Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm a bit perplexed at "maybe considering a three row SUV" but the ones you've listed as prime candidates are all the second-smallest or smallest two-row crossovers their respective companies make. The CRV/CX5/RAV4 aren't cramped by any means but I also wouldn't call the back seat "roomy" in any of them. Four adults will put you in fairly close quarters. You'll definitely take a fuel economy hit but if rear seat and road trip comfort are priorities, I'd also be looking at the Highlander as already mentioned, or the Honda Passport/Pilot.

The primary passengers will be my wife and kid(s), especially on road trips. The two-row CUVs would seemingly be “just fine” for that kind of use. The three-row SUVs would be more out of convenience and covering every possible future scenario. I agree Grand Highlander would probably be the better vehicle with respect to space, but ultimately its space I’m not 100% sure we need beyond some “edge case” scenarios.

EDIT: I say Grand Highlander because the base-level Highlander didn’t seem to offer what I wanted… it seemed to make more financial sense to look at the Grand Highlander LE (starting ~$43) rather than a top trim Highlander (starting ~$45k).

What does Toyota offer that is in-between Highlander size and RAV4?

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I drive the bigger ones for work as rental cars and I would call them 'luxuriously roomy'. like the highlanders, sequoias, gmc Yukons... rav4 has 'economy roomy'. the question is do you actually need a third row? I definitely don't.

of course American frame of reference, a rav4 is relatively small. in Europe im pretty sure a rav4 is a behemoth?

if gas mileage is your game going with the bigger suv's with luxury room doesn't play along.

Gin_Rummy posted:

EDIT: How do you feel about the softex seating? We know for sure we do not want fabric, and everything I’ve read implies the softex is much more durable and easier to maintain than real leather. I’ve only ever had leather seats in my cars though, so I only have hearsay to go off of there.
I love the feel of the seats and though I normally don't care the trim package has this nice blue stitching on the cushions that im partial to. but I have no idea how durable they are because they're like a month old

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 2, 2024

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

ethanol posted:

if gas mileage is your game going with the bigger suv's with luxury room doesn't play along.

To be fair, the hybrid SUVs (which we would almost certainly get if we went Toyota) seem more than good enough on MPG. The car we are replacing did somewhere in the high 20s and my Mazda usually gets about 30. The hybrid Grand Highlander seems to do about the same or more.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the highlander is a good choice I think, I just didn't look at them because they're bigger and more expensive. rav4 was as big as I wanted

edit: also I have no idea what a grand highlander is. an even bigger highlander?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 2, 2024

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yep! If the manufacturer pricing is to believed, it starts at just a few grand more than a RAV4 XSE too (one RAV4 in our area that we like is priced ~$41.5k, vs Grand Highlander Hybrid XLE starting at $45k), with most of the features I’m wanting already coming standard. So it appears that I would be getting a lot kore of what I want for just a small up charge. The trick here though is that no one has inventory on the lower trim Grand Highlanders, and I have no idea what pricing will actually look like once it’s on a lot with dealership bullshit thrown in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think you're already confirmed in the Rav 4 and Highlander zone but Mazda chat: a CX-5 is challenging with 2 car seats. Doable if the front seaters know what you're getting into but the driver is probably not getting their preferred position unless they are 5'5". CX-50 is needed to compete with the RAV4 layout on car seats.

CX-50 is just a Mazda 3 and the history of the CX30 and CX-50 to date haven't given any reason to believe they'll age different. CX-90 is probably ok to avoid it as the first model Mazda has ever trucked with a hybrid.

If you're balking at the RAV4 and Highlander Toyota tax you owe yourself looking a little harder at CR-V or a Pilot/Passport.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Even a CX-5 seems massive to me. But again I’m coming from a tiny 20 year old coupe. And my main cargo concern is fitting my bike - all of the CUVs I test drove had enough space to hold my bike, if I put the back seats down.

I hope you find a good suv to haul your family around. I think it’s nice that you have an intergenerational household :)

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
And yet another reason why I’m not totally sold on a three-row SUV either. Interior space is nice and all, but I already hate driving my dad’s Tacoma because of the size. Our old CUV was a Santa Fe sport which is much closer to a RAV4 and more in line with what I am comfortable in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you can afford it I would get a third row with a family. They are very useful in typical extended family experiences

That is if you can afford the cost and the fact that the car is bigger

Get a minivan obviously but that is off the table I know.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Should be clear that a third row is only extra seating in very specific marketer dream lands like carpooling kids to soccer practice 10 minutes away. If any adults are involved or you're going further with more or bigger kids or have substantial gear that comes with the passengers you're probably still caravaning or else you should consider a minivan.

