Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Looks like you guys had fun at Thunderhill. Wish I could have gone, life got in the way this year. :)

Yeah we did have fun ya friggin' idiot!

(turn the volume down I'm really sorry it's really loud)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivde6tus058

GriszledMelkaba fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahahaha, loving z3n.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha, loving z3n.

Missed you out there but that flyby was for xXx~u~xXx

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
crosspostin because I'm a piece of poo poo. Buy my bike so I don't get hoovered back up into trackdays again pls

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=75#post475170850

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just do trackdays you knob

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yesterday was loving insane at pittrace. Over a dozen crashes, I think only one or two sessions were clean. The marshal called a rider's meeting at lunch, something he's never done before. Conditions were beautiful... must have been something in the air, I guess.

e: final count was 15 red flags.

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 21, 2017

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Signed up for Blackhawk Farms near Chicago in September. Hopefully the weather is good and we don't get 15 people crashing.

Fingers crossed me and the FZ-09 will have a good time on track.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I finished my mini supermoto season 2nd Overall because I missed a double header race weekend held in upstate ny and I couldn't make up the points gap, though I finished first overall in the final race yesterday. Out of the 8 races of the season I finished in front of the 1st OA champion 5/6 races we competed but inshallah

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hello dead thread; so I finally did My Fiяst Track Day and it was hard and fun and I've already started thinking about the next one.

I only went off track once, and I only used my turn signals like 2 or 3 times. Since I rode to the track, I had nothing with me but some snacks and water and some very basic tools and masking tape. A bunch of people offered me their shelters, and practically threw bottles of water and gatorade at me, and a couple of the dudes with whom I was hanging out walked over trackside during the novice sessions to watch and give me advice.

Lots and lots of poo poo to remember. I got passed by everyone in Novice, obvs, even the dude on his F700, but I was trying to stay smooth and pick good lines. A couple of corners gave me fits, and at some point I decided that I would just ride around in 3rd for the whole lap just to remove that distraction. It was cool and I can't wait until the spring. Also, I need to buy and install a trailer hitch for my car now.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
why'd you go off track? went in too fast? or just thought you did

i'm thinking about getting an el cheapo sedici suit for a couple hundred and trying out a track day

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I wasn't even close to going too fast. I think I just focused on the curbs on the way out of a slowish corner, and bumped over them. Luckily they told us like a hundred times DON'T TOUCH YOUR FRONT BRAKE if you go onto the grass, so I was able to slow down using the rear brake and rejoin. The instructors were great and had some good advice too.

What I did for this one was rent a suit from the Michelin tire dude. It was $60 and fit me really well.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What track? Glad you didn't crash!

Razzled posted:

i'm thinking about getting an el cheapo sedici suit for a couple hundred and trying out a track day

Ye bruh do it. If it's not too far I'll come

e: shame you didn't mention it earlier, I got a free astars suit that needs some repairs but is otherwise fine, but it's already spoken for. I'll hit you up if it falls through

M42 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 21, 2017

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The track is Blackhawk Farms International Raceway.

I may have added a word into the name of the track. I entered turn 4 badly and was pointed right at the curbing toward the exit of it and went off, but was able to rejoin where that little concrete patch is. I had a hard time especially with 3 and 5, and ESPECIALLY 5, because it just keeps opening up and you can give as much throttle as you can stand as you go around it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

captainOrbital posted:

I wasn't even close to going too fast. I think I just focused on the curbs on the way out of a slowish corner, and bumped over them. Luckily they told us like a hundred times DON'T TOUCH YOUR FRONT BRAKE if you go onto the grass, so I was able to slow down using the rear brake and rejoin. The instructors were great and had some good advice too.

What I did for this one was rent a suit from the Michelin tire dude. It was $60 and fit me really well.

How big are you?

Razzled posted:

why'd you go off track? went in too fast? or just thought you did

Same question

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

BlackMK4 posted:

How big are you?

Smaller than mailbox. Around the waist, I mean.

I probably would be a size 39, which I know is not an actual size, but I slot in between a 38 and a 40. So a 40.
5'10 and 150lb.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i aint no manlet

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

captainOrbital posted:

Smaller than mailbox. Around the waist, I mean.

I probably would be a size 39, which I know is not an actual size, but I slot in between a 38 and a 40. So a 40.
5'10 and 150lb.

