Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Buy the Italian car. Do it! Whats the worst that happens?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

davecrazy posted:

But the Italian car. Do it! Whats the worst that happens?

He spends another 20K trying to keep the 20K Maserati running and eventually gets so tired of it he pays a scrap yard to pick it up for him.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I did own a '78 MG for a while, so the universal discouragement brought back memories of that period in my life.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I did own a '78 MG for a while, so the universal discouragement brought back memories of that period in my life.

Everyone already knows that's an unreliable but fun piece of....british engineering. It can be repaired with duct tape and bailing wire.

A 2016 Maserati is full of wiring and modules that require more in software licensing and interfaces than they are now worth, and that's before you even get into parts costs and how often you will need them......and if you can even get them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lucid Nonsense posted:

So I've seen Maserati's on FB that are 6-8 years old going for less than $20k. Is that a scam, or does the value drop that much that quickly? I mean, I would not mind getting a 6 figure car for low 5 figures, would I just be flushing that money down the toilet?

My brother in Christ have you met our Lord and Savior the BMW 7 series. Depending on year and options (ours will self park, which is a neat party trick) that's like a $70-115k car new, but can be bought with factory warranty and 35k mi 3 years old, off lease for like $40k +/-

We bought ours in Jan 2021 with like 38k on the clock, about to roll over 80k miles (so like, 14k mi per year? Pretty good considering it's the primary car for two adults) I think we have $6200 in maintenance and $1600 of that is in tires. Probably would have been way less had we not taken it to SF BMW for the 50k service. The only abnormal issues so far have been

1. Wheel tilt sometimes stops early. Same with the seat leg extender thing. Hitting the memory button enough times will eventually get it in the right spot. Weirdly works perfectly when it's either very hot or very cold out, probably a bad ground somewhere

2. Needed to add about a gallon of coolant ($35 for the BMW specific stuff at Autozone) to the reservoir around 65k miles. Apparently not totally uncommon

3. Leather dash has started to peel up at the windshield, adhesive sticking it to the foam pulled back about 1" in some areas. In our defense we did street park it with the windshield facing west for an entire year in The South

Car has the same general inline 6 and transmission as most other full size BMW so parts aren't too crazy to find, and every major population center has a garage or nine that specializes in German cars, vs Maserati which you'll be lucky if there's more than two garages outside of the largest cities

Big downside is that if you live in Boston it can be difficult to street park, apparently

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I guess it's about time for cars with worn out carbon-ceramic brakes to be hitting the market, huh. That's going to be the source of many, many "this cheap exotic car ruined my life" stories.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tricky Ed posted:

I guess it's about time for cars with worn out carbon-ceramic brakes to be hitting the market, huh. That's going to be the source of many, many "this cheap exotic car ruined my life" stories.

A single ceramic disc for a 911 is 8k so yeah going to get expensive. People just swap steelies in there for 1/10th the cost though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I love the quattroporte and a dude down the street from me has one so Ive bothered him about it. Its a beautiful car, great sounding V8, handles decently. It also is always broken. Ive seen it getting towed twice in two years and dude says its a fairly regular occurrence for the gauge cluster to light up like a Christmas tree when he starts the car. 95% of the time this is solved by the classic fix of turn it off and turn it back on again and the other 5% of the time this happens it costs between 3 and 10 thousand dollars.

This is a car that became more reliable when it started using Fiat and Mopar components.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my 99 jeep dash would like up like a christmas tree. a solid fist bang on the dash would fix it. no kidding.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ethanol posted:

my 99 jeep dash would like up like a christmas tree. a solid fist bang on the dash would fix it. no kidding.

I had a rattle in a rental car which I fixed by opening the passenger side door and slamming it a couple of times. Never underestimate hitting things real hard as a solution.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had a rattle in a rental car which I fixed by opening the passenger side door and slamming it a couple of times. Never underestimate hitting things real hard as a solution.

Percussive maintenance

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hadlock posted:

My brother in Christ have you met our Lord and Savior the BMW 7 series. Depending on year and options (ours will self park, which is a neat party trick) that's like a $70-115k car new, but can be bought with factory warranty and 35k mi 3 years old, off lease for like $40k +/-

We bought ours in Jan 2021 with like 38k on the clock, about to roll over 80k miles (so like, 14k mi per year? Pretty good considering it's the primary car for two adults) I think we have $6200 in maintenance and $1600 of that is in tires. Probably would have been way less had we not taken it to SF BMW for the 50k service. The only abnormal issues so far have been

1. Wheel tilt sometimes stops early. Same with the seat leg extender thing. Hitting the memory button enough times will eventually get it in the right spot. Weirdly works perfectly when it's either very hot or very cold out, probably a bad ground somewhere

2. Needed to add about a gallon of coolant ($35 for the BMW specific stuff at Autozone) to the reservoir around 65k miles. Apparently not totally uncommon

3. Leather dash has started to peel up at the windshield, adhesive sticking it to the foam pulled back about 1" in some areas. In our defense we did street park it with the windshield facing west for an entire year in The South

Car has the same general inline 6 and transmission as most other full size BMW so parts aren't too crazy to find, and every major population center has a garage or nine that specializes in German cars, vs Maserati which you'll be lucky if there's more than two garages outside of the largest cities

Big downside is that if you live in Boston it can be difficult to street park, apparently

Consider yourself lucky. This guy bought a 750 from Carmax, and has already had 22K of repairs done to it, and is on pace to have almost 50K of repairs by the time the Carmax warranty expires.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7275071215641840939

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Inevitably one day it just stops fixing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

Inevitably one day it just stops fixing it.

rental car, not my problem. see thread title.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Consider yourself lucky. This guy bought a 750 from Carmax, and has already had 22K of repairs done to it, and is on pace to have almost 50K of repairs by the time the Carmax warranty expires.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7275071215641840939

The number of negative search results/overall sentiment about the "hot V8" N63 is largely why we decided to get the 740 with the inline six vs it's more powerful V8 sibling. 330hp is enough for a family car

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

It is funny GM killed their hot v8 after making a few hundred after spending a few hundred million developing it to beat the german hot vs before deciding the sbc did everything it did better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The number of negative search results/overall sentiment about the "hot V8" N63 is largely why we decided to get the 740 with the inline six vs it's more powerful V8 sibling. 330hp is enough for a family car

I have 508 and it's still not enough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^ edit: if I had 500hp I'd probably wrap it around a tree. I was already chirping the tires running errands in downtown yesterday

Ford has the Barra I6 and GM briefly made the Vortec 4200 I6 which apparently have stellar reputations and take boost

Kind of curious if I6 have overall cooler under hood temps due to both the shape of the block and the size of engine bay needed to hold one

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I think a big part of it is the inherent balance to the design of an I6.
They are naturally very smooth running engines. This isn't really something that an accountant could gently caress with either by telling production to cheap out on parts. An engineer would literally have to go out of their way to design an I6 that was unbalanced and it would probably shake itself apart before the test engines even had time to break in. If you've noticed a lot of the engines that have a rep for being indestructible were I6s. Chrysler Slant 6, Ford 300, AMC/Jeep 4.2 and 4.0L.
Lack of (or way way way less) vibrations is very good for longevity of an engine. Sure I guess they could put weak internals in them I guess, but its still a good design regardless. Most heavy truck engines are I6s too. Same reason.

Those engines are also dinosaurs that were conceived before there were tons of fuel economy and emissions regs, so they weren't taxed as much in stock form, and had heavier duty components and these days there are a lot fewer I6s than there were in years past due to packaging reasons too.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Lease question for this group. I am trying to lease an Ioniq 5 and have been going through a broker to work through my options. It seems like a one pay lease would save quite a bit of money compared to a traditional lease, and I'm trying to figure out what the risks are, and google is an SEO sesspool for this type of thing. Seems like this is the one time that gap insurance actually makes sense?

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
On the topic of Italian cars: my girlfriend has her eyes on a few 2013-2015 Fiat 500s. (Her Suzuki SX4 is rusting to death.) Any opinions here about these? I know they're tiny (a plus) and slow (not a concern). Surprisingly, we're seeing more manuals than automatics for sale -- seems like the better choice anyway, and she can learn on my car. We know all the old jokes, but what's Fiat reliability like these days?

Alternatively, any fun or at least fun-looking hatchbacks that can be had in reasonable shape around/under $10k she should be looking at? I know she should find a used Prius, she knows too, but she's resisting. Every time I've bought a car, I've had a very specific thing in mind, so this kind of broad shopping is new to me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Handsome Rob posted:

On the topic of Italian cars: my girlfriend has her eyes on a few 2013-2015 Fiat 500s. (Her Suzuki SX4 is rusting to death.) Any opinions here about these? I know they're tiny (a plus) and slow (not a concern). Surprisingly, we're seeing more manuals than automatics for sale -- seems like the better choice anyway, and she can learn on my car. We know all the old jokes, but what's Fiat reliability like these days?

Alternatively, any fun or at least fun-looking hatchbacks that can be had in reasonable shape around/under $10k she should be looking at? I know she should find a used Prius, she knows too, but she's resisting. Every time I've bought a car, I've had a very specific thing in mind, so this kind of broad shopping is new to me.

Fix It Again, Tony

Kia or Hyundai probably has something shed like. There arent that many fun hatchback models sold in USA especially for 10k used.

Flavors of VW Golf are an excellent car generally.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Handsome Rob posted:

It being a 10-year-old car is going to be a bigger issue than it being a FIAT.

500s are fun little cars. They inspire a lot of passion, both pro- and anti-. They are not good on the highway, so if she is planning on a lot of long hauls in it you may want to consider something else. For city driving and grocery-getting and such it's great. Its reliability is kind of average, probably better than a Suzuki.

A VW GTI is worth a look as an alternative.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think the Fiat 500 is a great choice if you love it. Its not well built and its not the most reliable thing in the world, but its fun to drive (especially with a manual transmission) and its fun.

If you dont love it and youre just looking for a small car there are better choices.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I got a freaking FIAT Panda from Naples to Venice without any major issues. It was slow and tiny but it got me there.

Only issue was that it threw a check engine light at me when I missed a downshift going 80 kmph but it drove fine and the code cleared on its own.

FIATs are fine!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
There are some higher mileage Focus ST's available for ~$10k, and while they are turbocharged I've heard (anecdotally) that they hold up pretty well. It's not really a small car, but it's also incredibly fun to drive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Lease question for this group. I am trying to lease an Ioniq 5 and have been going through a broker to work through my options. It seems like a one pay lease would save quite a bit of money compared to a traditional lease, and I'm trying to figure out what the risks are, and google is an SEO sesspool for this type of thing. Seems like this is the one time that gap insurance actually makes sense?

Gap insurance for a lease? First I've heard of that.

The problem with a "one pay" lease is the same, but even worse, than a down payment on a lease: if you drive it off that lot and total it that's it, all money paid is forfeit. If there is a gap product for this it's going to have to be quite interestingly structured, as it's going to have to pay out the lease company first and then the rest of what you put in? This sounds like something that needs to be part of the lease contract and supplied with it.

Why are you trying to lease a commodity car? If the answer isn't "it's being paid for by my business and I need to turn capex into opex for accounting reasons" you probably shouldn't be leasing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's a lot of fucky poo poo with EV incentives now. Many EVs, including the Ioniq 5 don't qualify for the federal tax credits if the vehicle is purchased due to low NA sourced content. But if you lease the vehicle, you qualify for the tax credit, which now reduces the cap cost of the lease by $7,500. At that point, it makes a lot more sense to lease because even if money factors are lousy (my dad just got a lease on an Ioniq 5 with excellent credit for an APR equivalent of 10.2% :stare:), it takes a whole hell of a lot to make up for what's essentially a 15% cut to cap cost.

