Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Your goal/trigger point for getting a cashier check is signing a purchase agreement or invoice. Sometimes dealerships let you do this remotely but it's not super popular yet. You may be asked to do a partial down payment by debit or credit card as part of finalizing the agreement before they agree you can have the car while you go back to the bank. You will want to plan like 4 hours of your day to deal with all this poo poo.

It's not a bad idea to just traipse in dum de dumb and take another test drive of the car you're actually going to purchase. There's sometimes small defects that can be warranty repaired while you work on paperwork and they do the old new car out the door detailing.

Normally I'd agree paying cash for a car is pants on head stupid but interest rates right now, hoo boy. I'd hedge and put half down if I had no interest in financing and plan to close out in a couple months assuming my situation still made cash make sense. Besides the sales process consider all angles of what that money can do for you compared to investment and retirement accounts, healthcare funds, home improvement etc. and even the current rates can melt away into free positive liquidity.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

zedprime posted:

Your goal/trigger point for getting a cashier check is signing a purchase agreement or invoice. Sometimes dealerships let you do this remotely but it's not super popular yet. You may be asked to do a partial down payment by debit or credit card as part of finalizing the agreement before they agree you can have the car while you go back to the bank. You will want to plan like 4 hours of your day to deal with all this poo poo.

It's not a bad idea to just traipse in dum de dumb and take another test drive of the car you're actually going to purchase. There's sometimes small defects that can be warranty repaired while you work on paperwork and they do the old new car out the door detailing.

Normally I'd agree paying cash for a car is pants on head stupid but interest rates right now, hoo boy. I'd hedge and put half down if I had no interest in financing and plan to close out in a couple months assuming my situation still made cash make sense. Besides the sales process consider all angles of what that money can do for you compared to investment and retirement accounts, healthcare funds, home improvement etc. and even the current rates can melt away into free positive liquidity.

Yeah even on excellent credit rates are just under 6% right now. Unless you go with the manufacturer subsidized loans but those usually only apply to models no one wants to buy without a discount.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Like zed said there will be a purchase agreement with all the fees and stuff. I have had one place be totally fine showing up with a cashiers check and letting me drive away. Another place, they told me that if I brought a check of any kind it would require a hold period to make sure it cleared. I had to switch to wire transfer for that one.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
When I bought my most recent car I did 50% loan and cash. They just let me write a personal check which was pretty surprising but they said they knew basically everything they needed from the loan application and weren’t worried the check wouldn’t clear.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was $10k in the hole (needed some interstate ACH/Zelle from my dinosaur savings to my local bank) and didn't have my trade in title with me on a Saturday. They said see you back here on Tuesday or Wednesday and I drove off in the new car.

There's no telling what the local laws or accountants' level of risk avoidance or fee avoidance is so it's hard to be anything more than aware that you're going to have to do business.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

One thing to check if you do financing at all is that there isn’t anything in the loan paperwork about penalties for paying the loan off early.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Interest rates seem quite high for vehicles. As such, theoretical debt management and the opportunity cost of investing the liquidity did not seem like a significant consideration.

So is the main utility that I can get a lower car price if they think they are scamming me with predatory financing? Which I then pay off immediately (I check that financing has no penalties for paying off early)?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So is the main utility that I can get a lower car price if they think they are scamming me with predatory financing? Which I then pay off immediately (I check that financing has no penalties for paying off early)?

Yes. They are counting on getting paid for financing. If you walk in all smug about "I'm paying CASH" is works to your detriment. Let them think they're gonna make their money on it then pay it off immediately.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we have just the one "regular" car a 2017 sedan with, pretty close to 90k miles on it now. We're averaging just shy of 15k miles a year, pretty reliably. No maintenance issues just doing the required stuff at the factory suggested intervals. We have a 0.25% note on it with a couple years left. Our current gas bill is like $500-800 monthly since it only gets 20-22mpg city, 27-30mpg hwy (split about equal)

Wife is convinced we will "save money" by leasing a Tesla for $350/mo + insurance and driving it instead, and our car is "getting too old".

I offered to buy a Toyota Yaris for $4000 and just use that for the rare occasion we actually need a second car (mostly to go a mile down the road to daycare on the 20 days a year it rains here)

The way I figure, $350 for the leased Tesla, $125 for insurance, plus $175 for electricity* = $650

If we stop driving the gas powered sedan and lease the model Y does that make financial sense? The reason why we got the sedan is it's a great big luxo-barge that's really comfortable to climb in and out of and go do road trips in. The model Y would be a huge downgrade imo

The upside I see is that the nearly maintenance free car won't need to be maintained while we're driving it, so we're saving $1000 on tires every two years plus about $1500/yr in planned maintenance costs

Me personally I'd much rather buy a car and drive it for 20 years, or until the wheels fall off whichever comes first, the "newest" car I'd ever bought before I met my wife was 120,000 miles so I find it pretty perplexing that 90k miles is old. I would expect to get at least another 60k miles on this car before retiring it. The styling is pretty vanilla so it's not like it looks "outdated" parked in the driveway

Oh and finally, we could afford to buy/finance a new or used Tesla, there's no extreme situation where we need to lease a car due to cash flow issues

TL;DR what materials can I reference explaining leasing a Tesla is a poor financial decision

*Her sister with two kids has a model Y and their bill for charging the car was $160 last month

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
You are absolutely not spending 500-700/month on gas. At 15,000 miles a year and 20 MPG you're using 750 gallons. Even assuming 6/gal since California, that's $4500/year or $375/mo.

