is the best wash for metal qtiyd

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

http://forums.eternityofwar.com/showpost.php?p=136576&postcount=68

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

The equipment I posted wasn't too pricey and could be used for detail but I lack the talent. I sprung about 250 on it all

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

Try this dude. He primes grey, while most people around here use black, but he does a good job showing every single step. He even does decals in this one, which owns.

The one I linked is Ultramarines but he has a few other tutorials in there as well.

This guy is really good, I copied my wash recipe from him. He rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Gonna start coating my stuff. Future works through an airbrush straight from the bottle right? Or I could thin it with some iso alcohol to matte it right?

• Locked thread