Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I somehow bumbled into a brand new Mazda 3 in the Hertz loyalty lot and I think I need to start harassing the dealer about coupons on the top trim.

I still really want an electric car so I don't have to go to the gas station but I am increasingly having trouble justifying that for $10k besides the models I'm most interested in having occasional warranty gremlins still.

Meanwhile still the best interior trim and infotainment on any car I've been in for under $40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cage posted:

Its my dads favorite car since buying a brand new challenger straight out of Vietnam back in 1970. :3:

I think it looks good op. from the front and sides anyways. the back still looks kinda bad ngl. I have the one with the most recent facelift though. but you don't buy a rav4 without being cognizant nobody will ever care about your rav4. actually in some ways its plus. the tacoma made weird impressions on people, the rav4 is like urban camouflage by comparison. if you want a car where your boss can literally never tell if your cars in the lot boy do I have a cuv for you

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Im considering trading in my 2011 Civic LX sedan for a 2021+ Civic in hatchback, higher trim than LX. Tempted to splurge on a 2024 Sport Touring hatchback, and I can make that happen, but Im also considering earlier years in used/pre-owned/whatever. If I do buy used with a nicer trim (EX-L or ST I think), what do I need to look out for? What years were good, and what problems did the model have? Ive only ever bought new, never used, so I have no experience there.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Im considering trading in my 2011 Civic LX sedan for a 2021+ Civic in hatchback, higher trim than LX. Tempted to splurge on a 2024 Sport Touring hatchback, and I can make that happen, but Im also considering earlier years in used/pre-owned/whatever. If I do buy used with a nicer trim (EX-L or ST I think), what do I need to look out for? What years were good, and what problems did the model have? Ive only ever bought new, never used, so I have no experience there.

10th Gen Civics are known to have issues with the A/C compressor. Not sure which years but it may be covered under an extended warranty for it. Earlier 10th gen Civics did not come with a volume knob for the radio. I'm not sure what year they added it but they eventually added a volume knob.

Edit:

There's a recall on 2018-2020 Civics for fuel pumps. Parts should be available later in the year for this. I believe the turbo models are known for oil dilution issues if you drive the car frequently for short trips, 5-10 minutes.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 16, 2024

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Is there a preferred online service for advertising/selling a car privately but will handle all the headaches like the title and dmv stuff? Ive tried all the usual suspects car* but thinking I might get a little more selling online.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Is there a preferred online service for advertising/selling a car privately but will handle all the headaches like the title and dmv stuff? Ive tried all the usual suspects car* but thinking I might get a little more selling online.

You cant get top dollar and not do any legwork (now that the VCs stopped shoveling money in to the used car ecosystem). You have to pick between doing more work to get more money or convenience at a cost.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Have you looked at Autotrader Private Seller Exchange?

I sold a car through them fairly recently and it was fairly painless.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
Hello Thread goers!

This morning someone decided the back of my vehicle was the proper way to go from ~30mph to 0 at a red light so im in the market for a new/lightly used car.

Proposed Budget: Looking to land close to what i am paying monthly for my current vehicle so around ~$265 a month, i have ~10k to put down.
New or Used: New is always nice but 30k miles and under used is also doable
Body Style: Sedans or other car lookin cars. I dont like SUVs or Big vehicles
How will you be using the car?: 40 mile daily commute to and from work Mostly highway, occasionally stop and go due to traffic.. occasional trips around NJ
What aspects are most important to you?
1) fuel efficiency- I'd love to have a Hybrid. wish i could go full EV but im in an apartment that does not have chargers
2) Feature rich-i like having wireless android auto, Remote start is nice for the icy days and sweaty days.
3) safety and comfort features-adaptive cruise control makes my longer trips wonderful, Lane assist is a nice to have. rearview camera is a must as im terrible with backing up, but all around camera for parking and such would be cool to have.

Dont know how insurance is all going to pan out, but the cops issued a careless to the person who hit me and my insurance agent gave me a gentle nudge not to put a claim in with my insurance without trying to hit the other drivers insurance first.

KBB on my totaled car runs around ~15000 and about 11k is going to clear away the rest of the auto loan i have from that one. but burning some cash on a down payment to get either a nicer car or a lower payment is worthwhile to me.

i've eyed around at a couple of hybrids, Toyota Prius and Ford Fusion were offered as suggestions. but wanted to get some more thoughts from anyone that could give other makes/models for me to go out and test drive

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

congrats on your new prius

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If your commute is mostly highway, I would recommend a long base sedan like Camry or Fusion. They're a bit more comfortable than the Prius.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Now hear me out; if we ignore the fuel efficiency requirements you can get a 3.0 twin turbo v6 with AWD and 400 hp / 400 ftlb. Add in adaptive cruise and a luxury car interior, plus a proven platform with tons of parts.

