Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katzinator
Apr 20, 2007
This food is making you crazy
Proposed Budget: $18,000 - $28,000ish

New or Used: New or recently used (preferably no earlier than 2009ish)

Body Style: 2 door, 4 seat coupe

How will you be using the car?: It'll be my primary driver to and from work in Los Angeles (where I'll be living pretty close to the office) as well as my transportation for weekend cruising/dates/trips/etc. Plus, ahem, LA traffic. I'm basically looking for something somewhat fun to drive that is comfortable and won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

I was initially swooned by the FRS/BRZ, but upon reading that their interior offerings aren't the hottest I'm a bit turned off. Having comfortable seating, non-chintzy interior, and good premium stereo options are a pretty big concern (aftermarket stereos are a possibility, but I'd really like to avoid that headache if possible). Frivolous gizmos like rear-parking cameras, heated seats, and the like really don't excite me and I typically view them as something I'd hardly appreciate, let alone want to pay $$$ for.

What aspects are most important to you? First off, reliability is a big concern of mine. I first was looking at all sorts of tasty BMW 3s, Audi A4s, etc. until I read that reliability and repair costs can be a big problem. Thus, I've pretty much been ignoring most European offerings (that is, unless someone can convince me that my fears are unfounded and/or some exceptions can be had).

As petty and superficial as it is, American vehicles are off the list based on their styling and public perception.

As a result, I've been primarily focused on Japanese/Korean brands. The 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium and a 2010-ish Infiniti G37 Journey Coupe are my current top contenders.

As it stands, it sounds like both vehicles can be had for around $26,000 (per what I've gleaned from AutoTrader and TrueCar). At this point I want to know if there are any other options I should be seriously considering or if the G37 would be a much smarter buy given that it is used. Also, if there are some overlooked steals to be had at closer to the $20,000 mark that'll leave me with $6,000 to blow on a bitchin stereo and/or beer, all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katzinator
Apr 20, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Are you looking for a manual or automatic? If you want a stick, it'll be harder to find them used. New you can get whatever you want.

How critical are rear seats, and how often will they be used? The Genesis and the G37 rear seats are a disaster. I am 10 times happier in the back of a Mustang than in the back of a Genesis or G37 after being stuck in the back of each of them for more than an hour. I can sit like a human being in the back of a Mustang with my head and neck straight up.

I'm going to agree with Phone that your shortlist that strictly meets your needs should be the Acura TSX and Infiniti G37. If you're willing to consider 4-door cars, 2-seater cars, or American cars there are way more interesting options.

Agh, I should have specified that I'll be needing an automatic given LA traffic's horrendous reputation.

While having back seats are a bit of a must, they likely won't be used very often at all. I'm 6'1" and indeed found the back seats of the Genesis Coupe to be pretty much unusable when I tried to sit back there. That said, my significantly shorter female friend said she was perfectly okay sitting in the rear. While I have yet to test drive a G37 coupe, I assume it'll be roughly the same story. As loving awesome as many of the two-seater cars are out there (Miata, 370Z, I'm looking at you), I feel like having the extra couple of seats, as uncomfortable as they may be, would be a lifesaver when in a pinch.

I've been recently going back and scoping out some of the sportier 4-door options to put things in perspective, but I'm still leaning toward the coupe idea simply because this will pretty much be my one time to own a more "fun" car in my oh-so-poetically-fleeting youth. Still, I appreciate the Mazda-6 suggestion and will take a look into it.

katzinator
Apr 20, 2007

Weinertron posted:

If you want a fun 4-seater coupe, your best bet really is a Mustang GT. I know you may have some preconceptions about American cars, but at least go take a quick drive in one. It really is the most fun you're going to have in a 4-seater car with an automatic transmission. 390 ft*lb of torque in a V8 that loves to rev.

Other than that, you've really picked the best in class in the narrow category you're looking at with the G37 and Genesis Coupe. For what it's worth, a close friend of mine drove a G37 IPL for a year and hated it before trading it in for a Genesis Coupe GT, with the 3.8 and 8 speed auto. He insists that the $20k cheaper Gencoupe is the better car, overall more fun to drive.

Duly noted. I fully understand that the American automakers have been caught up in performance for some while now, but it is mostly the styling that I strongly dislike about their vehicles. Still, I really value your input on this and will give it some more consideration.

The anecdote about the G37/GC is definitely the kind of stuff I'm looking for. It makes considerable sense to me that a "hungry" automaker like Hyundai trying to prove themselves in the US market would put out the best drat "bang for the buck" car they can at this point in time.

katzinator
Apr 20, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

If you must have a two door coupe that is Japanese the accord coupe is a pretty solid car. I wouldn't take it over a mustang considering they are priced rather similarly but oh well. There's also the Altima coupe and the Mitsubishi eclipse but the accord is probably the pick of that particular litter.

I drove the EX-L the other week. It was pretty comfy and didn't look half bad, but wasn't nearly as sporty as the Genesis. While I should've tried the V6 version, I have a hard time with the $30k price tag on a plain-Jane Accord.