You're going to hate how a normal 40 fits, I'm 5'8" 170-180 and wear a 40 / 42. Prepare to have your nuts smashed.

Anyway, I have a Spidi 42 that I've worn for like 5 trackdays and crashed in once. If it actually fit someone I could probably get rid of it for very cheap. I also have a 40 Alpinestars that I've put a ton of time in and crashed three times, so I doubt anyone wants that. IMO the Spidi fits as tight as the Alpinestars, if not tighter.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 21, 2017

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm potentially interested. Just leave it on my mom's porch in Oro Valley.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I recently did my first track day at NJMP thunderbolt. I trailered my bike there and it worked out well. It was for the Yamaha champions riding school and only 10 people showed up, it was 85 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Basically an ideal and private track day. I learned more that day than 6+ years of street riding. The biggest takeaway was how much harder I could push the bike, especially braking than I thought possible. Just absolutely insane! I've never had that much fun in my entire life, and I can see myself getting hooked.

I had basically 1 on 1 private instructions all day for 1/4 the price of what it normally goes for due to me just happening to be on the right mailing list and getting an invite.

The nuttiest part was riding on the back of an FZ-10 with 2 up handlebars on the tank and one of the pro's going balls out and laying down huge black strips on corners at over 100+. The adrenaline rush was unparalleled with anything I've ever done, and really showed me just how hard you can push a bike. I actually got a flat tire at the end of one of the sessions so I'm lucky I didn't dump it.

Only one dude crashed, on the the instructors on an R6, and it wasn't bad at all -otherwise no issues. Lots of other cool bikes there, '17 Tuono Factory, a fully prepped Graves R1, and even a Husky 701 SM. I wish I had taken more pics but I was so focused on riding!

Did about 115 miles total and the Tuono performed flawlessly. I have a few gopro vids from my helmet and from an instructor following me that I will post later.

The FZ-10 I rode on the back of:

Chicken Strips fully eliminated! I feel pretty smug about this one.

Bonus Lexus LC500 someone had:

Voltage fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 22, 2017

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Voltage posted:

The nuttiest part was riding on the back of an FZ-10 with 2 up handlebars on the tank and one of the pro's going balls out and laying down huge black strips on corners at over 100+.

The sounds both awesome and terrifying

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Supernakeds are the best trackbikes, don't be fooled into trying to get a supersport.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I mean, I'm sure for racing you would want a fully faired clipon supersport, but I just could see no advantage to having one over my tuono, just super comfortable and still as fast as I would ever need on a track - I was hitting ~130-135 on the main straight.

The other Tuono (which was brand spankin' new, under 500 miles on it) was probably the fastest bike on track next ton the Graves R1 which was a race bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Voltage posted:

I mean, I'm sure for racing you would want a fully faired clipon supersport, but I just could see no advantage to having one over my tuono, just super comfortable and still as fast as I would ever need on a track - I was hitting ~130-135 on the main straight.

The other Tuono (which was brand spankin' new, under 500 miles on it) was probably the fastest bike on track next ton the Graves R1 which was a race bike.

So you liked the Tuono on the track? I'd like to try one of those V-twin guys; that would be fun.

That looks like a great track. Did you have any of the chicanes at turns 2 or 3?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The Tuono (mine is the 07 v-twin) is definitely the best bike I've had - super comfortable and very quick, makes a great sound, and so far extremely reliable. It was just so drat good on the track, really no issues and was super stable and predictable. It's really a great all around bike. I've even taken it camping and done a bunch of dirt/gravel roads on it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stuff an RSVR ohlins rear shock on it and do the Ohlins $300 valve kit in the forks.
Run the rear shock at 317mm eye-to-eye and the forks at 2 lines showing above the triples. Proceed to poop yourself at how great the chassis is.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

BlackMK4 posted:

Stuff an RSVR ohlins rear shock on it and do the Ohlins $300 valve kit in the forks.
Run the rear shock at 317mm eye-to-eye and the forks at 2 lines showing above the triples. Proceed to poop yourself at how great the chassis is.

Sounds like an excellent winter project in my new garage!

