Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

I'm speaking of the TrackAddix school

Cool. I signed up with them today, going to do their school this weekend :woop:

Also, picked up a trailer. CHECK OUT MY TRACKDAY RIG

I couldn't get less torque in that photo if I tried. And guess which vehicle makes more power...

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is yours actually rated to tow? My newer model isn't (at least I don't think it is) so I'm afraid to even try :ohdear:

I do so want to do track days :ohdear:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

lancemantis posted:

Is yours actually rated to tow? My newer model isn't (at least I don't think it is) so I'm afraid to even try :ohdear:

I do so want to do track days :ohdear:

If you think about it, that's probably no more then ~700lbs being towed, which is the equivalent of squeezing a few fat people into the car. It's not going to win drag races with it, but it should be okay.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!

Tsaven Nava posted:

If you think about it, that's probably no more then ~700lbs being towed, which is the equivalent of squeezing a few fat people into the car. It's not going to win drag races with it, but it should be okay.

It's not the pulling it that is the concern; most anything can pull a trailer. The part of the equation you need to factor in is the braking capability of the tow vehicle.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Even if the trailer weighs 700lbs with the bike, that's probably still under the car's rated GRVW

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Still, weight pushing the car is different than sprung weight inside the car. I'd be hesitant to put my life in the hands of a Honda Civic's brakes.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

It's not the pulling it that is the concern; most anything can pull a trailer. The part of the equation you need to factor in is the braking capability of the tow vehicle.

I'm not too worried about towing with my car. I drag a (significantly bigger, heavier, hauling WAY more weight) trailer around with my ancient truck constantly and fully realize that whatever I'm towing with isn't going to react the same way as it does unloaded. And realistically, the difference between a standard Civic and my Si is drat near a "tow package" in my eyes... Manual transmission with closer gear ratios and a shorter final gear, much stiffer suspension, beefier tires, WAY better brakes... Honestly I was shocked how little the back end of the car squatted when I loaded the bike on there. It's only down .5-.75". I need to play around with the positioning of the chock to get weight distribution right, it's too far forward right now.

That little trailer is built like a brick shithouse too. Longer neck so it reduces tongue weight, WAY wider track and tires than most small trailers. I'm very impressed with it so far.

lancemantis if you're looking at MAM you're somewhere in the area... still time to get signed up for this weekend! You've got until midnight tonight at the pre-register price, and if you call you might be able to get it tomorrow too.

Edit: frozenphil I've got pretty decent disc brakes all around, and all four corners have pretty fresh pads. The Si has significantly better brakes than a standard Civic.

Honestly it seems people think they need WAY more tow vehicle than they actually do around here. I see people pulling fairly lightweight single axle trailers behind freakin one ton trucks all the time and it blows my mind.

needknees fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 8, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

frozenphil posted:

Loki, have you ridden Barber before? I live like 45 minutes from the track.

Looks like he got on the throttle a little too much and slid a bit.

Be aware that just after 6 is a pretty good little bump that will catch you by surprise. I think they fixed the one between 5b and 6. Also, don't target fixate on the brick wall in 1; it looks way closer than it is and scares the poo poo out of everyone their first time.

Edit: Oh hey the post I replied to is like 2 months old. :cool:

Going into T1 did scare me the first weekend. I had to really exaggerate looking into the turn (past the outside of the right-hander T2 entry) to try and mentally block out the seemingly close wall. The second time I was there an STT instructor ran me through the 1-gear drill, holding 3rd for the entire track, limiting straightaway speeds. Did wonders for carrying entry speed as I was over-braking at the end of straights from being overwhelmed before the drill. My Barber laptimes are still sitting at a pathetic 2:03-05, though.

----
Just got back from an amazing 3-day weekend at Road Atlanta. Temps in the 70s-80s, tires seemed to be pretty much at temp on the outing lap -- such a great feeling. By the last run session, I was posting consistent 1:53-54s compared to my 2:07s (and freak :04) in December, and finally got bumped into NESBA Intermediate group Sunday afternoon.

Still haven't dragged knee (while on the bike :haw: ), so my attempts at fast flicks are inconsistent and I'm still a big pussy about lean angle. I think I'm getting fairly decent at high speed turns keeping pace with the faster guys, but the slower T7 and T12 still loving kill me. Looking at footage, my lines seem to be getting better, but seeing lazy steering (and thus an inconsistent line) in a lot of turns is a huge eyesore. CRs/instructors have been telling me my BP looks good for the last few trackdays so I think I'm pulling my knee in before it hits the ground and/or being a big pussy.