My friend in talking about the 2017-2020 Lincoln MKZ. You can find em in your target mileage for roughly $20-25k, which puts em into your price range as well. (I think, I didnt do the math with todays rates, but I know that $20k flat is about $400 a month).

If the worlds fastest grampa car doesnt interest you, they also have a hybrid version. Again, Fusion platform, but much much nicer fit and finish.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What? Why would you get a Lincoln when you can get one of these Alfas or one of these caddys or one of these acuras or one of these jaaags or one of these volvi?

Honestly though you should just get one of these lexusi. Theyll be better than anything else.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 20, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mustache Ride posted:

What? Why would you get a Lincoln when you can get one of these or one of these or one of these or one of these or one of these?

Honestly though you should just get one of these. Theyll be better than anything else.

Because 400 hp. None of them have it. The Lincoln does.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yes but Lincoln is a piece of poo poo. Lexus/Acura/Cadillac are legit good suggestions.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Your best bet is talk a credit union to find out what you can afford, and then to look at some of the cpo inventories and snag a deal on a cheaper luxury sedan.

CPO Sites:
Lexus
Caddy
Acura
Jaaaag
Volvo
Bucktooth Beemers
Lincoln if youre into that kind of thing

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 20, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys have weird feelings about a quieter ford fusion, but ok.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought it was weirder that someone said try an alfa or a jag.

Jesus. Not a single mention of a used 7 series

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Alfa are good fun cars!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

I thought it was weirder that someone said try an alfa or a jag.

Jesus. Not a single mention of a used 7 series

gently caress the bucktooth beemers, get an e36

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

gently caress the bucktooth beemers, get an e36

E: Wrong thread

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 21, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had a post facelift e46 wagon (rwd 5spd) and the engine was bulletproof on that thing. Loved that car. Red with tan interior.

The goddamn xenon headlights were a huge pain in the rear end though and replacing the ballast cost a buttload.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

davecrazy posted:

Alfa are good fun cars!

For certain definitions of good and certain definitions of fun, sure

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nitrox posted:

Yes but Lincoln is a piece of poo poo...Cadillac are legit good suggestions.

Cite your sources.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Cite your sources.

There are several tools online that calculate cost of ownership, Edmunds, Carparts and even KBB has an option.

It's the least economical Lincoln to own and maintain, considering above average expense and availability of parts, above average frequency of maintenance and whatever snowflake problems they have, specific to that drivetrain.

The four-cylinder hybrid is a better car in every way, unless you need to specifically brag about the number of turbos and horsepowers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Repairpal lists an average annual cost for the 2017 model of $1017, broken down into items like door mirror replacement for $1079-1093 and brake pad replacement $220-261. It appears about half the list is items associated with accidents. No other years have enough data to generate an estimate.

In general, repairpal estimates that you pay $92/year more for repairs and maintenance than with the average luxury vehicle, with a dead accurate unscheduled repair frequency. It is 3% higher than average to have a Severe issue.

Edmunds assumes youre gonna need $800 a year in repairs. For what? Theres no breakdown of costs. Maintenance varies wildly per year with estimates of $2538 in year four vs $321 in year three. No idea where those numbers come from, since theyre not listed. Edmunds doesnt even offer the 3.0 engine as an option, so none of this applies anyway.

CarEdge estimates annual costs of $450 averaged across five years. None of this is differentiated by the different powertrains.

The data is all over the map, but none of this drivetrain is unique. The engine is in half the Ford Explorers on the road. The transmission is a GM-Ford shared platform, so youre as likely to have it in your Cadillac as any ford out there.

Basically: grain of salt on it being uniquely expensive.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
Hello!

Proposed Budget: 40-70k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Wife wants a mid-sized SUV
How will you be using the car?: Toting our kids around town. Maybe a ~200 mile road trip here and there.

1) Electric or PHEV would be nice. Preferably electric
2) Roomy and easy to clean backseat. We've got 2 young kids in car seats. They make a mess. It would be nice if it were easy to clean up.
3) Would love some sort of hands free driving, or solid lane assist/adaptive cruise control
4) Quiet. We had a Subaru for a long time and that thing was so loud it was hard to have a conversation
5) Not a Tesla

I'd really love to go electric at this point. My wife wants something roomy and quiet. Leather or reasonably good faux-leather would be nice because children love to spill things in the car.

There are a handful of used Volvo XC40s and VW Id.4s nearby. I am somewhat weary about getting a used electric unless it's got low mileage.

Anything else I should know or consider?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That Audi Q5 electric version (no idea about the actual name) is probably worth cross shopping if youre already looking at Volvos.

