Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Interesting input on the 3rd gen Prius, did not know that was a common-ish issue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Prius engines usually last a while, so there is not much demand for them. I'm seeing many priced under $1500. It's best to shop around.

https://www.jdmenginedepotinc.com/p...hBoCcfkQAvD_BwE

https://www.jdmwestcoast.com/products/jdm-2zr-fxe-2010-15-toyota-prius-engine-1-8l-2zr-2zrfxe-hybrid

Edit: they are also small and light, two guys can put one in a hatchback, with a bit of effort. Just watch out for fluids leaking out. No need to pay $500 freight if you can help it. Most warehouses will load it for you with a forklift, and your mechanic can help you unload it. Even worth renting a U-Haul Van or pickup truck for this endeavor.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 5, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey thread, looking to get my wife a new ride. Vehicle, that is

Currently she has a 2016 Kia Sorento, and prefers the crossover due to the seating height etc.

Proposed Budget: Up to $75k CAD
New or Used: new, although certified pre owned with low mileage would be an option
Body Style: SUV/Crossover with 3 rows
How will you be using the car?: Ferrying (3) kids around and/or ferrying 2 medium sized dogs around, commuting
What aspects are most important to you?
1) Practicality - loading up the kids/dogs
2) Reliability - don’t want to have to do a lot of trips to the service centre
3) Useful gizmos - around view cam, power liftgate, remote start

This is in Canada (BC)

Ones I have short listed so far:
- Acura MDX (Platinum trim) - A couple relatives have MDXs and rave about them. The one thing here is there is a refresh coming in the fall so I was hesitant about buying the “old” model. Plus the stupid infotainment touchpad is something I feel she would complain about endlessly
- Hyundai Santa Fe (new one) - Boxy contender, all new design, looks like some good tech. Downside is her previous car was a Santa Fe Sport and she “wants something different from hyundai”
- Hyundai Pallisade/Kia Telluride - basically the same as above, a little hesitant to get yet another kia/hyundai. Tellurides seem to be all but unavailable around here due to demand.
- Kia EV9 - wild card, potentially getting into a full EV. We have a L2 charger at home for my car (PHEV) and so could keep it charged. Seems expensive for a Kia though at the trim we’d want.
- Mazda CX-90 - New design so a bit hesitant, 3rd row seems extremely small compared to other options even for kids.

I would have liked to look at a minivan but she refuses to get a minivan, so welp.

Anyway interested if there are any good suggestions - Ford Explorer? Some GM thing? I have no experience with domestics.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, absolutely.

New platforms have contained progressively more advanced steel alloys, which ensure that the passenger compartment does not deform.
Side airbags, side curtain airbags, and knee airbags are generally standard.
Traction and stability control are standard.
All of the various active safety features make cars safer - automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, active cruise control, etc. These are increasingly standard on most cars.

edit: all else equal (driving style, conditions, etc) you are less likely to get in an accident in a 2024 CR-V than you are in a 2013 CR-V, and if you do get in an accident your injuries are likely to be less severe.

I think this thread said before that one of the biggest jumps in safety was around the 2019 mark. Is that generally correct?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

priznat posted:

Hey thread, looking to get my wife a new ride. Vehicle, that is

Currently she has a 2016 Kia Sorento, and prefers the crossover due to the seating height etc.

Proposed Budget: Up to $75k CAD
New or Used: new, although certified pre owned with low mileage would be an option
Body Style: SUV/Crossover with 3 rows
How will you be using the car?: Ferrying (3) kids around and/or ferrying 2 medium sized dogs around, commuting
What aspects are most important to you?
1) Practicality - loading up the kids/dogs
2) Reliability - don’t want to have to do a lot of trips to the service centre
3) Useful gizmos - around view cam, power liftgate, remote start

This is in Canada (BC)

Ones I have short listed so far:
- Acura MDX (Platinum trim) - A couple relatives have MDXs and rave about them. The one thing here is there is a refresh coming in the fall so I was hesitant about buying the “old” model. Plus the stupid infotainment touchpad is something I feel she would complain about endlessly
- Hyundai Santa Fe (new one) - Boxy contender, all new design, looks like some good tech. Downside is her previous car was a Santa Fe Sport and she “wants something different from hyundai”
- Hyundai Pallisade/Kia Telluride - basically the same as above, a little hesitant to get yet another kia/hyundai. Tellurides seem to be all but unavailable around here due to demand.
- Kia EV9 - wild card, potentially getting into a full EV. We have a L2 charger at home for my car (PHEV) and so could keep it charged. Seems expensive for a Kia though at the trim we’d want.
- Mazda CX-90 - New design so a bit hesitant, 3rd row seems extremely small compared to other options even for kids.

