Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm exploring the option of getting a new car as Covid hasn't really affected my income, and may provide an opportunity to move up a couple vehicle segments. At the moment I have a Fiesta ST that I owe about $5k on and I will be perfectly happy with it if I decide not to get a new car.

My question is this. What do you think is the absolute minimum I could conceivably pay for a Kia Stinger GT1 or GT2? Anything from 2018 CPO to new. It seems like between a recession, nobody wanting to pay $50k for something with a Kia badge, and stock sitting on dealer lots there's a deal to be swung here. Somewhere else I was hearing about people using the crazy lease offers they're throwing out, then immediately paying it off or something like that but when it comes to complicated car haggling my eyes glaze over and I need to take a nap.

Like I said, I'm not really in any hurry to get a new car, but if the confluence of events means I can get a powerful luxury grand tourer for Camry money, I just might jump at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

I just wish Ford made anything I remotely want anymore. If they had brought the new generation Fiesta ST to the US I would trade mine in for one in a heartbeat.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Just how terrible of an idea is the Alfa Romeo Giulia? The 4 cylinder not the 6. There's a lot of them with very few miles available. I keep hearing they have reliability problems but most of the data I see says they aren't really any worse now than the other non-japanese import luxury brands and the reputation is a carryover from old alphas.

My car brain sees trouble, but my car dick sees a near-new Italian sports sedan for $25k.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The first gen Xb is in my opinion the best city car ever made. When I have a place with a garage I want to buy one that hasn't been hosed with just to keep it in existence.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Digital dashboards are not only good, they are rad as gently caress. Particularly ones from the 80s and 90s

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

One specific concern about manual Honda Elements. If you are a tall or particularly long-legged person the driving position is terrible. I test drove one and the extreme angle I had to keep my left ankle at had it sore by the end of a very short loop of city and highway driving.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

KillHour posted:

I've definitely done knee steering while holding a coffee and shifting.

My dad used to steer with his knees, both hands eating a sandwich, and had 7 year old me shift gears while he worked the clutch.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

If Toyota ever makes a hot hatch prius, taking the same approach as the P1, 918, and La Ferrari but at hot hatch power levels I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Believe me I have been lusting after the GR Yaris since it was announced. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of an ocean to buy it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The USA is going to get a GR Corolla.

That's the rumor, but i have serious doubts it's going to be as insane of a bespoke rally car as the Yaris is. I'm still cautiously optimistic that it will be good though.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

How dumb of an idea is buying a BMW 135i in good condition, driving it for a couple years, and selling it before it becomes a pile of expensive german metal?

Edit: the 2011-2013 model for the less explodey engine.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 1, 2021

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I currently drive a Fiesta ST and I'm being pulled in two directions. I've been camping and gardening and building more and find myself lacking space in my vehicle. Additionally I have a bit longer commute now on worse roads and the unadjustable sport suspension is starting to wear on me. Also I find I have adapted to the sportiness of the ST as my new baseline and I want more.

Currently the only vehicle that satisfies my desire of "more of everything" is the Golf R, which is not outside of my price range but maybe it's time to be a two-car person.

I have a pretty good idea of the "fun" car that I want, but I'm sort of spoiled for choice for a daily and would like some suggestions.

What I'm looking for: Wagon or Crossover, prefer a wagon because I'm a stick in the mud.

New or used: Used

Price: $10k-$15k

I'm looking for something with enough power that I can manage a short merge or pass a slowpoke on a two-lane road, not-terrible fuel economy, a reasonable chance of getting close to 200k miles without making GBS threads itself completely, a good cargo area behind the rear seat, room for four adults, and a rear seat that folds perfectly flat. Bonus points if that folded flat rear seat area is long enough for a 6'3" person to sleep in the back in a pinch.

A brief look at what's on the market shows me The Prius V, Mazda 5, Golf Sportwagen, Scion xB second gen, and various Subarus.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a no-brainer choice in this range that I am overlooking because of my corssover prejudice?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The whole point is this is just a daily driver, I'm not expecting, nor do I really want FiST level performance, just enough that I don't feel unsafe on a short merge and I can keep up freeway speeds on a long hill. Looking for a pure functional appliance vehicle but as I've previously been looking at hot hatches and performance cars I don't really know what's up in the segment.

It's the boring car that starts every morning and can take me and friends camping so I'm free to have something bonkers and impractical and unreliable as a fun car.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 19, 2021

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

All this talk about the SHO and how cool it is had me looking at them, and all I could think is "man that's awesome, but I really need a wagon, I wish they made one"

Turns out they do! The Flex AWD with the Ecoboost is essentially a Taurus SHO wagon.

Currently seriously shopping them.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

KillHour posted:

It's available in both manual and automatic, but you're basically a monster if you don't get it with 3 pedals.

A computer controlled AWD car like the Golf R is noticably faster with the dual clutch, and Volkswagen manual transmissions are pretty poo poo as far as feel and feedback.

