Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a friend who wants to buy a 2008 Saturn Astra with 86k on it.

The dealer wants ~4900, and she's asking me if it's okay for her to buy it. I don't know a ton (read: anything) about those cars. I'm probably going to go with her to look it over, but is there anything in particular I should watch out for? Is there anything about this that just screams terrible idea?

This is in Buffalo, if it makes a difference.

Edit: This one, specifically.

http://www.paddockchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2008-Saturn-Astra-3dr_HB_XR-Kenmore-NY/2614854763

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Wow, we found someone who thinks the new mazda3 is ugly.

I could do without the weird chrome thing it has around the grille, but I agree; it's a really nice looking car. Especially since we're talking about someone coming from a loving Prius. HondaCivet appears to be on drugs.

How about a Veloster Turbo?

Comedy option: Get this and lower it a couple inches.

http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-amg/gla45-4matic

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 17, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, AWD is going to severely limit what you can get in your price range for very little benefit. Snow tires are the way to go here.

Also, stop breaking your cars. Are you Das Volk's wife?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Have people tried to buy an SUV without AWD?The theory of why you don't need it is fine, but finding a non base model without it is impossible on a lot of the brands.

Except she said she would be fine with a hatch. Hatches are a lot cheaper than SUVs, if only because of market segmentation. I'd also recommend looking at a wagon, if anyone bothered making those any more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm trying to imagine a situation that would require replacing an entire engine harness, and I'm coming up blank. I could see a pinched wire or loose connector causing electrical problems, but why wouldn't you just fix that specific wire? Also, LOL if you think a bundle of wires literally costs the dealer a quarter of what the entire car sells for new.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

FYI, if you complained about the issue and they didn't fix it on first attempt and meanwhile you cross 60k, it is still under warranty.

This is also true. It's when the problem occurs, not when they fix it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

a worthy uhh posted:

I know nothing about cars, to preempt everyone calling me stupid.

I have been browsing local Craigslist (near Philadelphia) & local dealers for cars in the 5-6k range, and found the following.

06 Subaru Impreza Wagon, 150k miles, $5900
04 BMW 325xi, 164k miles, $5700
08 Saturn Vue, 79k miles, $5450
03 Mercedes CLK320, 138k miles, $4800
04 Mercedes E320, 140k miles, $4600

Do any of these stand out as a blatant do/don't buy? I have a feeling I know the answer (buy the Subaru or the Saturn), but a very nice looking luxury car for under 6k is appealing to me.

Don't buy a German car out of warranty.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Does this mean I can get a quoted price for (as an example) a 2016 Honda Fit new, get to the financing portion, see what the dealership has to offer (and from who), then say "You know what, I'm gonna sleep on it" and then go talk to the banks directly? Or is it a matter of knowing what bank the dealership would use to secure financing before getting to that point?

You get preapproved by your bank of choice for [amount], then you negotiate price with dealer for less than [amount]. Once the dealer agrees, you let them know that you have your own financing.

If you have good credit, I recommend credit unions. My credit union regularly goes as low as 0.99% on new cars. I once saw 0.49%.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Alright guys, I don't remember if I've asked this before but I'm asking again.

I'm going to be (hopefully in the next year) getting a new car. My current car is a 2000 BMW 540i that will be hitting 200k this month. I don't see it not starting to be expensive. It already needs several thousand dollars in work (nothing major, just a full suspension refresh, a clutch soon, tires, some other odds and ends) and I'm ready to get something made significantly newer.

I've kinda settled on a 2015+ Dodge Challenger. I want something with a useable backseat, good power, a manual transmission and modern conveniences like a backup camera and satellite radio. The Challenger seems to have everything I need and I can get it with nothing I don't (radar assist, lane departure warning, etc). The one I've specced out is about $36k. I've driven one with almost exactly the specs I'd get and while I feel the heft and don't like the visibility, I enjoyed it.

My problem becomes, what else could I be looking at, new or used, for that kind of money? New I don't really see anything to compare it to, but used, I could look at a BMW 135i (smaller but ticks a lot of the same boxes, doesn't have the nice Uconnect system the Dodge does). I really like the new Mustangs and could get a lot of car (and like Fords, my wife has a newer Focus and it's really super) but the backseat is unuseable even for my kids.

I'd get a used Challenger, but in 2015 they updated the interior and went from utter garbage to really loving nice (in my opinion). I'd get a Charger but they're not available with a manual and don't look nearly as good anyway.

Ideas?

Focus RS. :getin:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How flexible is your budget?