I would have liked to look at a minivan but she refuses to get a minivan, so welp.

Anyway interested if there are any good suggestions - Ford Explorer? Some GM thing? I have no experience with domestics.

Man you have really need a minivan.

I think suburbans and expeditions are in your wheelhouse. There’s not a lot of CUVs that have decent third row seating. I guess Armadas and Palisades and whatever else exist, but I rarely see Japanese makes recommended for full size SUVs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think this thread said before that one of the biggest jumps in safety was around the 2019 mark. Is that generally correct?

I don't know for sure, but if it was it was probably due to a lots of new fangled safety stuff becoming mandatory on everything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Man you have really need a minivan.

I think suburbans and expeditions are in your wheelhouse. There’s not a lot of CUVs that have decent third row seating. I guess Armadas and Palisades and whatever else exist, but I rarely see Japanese makes recommended for full size SUVs.

Yeah, it usually works out that we just need the 3rd row fairly infrequently but it is useful when it is there. Normally the 3rd row is down for dog carriers in the back. The full size ones are probably a bit too large for our needs.

Believe me I tried selling the minivan idea :sigh: Would probably go for the Carnival, they have a new hybrid coming out. But my wife is extremely stubborn.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

priznat posted:

Yeah, it usually works out that we just need the 3rd row fairly infrequently but it is useful when it is there. Normally the 3rd row is down for dog carriers in the back. The full size ones are probably a bit too large for our needs.

Believe me I tried selling the minivan idea :sigh: Would probably go for the Carnival, they have a new hybrid coming out. But my wife is extremely stubborn.

Will the kids be able to sit in the front? If not (due to age/height) you might be stuck with three rows for basic safety reasons.

You already know about Japanese SUVs so I’ll just drop info on the domestics:
- Ford Explorer: available as a hybrid, tends to fall short in interior quality (used plastics instead of metals, that sort of thing) and some features for the same price. Upside is they’re more reliable than Korean brands and relatively cheap to maintain
- Chevy Tahoe: not as big as a suburban, but on the smaller side of large. If you went with a larger/midsized three row domestic, this would be the one I’d steer you toward.
- Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave: it’s a van without the sliding door functionality. Don’t tell your wife. It’s got a ton of space.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee L/Dodge Durango: it’s got a big dumb V8 and higher clearance should you ever be taking it off road (you won’t). The engine is reliable since Stellantis just crams they V8 in everything and they have for a fuckin decade. Folks seem to like these and they’re pretty highly rated.

From what you said I’d probably steer toward a Highlander or Grand Highlander, depending on how you feel about the interior space of each.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Divorce your wife and pick up a new one in your new minivan

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I had a '17 or '18 Traverse, can't remember which year it was, and it was a great kid hauler.

It was like driving a slice of wonder bread which is why we got rid of it, but if you want simple reliable, affordable, and nice gizmos. Can't go wrong.

I think they did a major change to the platform this year or last year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

priznat posted:

You're really trying to find a small moving target here of "3rd row" but "not too big".

GV80s have them, but only on the higher trim, and unless you're going several years old that would be out of budget.

Have you written off the VW Atlas? They have an insanely wide band of trim levels and prices.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yeah a VW Atlas is on the short list too, forgot about that one.

Really the 3rd row is just to be usable in a pinch. The Sorento size is fine for us and the 3rd row is good to jam a kid and extra kid friend in the back if we're taking them all out someplace. We're not road tripping with it or anything. 80% of the time the 3rd row is down and there are dog carriers back there for taking them to the park. The oldest kid can ride in the front so that helps and thankfully only the youngest still needs a booster.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Shipon posted:

"but they're safer!"

has safety meaningfully made any improvements since, like, the early 2000s? seems like all its done now is made them even more deadly to pedestrians due to higher weight

All the advance safety tech like lane change warnings, blind spot, collision warning is super, super, useful.

