Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
(I've never ridden barber, but I'll give it a shot)

lokigoesrawr posted:

T1-T2, around 0:12-
Why did the bike shake?
So you're rolling on after T1, and then you flip it over for T2-3, but I can't figure out where he's braking. I'll probably straighten up for that, but is he braking while still leaned left?

Probably just a bit of headshake before he rolls off, maybe setting down a wheelie, maybe an awkward transition from gas to brakes. It looks like he trailbrakes pretty deep into the corner.

quote:

T13-T14-T14a, starting 1:24-
You're leaned over the whole time and T14 is decreasing radius. Should there be any braking in T14, prepping for T14a entry, or is it purely roll-off?

It looks like he brakes for 13, sweeps in to the apex, and then stands the bike up, brakes into 14, drifts wide, and then once he's slowed enough, he's at the proper entry speed for 14a, and dips back in for the second apex. Split 13 and 14/14a into 2 corners, 13 is a traditional corner, except that on exit you'll be rolling out, leaned over slightly to the right, while braking for 14a.

quote:

All this downshifting while leaned over business is slightly unnerving. Also, the 'once the throttle is cracked open, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn' rule is confusing when you start connecting some of these chicanes.

Any advice for the newbie?

Honestly, you're not going to gain too much from watching videos of fast riders at the track. You're going to be 20-30 seconds off this pace, so if you try and match their lines exactly, you're going to end up turning in way too early and drifting way too wide.

I'd instead play videogames that let you have some idea of where the track goes, and spend a few sessions going slow, trying to figure out your reference points for the track. The track looks very different in person than it does on video.

There isn't an exception to the keith code throttle rule on this track, you just need to break up the corners a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

lokigoesrawr posted:

Sorry I don't have any tips, but the layout reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn32IgQGrOQ

I can't believe I played that with a keyboard in EGA graphics without vomiting profusely.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

lokigoesrawr posted:

Why does the California Superbike school at Barber have to be the same weekend as the Chump Car challenge at BIR...:argh:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Z3n posted:

It looks like he brakes for 13, sweeps in to the apex, and then stands the bike up, brakes into 14, drifts wide, and then once he's slowed enough, he's at the proper entry speed for 14a, and dips back in for the second apex. Split 13 and 14/14a into 2 corners, 13 is a traditional corner, except that on exit you'll be rolling out, leaned over slightly to the right, while braking for 14a.

Honestly, you're not going to gain too much from watching videos of fast riders at the track. You're going to be 20-30 seconds off this pace, so if you try and match their lines exactly, you're going to end up turning in way too early and drifting way too wide.

I'd instead play videogames that let you have some idea of where the track goes, and spend a few sessions going slow, trying to figure out your reference points for the track. The track looks very different in person than it does on video.

There isn't an exception to the keith code throttle rule on this track, you just need to break up the corners a little more.

Cool, that helps a lot, thanks.

I think lazy steering was one of the things that contributed to my Jennings crash. At Atlanta, I think I compensated for my very slow lean rate by pulling back turn-in points as the sessions progressed (back from the points I saw CRs initially turn-in on sighting laps).

I really want to be able to flick the bike faster--should I gradually try to turn-in later from what seems early and comfortable?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lokigoesrawr posted:

Cool, that helps a lot, thanks.

I think lazy steering was one of the things that contributed to my Jennings crash. At Atlanta, I think I compensated for my very slow lean rate by pulling back turn-in points as the sessions progressed (back from the points I saw CRs initially turn-in on sighting laps).

I really want to be able to flick the bike faster--should I gradually try to turn-in later from what seems early and comfortable?

Take the pace down about 10-15%, and practice setting your body position securely before you turn in. Once you're locked into place before you give steering input, relax your outside arm and aggressively push the inside bar to get the bike to flip on it's side. From there, you can adjust your turn in point later to compensate for the more aggressive turn in and ramp up the pace, or just up the pace to carry more speed and compensate for the more aggressive turn in.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Z3n posted:

Take the pace down about 10-15%, and practice setting your body position securely before you turn in. Once you're locked into place before you give steering input, relax your outside arm and aggressively push the inside bar to get the bike to flip on it's side. From there, you can adjust your turn in point later to compensate for the more aggressive turn in and ramp up the pace, or just up the pace to carry more speed and compensate for the more aggressive turn in.

I'll try that and report back sometime next week with video. Borrowing a friend's GoProHD so hopefully I'll get some more diagnostic angles on the side. :)

So as I understand it, if your tires are warm and you're not on the brakes, it's incredibly unlikely that you can overspend the front traction just from fast steering, right? Short of scraping and over-riding the tires, or falling off the bike or something stupid, that is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lokigoesrawr posted:

So as I understand it, if your tires are warm and you're not on the brakes, it's incredibly unlikely that you can overspend the front traction just from fast steering, right? Short of scraping and over-riding the tires, or falling off the bike or something stupid, that is.

