Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

It's not just Ram. People have had it with $85k strip model trucks and $100k well equipped trucks. The lots are overflowing with them at Dodge, Ford and Chevy too. They finally pushed too far and with interest rates what they are the kind of person who would spend 6 figgies on a measly 1/2 ton pickup (read: toy, not a truck capable of real truck-type work) simply can't afford it. In that same price range but targeted at a very different market segment, Porsche can't seem to keep Macans and Cayennes in stock however.

It's not because trucks are suddenly bad, it's because the prices have increased four times in under 3 years. In 2019I was looking for a short wheel base ProMaster that was offered for about 31k after incentives. It starts at $44.5k today, completely unchanged, and that price solidified in 2023. I didn't follow price increases for pickup trucks, but suddenly you can't buy one under 50k, which is insane. It's just people pushing back against corporate greed, which was suddenly amplified by the sleaziest profession in the world, the auto salesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

It's not because trucks are suddenly bad, it's because the prices have increased four times in under 3 years.

Of course not. Trucks are so much better/nicer than they every have been in ride quality, towing capacity, interior trim, etc. But not to the extent that that price has increased.

Trucks were so "bad" (just work vehicles, then with some fancy chotchkies inside) for so long that I swore them off in lieu of a dump trailer and SUV that actually rides well/is comfortable. It's still the right choice, but if they were as nice as they are now/the last 15 years I may not have made that absolutely correct (for me at least) choice.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

how do you sell -1 Chrysler 200

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roseo posted:

The cr-v has huge rear end back seats, they've got the same legroom as the front, the doors open wide, and it's easy as hell to get things in and out of there along with having a great storage area in the rear. It's one of the reasons I bought mine.

Are the new ones bigger, because I never would have described the back seats of my 2013 CR-V as "huge rear end". Sufficient, sure, but at 6'4" anyone behind me meant I had to scoot forward at least a little. That was still far better than the Mazda3 it replaced because anyone behind me meant we were both intensely uncomfortable.

I still wish I hadn't sold that CR-V, in no small part because I probably couldn't buy one for less than 40% more than I sold mine for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

how do you sell -1 Chrysler 200

Lemon law'd

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are the new ones bigger, because I never would have described the back seats of my 2013 CR-V as "huge rear end". Sufficient, sure, but at 6'4" anyone behind me meant I had to scoot forward at least a little. That was still far better than the Mazda3 it replaced because anyone behind me meant we were both intensely uncomfortable.

I still wish I hadn't sold that CR-V, in no small part because I probably couldn't buy one for less than 40% more than I sold mine for.

I don't think I've been in an older one but looking up specs shows that yeah they have. The 2013 shows 41"/38" front/rear seat legroom while the 6th gen has both at 41". I'm only average height so I've never really had a problem with rear seats but I'm used to them being pretty cramped regardless. When I've sat in the rear of mine that's not the case.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Welp the old man heard all of you telepathically and went and bought a rav 4 hybrid. Two years old with 20k miles. Hopefully it'll be the last car he needs to buy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its a shame what cars have become these days

But good for your dad that is a solid car

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Motronic posted:

Of course not. Trucks are so much better/nicer than they every have been in ride quality, towing capacity, interior trim, etc. But not to the extent that that price has increased.

Trucks were so "bad" (just work vehicles, then with some fancy chotchkies inside) for so long that I swore them off in lieu of a dump trailer and SUV that actually rides well/is comfortable. It's still the right choice, but if they were as nice as they are now/the last 15 years I may not have made that absolutely correct (for me at least) choice.

it's true they drive better than they used too but are still a poo poo choice for any sort of commute. they still get poo poo gas mileage and parking is still a major pain in the rear end. making them so expensive means harder to have a second car or justify that bullshit as a solo car

Cage posted:

Welp the old man heard all of you telepathically and went and bought a rav 4 hybrid. Two years old with 20k miles. Hopefully it'll be the last car he needs to buy.

nice. so he didn't immediately get caught in a options package trap like I did.... I think mine might stand out as a bling trim with the black wheels it came on lol.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I for one am glad mass market generic cars' higher trims either come with or have non-optional optional Fancy Rims because it indulges the secret 13 year old inside me.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

zedprime posted:

I for one am glad mass market generic cars' higher trims either come with or have non-optional optional Fancy Rims because it indulges the secret 13 year old inside me.