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-E/model-E63S4S

Edit: There's also the boring, non AMG version. But who would want that?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No stick shift from MB.

DCT is better. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stinger GT. Get the red interior.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Save the other $32k for Gokarts or a dirtbike or something actually fun instead of sitting in traffic in an unreliable Audi.

Why sit in traffic when you can go around?

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2018-Ducati-1299-Panigale-R-Final-Edition-5002013501

Or if you insist on sitting in traffic, do it in a $200k super car.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=500339795

Edit: All joking aside, the Genesis G70 is a great alternative to the Stinger that I forgot about. I'd have considered it if it was out when I got mine. Has less on the hood, though - you can easily get into a GT-2 with all the goodies for around 40k if you haggle.

A scat pack would be fun, but even the R/T feels too heavy to throw around and I really don't find chargers very comfortable/luxurious.

I had the Infiniti Q50 (300hp version) as a rental and I wasn't impressed. It still felt like a Nissan and didn't even have Android auto or heated seats standard. :cmon:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 17, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

I gotta say I am suprised you found the Accord v6 disappointing, its a great car. If a top of the line non-luxury car doesn't do it for you, I guess you are going to have to go either super american muscle and get a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, otherwise you should be shopping a Benz C Class or Audi A6 or BMW if you want to go the luxury route.

Because yeah, Accord v6 and similiar is some of the best "normal" cars out there.

That's a bit dismissive. The V6 hasn't been available since the 2017 model year, anyways. I'm not surprised a sub-300hp FWD full-size sedan didn't set their world on fire for 35 grand. I wouldn't be interested in one either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a rental Mustang right now, and they only look good on the outside.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the giant illuminated three pointed stars on MB current fronts are tacky and gross

People pay EXTRA for that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone posted:

Ford F Stripped Chassis

I would drive the absolute poo poo out of this.

Also, cars today look way better than they did in the 90s or 00s, and better than the regular (not sport or luxury cars) of the 70s or 80s.

Is this beautiful? No. But it's better than any of these

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 22, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

silence_kit posted:

No way, this is totally backwards. The 80's and 90's Corolla images you are showing are much better looking cars than the 00's and recent Corollas. The 80's Corolla IMO is a really nice-looking car.

You're so wrong that I refuse to believe you are a functioning human being. You probably put ranch on your wings.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This winter, I had my SO help me install the wheels so she could learn how to do it. The very first thing she did was try to roll the wheel and it fell over on its face and curbed the everliving gently caress out of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inshallah

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

The Flex seems cool but I was honestly surprised to see Ford is still selling a 2019 model. The platform must be old as hell. I'll be very surprised if they don't cut it in 2020 without a redesign.

That's a 2019.

That's the same interior the Taurus and a lot of Lincolns had. They consider it "upscale."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The point is that they're gonna pay for those tires one way or another. It's generally cheaper if they buy the tires before trading in the car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crooked Booty posted:

Is this still true even when the car isn’t worth much? I got a Carmax appraisal a few months ago for $2000 for my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. It has some issues and definitely needs new tires, but they didn’t mention the tires to me. I’m finally about to sell it to either Carmax or as a trade-in to a dealer. Should I get new tires?

They need to have legal tires on it to sell the car. You can get some lightly used ones for <$100 a piece and it should be fine, as long as they all match.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How long will the car sit without being driven?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope you can park the car inside. Florida humidity and months of sitting at a time sounds like a great recipe for your brake rotors needing to be replaced every 6 months.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You could get a Kia Stinger premium around that price if you don't spring for the bigger engine. Don't test drive the one with the bigger engine though because then you won't be able to go back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

big car though, 190"

I mean, 4 actually usable seats and a hatch kind of tie your hands on that. At least it's got all the safety stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

4 adults fit into civic/corolla/mazda3 just fine. No need to go landbarge size unless you a fat gently caress

How are those any different from the GTI he has now?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

My wife's friend just had her old car - a Pontiac Vibe - totaled by her mother while they were on vacation. They were given a Nissan Rogue as a rental by their insurance company, and decided, without trying ANY other cars, that they liked it so much they went out and bought a 2019 Rogue. The only other car they were willing to consider, but never actually looked at was a GMC Terrain.

So, if you wondered how there were so many Rogues on the road, this is apparently how it happens.