It is physically impossible to do unless there is some extenuating circumstance. Something on the track, braking, wheelies, etc. You could theoretically lean it off the edge of the tires, but you'd have to turn it until you were scraping pegs and then keep turning it past that. You should try and work up to the point where you can flick it to your knee...that is, apply a steering input that takes the bike to enough lean angle that you get your knee down. Once you get comfortable with flicking it to your knee, you can start working on flicking it to your toe. With a good line, and good body position plus a fast turn in, and rearsets + flicking it to your toe you can carry absolutely monster corner speed. But that's the sort of control that takes a lot of track time to achieve.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 25, 2010

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Anyone planning a Socal track day in the near future? I want to get out on the track again

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Not me. Need to get this endurance race at miller out of the way before I can consider a trackday too seriously, plus I don't have a bike that's track worthy at the moment.

Unless I want to take dimple butt out and add some scrapes to the saddlebags.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I did my first trackdays this weekend and it was way cooler than I thought it was going to be, and I can't wait to do another! It was at Thunder Hill through Zoom Zoom Trackdays. There was also a ton of photography which I purchased, but this one is my favorite, even though I'm not going through the turn as fast as others, cause of the color vibrancy:

Also, there was a guy on another forum who was able to bring me up after my original ride couldn't come, and he had an interesting trackday photo taken of himself. Slightly :nws::http://4theriders.com/viewpics.php?loc=/pics/trackdays/2010/02.27.10-thill/SATURDAY/NOT_8/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well I've signed up for two track days in April...nothing like jumping in.

Cornerspin (http://www.cornerspeed.net/spin.html) on the 17th and 18th.

Talladega Gran Prix private track day on the 26th. Most likely on the DRZ but may consider the SV.

Good news is I already have all the gear, bad news is waiting until April.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Oh, dear.

I just realized that the local track (HPR) has 3 open lapping days/month, all summer long. $150 for a full day.

That could be bad.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Speaking of photography, what is the deal with most tracks? I'm going to the STT even in Joliet, IL on Apr 24-25, and they say they'll have photographers there. Do you have to pay for the prints/images of you?

What's to stop my girlfriend from borrowing my some of my long glass and shooting photos of me and any other goons that show up?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Tsaven Nava posted:

Speaking of photography, what is the deal with most tracks? I'm going to the STT even in Joliet, IL on Apr 24-25, and they say they'll have photographers there. Do you have to pay for the prints/images of you?

What's to stop my girlfriend from borrowing my some of my long glass and shooting photos of me and any other goons that show up?

The photographers on the track are allowed to go all over the track and take photos. Your girl is most likely limited to the pit area and now allowed on the track itself. It cost me $40 for the entire days worth of photos, however they usually put online free photos that are much smaller with tons of watermarks.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Thought I'd finally stop being lazy and post up some pictures of me from the CCS Race of Champions at Daytona last October. I think most, if not all, are from the Hammerhead Trackday the Thursday before the weekend. Pretty sure most of the photographers left before my practice/races late Sunday afternoon.

This picture was taken from ground level looking straight at the track. A.K.A. bankings are sweet.

My dad took this picture with his old film camera and I just think it's cool.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

T-Square posted:

Not that I really know jack poo poo about anything race-related, but aren't your shoulders supposed to be farther off the bike then your butt?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Are those Michelin Power One 2CT's? How do you like them?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tsaven Nava posted:

Not that I really know jack poo poo about anything race-related, but aren't your shoulders supposed to be farther off the bike then your butt?

Yeah, probably, but I've gotten multiple comments from control riders in track days that my body position is great, and it works fine for me so it's just another thing to work on. I've only been racing for 2 years, this year will be my 3rd season :)

aventari posted:

Are those Michelin Power One 2CT's? How do you like them?

Yes sir. They work out great for me, I've never had a problem with them this past season. Although I've heard from one other guy that he didn't like them because he felt that they lost front end grip without warning, but I've never had that problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

T-Square posted:

Yeah, probably, but I've gotten multiple comments from control riders in track days that my body position is great, and it works fine for me so it's just another thing to work on. I've only been racing for 2 years, this year will be my 3rd season :)

This guy seemed to do alright riding crossed up. BP's more a theorycraft for most, if you're not dragging hard parts, your BP's not gonna do much for you.

quote:

Yes sir. They work out great for me, I've never had a problem with them this past season. Although I've heard from one other guy that he didn't like them because he felt that they lost front end grip without warning, but I've never had that problem.

The P1s never quite worked right for me, could never get the feedback I was looking for with them.

