Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, speaking of the Prius, the last time I was car shopping, they were really holding onto their value still. Now I'm seeing plenty of 2007-2010 examples for $6-7000 or so in Wisconsin. Has the market really bottomed out on them?

For example

I can't tell if something like this is fishy or not. Not in the scammer sense, but in the too good to be true, something majorly wrong or potentially can go wrong is not being disclosed sense. On one hand, these are decade old vehicles already, on the other hand, the stereotype that the Prius is relatively bulletproof makes me think something in this range might be okay still.

The real question there is if you want to put $6k into a car that's seen ten years of salt. Your example has zero underbody pictures. When it gets to a ten year old car I'd start looking for a cheap beater (couple thousand) rather than putting that kind of money will be looking at brake line repairs, cat and muffler work, suspension, control arms and ball joints, etc. The remainder can be held aside for repairs as you need. I'd be dubious that any of the bulletproof claims about any make of car holds up once it starts getting soaked in salt for four months a year.

Granted, the engine battery and transmission on a Prius is likely to be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, Honda has gone all in on CVTs, but very specifically only on their smaller cars with four cylinders. Anything with a V6 they're buying high-gear-count boxes from ZF. I will say that having driven a 5-speed auto '13 CR-V nearly back to back with a CVT '14 Accord, the CVT is actually a much nicer driving experience. There are significant gaps in the ratios of the five speed where you can mat the throttle at slower highway speeds and you get *nothing* because there's not a good gear to kick down to, but you don't have the torque to pull the gear you're in.

Hybrids being described as CVT is still correct because the net effect of what they do is the same as a CVT in a conventional car - the ratio of engine speed to wheel speed is infinitely variable within a range. But they do it via some very neat trickery with the motor/generator units and the mechanical bits of the transmission operate on principles similar to that of an open differential - which is extremely simple and reliable.

Yeah I'm targeting a CR-V hybrid myself because the transmission and all the moving parts in the drive train are dirt simple. You've got a mostly series operation with a ICE motor running a generator at a fixed rpm so that it can run in it's efficient range, an electric motor running the drivetrain, and then a clutch that can put ICE motor power into the drivetrain at a fixed ratio at highway speeds. There's not a ton that moves around and can go wrong in the system and I'm hoping that translates into reliability over time. Toyota is a bit more complex but the real thing that's keeping me off a RAV4 is the rear axle cable corrosion issue, their hybrid system seems fine.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Bank posted:

Alright for my SUV replacement, I think I've narrowed down my choices to:

* Rav4 Hybrid
* CR-V Hybrid
* CX-5 and Outback are neck and neck. If I can't get the Rav4 or CR-V at MSRP I'll test drive these two and see what drives better. The prices are close enough where it shouldn't matter too much for me.

I hear the CX-5 engine is pretty mature and reliable, and I've heard Subarus have had a littered headgasket failure history, so maybe the Mazda will be the winner.

I'm really, really going to miss having the big Pilot though. We went to the snow so many times and it helped us huge on a recent move we did. I didn't even have to rent a truck, I literally just threw things into the trunk and mattresses on the top. I don't need such a big car on an on-going basis though, so it makes sense for us to downsize a bit.

You can get both the rav4 and cr-v at MSRP if you shop around, but you'll be waiting. I'm at the tail end of a three month wait for a CR-V, and from what I understand RAV4 is more like 6-8 months. Ymmv, local markets will vary. Both are generally only available in higher trims, more cost effective trims have longer waits.

Cons- CR-V doesn't have a spare tire, RAV4 has an ongoing issue with an out of warranty high voltage cable corrosion after 4-5 years if you're in a salty area.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jake Gittes posted:

I need a new vehicle. I think the universe is pointing towards a used 4Runner, but I figured I'd ask some internet ppl because maybe there's something I'm just not thinking about.

Proposed Budget: $30K (+/- $5K)
New or Used: idc.
Body Style: 4 door SUV/hatchback.
How will you be using the car?:

I have two young kids that both need car seats, and I work in construction.