E: ooh, is it the eTron?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I can never figure out the Audi model numbering anymore

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Grand Cherokee 4xe

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Proposed Budget: 6,000 - 7,000 (should be doable in this area.)
New or Used: used
Body Style: Compact or small pickup.
How will you be using the car? Driving to work. If a pickup, the drive to work and occasional projects.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Good radio, heat, cool and I'm good.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, gas mileage.

I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla that has seen better days. I paid 2,000 for it a decade and a half ago and it's been solid. The mechanics are fine, the outside is a mess. It was hit before I bought and the paid on the repair job is chipping away. I bought a bra to hide some of the damage before finding out that the bra itself damages the paint. It has 283,000 miles on it. Besides the outside paint the headliner is gone, the seat belts have issues and the car sits lower than it should. It still runs and accelerates without hesitation. Just, no one else in my family wants to ride in it.

I think it's time.

I'm in the early stages of looking for a car. I thought I'd look at local dealers first, to compare prices and see about trade in options.

I saw a 2009 Scion tC Here : https://www.redautosale.com that looked interesting but I want to look around before jumping at the first thing I see. A small pickup would be nice but finding one with a set of back seats and a truck bed that's more than a decoration is going to be pricey. At least with the Scion I could see my kid having fun scrambling into the back.

Can you think of any step I've missed?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Proposed Budget: Total around $35-45k at most?
New or Used: Leaning new. We plan to have this car for 10+ years
Body Style: It's me, my husband, a 5 month olds (car seat) and a 19 year old kiddo. Our current car is a compact Ford fiesta, and we have our knees touching the wheel with the car seat in the middle, so we're thinking CUV/SUV.
How will you be using the car?: bi weekly commute (I'm WFH), the occasional family/social event. Would really love a car that can go family car camping, though a Thule on top is an option. A couple times a year we might drive inter-state. I don't think this is the car we go electric for, but maybe phev?

1. Reliability.
2. Fuel Economy is a nice to have.
3. Back seats/Cargo. Three adults and a baby is a lot of potential stuff for longer trips
4. Sound. I'd really love to have a quieter highway drive than the Ford fiesta or Mazda 3.
5. Android Auto car play is a nice to have

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Darth Brooks posted:

How will you be using the car? Driving to work. If a pickup, the drive to work and occasional projects.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Good radio, heat, cool and I'm good.

I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla that has seen better days. I paid 2,000 for it a decade and a half ago and it's been solid. The mechanics are fine, the outside is a mess. It was hit before I bought and the paid on the repair job is chipping away. I bought a bra to hide some of the damage before finding out that the bra itself damages the paint. It has 283,000 miles on it. Besides the outside paint the headliner is gone, the seat belts have issues and the car sits lower than it should. It still runs and accelerates without hesitation. Just, no one else in my family wants to ride in it.

I think it's time.

I'm in the early stages of looking for a car. I thought I'd look at local dealers first, to compare prices and see about trade in options.

I saw a 2009 Scion tC Here : https://www.redautosale.com that looked interesting but I want to look around before jumping at the first thing I see. A small pickup would be nice but finding one with a set of back seats and a truck bed that's more than a decoration is going to be pricey. At least with the Scion I could see my kid having fun scrambling into the back.

I will say this thread is not generally as helpful for the bottom of the market, but if you want to make your $7k go further, private party (craigslist, facebook, or "knowing a guy") will often serve you a lot better than a dealership selling these cars for super cheap with low margins. Those places care far more about paint/ bodywork than they do a functional car, and what little money they offer you as a trade-in they will get back in charging you more for the car. If you have the time/ability, I recommend checking your local craigslist/facebook marketplace twice a day and sending out feelers to people you know to find something decent. Be patient, maybe 1/20 cars is a decent deal, and they get snatched up quick but if you're decisive you can find some awesome deals. You have a perfectly running car, don't jump into the first thing you see, if anything seems off, it probably is and you should walk away. Check the VIN on Carfax to see the history. Do not tolerate any title shenanigans, and beware of flippers (they will always give a story how they bought it for their wife/son and she doesn't like it, they're lying).
At this price range, specific car history (how well people took care of it) is generally more important than general make/model, but generally look for (unmodified) Civics, Corollas, Fiestas, Fits, etc if all you truly care about is efficiency and reliability. You might be able to score an old Ranger or S10 but the nice ones are unfortunately out of that price range these days, and I can't think of any other pickup that would even come close to making sense. Fewer owners, consistent service records and a clean pre purchase inspection matter far more than model or miles. Make sure you have/find a trustworthy mechanic who can give a thorough PPI, if you are looking at an automatic make absolute sure you check the transmission fluid, and remember that putting up with less-than stellar paint/body work can
get you a lot more car/dollar.