What third row really means is the second row can be in a spot that lets you avoid car seat interference and keep bigger kids knees from knocking the front seats. You don't need to avoid car seat interference or keeping kids knees out of the seat in front of them but it might be nice enough to make it into your money and space budget.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carpooling kids around is a pretty concrete reality

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

coupe body style CUVs are the fuckin dumbest poo poo in the world but in addition to that the Envista sucks and doesn't even offer any CUV utility seeing as how it's FWD only. its terrible acceleration will have you wishing they put a CVT on it

for what its worth I think the Envision is actually a pretty good car and I generally like Buicks :corsair:

I wonder how Envision cross shops with a CR-V. I bet everyone I show it to would be like "why wouldn't I just buy a CR-V" and CR-V has actually fine AWD now (for its indicated purpose)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 2, 2024

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

What does Toyota offer that is in-between Highlander size and RAV4?

They don't but isn't the regular Highlander a two-row, not a three row? That's how Honda has it split with the Passport (2-row) and Pilot (3-row).

ethanol posted:

I drive the bigger ones for work as rental cars and I would call them 'luxuriously roomy'. like the highlanders, sequoias, gmc Yukons... rav4 has 'economy roomy'.

"Economy roomy" is a good description for the RAV4/CRV compacts. They aren't super tight but a couple inches here and there makes for a much more comfortable experience.

I will also throw out a consideration that perhaps the car you have two rear-seat baby buckets in is not the car you want to keep for 15+ years, especially if you're open to EVs. In your shoes I would be tempted to spend on the lower side on something that meets the immediate needs and in five+ years, evaluate what's available for new/used EVs in your price range.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Highlander is three row. It's just a small three row. The Grand Highlander is more usable as a three row where the standard one is like zedprime said a thing you maybe use in a pinch to take kids to soccer.

We have a 2012 highlander and I've never seen the third row, but because it has a third row you have some fore and aft adjustment on the second row that makes car seats/kids/etc fit much easier.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Cage posted:

My dad is going to need a new vehicle soon. He currently has a 2011 Rogue that he had to buy quickly after my brother totaled his car and its a piece of poo poo. He doesn't need much but it has to be easier to get into than a car, so suv or similar. So I guess I'm asking whats the current recommendation for "prius but six inches higher" if we want to stay on the cheaper side of things?

edit: he doesn't want Hyundai/Kia because he's afraid of the kia boyz

Get yourself to your local Alfa Romeo dealer and pick up a just off lease Stelvio! :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davecrazy posted:

Get yourself to your local Alfa Romeo dealer and pick up a just off lease Stelvio! :)
Thats a lot more expensive than "cheap"!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Cage posted:

Thats a lot more expensive than "cheap"!

Seriously, used 2020/2021 examples with under 30k miles can be had for under 20k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davecrazy posted:

Seriously, used 2020/2021 examples with under 30k miles can be had for under 20k.

But how much are you going to pay your mechanic over the next 5 years?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's transportation (maybe) AND a hobby (of fixing cars)!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I almost got roped into an iPace (sub $30k!) and the insurance was reasonable but then I remembered my shade tree wasn't gonna touch it and I am over an hour from the nearest Jaaaaag dealer.

Ah well, back to looking for a leftover bolt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've gotten to drive all manner of stupid expenisve 5-ish year old cars for real cheap thgought my life because I buy things I can and am willing to work on. It takes its own toll, but gaddamn do not buy this poo poo if you're not able to and like working on it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I keep trying to justify a way to seriously think about an F-Type but I can’t find a legit reason to spend that much on a car that has even less utility then my current ride.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"It gives you the fizz" is a perfectly good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-x9w2HzZf8

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm a bit perplexed at "maybe considering a three row SUV" but the ones you've listed as prime candidates are all the second-smallest or smallest two-row crossovers their respective companies make. The CRV/CX5/RAV4 aren't cramped by any means but I also wouldn't call the back seat "roomy" in any of them. Four adults will put you in fairly close quarters. You'll definitely take a fuel economy hit but if rear seat and road trip comfort are priorities, I'd also be looking at the Highlander as already mentioned, or the Honda Passport/Pilot.