My commute isn't huge, but I'm regularly driving in off-road conditions that require some ground clearance.

I'm also going to be wrenching kids in and out of this thing, so I'd like it to be a bit higher off the ground for the sake of my back. Plus I hunt and fish a lot; so I'm looking for some cargo capacity so I can haul a rife/shotgun/fishing rod/other murder weapon.

Do you need suggestions with only two car seats or is a three row slash more future car seat option preferable?

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I drove a newer Honda Hybrid Accord and had a ride in the Sport Hybrid CR-V. It's astonishing to me how insanely smooth and quiet newer entry model cars are these days along with all the electronic safety stuff but the kicker is so much it now works well with little latency and incredibly intuitive. Everything just works.

I kind of wonder... what's the point of Acura now but either way really good vehicles at an affordable-ish price.

I opted for a new gen hybrid CR-V last winter and it's fantastic. I have a few quibbles with it (cold weather mpg, fix a flat instead of spare, no 360° camera) but it feels extremely high quality, looks decent for a commodity car, and I like how simple the car is when you dive into it (ie no belt driven accessories, no alternator, the drive train has a couple clutches, two electric motors and a proven ICE) there's very little to go wrong with it. It's extremely quiet, comfortable to drive, has most of the tech integration I've been looking for and hasn't given me any issues in the last eight months.

The point of Acura is that's where they put the ventilated seats and moon roofs :/

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Twerk from Home posted:

It's going to give you the true exotic ownership experience, you can't put a price on that.

Isn't that price typically five digits/year?

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Proposed Budget: $20k-$30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan or small SUV/crossover/hatchback/whatever.
How will you be using the car?: Short daily commutes with young kids. Will probably take over family road trip duties from my 2013 Jetta.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) No, but lane assist, cruise control,e tc. is nice
What aspects are most important to you? Not too expensive to maintain.

We're car shopping this weekend and we need a second car. We've downgraded from wanting a van to just getting something new, cheap, and economical. The Subaru Crosstrek caught our eye and we have a family friend that really likes theirs. Are these pretty decent?

Other possibilities are the various cheaper Kia and Hyundai models, but the Crosstrek is currently winning based on appearances and friend recommendation.

While the new models of Kia are going to have immobilizers, I wouldn't expect people binging on tiktok to to be able to do much more than look ar the name plate, smash a window, gently caress up the steering column and then find out they can't jump it. I'd also have concerns about the long term reliability as well.

As stated, look at the Mazda mx-5. The lower trims of rav4 and cr-v should be in the upper end of your price range as well.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

dopesilly posted:

Need a car recommendation, or at least a few makes/years/models I should check out.

Proposed Budget: $20-$30K
New or Used: Interest rates are lower for new, used cars are pretty insanely expensive, so I'm not sure whether to go used or new.
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car?: I live in the northeast so hopefully AWD or FWD, will probably rideshare/delivery inbetween jobs with it, mostly daily driver.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG, reliability, comfort

I keep looking at used Rav4s and Rav4 hybrids, but the used prices for 2-3 year old models are almost identical to new 2023/2024 models. I previously owned Toyotas and Hondas and had very good experiences despite them being used cars, but I'm concerned about how expensive the used car market is these days. A used 2021-2023 Rav4 hybrid is going for like $30k near me, a new one is $32-35k...doesn't make much sense to me to go used?

I went with the cr-v hybrid instead of the rav4 hybrid primarily because of the high voltage corrosion issues that Toyota has been dealing with for the last few years- salt is getting into the cable and rotting it out and requiring replacement after a few years with a bill on the order of 5-7.5k iirc. While they're covering it under warranty for now it's a headache and a resale value killer I didn't want to deal with. If you're in the Northeast you probably have similar salt issues.

I've been very happy with the new model cr-v, btw, and make the same evaluation you did for new vs used (prices on used were even worse at the start of the year when I purchased it.)