Also radar cruise control is life-changing on long trips and you need an auto for that to work.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

nm posted:

If you're buying a car with 100hp, for the love of God, don't buy the auto.
Signed, a mazda2 5mt owner

Not 100hp, but the exception to the rule was my Scion tC which had an absurdly low final drive ratio on the manual. It was not anemic but it would normally be doing 4k RPMs at normal freeway cruising speeds.

Toyota has to be the exception to the "never buy a first model year car" rule. Whenever they enter a new market segment they tend to over-engineer that car. My tC was the best dollar value I've ever had in a car, aside from the gearing issue.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

It has been a while since I've been in the market for a new car. And longer since I've been in the market for an in-demand new car.

How much, realistically, will I be looking at paying over MSRP for a Civic Type R once they release the new one?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Dieselgate politics aside, how reliable are the final generation VW diesels? I'm thinking of getting a fairly boring but comfortable wagon that will run until the expanding sun swallows the earth. My dad's 2001 TDI Jetta has run like a clock with fairly minimal work to over 200k miles but I understand the dieselgate models have a much more complicated emissions system.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

I'm escaping the Fiesta transmission problems because manual, but everyone complains about the blend door actuator failure - maybe it was addressed in 2019? Maybe not? It's out of warranty anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuENktnNelc&t=25s

THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK

This is a serious problem. I have a 2015 and the actuator has failed twice. The first time it was thankfully under warranty, this latest time not so much.

It has actually spread, since now once the blend door actuator finally shuts up after I start the car some second actuator starts making a similar noise in another part of the dash.

It's really pathetic that Ford hasn't figured out how to do this. Blend door failure was a known issue on my '96 Towncar and it seems like 20 years wasn't enough time for them to figure it out.

It wouldn't be a big problem if it wasn't such a pain in the dick to get to it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

So since I'm great at making financially sound decisions I am buying a BMW 135i with 57k miles on it.

They are offering me a 5 year 60k mile warranty through Veritas for $4.7k. Normally I would just say no thanks and carry on but this is my first foray into BMW ownership and I wanted to ask the internet if it was actually a good idea.

I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but I wanted to check.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, gonna do what Nancy Reagan said and just say no. Felt like I should run it by the internet first though.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

God I loved my Scion. Best car purchase experience I've ever had.

Said I wanted a tC in grey with a manual and airbags, they said it would be about 3 months. About 3 months later I walked in and bought it for the exact price on the label, like groceries.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I'm a sucker for second row captains' chairs. I don't know that I've used the middle seat in the past decade if not more.

If I didn't already have too many vehicles I would absolutely daily that sex machine. Nobody should listen to my advice though, it is terrible.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I need to sell a car (2015 Volkswagen E-Golf) in a market uniquely terrible to sell it in (remote coastal California, Crescent City) so my logical solution is to sell it to one of the online dealerships that will pick it up with a tow truck.

The wrinkle is I live about a 7.5 hour drive away and would prefer to not have to be there when it gets picked up. I will soon have the title in my name, and I live in a large metro area (Sacramento CA).

Do any of the online car buying companies have local offices where I can present my documents or some alternative process where I can be vetted then appoint and agent to do the handoff?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The number one thing I like about a manual is the instant response between throttle and wheels. Rowing my own gears and manual clutch control is secondary. Modern premium automatics are good enough about the former that I am willing to trade the enjoyment of the latter for convenience in a daily driver.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I just want to chime in to remind you that the N variant is a version with performance pretensions and will have stiffer suspension. There may be other adjustments that your mom may or may not appreciate. It's best to test drive to make sure

N line is an appearance and options package, N is the performance variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

BigRoman posted:

1. I keep hearing people say that my Hyundai is a ticking time bomb with regards to potential car troubles in the future. I figured if I could get a high re-sale/trade in value for a Honda or Toyota, it might be a good idea to do so now (i.e. have a larger lump sum paid into a more reliable car). The idea was to effectively extend the loan for a few more years for a slightly better/more reliable car (I was just thinking about this and haven't gone to any dealers to see if the math would work).

2. Honestly, the only feature that is missing that irks me is the lack of integrated navigation in the infotainment console.

I never considered just paying someone to modify my car. Also I figure if I only average 3k miles a year, it may take many years until I see any mechanical issues (if any do arise). I think I just wanted to run this idea with people who know more about cars and see if it was terrible or not.

With your driving habits and needs it absolutely makes sense to keep your car. It's honestly hard to find an unreliable car these days.

As others have said there are a ton of ways to add carplay into your car, but another option is a high quality, permanently installed magsafe phone mount. I don't mean anything that clips on a vent, has a suction cup, or fits in a cupholder but one that is designed to bolt in and is formed to the trim pieces of your car.

Whatever the case even the most expensive aftermarket head unit will cost less than the costs of trading in your car.