Same, lol. Its nice to not have to do that myself. Early twenties me had Porsche rims on my vw bug, I felt like such a baller.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Is there a go-to credit union for new auto loans in Northern NJ / Northeast US? It's looking like I'm gonna be stuck with a 6-7% rate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PenFed is still a good one to shop. They're pretty aggressive on auto loans.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the new CR-V generations have impressive packaging for the rear passengers. As a giant giraffe man driver, no rear passengers in any non-large vehicle youre driving will be comfortable, so its not exactly a fair measure

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are the new ones bigger

As a rule, every new generation of a car model gets bigger and fatter and more expensive. A 2024 CR-V is two generations newer than your 2013 and in a segment where most buyers place passenger and cargo volume at the top of their list so that's what new models focus on.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

there's a 2010 crv parked next to my 2024 rav4 rn and they're almost identical size if this helps

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ethanol posted:

there's a 2010 crv parked next to my 2024 rav4 rn and they're almost identical size if this helps

generally stuff like interior packaging and space utilization improve over time as well. some exceptions apply.

imo one of the biggest advantages of the new CR-V compared to the RAV-4 is that its not dog poo poo ugly

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I have the opposite view the new crv is ugly to me, more minivan like

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm not an expert, but are there two different CRVs and one is longer than the other? Or perhaps they're different generations?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Guinness posted:

As a rule, every new generation of a car model gets bigger and fatter and more expensive. A 2024 CR-V is two generations newer than your 2013 and in a segment where most buyers place passenger and cargo volume at the top of their list so that's what new models focus on.

"but they're safer!"

has safety meaningfully made any improvements since, like, the early 2000s? seems like all its done now is made them even more deadly to pedestrians due to higher weight

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shipon posted:

"but they're safer!"

has safety meaningfully made any improvements since, like, the early 2000s? seems like all its done now is made them even more deadly to pedestrians due to higher weight

Yes, absolutely.

New platforms have contained progressively more advanced steel alloys, which ensure that the passenger compartment does not deform.
Side airbags, side curtain airbags, and knee airbags are generally standard.
Traction and stability control are standard.
All of the various active safety features make cars safer - automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, active cruise control, etc. These are increasingly standard on most cars.

edit: all else equal (driving style, conditions, etc) you are less likely to get in an accident in a 2024 CR-V than you are in a 2013 CR-V, and if you do get in an accident your injuries are likely to be less severe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, absolutely.

New platforms have contained progressively more advanced steel alloys, which ensure that the passenger compartment does not deform.
Side airbags, side curtain airbags, and knee airbags are generally standard.
Traction and stability control are standard.
All of the various active safety features make cars safer - automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, active cruise control, etc. These are increasingly standard on most cars.

edit: all else equal (driving style, conditions, etc) you are less likely to get in an accident in a 2024 CR-V than you are in a 2013 CR-V, and if you do get in an accident your injuries are likely to be less severe.

Fact: My first car was a '99 Pontiac Bonneville.

Fact: I did not die in that car.

Fact: I'm the main character of the entire universe.

Thus: Cars peaked in '99. Every car before then was a dangerous shitheap and every car after is a nanny-mobile for whiny babies.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So an old guy decided to T-bone my wife driving our nice, low miles 2020 Corolla in a parking lot by driving across the empty parking spaces at speed, and hosed up the front passenger side so bad it's totalled. I got good advice from you nerds before, so why not touch base again? I put maybe 25k miles on the old car in 4 years, so I'm not exactly a frequent driver.

Proposed Budget: Total around $35-40k at most? I'm getting about $15k after paying off the wrecked car's loan, so I have a solid down payment.
New or Used: Leaning new. This will be our sole vehicle, and as far as I know used prices are still hosed up.
Body Style: It's me, my wife, and one kiddo. Our previous car was a compact, and we're OK with another one, but it's getting a bit cramped, so we're thinking CUV/SUV.
How will you be using the car?: Errands, not a daily commute (I'm WFH), the occasional family/social event. A couple times a year we might drive inter-state.

What aspects are most important to you?
1. Reliability. This will be our only vehicle for some time. We were getting close to paying off the old one, and then this happened. :(
2. Fuel Economy. Gas sucks.
3. Back seats/Cargo. The kiddo's getting tall fast, and it'd be nice to have room for him. For this reason, we're not thinking the Prius would be a good fit, though I'd take one if it was just me. It'd also be nice not to have to borrow another car any time I want to move anything bigger than a lunch pail.
4. Comfort. My wife has some rather nasty nerve/autoimmune issues that cause her a lot of pain, so a car she can drive/ride in comfortably would be great. We do plan to test drive.