Also, since you live in California, you get to pay 35 cents/kWh (at the cost of eating 70 c/kWh during the afternoon) if you charge at home, or 60-70 c/kWh if you rely on DC fast chargers. So an EV really doesn't make sense over a paid off car

Shipon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 29, 2024

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Alternatively, your wife just wants a Tesla.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Yeah I've floated this possibility to her

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

c355n4 posted:

Yeah.It sounds like this.

It's okay to want stuff. It's even okay to buy stuff that you can afford. No need to twist oneself into knots making poo poo up and inflating numbers to justify. Just agree that she should buy the car she wants if this is financially reasonable.

We'd all be driving first gen priuses if it wasn't okay to buy something you actually want to drive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Nothing about the model Y experience will stack up to the 7 series.

Edit but yeah happy wife happy life etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"the neighbors" just got a model X I've been trying to steer her towards a used X, bottom of market for a used X (circa 2018) is roughly equivalent to a new Y

We drove "the neighbors" model X and that felt like, with 3 row x 2 seats per row (2 parents, 2 kids, 2 widowed grandmas) a pretty solid choice

And yeah a model Y feels like a huge, huge step down from the sedan. I'd much rather go get a hybrid '20 7 series than deal with a bare bones Tesla

Whatever. I will have the Citroen here soon and she can drive whatever econobox she thinks is better and I'll have a car that will outlive us both

Went by the local Tesla showroom and all the kids were always climbing around in the X, never the 3 or Y; sort of a testament to how much larger/more interior space there is in the X

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 30, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Maybe you are different IRL but online you come across as pretty much the archetypal Tesla owner, fill your boots.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think I mentioned I have been eyeballing the new Hyundai Santa Fe as a new car for my wife (she had a Santa Fe sport from a couple generations ago but the base trim and didn’t love it but it was overall a pretty decent car). Was shocked to watch the recent savageese video on the new one and they positively gushed over it. They seem pretty cynical in their reviews (in a good, humorous way) but they seemed really impressed. I guess I need to go check one out for real!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Maybe you are different IRL but online you come across as pretty much the archetypal Tesla owner, fill your boots.

Honestly if Toyota weren't such cowards about BEV, I'd jump on a BEV version of the Lexus GX or Toyota equivalent. Jeep has been offering an EV wrangler for some years now apparently.

The biggest problem with the 3 and Y is that you're bumping elbows and occupants are tightly packed in the center of the car. The model X is "only" 3 inches wider but there's closer to 6 additional inches of elbow room in the center

None of this solves the lease vs buy question though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jeep has not been offering an EV Wrangler, they've been offering a PHEV Wrangler.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hadlock posted:

Honestly if Toyota weren't such cowards about BEV, I'd jump on a BEV version of the Lexus GX or Toyota equivalent. Jeep has been offering an EV wrangler for some years now apparently.

The biggest problem with the 3 and Y is that you're bumping elbows and occupants are tightly packed in the center of the car. The model X is "only" 3 inches wider but there's closer to 6 additional inches of elbow room in the center

Found the target market for the bz4x

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My search for a new car has taken on a new urgency. A girl was looking for a lost contact rather than the road and plowed into my car. I'm ok but the car will be totaled.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

in a well actually posted:

Found the target market for the bz4x

Except that it's an ugly forgettable jellybean crossover SUV thing. Tesla, Hyundai, VW and everyone else already sell one of those

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Jeep has not been offering an EV Wrangler, they've been offering a PHEV Wrangler.

Huh I guess so.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 30, 2024

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hadlock posted:

Except that it's an ugly forgettable jellybean crossover SUV thing. Tesla, Hyundai, VW and everyone else already sell one of those

And how is that different than a model X, other than the doors that go like 🤷instead of 🤲?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We were watching cars go by the other day near the mall and I honestly couldn't tell the X from the Y yeah they're both definitely jellybean cars no argument there. Apparently if you squint real hard the sheet metal seams and door handles are somehow different

A used X for $55k with the 3x2 seating arrangement seemed like a good compromise car, it's basically a minivan (the car we should be buying) but it's substantially wider than the Y and the interior finish appears to be slightly better (but only barely). The model Y technically offers third row seating but it's actually worse than the 911s backseat there's no way to put your feet on the floor back there. The model X also has a neat windshield that gives you 90° of visibility and makes it feel much more spacious. It probably also has better towing capacity

When the GX/Land cruiser were announced I tried selling my wife on getting her one of those but she appears to be dead set on an EV. I tried selling her on a used taycan but she really doesn't like how they look, plus they haven't depreciated all that much, particularly ones that aren't some shade of "pleasing gray-beige". And then it looks like Toyota is only going to offer 3rd row seating on the 4Runner or Lexus GX, and not the land cruiser, despite all three vehicles being functionally identical and the land cruiser coming with "third row" cupholders

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Enjoy your used Tesla X. (The hybrid Sienna is far more superior).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Model X(and also S) has a very useful cluster-type screen behind the steering wheel, and it makes a world of difference, when compared to 3/Y driving experience.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Hadlock posted:

"Cowards" IMO toyota rightfully knows that battery electric vehicles don't make enough sense for most people right now. Prius Prime and Rav4 Prime are much more what we need

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shipon posted:

"Cowards" IMO toyota rightfully knows that battery electric vehicles don't make enough sense for most people right now. Prius Prime and Rav4 Prime are much more what we need

Someone who manufactures this many cars knows their market and knows there's not enough of an EV one to be worth their time.

