Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CornHolio posted:

and there isn't even an oil dipstick for you to check your oil.

What the gently caress? Do you just dump in a quart and pray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

skipdogg posted:

Why not? If you can afford it there's nothing wrong with buying a brand new car. The problem is people that can't afford brand new cars go out and buy them.

Everyone here in BFC acts like everyone should have 100 dollar a month food budgets, live off of rice and beans, and drive 1988 beater Honda Civics.

We've yet to see someone who can afford one. Everyone who's told the above needs it.

And leasing is NOT 'being able to afford' a new car.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Reposting this from the zuarg thread because it belongs here.

Dave Ramsey posted:

A car lease is basically renting a car. You pay $400 a month and at the end of the new car lease, you turn it back in. If you want to buy it, you are buying it for what they estimate at the beginning of the lease to be the market value. At the end of the lease, it’s called the residual value. If you pay $400 a month for 60 months, you pay $24,000 before turning it in. The car will not have gone down in value more than that, because the car companies would lose money if it did. When they get the car back, you will have paid them more than the car has depreciated during that time.

During that time, you’re maintaining the car as if you owned it. You’ll get charged for excessive wear and tear, or if you put too many miles on it. If you rent it for $24,000 and it went down $15,000 in value, then it cost me $9,000 to rent this car for this period of time. That is their profit during that time.

Another thing is that the interest rates on a vehicle lease are not disclosed because the Federal Trade Commission has determined that this is not a debt, so there is no federal disclosure involved. Therefore, you have no truth in lending disclosure sheet. The interest rates you get charged are unbelievably high. That’s where you’ll realize you got screwed over.

People get sold automobile leases because they are told that it’s what sophisticated people do. But as it turns out, the car companies make more money on leasing you the car than if you bought the car with cash, according to the National Auto Dealers Association. Broke people think ‘how much down and how much a month’. Rich people think ‘how much’. If you can’t pay cash for a car, then ride a bicycle. But don’t lease a car.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I know nothing about cars, to preempt everyone calling me stupid.

I have been browsing local Craigslist (near Philadelphia) & local dealers for cars in the 5-6k range, and found the following.

06 Subaru Impreza Wagon, 150k miles, $5900
04 BMW 325xi, 164k miles, $5700
08 Saturn Vue, 79k miles, $5450
03 Mercedes CLK320, 138k miles, $4800
04 Mercedes E320, 140k miles, $4600

Do any of these stand out as a blatant do/don't buy? I have a feeling I know the answer (buy the Subaru or the Saturn), but a very nice looking luxury car for under 6k is appealing to me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

No Germans.

Saturn sold.

I'm thinking about this Prius, it seems like the best deal locally: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5407273831.html

Alternate: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5396062014.html
Cons: More mileage, $1500 more
Pros: Fully loaded, etc etc

It looks like the mileage for every '08+ Prius locally is 100k+. How much of an issue is that going to be on a Prius?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 24, 2016

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EDIT: Looking through the carfax, the title bounced around a bit and it's kinda suspicious, I'm out for now, nevermind. Might have been flooded during Sandy, based on location and dates. Thanks to everyone on your thoughts though.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thoughts on an '04 Mazda3 s Hatchback @ 114k mi from a reliability/maintenance standpoint?