The cr-v has huge rear end back seats, they've got the same legroom as the front, the doors open wide, and it's easy as hell to get things in and out of there along with having a great storage area in the rear. It's one of the reasons I bought mine.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
3rd row seats seems like the new pickup bed. Everybody thinks they need it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Cage posted:

Am I crazy for liking the buick envista? Its cheap and still has a six speed transmission instead of a cvt.

It's basically a tall, FWD sedan. It's slow and not sporty to drive. I do think it looks good, and it's inexpensive by today's standards. But I don't know how much longevity I'd expect out of that tiny turbo motor.

Also: Why isn't it a hybrid? Seems like that would improve performance and economy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

I've gotten to drive all manner of stupid expenisve 5-ish year old cars for real cheap thgought my life because I buy things I can and am willing to work on. It takes its own toll, but gaddamn do not buy this poo poo if you're not able to and like working on it.

If I was looking to buy an unreliable car, pile of poo poo or otherwise that I was willing to do all or most of the work to, to keep going I'd probably stick to something American.
At least parts are more likely to be cheap and available.

Not that I'm trying to tell anyone how to live their lives.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Inner Light posted:

I wonder how Envision cross shops with a CR-V. I bet everyone I show it to would be like "why wouldn't I just buy a CR-V" and CR-V has actually fine AWD now (for its indicated purpose)

That's why they don't really sell well, of course. I think the Envision has a nicer interior, a better transmission, and very quiet and comfortable ride compared to the CR-V. But most buyers don't care that much and also the CR-V is a Honda so it will sell no matter what.

Number_6 posted:

It's basically a tall, FWD sedan. It's slow and not sporty to drive. I do think it looks good, and it's inexpensive by today's standards. But I don't know how much longevity I'd expect out of that tiny turbo motor.

Also: Why isn't it a hybrid? Seems like that would improve performance and economy.

It's not a hybrid because it's built to a price point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

If I was looking to buy an unreliable car, pile of poo poo or otherwise that I was willing to do all or most of the work to, to keep going I'd probably stick to something American.
At least parts are more likely to be cheap and available.

Not that I'm trying to tell anyone how to live their lives.

While true, I've found much better DIY/self maintenance communities around german cars and more "special" asian cars (think Miata, Z-cars, etc). When you're rolling with a redundant array of inexpensive shitboxes you can structure things so waiting on parts for one isn't a problem. These same communities very often have a few people selling parts/with parts cars so you can cut down on costs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Yikes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's not just Ram. People have had it with $85k strip model trucks and $100k well equipped trucks. The lots are overflowing with them at Dodge, Ford and Chevy too. They finally pushed too far and with interest rates what they are the kind of person who would spend 6 figgies on a measly 1/2 ton pickup (read: toy, not a truck capable of real truck-type work) simply can't afford it. In that same price range but targeted at a very different market segment, Porsche can't seem to keep Macans and Cayennes in stock however.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 3, 2024

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

can you post the one for toyota...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A lot of that sales loss is due to them no longer offering the models listed. The Cherokee dropped 91% because they stopped making it, same with the Chrysler 200.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

How are there that many people willing and able to buy Wagoneers?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Explosionface posted:

How are there that many people willing and able to buy Wagoneers?

Judged by driving around Arches and Canyonlands on a common spring break week, a shitload?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How do I return a 7 year old car in a way it shows on their public sales figures? I want to be the -1 Chrysler 200s.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Presumably a warranty situation

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Just get a minivan, coward!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

It's not just Ram. People have had it with $85k strip model trucks and $100k well equipped trucks. The lots are overflowing with them at Dodge, Ford and Chevy too. They finally pushed too far and with interest rates what they are the kind of person who would spend 6 figgies on a measly 1/2 ton pickup (read: toy, not a truck capable of real truck-type work) simply can't afford it. In that same price range but targeted at a very different market segment, Porsche can't seem to keep Macans and Cayennes in stock however.

the amount of people who buy 90k trucks while calling themselves "working class" but think someone buying a macan is a bougie is lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Shipon posted:

the amount of people who buy 90k trucks while calling themselves "working class" but think someone buying a macan is a bougie is lol

Then they have a giant poo poo fit and yap constantly about insurrection because gas is too expensive. Remember back in the late aughts when people bought fuel efficient cars instead of screaming about freedom from their big stupid loving TRUCKS?

They were out frivolously using gas to poo poo up overpasses waving "gently caress Trudeau" flags the other day because our carbon tax went up 3c a liter.