Also, my Q2s have lasted an obscene number of trackdays (1.5CMP+2JGP+2ATL+4Barber+3ATL= 12 days; though quite a few rainy). The front is still good and the rear could probably barely pass another day of tech. Been hauling around a spare rear since December.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

lokigoesrawr posted:

My Barber laptimes are still sitting at a pathetic 2:03-05, though.

Don't feel too bad, the AMA Superbike guys only run a 1:40 or so. ;)
If you want retarded, the IRL race is this weekend; they turned 1:19 laps last year and may turn 1:09 or lower this year.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Road Atlanta trackmap

T5: ego shot

T6

T7 front

T7 rear

crashiT10A: pitting like a pro :downs:

My buddy RogueEngineer went down Saturday afternoon after riding the poo poo out of my Ninja 250. Dragging knee through half the turns and scraping peg carrying pace in quite a few. (Consistently 10-20mph faster than me on both bikes in T7&12.) Finally leaned it over a little too far and went down in 10B exit.

the aftermath

The peg bolt bracket on the right rearset broke off, so he ended up fixing it with a drill and some random hardware we had laying around. I had a spare left peg, so we jammed it on and cut it down for more lean clearance.

Had a huge chunk of fairing missing, so we had a little fun.

...a little too much fun

RogueEngineer reppin' the HK

aaaaaand back at it on Sunday; T7

my purty new sticker

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 8, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

Cool. I signed up with them today, going to do their school this weekend :woop:

Also, picked up a trailer. CHECK OUT MY TRACKDAY RIG

I couldn't get less torque in that photo if I tried. And guess which vehicle makes more power...

Not trying hard enough.

(Not me)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

drat you guys and all your early track time:argh:

First race is the weekend of the 23rd this month at Topeka, Kansas. Never been there before so we'll see how that goes. Probably get my rear end kicked since I'll be running the SV650 in middleweight supersport :what:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
T-Square, why can't you run it in lightweight supersport?

Also, I've linked this before but goddamnit, here it is again, this is how you pack 2 bikes:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Since this is my first trackday ever this saturday someone tell me what poo poo I'm forgetting:

Bike (duh)
bike key
leathers
helmet
gloves
boots
back protector
ear plugs
common tools
stands
extra gas
lots of water
food

Any advise other than "don't wad your poo poo"?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Tire pressure gauge and a bicycle pump that will work on your rims.

And painkillers, trackdays can workout strange muscles and some ibuprofen at the end of the day can be a life saver.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

Since this is my first trackday ever this saturday someone tell me what poo poo I'm forgetting:

Bike (duh)
bike key
leathers
helmet
gloves
boots
back protector
ear plugs
common tools
stands
extra gas
lots of water
food

Any advise other than "don't wad your poo poo"?

A chair, some electrolyte powder or tablets, gaff and electrical tape, zip ties, a spare pair or two of socks, a towel and sunscreen. With the food, take lots of small things and snack during the day, rather than just having something big for lunch. Apples, bananas and museli bars are best.

Oh, and never pass round the outside unless you're in the top group, and even then be careful. Take them under brakes early, or up the inside on the gas on exit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

or up the inside on the gas on exit.

Best place to pass ever. Sometimes it can help to brake a little harder, a little earlier, let them gap you slightly on corner entrance, and then carry more cornerspeed and get on the gas earlier to get by them with authority and keep good safety margins. Giving them a bit of a gap gives you a couple of things...a little additional time to drift wide on exit so you have more space to go up the inside, and enough space on corner entrance to carry more speed through without worrying about rear end packing them. Plus it helps you open up your vision so you're not all fixated on the guy in front of you.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 8, 2010

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

I wish I had Under Armor or at least a dozen clean t-shirts and socks this past weekend. So retardedly sweaty.

If they have electric hookups, fans and/or heaters have been useful. Chairs and a canopy if you have one.

If you're running video, make sure you have something to dump the video on or extra memory cards. If they don't have electricity, a usb car charger works well. My gopro hd usually does just shy of a day on a full charge.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Z3n posted:

T-Square, why can't you run it in lightweight supersport?

I am, but I'm running in middleweight as well, because I'll be racing a CBR600RR in the middleweight class the rest of the season. Double points weekend, might as well get a leg up on everyone else that inevitably won't be out there.