Tax credit fuckery aside, I think it's generally a good idea to lease EVs as an exception to the general wisdom that you should not lease. Tech is moving very fast and these are not yet "buy and keep for 10 years" cars - keeping a non-NACS car, for instance, is a pain, and the resale values will be lower on those cars. But there's no way you could have foretold that a year ago.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

Gap insurance for a lease? First I've heard of that.

The problem with a "one pay" lease is the same, but even worse, than a down payment on a lease: if you drive it off that lot and total it that's it, all money paid is forfeit. If there is a gap product for this it's going to have to be quite interestingly structured, as it's going to have to pay out the lease company first and then the rest of what you put in? This sounds like something that needs to be part of the lease contract and supplied with it.

Why are you trying to lease a commodity car? If the answer isn't "it's being paid for by my business and I need to turn capex into opex for accounting reasons" you probably shouldn't be leasing.

Thanks this is really helpful. I havent seen the full lease paperwork yet so there very well may be a gap product in there.

And yes Kyoon answered the other parts of this. If I lease I get a $7500 cost reduction that I dont get if I buy. And Im doing a 24 month lease that lines up with when our second car is paid off then we can do a bigger assessment as to where we are as a family with our car needs, where the market is, etc.

The one pay lease ends up being ~$3,000 cheaper than a traditional lease with a couple grand down, so the economics of it make sense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

And yes Kyoon answered the other parts of this. If I lease I get a $7500 cost reduction that I dont get if I buy. And Im doing a 24 month lease that lines up with when our second car is paid off then we can do a bigger assessment as to where we are as a family with our car needs, where the market is, etc.

The one pay lease ends up being ~$3,000 cheaper than a traditional lease with a couple grand down, so the economics of it make sense.

Yikes, those are some perverse incentives (thanks Kyoon).

Without understanding what happens if the car is totaled during the lease term I'd say it's a pretty unacceptable risk for $3k. Surely this is/can be mitigated in the contract.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wouldn't totaling a leased car be like totaling a financed car? The insurance company would pay what the car was worth at the time of the accident, and if that is more than the residual + remaining lease payments, you would keep the difference. If you paid your lease off at the start, it would just be the residual, so you'd keep more.

I'm not understanding the issue. If anything, a one payment lease would be better because you wouldn't owe money factor on payments for a car that no longer exists.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

Without understanding what happens if the car is totaled during the lease term I'd say it's a pretty unacceptable risk for $3k. Surely this is/can be mitigated in the contract.

Yea it basically does not make sense for families above the AGI threshold for the EV incentives to purchase EVs. Far better to lease and then do a buy out or whatever else to get the $7,500 reduction (that almost all dealers/manufacturers are passing along I dont think Ive seen any that arent).

Ill take a look at the contract to see about gap coverage when I get it. Thanks again

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Motronic posted:

The history behind it is interesting, Congress only wanted to subsidize American-built EVs but Congress doesn't enforce the law, so:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44131850/leasing-an-ev-tax-credit/

quote:

In December, the U.S. Treasury Department issued its guidance on interpreting the new rules specified in the Inflation Reduction Act. Under law, Congress exempted "commercial" vehicles, a definition most often applied to medium- and heavy-duty trucks, from the domestic-content rules.

But, Treasury said, when a dealer buys a vehicle and leases it to a driver it's a commercial transaction, since the driver or end user does not take title of the vehicle. Instead, either the dealer or a finance company holding the lease retains ownership and receives the tax credit. The department accordingly defines leased EVs—but not purchased EVs—as "commercial" vehicles.