TL,DR: Make is not as important, history is much more so. Don't feel pressured, time is on your side. Good stuff gets snatched up and flipped so check around early and often. Always always always get them inspected beforehand and do NOT buy a Chrysler product or anything with known transmission issues (Google is your friend). Dealers kind of suck and if you have the time/support you could likely make 2-3x what the dealer would give you for your current car.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's great advice.

There is always a floor, where you can sell a running driving car for a set amount no matter how bad it looks. Because there is always someone who needs to get to work tomorrow. Would really depend on your immediate area, but in my neck of the woods it's $2,000. That's what your Corolla is worth, maybe more.

The longer you keep scanning the marketplace/craigslist /next door, the better your understanding of a local used car market will be. The good deals we'll get snatched up fast, you just need to learn how to recognize it and act accordingly next time. Time is your friend.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I wasn't expecting a lot more than 2,000 it's what blue book says. I'm going to be patient. It's the first time in a while that I've had dash to do something like this and I'm not forced by circumstance to make a quick decision. I have a good friend whose a mechanic and I'm going to have him look over a car before I buy it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mariooncrack posted:

10th Gen Civics are known to have issues with the A/C compressor. Not sure which years but it may be covered under an extended warranty for it. Earlier 10th gen Civics did not come with a volume knob for the radio. I'm not sure what year they added it but they eventually added a volume knob.

Edit:

There's a recall on 2018-2020 Civics for fuel pumps. Parts should be available later in the year for this. I believe the turbo models are known for oil dilution issues if you drive the car frequently for short trips, 5-10 minutes.

Thanks! TBQH, Im going to get an 11th-gen if I do buy a used Civic. Anything I need to look out for on those?

Im also considering used Mazda 3s in hatchback, though Im still leaning towards the Civic. Any tips on those?

Also, embarrassingly basic question: how do people find used vehicles? Use an online listing service, or just drop by a dealership? For the former, any good ones to use?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 23, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If there's a recall, that means cars are getting fixed by the manufacturer. Don't let that stop you from buying one

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

I think it's time.

Adding onto what DildenAnders said - private party is absolutely the only place you should be looking in this price bracket.

With that said, while the used car market is still sorta hosed, $6-7k is enough that you can care some about make/model. A $6000 Prius, even if it was badly abused, will still be more reliable than a $6000 Jeep, even if that Jeep is a one-owner vehicle with dealer service records back to new.

Also, given your requirements of "fuel economy" and "a non-vestigial back seat", trucks are off limits to you. The old Rangers and S10s don't have real back seats. An Explorer Sport Trac will have a back seat, but the fuel mileage sucks, I think a surprising number of parts are Sport Trac specific instead of being shared with either the Ranger or Explorer, and UHaul will never rent you a trailer. A first-gen Colorado will have vaguely better mileage and UHaul will rent to you, at least.

But unless you are making some critical life change at the same time that you buy this vehicle, you've gotten by without a truck for a long time. The things you'd give up to get a truck now will cost a lot more than renting a pickup from UHaul or Home Depot when needed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

"IOwnCalculus" posted:

a surprising number of parts are Sport Trac specific instead of being shared with either the Ranger or Explorer, and UHaul will never rent you a trailer. A first-gen Colorado will have vaguely better mileage and UHaul will rent to you,
What's the story here?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

What's the story here?

It's never-ending fallout from the Explorer/Firestone tire debacle. When that first popped ( :haw: ) off, UHaul decided that Explorers were too dangerous to rent to because of all the rollovers. For a very long time they didn't update it at all, so despite it originally being the result of problems on the '91-'94 and '95-'01 models, it was a blanket ban on everything Ford called an Explorer (and thus, the Explorer Sport Trac). It still applies today to the '02-'05 and '06-'10 models as well. If you try and schedule a rental with any '91-'10 Explorer, it gets flagged as "vehicle requirements not met".

Sometime "recently" they updated their ban to allow the '11-and-up models to rent trailers, since they share nothing but a name with the Explorers of old.

Also very notable is the fact that the ban is explicitly on Ford Explorers. The mechanically identical Mazda Navajo, Lincoln Aviator, and Mercury Mountaineer are all in the clear. Yes, this is incredibly stupid. But "I want to tow UHaul trailers when I need to haul big/dirty things" was on my shopping list when I wanted to replace my '98 Ranger, which bumped me from replacing it with an Explorer or Sport Trac, to a Grand Cherokee.

A nearly-as-stupid restriction UHaul also has is that they will only rent a trailer to a Wrangler (and I assume a Gladiator as well) if the hard top is installed and in place. Panels removed, or you only have a soft top? No luck. I care far less about this one because the only way I'm towing anything with my TJ's tiny wheelbase is under extreme duress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks for the advice. I'll start checking out FB marketplace and Craigslist.

Part of the reason I thought about a pickup is that I had an 84 Nissan a long time ago. While I have good memories of it, I also realize my life has changed since then.