Edit for clarity: A CBR which won't quite be ready for the first race in Topeka. Next race we're good :)

T-Square fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 9, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A chair, some electrolyte powder or tablets, gaff and electrical tape, zip ties, a spare pair or two of socks, a towel and sunscreen. With the food, take lots of small things and snack during the day, rather than just having something big for lunch. Apples, bananas and museli bars are best.

lokigoesrawr posted:

I wish I had Under Armor or at least a dozen clean t-shirts and socks this past weekend. So retardedly sweaty.

If they have electric hookups, fans and/or heaters have been useful. Chairs and a canopy if you have one.

If you're running video, make sure you have something to dump the video on or extra memory cards. If they don't have electricity, a usb car charger works well. My gopro hd usually does just shy of a day on a full charge.

See I'm glad I asked :).

I've got chairs but probably wouldn't have remembered them. Don't have a canopy yet, I'm going to have to look into one of those. Shade is good. I pretty much always wear underarmor stuff under leathers so that's always with them. Extra socks are a great idea.

I'm not sure if the place has electric or not (they probably do) but I'll be bringing my laptop with to unload my gopro's card. Luckily my phone, still camera, and gopro all use the same plug and will charge off of my phone's car charger :toot:. The laptop should have enough juice to last what little I'll be using it during the day, or I'm sure I can plug it in somewhere for a little bit if not.

Thanks for the help, everyone! ...is it saturday yet???

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
oh oh and know which fuses to pull for headlight and tail/brake lights so you don't have to deal with melted tape residue later

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lokigoesrawr posted:

oh oh and know which fuses to pull for headlight and tail/brake lights so you don't have to deal with melted tape residue later

Planning to do that the night before. This track (like most) requires you to remove the license plate and tape/remove any mirrors and lights. My rear turn signals and plate are all on one easy to remove bracket so that's no biggie. I'm going to have to unplug the headlight bulbs instead of pulling the fuse though, since the fuse ties the headlights to the ignition. Front turn signals are integrated into the mirrors and they're coming off as well.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't believe MAM has any conveniently located electrical since most guys have always had generators from what I've seen (and I've never seen an outlet in the 'paddock' area)

Maybe you should have bought a new superbike so you could get a canopy/chairs/tire warmers/etc :smug:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Oh, and never pass round the outside unless you're in the top group, and even then be careful. Take them under brakes early, or up the inside on the gas on exit.

That's kind-of odd, the last track day I went to had rules that the only time you could pass (in the intermediate group)was on straights or on the outside. Novice was pass on straights only, and advanced was anywhere.

Edit: Duurr nevermind he is in the novice group :downs:

Anyways, best of luck needknees, and have fun!

T-Square fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 9, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

T-Square posted:

That's kind-of odd, the last track day I went to had rules that the only time you could pass (in the intermediate group)was on straights or on the outside. Novice was pass on straights only, and advanced was anywhere.

That's not a rule, it's just the best and safest way to pass. If people gently caress a corner, they'll run wide and if you're there sneaking round, you're gonna end up on your arse. Most places that don't allow passing up the inside only ban it during the corner. To pass up the inside on exit, you time it so that you pass them post-apex as they drift out wide as they accelerate.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. At first I didn't realize he was going to be in the novice group where riders running wide is a greater possibility.

I just need to get on the track :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
At the track now, just ate some lunch. HOLY loving poo poo this is fun! Had a cr behind me for a good chunk of our last session, got some good feedback from him. Apparentlyu form is halfway decent but my line choice sucks, heh.

This.

poo poo.

Rocks.

:hellyeah:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

At the track now, just ate some lunch. HOLY loving poo poo this is fun! Had a cr behind me for a good chunk of our last session, got some good feedback from him. Apparentlyu form is halfway decent but my line choice sucks, heh.

This.

poo poo.

Rocks.

:hellyeah:

I'm so jealous! Happy for ya. Keep hydrated and have fun out there. Try to use the whole track and establish some reference points for turn-ins (and braking, etc. when you find a little more consistency).

You're on for both days, right? The subsequent days are even better since you have a much better bearing of the track. Are you camping in the paddock?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
This could of been you

Except it wasn't haha :)

It could have been me too, if I had the necessary equipment :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lokigoesrawr posted:

I'm so jealous! Happy for ya. Keep hydrated and have fun out there. Try to use the whole track and establish some reference points for turn-ins (and braking, etc. when you find a little more consistency).

You're on for both days, right? The subsequent days are even better since you have a much better bearing of the track. Are you camping in the paddock?