We're leaning toward a RAV4 Hybrid or CR-V Hybrid. Another Corolla or a Prius would be too small for the times when all three of us would be in the car, especially since I'm a tall person, and my kiddo is tall for his age. It'd also be nice to not have to fall into my car any more because it's so low. The thread seems in favor of the two we're considering, but last time I checked in I hadn't considered every car brand, and thanks to you guys I ended up in a very nice Mazda CX-5. So I figured I'd see if there's anything I'm missing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
6250 mi/yr
Rav 4 hybrid 41 city mpg, which gives 152 gal per year or
RAV 4 27 mpg, which gives 231 gal per year
Let's say charitably gas jumps back to $4.50
Rav 4 hybrid fuel cost per year is 684
Rav 4 fuel cost is 1039
So about $356 benefit per year

The hybrid tax is about $3k so you start making money around year 8. Not bad if you're going long but it wouldn't be a decider for me when the hybrids are still having trouble not flying off the lot which means you may be paying more in time or dealer markup than the above.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jedi425 posted:

So an old guy decided to T-bone my wife driving our nice, low miles 2020 Corolla in a parking lot by driving across the empty parking spaces at speed, and hosed up the front passenger side so bad it's totalled. I got good advice from you nerds before, so why not touch base again? I put maybe 25k miles on the old car in 4 years, so I'm not exactly a frequent driver.

Proposed Budget: Total around $35-40k at most? I'm getting about $15k after paying off the wrecked car's loan, so I have a solid down payment.
New or Used: Leaning new. This will be our sole vehicle, and as far as I know used prices are still hosed up.
Body Style: It's me, my wife, and one kiddo. Our previous car was a compact, and we're OK with another one, but it's getting a bit cramped, so we're thinking CUV/SUV.
How will you be using the car?: Errands, not a daily commute (I'm WFH), the occasional family/social event. A couple times a year we might drive inter-state.

1. Reliability. This will be our only vehicle for some time. We were getting close to paying off the old one, and then this happened. :(
3. Back seats/Cargo. The kiddo's getting tall fast, and it'd be nice to have room for him. For this reason, we're not thinking the Prius would be a good fit, though I'd take one if it was just me. It'd also be nice not to have to borrow another car any time I want to move anything bigger than a lunch pail.
4. Comfort. My wife has some rather nasty nerve/autoimmune issues that cause her a lot of pain, so a car she can drive/ride in comfortably would be great. We do plan to test drive.

We're leaning toward a RAV4 Hybrid or CR-V Hybrid. Another Corolla or a Prius would be too small for the times when all three of us would be in the car, especially since I'm a tall person, and my kiddo is tall for his age. It'd also be nice to not have to fall into my car any more because it's so low. The thread seems in favor of the two we're considering, but last time I checked in I hadn't considered every car brand, and thanks to you guys I ended up in a very nice Mazda CX-5. So I figured I'd see if there's anything I'm missing.

Id go sit in a Camry before you pull the trigger on a CUV.

Also look at Hondas, since theyre all massive now. Civics are the size of Buick Centurys so you might not even need to look into Accords.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

KillHour posted:

Fact: My first car was a '99 Pontiac Bonneville.

Fact: I did not die in that car.

Fact: I'm the main character of the entire universe.

Thus: Cars peaked in '99. Every car before then was a dangerous shitheap and every car after is a nanny-mobile for whiny babies.

Honda Civics absolutely peaked in 1999.
Source: I drive a Civic from 2002 (not as good) :

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 5, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Honda Civics absolutely peaked in 1999.

I dont disagree but the new one is excellent. Its just the size of an Accord.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I'm back on my bullshit re: leasing or financing a new base 2024 Tesla Model 3. I looked at the 2023 but I'm a tech nerd and I want the latest and greatest. I'm currently leaning toward doing a 36mo lease 12k miles w/ 0$ down which comes out to around $490/mo on the calculator on their site. I can easily afford the payment and I'd prefer to do the $0 down so that I have more liquid cash on hand. Financing at 6-7% just seems crazy to me since it will be at least $200-250 more which I could also probably afford but I'm worried about being over exposed on my monthly cashflow. I'm aware of the pitfalls of Tesla leasing namely no buyout option, and I've read that their lease returns can be onerous and expensive. Yes, I know I'm affectively paying to rent the car but I'm mostly ok with that since I was underwater on my last car and I don't necessarily want to take the depreciation hit on a finance and I'm cool with getting a new car in 3 years. I'm curious if anyone has experience with Tesla lease returns or any other tips / thoughts on leasing/financing Teslas.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

I don't have the height problem but the rav4 headliner seems low to me. I don't think the car is designed well for tall people, tbh. you might just reject based on that the second you sit in it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

If you're committed to a Tesla to the point where you can distinguish between a 23 and 24 a lease seems like the best choice. Your next of kin will appreciate not having to deal with the loan payoff process from the insurance payout.

Given their recent sales numbers and price cuts I wouldn't worry about the lack of a buy-out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

I probably wouldn't pay the hybrid premium to drive maybe 6k miles a year. Ethanol's math is good. If you're not going hybrid, the CX-5 is still excellent and its replacement the CX-50 is good, too.