DildenAnders posted:

Honda Civics absolutely peaked in 1999.
Source: I drive a Civic from 2002 (not as good) :

The newer model Civics and Accords are really, really good. They are not luxury cars or a sports car but as a affordable vehicle they're more than good enough as daily commuter without feeling cheap. It's seriously impressive engineering and all the tech works really well together and it's even on the lower trims too. Growing up in a honda CB7 it's wild to see how much better cars have gotten.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

priznat posted:

We just got back from a family trip we rented a Pacifica on, it's an incredible amount of vehicle. Tons of space, easy access, stow and go seats, electric everything. Surprisingly good ride and pretty quiet. Had no issues hearing everyone in the cabin.

You should rent one for a weekend to show her how awesome van life is. If I didn't have a paid for car made in the last decade I'd be running to the dealership for an upgrade

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They have minivans with worse emissions and accessibility, lifted higher off the ground and regular doors instead of sliders. Tahoe, Yukon, Excursion, Armada, I'm looking at you. Something about the word minivan that evokes instant disgust in some people. So they pay more money for a shittier vehicle and just suffer.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Agree that replacing the engine on a known good car is probably an OK path at this point, but I'm very curious as to how it blew in the first place since that drivetrain is very, very solid. Any idea what happened?

Our sole 2015 Prius V in the fleet finally toasted its head gasket at 275K of mostly highway miles - when it started to go, I did some poking around and 3rd-gen Prius’s are kinda known for it. The head tech and I pulled the intake and cleaned out the EGR passages at about 190K, but they were pretty clear already, and we serviced it like clockwork every 5K.

Just a thing that happens with those, of course 275K is nothing to sneeze at. I will say that the previous vehicle that was used in this capacity was a 2015 Taurus 3.7L that went 350K, and the one before that was an ‘06 Impala 3.5L that went 390K miles. We were taking bets that the trans would go 400K before dying but it didn’t quite.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

:eyepop:

Those are some pretty decent non-diesel numbers!

I’ve started to track my E36 BMW late in its life at 290k and I’m wondering how long it will go before the HG throws in the towel.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I went to look at a 2022 vehicle today, it was listed as used with 1,300 miles. Turns out it was never titled, just brought from another dealership location that closed down. So technically a brand new vehicle, used as a parts runner or loaner or whatever.

How exactly does this work?
I understand that manufacturer incentives are limited to a specific year, so none would apply.

But I get a better interest rate from my credit union for buying new versus used. Should I expect them to complain because it's a 2022?

Does it qualify for federal EV rebate? It's fully electric by the way, and definitely did qualify back in 2022.

Should I expect any other issues or problems because of this disparity?

Thanks in advance

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Nitrox posted:

I went to look at a 2022 vehicle today, it was listed as used with 1,300 miles. Turns out it was never titled, just brought from another dealership location that closed down. So technically a brand new vehicle, used as a parts runner or loaner or whatever.

How exactly does this work?
I understand that manufacturer incentives are limited to a specific year, so none would apply.

But I get a better interest rate from my credit union for buying new versus used. Should I expect them to complain because it's a 2022?

Does it qualify for federal EV rebate? It's fully electric by the way, and definitely did qualify back in 2022.

Should I expect any other issues or problems because of this disparity?

Thanks in advance

EV rebates got more complicated eligibility rules but can now be applied as a point of sale discount in 2024. So it depends on the model if it is eligible. The dealer should be able tell you if it qualifies. New cars generally get better financing rates. Some of the EV specific incentives are still valid even on previous model years.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
How long do you generally want to wait after a redesign to go in on a car? I really like the look of the new Lexus GX 550 but I don’t want to be an early adopter, nor am I willing to pay over sticker for it. I’m thinking 2-3 years they should have everything sorted? Maybe grab a used after they figure things out? I know sone car manufacturers have no trouble introducing redesigned vehicles but lately they all seem to have some problems.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nodelphi posted:

How long do you generally want to wait after a redesign to go in on a car? I really like the look of the new Lexus GX 550 but I don’t want to be an early adopter, nor am I willing to pay over sticker for it. I’m thinking 2-3 years they should have everything sorted? Maybe grab a used after they figure things out? I know sone car manufacturers have no trouble introducing redesigned vehicles but lately they all seem to have some problems.

Year 2 usually, but I dunno. We bought the first MY Accord of its generation (2018) and it has had not even the first hint of a problem.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
My dad’s a GM retiree and he always said 3 years after a new model / refresh was the sweet spot. That was from back in the 80s / 90s so things might have changed since then.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

My dad’s a GM retiree and he always said 3 years after a new model / refresh was the sweet spot. That was from back in the 80s / 90s so things might have changed since then.