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Calidus posted:

Let’s talk minivans, one is most likely in my future for 2024. I am tempted to write off Honda as they don’t offer AWD and Great Lakes control my weather. I did snow tires on a previous car and I don’t want mess with that on a family vehicle. Pacifica has been the gold standard but my brain just says Chrysler sucks when ever I think about owning one. Sienna seems like a giant Prius with a pair motors on back wheels for AWD.

I've driven fwd in Wisconsin for ages without any real issues. My folks had fwd minivans for like 25 years, and I learned to drive in the snow on a fwd Caravan. These were on generic all seasons and I've never been one to swap tires. I wouldn't get fixated on it as a requirement.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Is there even really a functional difference between what's called a station wagon in the US nowadays and the compact/subcompact cuv vehicles? Aside from like 3-6 inches of roof height maybe, they're all about the same dimensions. If you're looking at the outback you may as well start cross shopping cuvs as there's going to be a ton more variety.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

ethanol posted:

39-41k usd is roughly the price of a optioned up rav 4 hybrid. Not interested in paying more. Those sound like good options for a European tho lol.

I’ll nip any debate in the bud and say it has to be awd (or 4x4).

Tacoma in 4x4 is probably the best winter highway vehicle ive ever had but the gas mileage just blows.

Think mountain search and rescue but not the off-road part. Getting to and from home on road. And it can be wet slush.

I’m cognizant of the fact the rav4 awd is forward biased. The hybrid has a different drivetrain apparently. Can’t seem to find a lot of specifics on how it’s different from the gas version. Guessing it’s not all that different. I also vainly hope they’ve made improvements to how much slip it takes to actually send power since I drove one like 15 years ago

I’m sad to hear a new rav4 is coming in 2025. Maybe I need to wait a year to consider.

Edit: no Subaru because I’ve been badly burned by their reliability already

I skipped consideration of the RAV4 hybrid cause of the power cable corrosion issue. I'm in the salt belt and it feels like too much on a headache to deal with, even though Toyota has been bumping up the warranty on it due to the issues. Very happy with cr-v hybrid, though.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
If you're not looking specifically at hybrid you can probably include the Mazda mx-3/30s and mx-5/50s, and the Subaru Forester as well. I would have looked far more closely at those had they had a hybrid drive train for my purchase last year.

Edit: the smallest raised car in a lineup is usually the cheapest price point, including in the choices of what goes in it. That can come off with some undesirable trade offs in things like power for the weight, amenities, interior volume, etc. At least, that's how I read it.

Roseo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 2, 2024

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm a bit perplexed at "maybe considering a three row SUV" but the ones you've listed as prime candidates are all the second-smallest or smallest two-row crossovers their respective companies make. The CRV/CX5/RAV4 aren't cramped by any means but I also wouldn't call the back seat "roomy" in any of them. Four adults will put you in fairly close quarters. You'll definitely take a fuel economy hit but if rear seat and road trip comfort are priorities, I'd also be looking at the Highlander as already mentioned, or the Honda Passport/Pilot.

The cr-v has huge rear end back seats, they've got the same legroom as the front, the doors open wide, and it's easy as hell to get things in and out of there along with having a great storage area in the rear. It's one of the reasons I bought mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are the new ones bigger, because I never would have described the back seats of my 2013 CR-V as "huge rear end". Sufficient, sure, but at 6'4" anyone behind me meant I had to scoot forward at least a little. That was still far better than the Mazda3 it replaced because anyone behind me meant we were both intensely uncomfortable.

I still wish I hadn't sold that CR-V, in no small part because I probably couldn't buy one for less than 40% more than I sold mine for.

I don't think I've been in an older one but looking up specs shows that yeah they have. The 2013 shows 41"/38" front/rear seat legroom while the 6th gen has both at 41". I'm only average height so I've never really had a problem with rear seats but I'm used to them being pretty cramped regardless. When I've sat in the rear of mine that's not the case.