I would focus on point 4. Mass market cars are generally reliable, and are generally fuel efficient. In your shoes, I would rather have a car that my wife could drive comfortably even if it meant cutting my fuel economy by 10-15%. If she's most comfortable driving a Ford Escape, it may not be the objectively best vehicle in class but that's what I'd buy!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I'm back on my bullshit re: leasing or financing a new base 2024 Tesla Model 3. I looked at the 2023 but I'm a tech nerd and I want the latest and greatest. I'm currently leaning toward doing a 36mo lease 12k miles w/ 0$ down which comes out to around $490/mo on the calculator on their site. I can easily afford the payment and I'd prefer to do the $0 down so that I have more liquid cash on hand. Financing at 6-7% just seems crazy to me since it will be at least $200-250 more which I could also probably afford but I'm worried about being over exposed on my monthly cashflow. I'm aware of the pitfalls of Tesla leasing namely no buyout option, and I've read that their lease returns can be onerous and expensive. Yes, I know I'm affectively paying to rent the car but I'm mostly ok with that since I was underwater on my last car and I don't necessarily want to take the depreciation hit on a finance and I'm cool with getting a new car in 3 years. I'm curious if anyone has experience with Tesla lease returns or any other tips / thoughts on leasing/financing Teslas.

Have you driven a model 3, and specifically the redesigned 2024 model? There are many polarizing opinions about them in the EV thread.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Nitrox posted:

Have you driven a model 3, and specifically the redesigned 2024 model? There are many polarizing opinions about them in the EV thread.

Yes, I am aware of that. I know about the missing stalks which I don't think would bother me, but yeah I fully intend to test drive. I rented a pre refresh Model 3 for a week some time ago and liked it so I'm not expecting much difference in my impression on the 2024 aside from stalks.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Hey thread, mechanic just let me know that the engine on my 2013 Prius (140k miles) is toast (I think a head gasket blown, but maybe some other things too). He said that repairing these engines doesnt typically go so well, and was strongly recommending putting in a new engine (an imported used engine from Japan, sounds the options have like 30-50k miles on them). He quoted me at 2800 for the engine and 1600 for the labor (prices include tax). Im trying to decide whether its worth it to put another $4400 into this car or instead use that money for a down payment on a new/used car.

I had hoped the prius would last another several years, and then I could go straight to electric, but we dont have anywhere to plug the car in and probably wont for a few years. Im leaning towards just paying to have this one repaired and then in a few years buying a new car, but would love to hear what the thread thinks. $4400 seems pretty close to what the car is worth

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

You could get a 2013 Prius with a blown engine for $4400, maybe. Buying the engine sounds like the least worst option under $5k assuming it isn't entirely rust or has a ton of deferred maintenance.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Id go sit in a Camry before you pull the trigger on a CUV.

Also look at Hondas, since theyre all massive now. Civics are the size of Buick Centurys so you might not even need to look into Accords.

Jesus hell, a Buick? OK, yeah, maybe worth a look.

Thanks again all for the opinions. Good to hear the Mazdas are still decent; I only got rid of the old CX-5 due to a divorce, and when it was just me and the kiddo there was no need for a CUV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Agree that replacing the engine on a known good car is probably an OK path at this point, but I'm very curious as to how it blew in the first place since that drivetrain is very, very solid. Any idea what happened?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Third-gen Priuses are more prone to blowing head gaskets than they should be. I think the actual rate is still low enough to not make it "unreliable" by any definition, but it certainly happens more often than it does in most other cars.

On the original question, if the rest of the car is good, I'd throw a known-good engine in it and be done with it. It looks like there might be an updated head gasket that resolves the issue and if so I'd strongly consider doing that as a proactive replacement on the new engine before it goes in.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Agree that replacing the engine on a known good car is probably an OK path at this point, but I'm very curious as to how it blew in the first place since that drivetrain is very, very solid. Any idea what happened?

Im not positive (mechanic isnt a native English speaker, and Im relatively ignorant on cars), but he thinks something happened to the head gasket that overpressurized the coolant system and basically flushed all of the coolant out (might be getting some of those details wrong), which lead to it overheating and further damage. Part of it was when the temp gauge came on we were on a narrow winding mountain road and couldnt pull over to check it, which probably exacerbated it. And then when we did stop and put coolant in, it basically all drained (or was forced?) out soon after we started driving. Possibly could have avoided the worst of it if I had just gotten it towed as soon as the temp gauge came on (also since theres no temperature gauge on the Prius, when the light first came on it was going on and off and I optimistically thought it might just be a sensor issue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not an uncommon thing on the 3rd gen. The EGR system clogs and things go south from there leading to a blown head gasket and eventually an overheat situation or worst case a busted rod and/or piston. There are some things you can do with cleaning out the EGR but I haven't seen conclusive proof that it stops the issue. It's one of the things that kept me away from 3rd gens when I was looking to replace my 2nd gen as my commuter.