Anyway, the law of the land now is that any leased vehicle of any kind is now a "commercial vehicle", which can open the door to other sorts of preferential tax and other treatment and may push more people towards leases in general even though interest rates are sky high now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Wouldn't totaling a leased car be like totaling a financed car? The insurance company would pay what the car was worth at the time of the accident, and if that is more than the residual + remaining lease payments, you would keep the difference. If you paid your lease off at the start, it would just be the residual, so you'd keep more.

I'm not understanding the issue. If anything, a one payment lease would be better because you wouldn't owe money factor on payments for a car that no longer exists.

As far as I can tell the one payment lease only makes sense if you plan to pay off the lease AND buy the car outright at its residual value, de-facto buying the car outright with the credit.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As far as I can tell the one payment lease only makes sense if you plan to pay off the lease AND buy the car outright at its residual value, de-facto buying the car outright with the credit.

Pretty much this. It's not unheard of to get an insane deal in some cases on one pay leases as well, but it's not common. People who are trying to capture the EV credit are doing this a lot, but those folks want to own the vehicle and not complete the lease.

KillHour posted:

Nope. In a lease you don't own the car. My car is owned by CABT LLC which is who Ford uses to hold the leases. Insurance pays them. Ford leases include a GAP Waiver clause.

Here's the legalese from my lease contract, looks like in the event of a total loss on a single pay lease they will credit you back some funds. YMMV, this is Ford specific.

code:
THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OF VEHICLE If the Vehicle is stolen or
destroyed, the amount You owe will depend upon whether You had
the required insurance in effect and the claim for the Vehicle is fully
honored. If Finance Company does not receive the full insurance
proceeds, You will pay to Finance Company the following: (a) the
Unpaid Adjusted Capitalized Cost, plus (b) all other amounts then due
under the lease (except charges for excess wear and use and
mileage), less (c) any insurance proceeds received by Finance
Company.
GAP Waiver If You had in effect the insurance required under this
lease and Finance Company receives the full insurance proceeds,
You will not be required to pay the difference (GAP) between the
Unpaid Adjusted Capitalized Cost and the insurance proceeds. You
will only be required to pay: (a) any past due Monthly Payments, plus
(b) the amount of the applicable insurance deductible, plus (c) all
other amounts then due under this lease (except charges for excess
wear and use and mileage).
Even if the Vehicle is insured, if You have a Monthly Payment Lease,
until Finance Company receives payment of the insurance proceeds,
You agree to continue to make Your Monthly Payments. If You have
an Advance Payment Lease, after any insurance proceeds are paid,
You will receive a credit equal to the Base Monthly Payment multiplied
by the number of remaining months in the Lease Term in Months,
beginning with the month immediately following the date of theft or
destruction.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Pretty much this. It's not unheard of to get an insane deal in some cases on one pay leases as well, but it's not common. People who are trying to capture the EV credit are doing this a lot, but those folks want to own the vehicle and not complete the lease.

Nope. In a lease you don't own the car. My car is owned by CABT LLC which is who Ford uses to hold the leases. Insurance pays them. Ford leases include a GAP Waiver clause.

Here's the legalese from my lease contract, looks like in the event of a total loss on a single pay lease they will credit you back some funds. YMMV, this is Ford specific.