Luckily(?!?) the track's surface is filled with reference points due to it being kinda lovely. There's patches and spots all over, plus a lot of poo poo to reference on the side of the track. They also put out cones at some turn in, apex, and exit points in the trickier sections of track.

I only did yesterday -- This whole thing was kind of a spur of the moment type deal. I registered on tuesday for track time on Saturday :downs:. I've got another weekend coming up at the end of the month at Autobahn south though... I just couldn't wait. Additionally, the school I took enables me to do TrackAddix's MotoMondays, which is some pretty goddamn cheap track time. I'm actually glad I didn't do both days, I woke up this morning and my legs were like "what the gently caress did you do to yourself" :)

lancemantis posted:

This could of been you

Except it wasn't haha :)

It could have been me too, if I had the necessary equipment :(

Was that you who rolled up on the red CBR600? What equipment are you lacking? You don't need to go all fancy and have a track bike, stands, tire warmers, trailer, etc... your bike will be fine with very minimal prep you can do at the track, and you can probably get pants that attach to your jacket that would be legal. Hell, there was a dude who rolled in on a ZX14 complete with hardbags. He took those off, taped his poo poo, and was ready to go. He rode with us in the novice group (and passed me once :() and did pretty drat well. If that's not a testament to being able to track a bike without some elaborate setup I don't know what is.

Anyway, story time!

I decided to get the bike ready and pack everything up the night before, then wake up and drive over to MAM in the morning rather than camping out. I'm glad I did that because it took me a lot longer to wrangle everything up than I expected -- I wouldn't have gotten there until after midnight.

When I got everything taped up I noticed something... The CBR's headlights are shaped like bat wings.

Quick, run away! There's some strange creature in my rearview mirror! :spooky:

"N" is for NEWB.

The little Civic that could:

I was very impressed with how my car hauled the bike. Interstate speeds were no issue at all, no strange handling, no issues braking, no excessive squatting of the suspension... Very pleased. I got a lot of strange looks as I went down the road though, apparently people aren't used to seeing a little hatchback towing a trailer :v:.

Arrived at MAM with plenty of time to register and set up my pit. Since I was doing the school we met in the classroom for about an hour in the morning while other groups were attending the normal rider's meeting and out for their first (forty minute!) session. We covered basic stuff about the track like entering and exiting, what all the flags mean, etc. We then went out for our first session to learn the track layout. Here's the track map:

There were only 6 people in the school and three others in the novice class and we had three CRs... lots of watchful eyes. Our first session we split into groups behind the CRs and did laps with the students alternating being behind the CR to get an idea of a decent line around the track. Even though we were just putzing around it was exciting to actually be on a racetrack!

Second session was similar, except we took turns IN FRONT of our CR so they could watch our lines. This was pretty fun, and we got a lot more feedback after this session.

Third session was pretty much free game. I've got video of this session uploading (very slowly) now. TrackAddix has different regulations than the other groups that operate in the area. Even in Novice they're pretty loose on passing -- basically, they prefer passing to be done in the straights but if you can very safely pass in a corner they don't really care. Since there were so few people on the track this wasn't an issue, I generally passed one or two people a session, and the CRs were kinda floating around and would whip around me every once in awhile. Other than the CRs I was passed by the ZX14 dude once and one other person, so hopefully I wasn't holding people up :ohdear:

Of course, my memory card ended up getting full on the 5th session, and that's the one I really wanted to go back and watch. One of the CRs worked with me for a huge chunk of the session and it really helped out. He stopped me at the hot pits and talked with me for awhile after we were done -- He'd been behind me for a few laps and noticed I was really botching corner entrance on 5-6, and was way overbraking on 1 (which doesn't surprise me because a fairly tight turn after a bigass straight is scary :( ). My issue with 5-6 was a late turn in -- I think a lot of this came from the lovely seam throughout the entire track that's very noticeable in these turns. It knocks you around quite a bit (even though it really doesn't mess with your line) but I got it in my head I needed to square that corner off more so I didn't spend as much time on the seam, which put me in a bad position to take advantage of 6's increasing radius. Something to work on next time for sure. In this conversation the CR said I looked to be "in control, with good form". He also asked a couple times "is this seriously your first trackday?" which made me pretty :smug:

