Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
The spreadsheet is a great idea, I just started one for my car. It made me think of how my car has been over the last 2 years that I have owned it.

A big thing I would like to restate for the 3rd time or so in this thread is that maintenance is not just about money you spend to keep your car running smooth and reliable, its about safety. Saving a few dollars here and there can help keep your wallet filled, but it can also lead to loss of control of your car on the highway and then lead to a totaled car, injury, or death.

There was a news story the other day about people getting into accidents from buying cheap tires from some small mom and pop repair station that turned out to be either used when advertised as new, or new but had been sitting around for 20+ years to dry rot and whatnot. The same thing could happen if you keep driving on bald or rotting tires that you refuse to replace until absolutely necessary.

So weigh maintenance costs vs failure cost (both financially and safety-wise) if you skip the maintenance. Sometimes that $50 part doesn't look so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Point being, there is a trend in the manual. Follow that trend.