The literal only situation in which a Rogue is an upgrade from the previous car. Before the Vibe, did she drive a unicycle?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

PRICE ANALYSIS

GOOD DEAL
$2,950
Dealer's Price

CarGurus IMV
$4,200
Due to Texas Department of Motor Vehicle regulations CarGurus is unable to show the CarGurus IMV for this car

Does anyone know what the hell is up with this? Why would DMV regulations have anything to do with showing an estimated value? And you DID show a value - just slightly blurry but completely readable (and copyable).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Pretty funny that it's still readable, please post a link :)

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=227853238

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not the strength. It's triangulating the distance and direction.

If you leave the keys in the car, it won't let you lock it from the outside, for instance.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 20, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate renting cars without keyless entry. I'm so used to leaving the keys in my pocket I can never go back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No way, those are cool. Especially when they stuffed the GT-R engine in it for fun. Manufacturers committing to crazy car ideas is always cool.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Proposed Budget: $100k, give or take

New or Used: Either

Body Style: 2 door. Convertible preferred but not necessary.

How will you be using the car?: Weekend/summer driving car. I have a Focus RS for the track and a Stinger GT for daily duties and I want something I can cruise around and feel like a badass in.

What aspects are most important to you?

1. Exhaust note
2. Super car feel / exclusivity
3. Powah
4. Luxury
5. If it's a new car from a not-Italian Marquis, Android Auto (sorry BMW)
Bonus: V12 :swoon:

Unfortunately, I'm in Buffalo, so it's not like I can walk into my local supercar dealership and ask to test drive their CPO Ferraris.

Cars I've considered:

New:
AMG C63s Cabriolet
AMG GT
Audi RS3

Used:
AMG E63s
AMG SL65
Audi R8 V10
Lamborghini Gallardo
Ferrari F430
McLaren MP4-12C
Aston Martin DB9/DBS

I haven't really been considering Porsche, just because I'm not really into them. I feel like if I owned a Porsche, I'd have to be a Porsche guy and hang out with other Porsche guys.

The local Mercedes dealership has a 2016 Aston Martin DB9 GT Volante with 4k miles in immaculate condition that they want 108k for. It's even still under factory warranty for the next few months. Seems like an insane deal, but I wanted some other opinions before dropping that much cash.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

Lol. As soon as I read what you were going for with having a 3rd car that was pure fun I was thinking "this guy should 100% buy a porsche".

But if you don't get them, its a giant waste. Maybe try to rent one for a week? They are amazing driving cars. More so than benz/bmw when they are sorta in the same price range. Lambo/Ferrari (unless classic restoration) are for literal billionaires/celebrities and are just status symbols anyways.

But yeah, Porsche is probably the best choice for a third car for just a fun driver. But if you hate Porsche, buy an AMG benz.

I really just don't "get" Porsches. They all look the same, from the $80k ones to the $800k ones and there are plenty of Porsches around here so they aren't special or rare and only huge car nerds know the difference between a Carrera and a GT2RS. I have plenty of car nerds asking about my other cars and I don't need another practical sleeper. I also don't really want a track weapon car. If I want to take a car to the track, I'll take the RS and it's already beyond my abilities as a driver. I want a car that normal people look at and go "Wow, that's something special." I love AMGs, but they're just faster Mercs and nobody who doesn't know a lot about cars will know why they're special. I want something stupid, impractical and LOOOOOOUUUUUUUDDDDDD. If I had the cash to run out and buy a new Huracan Performante, I would in a second.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 10, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Glans Dillzig posted:

here's a hot tip op: porsches own, and i would suggest buying one posthaste

I specifically don't want a Porsche, and poo poo like this is why. gently caress Porsche people, you're worse than Apple fanboys.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Glans Dillzig posted:

does it not jerk your supercar dick off hard enough or what

Boxers are for Subarus. I want a V-hugenumber.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Glans Dillzig posted:

i hope you find everything you're looking for and more op :)

You're a scholar and a gentle(wo)man. :tipshat:

But in all seriousness, I just like cars with engines larger than the passenger compartment. I can appreciate the delicate balance of a small sports car, but I'm 6'3 and built like Jeremy Clarkson, so I don't really fit in those. Same reason I'm not looking at Lotus Evoras or whatever.

Edit: And again, I already kind of have that with the RS.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Cadillac CTS-V would be my choice in an alternate universe where I had 100k to spend on a toy (not a dig at you). It ticks the big engine and luxury boxes. Not that exotic I guess but still pretty badass imo.

Yeah, I'm looking for something more on the exotic end. This is honestly a piece of jewelry for me - it's just as important as a status symbol as it is as a car.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 10, 2019