Thanks for sharing the pics, I'd love to race Daytona one day.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

It's right up there at top for me. I know I personally give NASCAR a ton of poo poo for it, but there really is nothing like haulin' rear end around those bankings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

T-Square posted:

It's right up there at top for me. I know I personally give NASCAR a ton of poo poo for it, but there really is nothing like haulin' rear end around those bankings.

Yeah, the most banking I've ever been on is streets of willow, which is a comparatively tame 20 degrees. Nothing like a shitload of positive camber to help you out :D

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Z3n posted:

Yeah, the most banking I've ever been on is streets of willow, which is a comparatively tame 20 degrees. Nothing like a shitload of positive camber to help you out :D

That banked bowl is where I get the bike leaned over the most by far. My kickstand is worn half-through and the muffler can and pipe are worn pretty bad from that one turn :)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Another fun one is Grattan Raceway in Grattan, Michigan. The thing might as well be a drat roller coaster, there's more off-camber turns and elevation changes than you can shake a stick at :bahgawd:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
If all goes as planned the 250 should be taking a weekend trip down to tally in 3 weeks. Oh god, its gonna be so ridiculously fun. BT016's 110-17F/150-17R, haha.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMseWXoFVOo

Looks like I'm unconsciously pulling my knee in before it actually touches. Is my hip still pointed towards the outside?

Regardless, getting the rearsets moved up and back will do wonders for lean confidence (hope I can get these in before Friday), as well as having the techspecs moved properly so I can carry my weight on the tank instead of the inside footpeg. Had this mental block of leaning the bike over all weekend, especially after a long hiatus.

Oh and crashed last session Saturday on the outing lap. Just passed a guy after T4, braked, completely off the brakes, leaned in lazily T5 skeptical of entry speed, front tucks out at max lean a half-second after cracking open the gas. Completely my fault not respecting cold tires. Spent all of Sunday trying to work back to Saturday's pace. I knew why it happened and why I shouldn't be afraid of it happening again, but jesus christ it fucks with your head so much.

Question:
I know you're supposed to lock in BP before entry (before you start braking and downshifting?), but when exactly should that be ideally? I find it incredibly difficult hard braking (as well as awkward shifting) with a knee dangling out instead of bracing the tank. Is this just something you have to get used to, or can you just finish slowing down, assume corner BP, wait, then turn in?

Deodorant
Dec 10, 2006
Pete Doherty's dealer
Your video looks fine there. The main thing is that your foot stayed on the ball with the heel up. Everything else tends to follow that. Also, don't be afraid to stay off the bike a bit longer after the apex and instead focus on getting it upright and using the throttle more.

While I'm sometimes guilty of making my move off the seat during my turn in as well, ideally you do it somewhere down the straight before. You can still grip the tank with both legs if you need to, though it then becomes easier to stay crossed up through the entire corner.

I think you'll find that moving your knees closer to the tank with the pegs is going to make one-legged bracing a lot easier.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lokigoesrawr posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMseWXoFVOo

Looks like I'm unconsciously pulling my knee in before it actually touches. Is my hip still pointed towards the outside?

Hard to see but you look ok.

quote:

Oh and crashed last session Saturday on the outing lap. Just passed a guy after T4, braked, completely off the brakes, leaned in lazily T5 skeptical of entry speed, front tucks out at max lean a half-second after cracking open the gas. Completely my fault not respecting cold tires. Spent all of Sunday trying to work back to Saturday's pace. I knew why it happened and why I shouldn't be afraid of it happening again, but jesus christ it fucks with your head so much.

The problem with turning in lazily is that it means you'll need to carry more lean angle to make the corner...doubly tough when you're on cold tires. Either way, just in case you don't already know this: The best way to heat up tires is a lot of throttle and brake. My first 2 laps of the day, and my first lap of every session following, I'm doing my best to imitate a squid: Crawl through the corners, hard on the gas, hard on the brakes, crawl through the next corner.

quote:

Question:
I know you're supposed to lock in BP before entry (before you start braking and downshifting?), but when exactly should that be ideally? I find it incredibly difficult hard braking (as well as awkward shifting) with a knee dangling out instead of bracing the tank. Is this just something you have to get used to, or can you just finish slowing down, assume corner BP, wait, then turn in?

I'll still lock my inside leg to the tank, even with my rear end shifted off the seat so I'm prepped for turn in. Also, you're downshifting really late in your braking zone, get your shifting done as early in the braking zone as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO5z_aWdhEY#t=0m13s

Watch lorenzo. You can see him snap his rear end off the seat to the side, right as he pops up and begins to brake. You can't brake properly when you're trying to move around on the bike, you need to be locked in place and secure on the bike. The same is true of turn in, it's difficult to impossible to get consistent on turn in when you're also scooting your rear end around on the seat. It may not seem that important now, but it's key to build up a good base of techniques so that when you start going faster you've got both good habits and the consistency and precision that's needed to go fast.