Throughout the entire day I only had two pucker moments, which given my fairly sedate pace doesn't surprise me much. One was after my overly early braking coming into turn 1, where I apexed too early and got on the paint/rumble strip, which was pretty freakin slick and my rear end end skipped out to the track. The other was when I came into the turn 9 chicane too hot, got on the brakes a little hard and picked the rear up a bit, stared at the dirt for a little bit then thought to myself "self, what the gently caress are you doing you can make this poo poo" and managed to tear my eyes away from the runoff and very crappily made my way through the corner. Of course, and I was unaware at the time, the organizer of the event / CR had been behind me for a lap or two and saw this go down. He found me after the session was over and talked what happened, and complimented me on the save :v:. Target fixation is a bitch. It seemed like an eternity when I was looking at the dirt, in reality it was only a fraction of a second, but that fraction of a second (and my lack of skill) nearly hosed me over. The guy gave me a ton of good info about entering/exiting the chicane though, and I kicked its rear end the next session out. One trip through there literally had me yelling "gently caress yeah!" in my helmet, which I thought was pretty funny.

Of course, I forgot my cable to dump my GoPro's video onto my laptop throughout the day so it got full and I missed the last couple sessions. I was happy that was the only thing I did forget though, I usually end up leaving something important behind every time I go somewhere.

Here's my tires at the end of the day. I finally got rid of the horrible flat spot down the center that comes from street riding in Iowa!

Left side of rear:

Right side of rear:

Right side front:

...Can you tell MAM is a counterclockwise oriented track? This brings me to another couple questions. Those are the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers. They seemed to grip just fine to me but I wasn't running a very quick pace. I ended up running ~30psi in the front and was going to run 31psi in the rear, but a CR dropped it down to 28 or so. What kind of pressures should I be running? Does that tire wear look normal?

One other thing I did notice was how much the lever travel of my front brake changed throughout each session. On the street I normally run the adjuster around the middle of the range at number 3. I had to bump it out to the furthest setting away to keep it from smashing my knuckles at the end of the session. I asked one of the CRs (who was riding his new CBR1000... :D ) and he said one of the first thing he does to any bike is throw a set of braided steel brake lines on the front. After feeling what the stock rubber lines did on a fairly mild day, I think that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Sorry for the huge :words: post, but that trackday was honestly one of the most exhilarating things I've done in my life. I CANNOT wait for the end of the month when I'm going out again!

edit: Here's the turn 9 fuckup I was talking about. Watching the video it doesn't look that bad at all, but it was a moderately pantsleathers-making GBS threads experience for me :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wLQA_oLnRc

needknees fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 12, 2010

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
I also ran the track this weekend! Nashville Superspeedway infield, which was a blast. Worked on my body positioning throughout the day:

Got bumped up to advanced novice and had a great time. We had a 'Busa and a ZX14 tooling around in novice class, too. It was fun watching those guys blast off down the nascar banking.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

needknees posted:

Was that you who rolled up on the red CBR600? What equipment are you lacking? You don't need to go all fancy and have a track bike, stands, tire warmers, trailer, etc... your bike will be fine with very minimal prep you can do at the track, and you can probably get pants that attach to your jacket that would be legal. Hell, there was a dude who rolled in on a ZX14 complete with hardbags. He took those off, taped his poo poo, and was ready to go. He rode with us in the novice group (and passed me once :() and did pretty drat well. If that's not a testament to being able to track a bike without some elaborate setup I don't know what is.

It was the orange one parked near the Duke/spotty CBR1000RR later in the day.

I had just put on the sliders/engine covers finally that morning actually :shobon: I kind of want a trailer still just so I can get my bike home should something bad happen, or if I'm just tired :ohdear: I should have such facilities available later this year (too late for this season, but ready for next). Plus then I could go to Hastings and such.

The only thing I really need is a different getup since I don't have a 360* zipper. I've been needing new pants/jacket anyway since my current stuff doesn't really fit properly anymore so I've been thinking of getting a 2 piece so I could use it for that and my regular street riding. I guess I could try having them order something in and guestimate my sizing.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

It was the orange one parked near the Duke/spotty CBR1000RR later in the day.

I had just put on the sliders/engine covers finally that morning actually :shobon: I kind of want a trailer still just so I can get my bike home should something bad happen, or if I'm just tired :ohdear: I should have such facilities available later this year (too late for this season, but ready for next). Plus then I could go to Hastings and such.

The only thing I really need is a different getup since I don't have a 360* zipper. I've been needing new pants/jacket anyway since my current stuff doesn't really fit properly anymore so I've been thinking of getting a 2 piece so I could use it for that and my regular street riding. I guess I could try having them order something in and guestimate my sizing.

