Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The best way to save money is to not own a car at all. Public transportation is very usable for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Since I have a house, (do never buy), and I perform a lot of my own maintenance I purchased and maintain a domestic pickup truck. If you have basic maintenance skills the annual expense comes to around $300 on a $1,000 truck. Modern fuel injected trucks provide a lot of low maintenance miles. This annual cost includes gas, insurance, and maintenance. I use it around 9 times a year. Each one of these uses saved me on average of $100 in delivery fees, dumpster fees, landscaping costs, etc. I can't live without one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Does anyone have any advice for me? I am a 21 year old white male who is about to get his license. I don't have any parents or anyone whose insurance plan I can sign up under. How bad am I going to get assraped on insurance? Is anyone even going to want to insure me? What can I do to lessen the blow?

Call an insurance agent, tell them the car you plan on driving and they will tell you the cost of insurance. Some will even do this online. Cost is very location specific.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Carmax will give you decent money on the Kia. See the investing or forex thread on how to turn that cash into loss carryforwards.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

BFC questions for this thread:

2. Would we get more money out of our old car if we sold it to Carmax for cash first instead of doing a trade-in? Or would using it as a bargaining chip at the dealer be more advantageous for us?

Some states net the amounts to reduce your sales tax. I would still use Carmax to get a floor trade in value. If you know what car you want I usually just email a ton of dealers and find the cheapest, then I go lowball the poo poo out of them until the sales manager caves to stop having to deal with me.

Some other tricks, get your trade in keys back before you do the four square bullshit or they will try to lose them.

You should also check to see if other regions have better promotions on the car you want. NY had some sweet plug in prius promotion that the rest of the country did not get last year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would recommend a used 2004 prius to anyone. You can find one owner ones cheap all the time. Just avoid the curb stoners. I have purchased two that have had Toyota dealer service every 5000 miles. They need shocks but I can live without them since they ride like poop anyway. My newer one has the JBL stereo, it is better then the one without.

I also leased a new Buick for $185 a month for 24 month no money down, so I have to qualify my advice as tainted. It has 1.4L of turbo fury and weights 3000 pounds. It is not a good decision but I like having a new car to go to clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What ever full size pickup has the best rebate currently going. Used are readily available though. Also a Sienna minivan.