The problem with waiting to set your body position after braking is you'll be coasting while you wait for yourself to get into position. After braking but before turn in is really the worst place to be. Plus, it's going to make it impossible to trail brake, which is a very useful technique.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 8, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

-Inu- posted:

If all goes as planned the 250 should be taking a weekend trip down to tally in 3 weeks. Oh god, its gonna be so ridiculously fun. BT016's 110-17F/150-17R, haha.

150s on a 3.5in rim are not going to handle right. The tire will be pinched in, reducing the size of the contact patch when leaned over. And you don't have enough power to take advantage of the larger contact patch (while upright) anyway. I wouldn't go over 140.

My track bike has a 4.25in rim, and 150/60 tires fit nicely. A 160/60 tire looks like an over inflated balloon on the same wheel.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 9, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

150s on a 3.5in rim are not going to handle right. The tire will be pinched in, reducing the size of the contact patch when leaned over. And you don't have enough power to take advantage of the larger contact patch (while upright) anyway. I wouldn't go over 140.

My track bike has a 4.25in rim, and 150/60 tires fit nicely. A 160/60 tire looks like an over inflated balloon on the same wheel.

Just echoing this...the general idea should be a 130 on a 3.5in rim, 150 on a 4.25in, 160 on a 4.5in, and 180+ on 5in or wider.

It's not the absolute end of the world, I've seen and ridden on tires that are pinched beyond belief, but it's going to cause you to flatspot faster and will reduce contact patch at lean.

However, tires vary in width, even within the confines of the 1x0 system...sometimes you'll have a narrow 150 that'll fit just fine on a 3.5 inch rim, it just depends. Look at the tire maker's recommended rim size, and you should be able to figure out if it'll be alright or not from there.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
The problem is finding a decently sticky tire that small. I said the same thing as you, but I was talking to a few WERA guys who run the 016 150s on their 250's and they haven't had any issues. It's going to change the feel of the bike for sure, but 150 seems to be the standard for 250 trackdays/racing so I think it will be alright. At least I hope so.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Inu: at least you're on 17" and not 16" rims (-07) :3:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
What's the closest & best place near Vancouver, BC for track days/lessons? Seattle?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to the track today and crashed 0 times. A personal best! :haw:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Zool posted:

I went to the track today and crashed 0 times. A personal best! :haw:

No poo poo, haha, same here. :downs:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A bit of helmet cam from said zero crash track day.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXm1J_xnv8

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I think I want to ride a motorcycle on the track.

I've only put just over 1k miles on my beat up old 250. Do I need to spend more time just riding around? What should I look for in a track bike? What else can I do to prepare myself to ride on a track.

Also, any suggestions for schools or other good newbie track experience near Austin, TX? I don't really know where to start.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Resource posted:

I think I want to ride a motorcycle on the track.

I've only put just over 1k miles on my beat up old 250. Do I need to spend more time just riding around? What should I look for in a track bike? What else can I do to prepare myself to ride on a track.

Also, any suggestions for schools or other good newbie track experience near Austin, TX? I don't really know where to start.

Figure out what tracks are within the distance you're willing to travel. You can probably find a decent sample of them here:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/resources/tracks/

Figure out what organizations are running events at those tracks. Again, many of them might be listed here:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/calendar/glance/

You'll need a 1-piece or full circumference zippered 2-piece (leather) suit, full boots, and gauntlet gloves. That'll run you anywhere from 300 to a grand. Figure out how you're going to haul your bike to and from the track. Make sure you have good tires, and that all wear items are excellent--cosmetics/plastics are a non-issue; go through the org's tech list, rules, etc. Also, pick up a copy of Twist of the Wrist 2.

When you go through all that and become addicted (it's honestly beyond my comprehension as how one would avoid obsessive addiction), start looking for track mods or track bikes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Piggy-backing on Resource's post, is there an expectation as far as rider experience is concerned when you show up for a track school? I don't plan on attending one for another year or so due to finances, but even then, I wouldn't want to get eaten alive by all others in attendance.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

AncientTV posted:

Piggy-backing on Resource's post, is there an expectation as far as rider experience is concerned when you show up for a track school? I don't plan on attending one for another year or so due to finances, but even then, I wouldn't want to get eaten alive by all others in attendance.

I don't think I'm really qualified to answer these questions, but I get the general impression that most track schools have programs geared toward riders who have never been on the track. Track schools often seem to have different levels of classes. You're generally expected to be comfortable riding a motorcycle.

Ask the individual schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I haven't done my first track day yet, but I'm signed up and ready to go for it. I'd like to point out that usually for the Novice classes, the requirements for gear are slightly less strict. I checked ahead with the organizer of mine (STT), and they allow textile suits and flip-face helmets in the novice category.

• Locked thread