Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I hope this is the right place to ask this, I’m trading in my little Mazda2 this weekend for something a little more robust. Any tips on interacting with the dealership and maximizing my trade in value? I’m a small woman that is kind of a pushover, so I want to be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Cool. I actually did get a Carmax quote and I was pleased with the results. Really appreciate the advice :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Well I have decided to put off buying a new car for a while, considering the absolute shitshow going on right now. I’m fairly certain my job is secure, but I want to play it safe :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
It kind of sounds like she just wants something newer than an Prius in her price range, based on the recent model cars you’ve shown us that she is considering. She might need to re-evaluate the model years she is looking at on top of whatever financing issues there are.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I don’t really get the Nissan hate either. My husband and his close family members have driven nissans for the past decade and never had any major problems. I ended up buying a Nissan as well recently and so far I love it!
On that subject, buying a car at a dealership in the middle of a pandemic was actually pretty awesome because we only had to deal with one person from six feet away and they didn’t even try to pressure us into anything.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Ok guys. Please be nice to me because I’m feeling very dumb right now. I bought a 2015 Nissan with 60k miles on it. If the transmission is truly as bad as it sounds, then I’m hosed, right? Is there some kind of extended warranty I should get? I tried doing some googling but I’m not sure what is legit.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

mariooncrack posted:

They're a common failure point but it doesn't mean every transmission in every car is going to fail. If you enjoy your car, keep driving it. If you notice issues with the transmission, act accordingly.
I am loving the car :) it’s cute, has a turbo, and will be great in the winter. Fingers crossed it doesn’t poo poo itself!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I know that they are not in reality abnormally small, but the wheels on the Prius always look tiny to me and I don’t care for that.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

MJP posted:

Is this how it normally goes with credit unions and Carvana?
My CU flat out refused to work with Carvana at all :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

jokes posted:

Any reason, maybe a bad story? Seems odd. Like if my bank was like "any car dealer is fine EXCEPT FOR BOB NEWCAR'S NEW AND USED CARS" I would feel compelled to learn more about what happened. It can't be good.

They said they had “issues with payments” with Carvana in the past, unfortunately I don’t have any specifics.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Well dang now I wish I had asked more questions about it. I ended up finding the exact car I was looking for at a local dealership anyway so I wasn’t too bothered at the time.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Hi friends, I need some advice. I currently drive a nissa juke, but it has proven to be incompatible with having a toddler and I need to trade it in for something roomier. I am open to suggestions.

Proposed Budget: $20k
New or Used: either one
Body Style: 4 door small suv or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: drive to work/daycare.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) not important at all
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, a cute look, reliability
Thank you!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

skipdogg posted:

That may be the biggest vehicle segment out there. There's a ton of options. Thread favorites are Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Mazda has a few options. Any other preferences that would narrow the field down? There's over 30 options.

Those are great places to start, thank you! The only way I can really narrow it down is I would prefer something that looks “not boring”, which I know is subjective. Also my price range is not super high so that is limiting my options as well.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I appreciate the advice :) We are going to look at a Soul tomorrow so we’ll see how that goes. Jesus Christ the pricing on used cars is bonkers right now, we might just buy new.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Is buying a car anywhere just a total pain in the rear end right now? For the third time we were set up to test drive something and it sold before we could get to the dealership. I’m feeling really over this whole process and might just go with carvana instead.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Alright we managed to snag a brand new 2022 impreza by calling the dealership and asking what was coming in soon. Used ones are going on carvana for over msrp!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Hadlock posted:

I'm honestly curious where you bubble people live and what you do for a living

I’m in a Denver suburb :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Hadlock posted:

I just don't understand how someone wouldn't be aware that cars are crazy expensive and getting hard to buy at reasonable prices

Maybe I misunderstood his question

It just wasn’t something I gave a lot of thought to, honestly. I am naive about a lot of things!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I am supremely annoyed that I live in a front and back plate required state but they only gave me a temporary plate for the back and there is no place to mount a front plate. What am I supposed to do, drill holes myself?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I think if I were to be honest I’m having a bit of buyer’s remorse. Traded in my juke for an impreza and it has the space we need it’s just…so boring. Some day I will buy a fun car again, maybe when the kid goes off to college.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Leperflesh posted:

God dammit I paid a dealer $100 to install a front plate for my texas-origin Tiguan two months ago. If I'd known I could just get a sticker I'd have done that!

Also to answer OPs question there's both OEM and aftermarket front plate mounting kits, a dealer typically just drills right into the bumper which you can do yourself but make drat sure you're not potentially tapping into front sensors or wires or whatever if you do; but if you want a non-destructive/through-the-grill or tow hook mounting option, there's lots of aftermarket ones too.

Thanks for this :) I’ll look into getting a mounting kit myself, gently caress paying the dealer more money!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I sold a car to carvana about 2 months ago and it went swimmingly. Maybe it’s a poop show now?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

quarantinethepast posted:

I just cancelled the deal on the $19,996 2019 Toyota Corolla SE. Now I'm arranging a meetup with a private seller and a mobile mechanic to do the PPI of the car on site. This would be for the 2010 Honda Fit.

That seems like a great car for you!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I just bought a new impreza but I’m not super into it and don’t plan to keep it forever. Hopefully it won’t explode in the next five years or so before I decide I want something else.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Yep that’s how I ended up with a brand new impreza instead of used like I had been planning!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I sold 2 cars to carvana and I was happy with their offers and the experience. They didn’t even inspect the cars at all, just wrote me a check and off they went!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I paid about $9k for my ‘71 super beetle back in 2008 (kind of a sweetheart deal for the seller my uncle) so yeah that seems right for the kharmann ghia.

Yeah they are cool as hell and pretty rare. My dad has one.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Explosionface posted:

I think a lot of the Kia Souls you see are rental fleet cars. Not to say they're super duper awesome, but don't take the quantity available in a negative connotation.

I also live in a high crime area of Portland and can confirm that souls are absolutely everywhere. I think they are kind of cute though, I’ve thought about one as an option for a second car but the high theft issue is definitely giving me pause.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Captain Log posted:

Are you a Centennial Neighborhood buddy like myself?
Just a few blocks outside of that area, yep :) Howdy neighbor!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Can I ask a really stupid question? When you say 911 out loud is it 9-1-1 or 9-11? Got into a dumb argument with my husband last night lol.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

It's a "Nine Eleven". I've never heard anyone say it any other way.

Ok, this is what I thought and my husband was totally gaslighting me! He was like “why would they name a car after 9/11?”
Yes, there is a lot to unpack there.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

Ask him for me how they knew about 9/11 in 1964 when this model was first produced.

I told him it was late 50s (couldn’t remember off the top of my head) but glad I was close! I grew up going to vw shows due to my father’s line of work and I have no idea how I didn’t marry a car guy.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Coincidentally, I was recently in the market for a sub-$20k car and I test drove both a gti and a soul. I ended up liking the soul a lot better! I got a manual for a very good price and it’s peppy and zippy. As previously mentioned, they are prone to theft so I bought a club for mine just in case.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Omg someone tried to steal my Kia last night. I blame TikTok for this! It’s a manual plus I have a club, so I think after they broke a window they took a look and decided to pass.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Motronic posted:

Interesting. Take it to wherever people argue about politics.

Smack made a joke and then you asked him to explain it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
When someone broke into my car recently they smashed the passenger side rear window, the little one, not the one that rolls down. I wonder what the rationale was for that? I don’t keep anything in the car so nothing was stolen, I just can’t figure out why they targeted that window specifically.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Kia offers a free fix and will also send you a club (or something like it) for free. When I bought my Kia a year ago the insurance was cheap, but then skyrocketed after the initial 6 month term and I’m still salty about it!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Dealerships also put a sticker on the drivers side window to indicate that there is an engine immobilizer in place, but not sure how much of a deterrent that is to thieves in the dead of night.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

zedprime posted:

I for one am glad mass market generic cars' higher trims either come with or have non-optional optional Fancy Rims because it indulges the secret 13 year old inside me.

Same, lol. It’s nice to not have to do that myself. Early twenties me had Porsche rims on my vw bug, I felt like such a baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Are the catalytic converters on the new Prius models still highly sought after and targeted for theft?