Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

notMordecai posted:

Figured! Wish me luck. :negative:

This is kind of important because if I can't get this car I will have to drop out of this internship. :smith:

I don't know what other bills you have, but as other people have pointed out, if you can save up 1000 to 2000 dollars, you can probably get a fairly reliable beater on craigslist. Early 90s Honda Accords are always a good bet: they are incredibly common, run forever with almost no maintenance, and tend to be pretty cheap because they're not particularly powerful and the paintjobs tend to fade.

I spent $2000 on mine in December of 2007; it had 189k miles on it, a newish timing belt, and decent tires. It now has 220k on it, and the only significant money I've had to spend on it was replacing the exhaust to pass state inspection, as well as new tires last week.

Other than that, I've driven the hell out of it with daily short commutes to and from work and school, and so far it hasn't taken a crap on me. I've done the brakes and oil and so forth, and it shakes and rattles, but it still rolls and probably will for another 40k miles. If you can find one for about $1500 that has decent tires, an owner that can tell you when the oil was last changed, and goes around the block without smoking or grinding, you can probably count on it getting you through at least your internship.

The one caveat is the timing belt. The F22 engine that comes standard in early 90s Accords IS an interference engine, so if the timing belt snaps it will cost more than the car is worth to fix the massive engine damage. Timing belts are supposed to be done every 90k, so if the seller can't tell you when it was last done, stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU