Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Howdy recommendation thread; seeking your thoughts on my situation here.

I own a '07 Subaru STI and I love the hell out of it (the only car I ever bought new!). Unfortunately, my great new job came with an 1.5+ hour commute over hills and through tons of traffic - from one side of San Francisco clear through to the other and then some. Sitting in traffic on hills in a stiffly-sprung heavy-clutch manual is not my idea of a good time, so I'm considering swapping out the STI for something else. My ideal price is under $30k, since I'd be selling the Subaru to purchase it.

My list of priorities, in descending order, are:
1) Not a manual transmission. Flappy paddles would be preferred over a regular automatic.
2) Fun. I know that's a bit abstract, but I want something that's still fun on the back roads.
3) Decent ride comfort (the STI is an absolute teeth-rattler, so it shouldn't be hard to find something better).
4) Decent fuel economy (currently getting 10-20 mpg with the subaru)

The best contender I came up with was a last-gen Corvette; plenty of power, you can get them with paddles, they have the fancy "shut off cylinders to reduce fuel consumption" devilry and some of the trim packages (I don't recall which) came with magnetically-damped adjustable suspension.

I was also considering an older Cayman, but I hear the ride quality on those isn't so good. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

ifuckedjesus posted:

My dad was looking for a car with similar attributes to yours a couple years ago and opted for an Infinity G37.
Hmm, interesting - I know a few people who own one; I'll have to chat with 'em.

Throatwarbler posted:

Corvettes didn't come with AFM and only the very top trim 2011+ Z06/ZR1s had magnetic suspension.
Well drat; turns out it's only the new 'vettes that have AFM. The stingrays look so drat good, maybe I can talk my wife into upping the budget by... uh... $30k.

Throatwarbler posted:

Buy a 2009-2010 C63 AMG. The AMG SPEEDSHIFT (TM) transmission is a torque converter automatic that can still lift up its skirt and scoot when you want it to.
I hadn't thought about that, but that's a good rec. Crazy how fast the value of those things plummets. Thanks!

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

Guni posted:

Initially I was looking at WRX's (around '08-'11 models) to give you some insight into what type of car I was after, but after the girlfriend veto'd anything manual
Point of order: WRX's come in auto; it's the STI that was manual only.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I've been reading and enjoying this thread for a while, so I thought I'd chime in with a bit of an off-the-wall question: what would you recommend for a good rallycross car?

Budget: up to $5k
Usage: Going to rallycross events or light off-roading / hauling rear end down dirt roads.

Local independent Subaru shop recommended a 98 Outback turbo; I've also considered a 2.5RS from the same era, but those are more pricey and I don't want to beat up someone's beloved collector's item.

AWD preferred, but not mandatory- I'd also considered a Miata or 944, but a little bit of research seemed to indicate that they may not hold up to the abuse.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Hi thread, asking for some car buying advice. I’ve been eyeing a Miata for a while to have a fun car, but my wife has asked me to consider something that would be able carry all of us (me, her, and an 8-year old). So, I’m looking for a 4-seater (2 doors okay) that is still fun but also budget friendly. Reliability is also important for budget reasons.

The main complication is that I live in Sweden and we don’t get a lot of the fun cars here (BRZ/FRS was the clear Miata alternative but I’d have to import one which Sweden will tax the hell out of). On the plus side we get lots of German cars here so things like the Audi A1 and BMW 1 series are available. Looking to spend 100-200k sek or about 10-20k usd.

Thanks!

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Golf GTI. How small is the 8 year old? Maybe a 2 series?

Comedy option: budget stretch and a 996

Wife is tall, son is also looking to be tall. If I get a promotion maybe I’ll stretch to the 996 :ducksiren:

//Edit: yeah we can get the nice Abarth 595s here but I grew up in the 80s so I still pearl clutch about Fiat reliability, not sure how reasonable that still is. Focus ST would be a definite winner but I think used ones are still like 400k sek here

//edit again, I was confusing the ST and the RS so that’s a good call

Artemis J Brassnuts fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 17, 2023

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks for all the great suggestions - I’ll probably go with a 4 door something; I used to have an STI that I loved the hell out of and it was nice to be able to cart a bunch of friends around as well.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Buy it online and if you feel guilty later (you shouldn’t, most car salespeople would just as well sell it to someone else) then give the sales guy like a grand in cash. You’re still up 3000!

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Well that sucks. Time for a Macan S

Out of curiosity I went back and checked and you’re the guy who told me to get a 996; I see I’ve found the resident Porsche junkie, lol

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Volvo’s also trying to push into the luxury market in Europe, from what I heard while interviewing for a job there it’s mostly Geely’s doing. Even here in Sweden you don’t see a lot of newer Volvos; the entrenched luxury brands are holding on to their market segment well.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Giant dog owner checking in - I absolutely cannot lift our 50 kilo Newfoundland into our car when she’s tired, so we bought a doggy ramp. Fifty bucks well spent if it lets you buy a car that is otherwise suitable.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

KillHour posted:

So you're saying my Aston shouldn't be living in my driveway 24/7?
Okay this question is so un-BFC that it wraps around to being BFC again, but do we have a thread for people that own awesome / rare cars so we can ask things like “what does it really cost to live with an Aston and is it worth it?”

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Doesn’t the insurance write off mean it’s a salvage title now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
My dad’s a GM retiree and he always said 3 years after a new model / refresh was the sweet spot. That was from back in the 80s / 90s so things might have changed since then.