This: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=930

and

This? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aprilia-RSV1000-RSV1000R-2003-Ohlins-Rear-Shock-AP8230-/272845480080?hash=item3f86dba090:g:y48AAOSw74VZkFdc&vxp=mtr

or would I need a newer one?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll check for you, I remember needing a certain year range due to clearance to the rear cylinder exhaust.
You can probably find the FPK105 cheaper somewhere else, but yeah, that's it. I don't know why AF1 shows it as bags of shims, the shim stacks/valves come pre-assembled on a stick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

nakeds are the best bikes

T-Square
May 14, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

The track is Blackhawk Farms International Raceway.

I may have added a word into the name of the track. I entered turn 4 badly and was pointed right at the curbing toward the exit of it and went off, but was able to rejoin where that little concrete patch is. I had a hard time especially with 3 and 5, and ESPECIALLY 5, because it just keeps opening up and you can give as much throttle as you can stand as you go around it.

3a sucks because it's always chewed up and constantly getting patched. The way I approach turn 5 is accelerating through and out of 3b and lifting a little just before 4, lean in, and power on at the apex and take it to the outside of the track between 4 and 5. Continue to accelerate and up-shift about halfway between the two corners, about where the outer curbing gets kind of lovely. I take the entry to 5 kind-of wide and try to keep it tight to the inside of the turn on exit while continuing to accelerate through until the braking zone for 6. That way you're set up to take a good line through 6, instead of having to sweep from track-right to track-left. Treat it as one big sweeping left with a wonky radii, and you can really rail it through there. The scary part is staying on the throttle until after the kink before turn 7 :q:

Disclaimer: I may or may not know what I'm talking about, so grain of salt and all.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was debating with myself about shifting halfway through 5. And yeah, I was totally "apexing" it at the inside curbing, which meant that I was way over track-right by the time I hit the braking zone for 6.

My debate for the spring is going to be about checking out a new track like RA or Grattan or learning this one a little bit better.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

It wouldn't be unreasonable to grab another gear coming through 5 depending on your gearing, but yeah I try to stay as leaned over as possible and hug the inside while still winding out the throttle. We're super lucky to have a place like RA, it's such a fun track. Grattan is the one place I've always wanted to get back to, I've only been there once years ago and that was like the second or third time I've ever been on a track. It's very roller-coaster-y and really neat. I definitely want to run it now that I have a lot more experience. Also, fast bikes can catch air on the back-straight when they run the course backwards.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, I remember my 4-wheel friends always talked about Grattan and how the brave could get air there. It sounds terrifying to me.

I'd also like to check out Gingerman and the exhausting-sounding twentysomething-turn full Autobahn track. Sessions must be like 2 laps long.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I'll try to post my lovely GoPro footage from last Saturday at Blackhawk tonight, but apparently I'm not exiting 5 as tight as I think I am :v:

Also, Gingerman has pretty good flow to it. It used to have two seams in the pavement running the length of the track, splitting it into 3rds and it hosed with the way your bike tracked if you went over them. Now it's re-paved all the way around and it's pretty ace. I also want to get to the full Autobahn layout, I've only done the other short track. It sucks.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Double post:

Year or so ago, we got a hold of a friend's Honda RS125 for cheap with a ton of spares. Ran 3 laps at Putnam Park and it melted the piston. Said friend threw a top end at it, and we made it all pretty after sitting in a basement for years. I took some liberties (stole) from Brawn GP and here's how it sits now:

https://imgur.com/a/3pcql

And then we went to Blackhawk, wherein I finished my first race without retiring due to some stupid mechanical bullshit in over a year. Ended up with a 3rd place in Combined Moto 3. Pretty drat happy with that as a maiden voyage, was expecting to either blow up again, or get smoked due to having never raced a 2-stroke GP bike before. Have a vidjeo, make fun of my riding or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPmOroda5c

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah just pass everybody on the outside like they're standing still. That's a great video; it's interesting to see the lines you take, esp through 3, 4, and 5.

I am now interested in Putnam Park, too. From the overhead view it looks complicated: lots of turns close together, and feeding into each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I missed a race weekend (round 5) and it happened to be a super bonus point race apparently so I took 3rd overall for the season for the XR class

However, today was the season awards / fun race and I took 1st overall in mini dirt which was pretty great. The course was run backwards and they built a triple but then removed the middle so it was just an insane double. The downside is the season is over and doesn't start until April.

• Locked thread