A trailer is nice for sure. I know I wouldn't have wanted to ride 2.5hrs after being at the track all day, but if I was less than a half hour away I might consider it. I definitely was beat at the end of the day though.

And now... Video of me being slow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xKb5ZcsA0

edit - any critiques (other than go faster, because I already know I need to do that :( ) would be appreciated.

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 12, 2010

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

TheUltimateCool posted:

I also ran the track this weekend! Nashville Superspeedway infield, which was a blast. Worked on my body positioning throughout the day:

Got bumped up to advanced novice and had a great time. We had a 'Busa and a ZX14 tooling around in novice class, too. It was fun watching those guys blast off down the nascar banking.

hah sup exact same AGV suit and SV buddy

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

needknees posted:

And now... Video of me being slow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xKb5ZcsA0

edit - any critiques (other than go faster, because I already know I need to do that :( ) would be appreciated.

Your turn-in seems pretty vague for a few corners, and although you hit the apex most of the time, you're not always tracking out all the way to the outside afterwards. I'd suggest doing the "two-step" which is where before a corner, you select the turn-in point, then find the apex, and as you're staring at the apex, notice in your peripherals when you hit the turn-in and aggressively steer the bike in. It should result in a nice and crisp turn-in and a good straight line through the corner. Then it's a matter of dialing in throttle after you hit the apex and letting the bike track out, using as much asphalt as possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Your turn-in seems pretty vague for a few corners, and although you hit the apex most of the time, you're not always tracking out all the way to the outside afterwards.

He's simply not going fast enough to use all the track. This is the number one thing that new riders to the track do that they absolutely do not need to do...they spend a lot of time drifting out wide only to have to swoop all the way back across the track to get to their next turn in point. You should only use as much track on exit as you absolutely need to use, the excess is both safety buffer and a good indicator of how much more speed you can carry through. This leads to them being unpredictable as they run really wide on every exit, unpredictable swooping across the track to make their next turn in, and they've got a greater chance of running off if they blow a corner because they're always running to the outside when they just don't need to.

If you watch any professional racing, you'll see that on many corners, they won't approach using the whole track...it's pointless to cover ground that you don't need to cover, you're just making the track longer for yourself.

quote:

I'd suggest doing the "two-step" which is where before a corner, you select the turn-in point, then find the apex, and as you're staring at the apex, notice in your peripherals when you hit the turn-in and aggressively steer the bike in. It should result in a nice and crisp turn-in and a good straight line through the corner.

This is good though. Vision and looking through the corner properly is essential.

Besides that, you really need to get off the literbike and on to a bike that'll actually let you use the revs correctly. You're staying off the gas, not getting pinned, out of the power band, braking early because the bike's too quick, and are just in general not being consistent as you travel around the track. You're in control and smooth, which is good, but you're not able to take advantage of what the bike has to offer yet. Moving down to a smaller bike will make you faster and more comfortable on the bike, and let you get closer to the limits without feeling like your head is going to explode.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 12, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Hey guys, what sort of things should I do to the bike before a track day?

I'm going to the Autobahn track at the end of the month with Needknees and Nerobro, going to be on my '04 Wee-strom. I took off the square, hard Metzler Tourance tires and put on some Road Attacks on, and I'm going to be changing the fork oil and putting in some inertia valves (Rioch Intiminators) in the next week.

Other then taping over everything, what else should be done to a daily-commuter bike to prep it for the track? Should I remove the center stand? Obviously I'll be taking off the hard bags, but I was thinking about leaving the bag support on to function as sliders in the event of an off? Should I take the windshield off?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Don't overthink it, haha. Don't remove the windscreen. Shouldn't need to remove the centerstand, if you're dragging it, get on the gas a little earlier to jack up the bike and keep it off the ground. If you have to slide on something, would you rather slide on the bag supports or the bags?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
The bags reduce cornering clearance by quite a lot, in addition to being extra weight and two giant square sails sticking out into the wind. I sort of assumed they range officials wouldn't let me on the track with them on, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

The bags reduce cornering clearance by quite a lot, in addition to being extra weight and two giant square sails sticking out into the wind. I sort of assumed they range officials wouldn't let me on the track with them on, to be honest.

Eh you don't need to worry about the additional weight or the fact that they're sails, but reducing cornering clearance is bad, so pull them off. Remember you're on a 'strom, not a sportbike, and it's not a race. You're just out to have some fun, not worry about 10ths. :)

• Locked thread