Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

Throatwarbler posted:

Repost from AI.

TL;DR - Leasing a car is always better than buying a car. Plenty of people seem to have objections to this but none of them seem to be able to put numbers on paper or otherwise show a scenario where I am wrong.

I guess that the only comment I'd have regarding this is that if you're going to have car payments either way, they you're at least somewhat right. The one area where this can come back to bite you is if your lease agreement has condition restrictions (fewer than X miles, no scratches etc.) since the penalty fines for these terms can be somewhat high and can directly hurt your bottom line, making the deal far less favorable.

I'd also point out that if you buy your car outright, new or used, you will end up with a better deal than if you do any sort of payment option since you will not have the interest working against you. You do need to factor for the opportunity cost of having the money tied up, but that would need to be weighed on a case-by-case basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

The best part is that the show pays the judgement, and both parties get free airfare, hotel, and per diem.

I seem to remember reading that the way the show worked was that there was a pool of money (Judy was $5000) that was going to be split between the two sides, but only after the judgment was paid out of it. So if both parties showed up and shrugged, they'd each get $2500, but if one got a $4000 dollar judgment, then he would get $4500 ($4000 and 1/2 of the remaining $1000) and the other would get $500 (the other half). Because of that you would still want to "win" the case in spite of the fact that no one actually had to pay anything. This also explains why the defendant always counter sued the plaintiff - can't win if you don't play.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Might have been too cleaver with my wording. My point is that people will cry when they have to buy a gallon of gas for $3.50, but as it turns out, gas is the cheapest liquid that a gas station sells. However no one minds when they pay $1.49 for 12 fluid ounces of their favorite beverage.

Hell, that's nothing. Check this out: http://www.cockeyed.com/science/gallon/liquid.html

Highlights:
Water is basically free/gallon out of the tap. Make it Evian and it's $6.40. Red Bull is $30.69, Liquid Paper is $198.40, Black Printer Ink is $2701.52, and at the top of the list is Scorpion Venom at $38,858,507.46.

Funny how crazy the prices get when they get put in perspective.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Honestly, have you considered keeping your current truck and just buying a car? Dedicate the truck to work (which makes it cheaper for upkeep, since you can stop caring about bodywork etc.), and get a car that's a few years old. The great mileage you want will be easy with a car, ditto the 2-3 years old sweet spot on price, and since you're used to driving trucks even the tiniest sedan will have more room than you're used to.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Most of what you listed as pros are hopefully not something that you'll be dealing with on a regular basis - car needs fixing/replacing daily driver, etc. - so it comes down to the question of how often you need to haul things (though I grant you seem to do more maintenance on your cars than most pit crews). If you're really renting trucks often for moving stuff and this will truly save you money, go ahead. If, however, you're getting by with what you've got and it removes some of the inconvenience factor, you're spending money for a want, not a need, and I'd keep focusing on debt until you got that under control.

I admit, even if you don't move big stuff often, the 1 or 2 times/year that it would be nice to have a truck/suv does weigh on my mind, but people tend to overemphasize the rare occasions. Especially since you seem to like working on your cars to the point that it dominates most of your posts, giving you an additional vehicle to fix all the time seems to be inviting extra expenditures beyond the cost of the vehicle itself. I wouldn't do it without hearing some darn good reasons as to why you need to haul things regularly.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

as long as it runs

This being the operative point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Man, that's crazy. Change the subforum title to Business, Finance, and Careers - DO NEVER COSIGN.

Fixed that for you - why keep it limited to the cars thread?

As for the grandfather, would it be possible for his kids to step in and intervene on behalf of their daughter? Maybe no one person has 12 grand lying around, but perhaps they could collectively come up with it.