We're seeing it already: the pent up demand for people with use cases that fit the current technology as well as the rabid fans has been met. We're over the rush, now it's just serving the market they serve. Which is a big market. But not Toyota big.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Darth Brooks posted:

My search for a new car has taken on a new urgency. A girl was looking for a lost contact rather than the road and plowed into my car. I'm ok but the car will be totaled.

Egads. Glad you're all right.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Nitrox posted:

Model X(and also S) has a very useful cluster-type screen behind the steering wheel, and it makes a world of difference, when compared to 3/Y driving experience.

You can buy aftermarket instrument-cluster-type screens for the Y and 3 for not a lot of money, but I don't know how well they work or how janky the installation is.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nitrox posted:

Disagree.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Having to install an aftermarket dashboard is where I draw the line

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I bought a 2020 Hyundai Accent a while back and have about 18 months left on my car loan.

I work from home, and aside from a couple long distance road trips a year I don't use it for much more than shopping, etc. As a result, I have less than 13k miles on it. No scratches, dents, etc.

I'm not a car guy, and this was my first new car. While I haven't had any mechanical issues, I was very cost conscious and got the most basic trim. In hindsight, I should have sprung for the SEL and gotten a few extra features (like Apple-play for the infotainment system, etc).

I was looking at the market for cars like mine and thinking of trading it in for a better car once I pay off the car loan.

1. Given the recent spate of inflation and higher interest rates, am I an idiot for considering this? Should I just drive this thing until it or I die?

2. If trading it in isn't a terrible idea, here are my thoughts on a new car: Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic, Toyota Carolla, maybe a Mazda 3, and (not a joke option) 2022 Hyundai Accent with an SEL package (assuming it isn't used and I can find it at a reasonable price). I'm not particularly brand loyal, and heard that the Toyotas are a lot more reliable, but I also heard you get a far worse trade in value if you try to trade in a different brand of car to the dealership (i.e. trading in a Hyundai for a Toyota.

What would you guys do?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you only buying a new car to get car play? What other factors are driving throwing away your sweetheart financing deal and having a nearly paid off car, vs buying one at a huge financing cost

Can you retrofit a car play compatible unit in your car? I saw my buddy do that for his xyz Japanese car not long ago, was only about $700

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MUzsLN99sE

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Are you only buying a new car to get car play? What other factors are driving throwing away your sweetheart financing deal and having a nearly paid off car, vs buying one at a huge financing cost

Can you retrofit a car play compatible unit in your car? I saw my buddy do that for his xyz Japanese car not long ago, was only about $700

How about $200?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070DMCPA7B/Dual-DMCPA70BT.html?tp=72381

You'll need about $150 in plug and play hardware. Install takes about 15 minutes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BigRoman posted:

I also heard you get a far worse trade in value if you try to trade in a different brand of car to the dealership (i.e. trading in a Hyundai for a Toyota.

this is not true and you should immediately ignore any advice you hear regarding car buying from whomever told you this

Dealers take your trade at some kind of negotiated value around market value, and they either sell your car from their own used car arm (this is good, they love doing this) or they dump it at auction, which is where most cars end up. Brand doesn't matter. A low mileage 2020 Elantra in good condition probably goes directly in to their used inventory.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Nitrox posted:

How about $200?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070DMCPA7B/Dual-DMCPA70BT.html?tp=72381

You'll need about $150 in plug and play hardware. Install takes about 15 minutes

And if you don't even want to fiddle with installing something. They have standalone units.

https://www.caranddriver.com/car-accessories/g44724883/best-apple-carplay-head-units/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

c355n4 posted:

And if you don't even want to fiddle with installing something. They have standalone units.

https://www.caranddriver.com/car-accessories/g44724883/best-apple-carplay-head-units/

Jesus poo poo, no. Those things need to be plugged into your cigarette lighter or USB power, and then you also need to run the audio cable to your existing head unit in order to utilize your car's speakers. Best case scenario, it's a mess of wires and awkwardness, because you have to reach for it on top of the dashboard to press buttons. Then there is an issue of unresponsive controls, incredibly slow screen refresh and bare minimum processing power. And since they're mostly built to be sold on Amazon or temu, it's a minimum effort assembly, that was never designed to last past 90 day warranty.

Not all of them are poo poo, but those drop ship units absolutely are. You can buy a properly designed unit with actual warranty from reputable manufacturer, but it ain't going to be $99.