Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Proposed Budget:$50k-$60k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 2 door or 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Mostly a fun daily driver to work (20 min). Maybe some fun driving on the weekend. But no track driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. Moderate maintenance costs. Performance.

I'm mainly trying to decide between the Honda Civic Si and the Type R. This will be my first sports car. I'm excited by the Type R, but I'm worried about maintenance costs and it may be more car than I need since I'm not going to track it. In either case should I stick to new only. To avoid thrashed trade-ins?

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there a particular trim level of Miata I need to look at?

I don't necessarily need a back seat I'm just a bit of a Honda fan boy. I'll definitely try a Miata out. Thanks for the advice.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Godzilla07 posted:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, consider a 2018+ Ford Mustang GT. The Mustang is an easy car to live with every day, it's still quite competent on a winding back road if you have those where you live, and I'd take its V8 any day over a turbo-4.

2016+ Chevy Camaro SS is a better fun car but sucks so goddamn much to live with every day. 2015-17 Mustangs will be cheaper but the A/C compressor is prone to fail on those cars.

I'll go check one of those out. Thank you.

ethanol posted:

op are you planning on keeping the car for longer than 3 years?

Whoops missed this. Yes I intend to keep it for many years.

Travic fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 21, 2023

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I'm very new to all this. I'll look into as many of those as I can. One last thing. How wary should I be of used sports cars? I'm worried about getting something someone leased, thrashed around the track a bunch, then returned.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok cool. I feel better now. Thanks.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
What is the forum's opinion on CarMax? I'm thinking about getting a Civic Type R in the future, but dealerships wont let me test drive one. Everyone tells me to go to CarMax because I can test drive theirs. And the one near me seems to have a good one. Should I just wait until a dealership has one and skip the test drive? I know very little about CarMax and their quality.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok cool. Here is the car. Does this seem like a good deal? They're offering it for less than a dealer would with mark-up. I love it aside from the alcantara steering wheel. Which I assume can be swapped out?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok cool. Thanks. I'll head up there later today.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man I would not buy a Type R from CarMax. CarMax is for buying commodity cars.You got no idea on the car's history and the type of person to unload a low mileage Type R to Carmax is, to put it politely, likely a loving idiot of a PO. You're not saving much money. You test drove the car at CarMax and liked it. Now go to your local Honda dealer and buy a brand new Type R from them.

edit: sounds like you did not in fact test drive the car (i kind of assumed from the alcantara wheel comment) - go test drive that car but under no circumstances should you buy it

Understood. That's kind of what I was afraid of. I saw the steering wheel on some of the pictures CarMax took of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well that was awe-inspiring. Did the test drive earlier today and yeah, that thing is fun. Wildly fun. I definitely need to look into getting one.