code:
THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OF VEHICLE If the Vehicle is stolen or
destroyed, the amount You owe will depend upon whether You had
the required insurance in effect and the claim for the Vehicle is fully
honored. If Finance Company does not receive the full insurance
proceeds, You will pay to Finance Company the following: (a) the
Unpaid Adjusted Capitalized Cost, plus (b) all other amounts then due
under the lease (except charges for excess wear and use and
mileage), less (c) any insurance proceeds received by Finance
Company.
GAP Waiver If You had in effect the insurance required under this
lease and Finance Company receives the full insurance proceeds,
You will not be required to pay the difference (GAP) between the
Unpaid Adjusted Capitalized Cost and the insurance proceeds. You
will only be required to pay: (a) any past due Monthly Payments, plus
(b) the amount of the applicable insurance deductible, plus (c) all
other amounts then due under this lease (except charges for excess
wear and use and mileage).
Even if the Vehicle is insured, if You have a Monthly Payment Lease,
until Finance Company receives payment of the insurance proceeds,
You agree to continue to make Your Monthly Payments. If You have
an Advance Payment Lease, after any insurance proceeds are paid,
You will receive a credit equal to the Base Monthly Payment multiplied
by the number of remaining months in the Lease Term in Months,
beginning with the month immediately following the date of theft or
destruction.

Reading this, it says exactly what I said. If you finance a car, the bank owns the car. If your insurance doesn't pay off the car, you owe what's left. That's what GAP is.

The only difference is that you also owe the interest on any remaining payments because leases don't have early payoff like financing does.

If the insurance company pays out more than the remaining lease payments + residual, Ford can't just keep that difference.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah you're right about them not keeping the overage. It's something I didn't really consider to be a likely scenario. Probably more likely in the last 2 years with used car prices being nuts. My Expedition would probably be a wash right now. I'm wrong about that, learned something new today. I just assumed the leasing company got to keep the upside as well.

Maybe it varies by state, but in Texas, if I traditionally finance the car, I'm the registered owner of the vehicle. The title to the vehicle has my name on it, and listed as the owner on the registration paperwork with the state. The bank is a lienholder against the title. Similar to my house. I'm on the deed to my house, but the bank holds the lien against it until I pay the mortgage off.

My leased vehicle is owned by CABT LLC, their name is on the vehicle registration as the owner, and their name is on the title.

When I bought out a Ford lease previously, the title was held by CABT LLC, and since ownership is changing hands, it generates a taxable sale here in Texas. A new title was generated in my name for the vehicle. One of the many reasons leasing here in Texas sucks compared to most states. You get to pay full sales tax on the lease, and then pay sales tax again if you buy the lease out since the title changes hands.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 20, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Yeah you're right about them not keeping the overage. It's something I didn't really consider to be a likely scenario. Probably more likely in the last 2 years with used car prices being nuts. My Expedition would probably be a wash right now. I'm wrong about that, learned something new today. I just assumed the leasing company got to keep the upside as well.

Maybe it varies by state, but in Texas, if I traditionally finance the car, I'm the registered owner of the vehicle. The title to the vehicle has my name on it, and listed as the owner on the registration paperwork with the state. The bank is a lienholder against the title. Similar to my house. I'm on the deed to my house, but the bank holds the lien against it until I pay the mortgage off.

My leased vehicle is owned by CABT LLC, their name is on the vehicle registration as the owner, and their name is on the title.

When I bought out a Ford lease previously, the title was held by CABT LLC, and since ownership is changing hands, it generates a taxable sale here in Texas. A new title was generated in my name for the vehicle. One of the many reasons leasing here in Texas sucks compared to most states. You get to pay full sales tax on the lease, and then pay sales tax again if you buy the lease out since the title changes hands.

You're right that it does change what name is on the vehicle, but it doesn't really change how much money you owe and to who. It's just more likely to be under water on a lease than on a purchase because the lease is designed for you to end up with exactly 0 equity at the end.

Leases basically exist for weird tax loophole reasons and so most of the impact is on that side.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 20, 2023

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

KillHour posted:

You're right that it does change what name is on the vehicle, but it doesn't really change how much money you owe and to who. It's just more likely to be under water on a lease than on a purchase because the lease is designed for you to end up with exactly 0 equity at the end.

Leases basically exist for weird tax loophole reasons and so most of the impact is on that side.

What about in a "smart-buy" program? For a V-6 Altima perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

a "smart-buy" program? For a V-6 Altima perhaps?

This seems like an oxymoron or maybe :thejoke: