Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a question on "de-sludging" a car's engine. I'm sure we've all heard it before, over time gunk collects in your car's engine if you use "anything less than gold-level gasoline" and it needs to be removed. Truth, or bullshit? One of my friends who runs his own garage says it's a cash grab, and I'm inclined to believe him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

If you actually have real sludge issues you need an engine rebuild and theres not a drat thing you can do about it.
I understand that, but is "engine de-sludging" ever a part of "routine" car maintenance, or some bullshit conjured up by car dealerships and swindling garages (I'm putting my money on the latter).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright... my 2000 Honda Civic LX (197 0000 km) is starting to show its age. I bought it used about 5 years ago, and while it has been behaving pretty well over those 5 years I've owned it, it's starting to break down (had to replace the struts, lots of rust and most places due to Canadian winters, now have to replace the brake line). It's time to start looking at a replacement. I need suggestions!

Proposed Budget: $5000 - $7000

New or Used: Used

Body Style: 4-door sedan

How will you be using the car?: To and from work (suburbs to downtown core. 1 hour each way). Shopping. Nothing unusual, really.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, fuel economy, and ease of repair. Stick shift preferred.

I've been a Honda guy for as long as I've been driving, but I'm definitely open to looking at other makes. Any suggestions?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 3, 2013

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

Since then, I've narrowed down my choices to either a 2010 Toyota Corolla, or a 2010 Honda Civic. I love the way the Civic looks, and it has better gas mileage, but I feel like the Corolla has better handling and acceleration, despite its somewhat dated appearance. Between the two, which car is generally more reliable/has a lower cost of ownership? Is there anything that either car is known for breaking on a regular basis? Which car would you pick, if given the option?
Both are quite reliable, but the Civic will definitely cost more in car insurance. And while the Civic has good mileage, the Corolla's mileage is even better. The Civic's has better performance and is more fun to drive, but it does so at the cost of fuel efficiency.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 2, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

an skeleton posted:

In general, how does Acura maintenance compare with Hondas? Is it going to be relatively cheap like a Honda's or does the luxury-status mean parts etc. are much more expensive?
They're definitely more expensive (and your insurance premiums will be, too). My brother has owned two, and as nice as many Acuras are, servicing the Acura has always been more expensive than the servicing our Civics. Acuras are fun, reliable cars but they are considered to be Honda's higher-end vehicle line.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

an skeleton posted:

Thanks for the heads up. But as far as back breaking maintenance, how do they compare to the german vehicles (BMW/Benz). I'm moving away from one of those and so I can handle "more than a civic" probably.
It really depends- are you getting a newer Acura? Because most newer cars across the board, whether it's Acura, BMW, Merc, Honda, are being made in such a way that DIY maintenance is becoming more difficult. I won't get into the reasons why, but that's the way a lot of vehicles are being made these days.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

an skeleton posted:

Thanks alot guys. I'll skip that one for now.
I'm running into another problem, though, which is most people don't seem too happy when I ask them if I can take their car to a mechanic. Usually the best response I get is "you can bring one if you want." Who are these people with mechanic best friends who will come inspect cars with them? I am not one of these people.
Even with a good mechanic friend, a mechanic's ability to properly inspect the car outside of their garage is highly limited. They can't put the car on a lift and the outdoors can cause all sorts of lighting issues that make it difficult to get a good look under the hood. In my experience, the car sellers who say "bring your guy" are just as bad as the people who refuse to meet up for a proper PPI. They know that your mechanic really can't do a proper PPI outdoors.

My mechanic refuses to do road calls for this exact reason, and I don't blame him for it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

My wife is looking towards a Highlander in either the V6 or Hybrid. Others I've come across could maybe be the Grand Cherokee (though it seems there isn't as much stowage as others), and Dodge Durango.

Any advice?
I just wanted to chime in on the V6 Highlander. I know that the others have recommended going with a U-Haul instead of buying a truck for a single-use purpose (and I definitely agree with them), but just giving you my two cents about the Highlander just in case. It's a nice vehicle and it'll give you more room, but holy hell is the V6 dreadful with fuel consumption. Even compared to other trucks I've driven, it's quite bad with fuel. It's really expensive to fill up, and it burns through fuel really quickly. It really surprised me, and not in a good way. The truck was in tip-top shape as well, so there weren't any engine issues that contributed to this. Just something to keep in mind.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 16, 2019

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yep Prius is the option, here. Not many hybrids worth taking the risk on.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 10, 2024