Yeah that is not that relevant anymore. GM of that era would do a production run of 1m widgets per year and if they were out of spec it might be a year or two before they noticed, fixed, supplier notified and got the updated widget out into the supply chain.

Toyota's whole thing is continuous quality improvement and just-in-time supply chains. If they notice a problem they fix it. Additionally the Lexus is based off the TNGA-F platform which they've been building since 2021.

Tldr: probably fine. Check the forums?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anecdotally, my '09 Corolla was an early production 10th gen Corolla. From reading several years ago it was at the time considered to be one of the "least reliable generation" of Corolla in quite a while, but its still been pretty bullet proof for me.
Almost 16 years I've had it and have probably spent less than 4000 on fixing problems that weren't wear items like tires, brakes etc...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In my car shopping for the wife I have kind of been interested in the new Hyundai Santa Fe which has a cheater 3rd row.

But then I watched a video by the car confections guys going over how the transmission failed on theirs within the first 50 miles so now I don’t know about that one. Fancy DCT I guess.

A lot of the decision will be based on what is actually available on lots without a 6mo+ wait (which apparently all minivans are at least that much of a wait except possibly the Kia carnival). Can’t even test drive stuff which takes the fun out of car shopping!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

priznat posted:

In my car shopping for the wife I have kind of been interested in the new Hyundai Santa Fe which has a cheater 3rd row.

But then I watched a video by the car confections guys going over how the transmission failed on theirs within the first 50 miles so now I don’t know about that one. Fancy DCT I guess.

A lot of the decision will be based on what is actually available on lots without a 6mo+ wait (which apparently all minivans are at least that much of a wait except possibly the Kia carnival). Can’t even test drive stuff which takes the fun out of car shopping!

Every time I'm at the Kia dealer for service, I ask if there's a Carnival I can look at, but I don't think there's ever been one actually in stock at any of the 3 Kia dealers nearby me at any point in history. We're sniffing around the minivan market but it's still really hard to find any at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Every time I'm at the Kia dealer for service, I ask if there's a Carnival I can look at, but I don't think there's ever been one actually in stock at any of the 3 Kia dealers nearby me at any point in history. We're sniffing around the minivan market but it's still really hard to find any at all.

Yeah I was just in at the Kia dealer yesterday getting an oil change on my sorento and they did have a carnival in the show room and I asked what availability is like and the sales guy gave me the “ehhh” look.

I think no manufacturer makes a lot of minivans anymore with more production going to crossovers, despite a fairly healthy demand for minivans!

The funny thing is going to a Toyota lot these days and seeing 50+ bz4x pieces of poo poo just sitting there because no one wants that garbage. Not a slam against EVs, EVs sell fine just god those particular models are awful.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The Busyfork would be an acceptable car if priced at 30k, not 45 or whatever it is exactly.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

RAV4 appears to be a delightful vehicle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sure, if you think your refrigerator is delightful

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love my refrigerator

That’s where the food lives

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I like my rav4 and my fridge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most boring car in human history

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

Other than the thread favorite suggestion.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At least the Prius looks like something. I can’t even see a rav4 . My eyes don’t register it as something important

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Those new Prius look pretty snazzy, they did a pretty good job with that design!

That new Santa Fe is pretty polarizing, I like the boxy look but my wife and son hate it. So guess not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

Those new Prius look pretty snazzy, they did a pretty good job with that design!

That new Santa Fe is pretty polarizing, I like the boxy look but my wife and son hate it. So guess not.

The 5th gen does indeed look very good. The 4th gen rear/tail lights are aggressively ugly and terrible and they've lost 100% of that design language. Thankfully.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Motronic posted:

The 5th gen does indeed look very good. The 4th gen rear/tail lights are aggressively ugly and terrible and they've lost 100% of that design language. Thankfully.

Yeah it was such a massive change I didn’t recognize it as a Prius until I saw the text on the back. I quite like the look of them now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sure, if you think your refrigerator is delightful

https://youtu.be/DpoHJWk4Bm4?si=Hw49cZtSMAuuuQpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

euphronius posted:

Its my dads favorite car since buying a brand new challenger straight out of Vietnam back in 1970. :3: