Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In addition to all the other good and accurate advice you have recieved, you should especially not throw money in desperation at a commodity car like a Camry. Toyota makes like 200k of them a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Commercial could mean owned by a business. Company car, real estate person, whatever. The owner should show on the CarFax.

You need to PPI whatever you're looking at, ideally with a mechanic who knows anything about Subarus because there are few charming design idiosyncrasies to them. Are you looking at 5th or 6th generation (MY2020+) cars?

Anecdote and not data, but our family friend's Crosstrek EV has had horrible radio problems. It has gone back multiple times to get the head unit replaced. I wouldn't touch their car and I'd be wary of a Subaru with similar problems. The problem with integrated head units is that if things go wrong it can impact other control systems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Since you don't mention fun to drive, you're an ideal candidate for a Toyota Prius.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Baronash posted:

6th generation. Would it be best to do the PPI at a Subaru dealership if I can get it in, or anywhere as long as they have a bit of familiarity with them?

Find an indy that does Subarus. I would not get a PPI at at dealer and they probably aren't super interested in doing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

This makes me sad. I don't stop myself from enjoying my rentals but I definitely don't abuse them. Most of the time I'm in no rush, doing 5 over on the freeway and trying to figure out how to turn a feature on or off.

I normally don't abuse rentals but sometimes you want to go to Pedra Grande up an unimproved road and you got to use the tools you have (Fiat Uno)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think for a while the template had a line that made everyone say why they shouldn't get a Prius. We should bring that back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vinny the Shark posted:

I need to do more research, but generally speaking the flashier and more sporty a car looks then the more likely it will get broken into and/or stolen or get parts stolen off it. I figure a boring Corrola or Civic would go unnoticed over more expensive looking cars. I live in a condo community where we all park our cars outdoors, so theft is a concern, albeit a small one.

wrongo bongo, the most stolen cars in america are the big 3 pickup trucks, Civic, Accord, Elantra, Sonata, Camry, Optima, and CR-V.

edit: people steal cars to part them out, not to joyride them. the market for used shady auto parts is very well correlated to how many of that car are on the road, hence the stolen list being dominated by mass market vehicles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've lost count of how many times I've posted this but there are an assload of perfectly valid reasons to not want a Prius and "I don't like the interior" is a very reasonable one. All this really means is that reliability and fuel economy aren't your absolute number one and two priorities (in either order), and that's okay. You can definitely find cars that will be more comfortable and/or more fun to drive, without making huge sacrifices in fuel economy and/or ongoing maintenance costs.

yeah it's really a way of teasing out people's actual preferences, because everyone says they want reliability, fuel economy, and low TCO and then when you suggest a Prius lots of people got a billion reasons that they don't want a Prius

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

This is just pure volume numbers right? So you’d expect the most common cars on the road to be at the top; you need to compare the number stolen to the number on the road to get a sense of likelihood.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/vehicle-theft-prevention/theft-rates

Still pretty well holds, though it's broken down by model year so theres a bunch of older GM and DCX crap. The idea that fancy cars are stolen at a higher rate is not really accurate, and there's a ton of noise in stuff like the fact that 2 Rolls Royce Phantoms were stolen. If it had been one, it would have a below average rate..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In addition to the other more important points, while I preferred the interior layout (much more straightforward Hyundai vs the Prius' stupid garbage) there is basically no sound deadening in the Ioniq and they are very, very loud at highway speeds, even compared to the Prius, which is already not exactly an at-speed NVH champ. If I were doing a long highway commute the drone would get very old, very fast.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

moana posted:

Proposed Budget: $10-20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Truck/minivan/car with trailer? I'm not sure which is best for our needs since we've never owned anything other than little sedans, hatchbacks, and Miatas. We'll need a back seat since our kiddo is still little.
How will you be using the car?:
- dump runs about once every month or two.
- hauling building materials and furniture. Last year I counted and we borrowed a truck 7 times, so maybe worth it to not be such a bother to our truck friends/having to pay extra to ship things instead of picking them up
- hauling manure/camping gear/bikes/a little motorcycle
- as a family 2nd car for short distances

If we ended up with a van then it would also do duty as a kid hauler for groups of kids. Maybe also sleeping in it during camping trips?

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? definitely not.

What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability #1, good MPG would be nice, smaller the better (no giant F150 monstrosities)
We don't have a lot of driveway space so the car+trailer idea is hard to make happen without annoying neighbors.
We've considered getting something like a Tacoma but every truck in our range is like 25 years old with 150k miles on it already. A Pacifica? Odyssey? Actually chopping a Prius into a little truck? Idk help me before the Elantra radiator explodes please.

Given your use case I don't think priortizing fuel economy is all that smart. How many miles do you think you'll put on this thing a year?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honda Ridgeline is literally an Odyssey / Pilot with a bed instead of an enclosed cargo area, and it's what would have been my first choice four years ago when I needed to buy "the smallest possible do-everything truck".

I would be disinclined to haul manure in my van unless it's bagged. Ridgeline is a good call for a quasi-truck. It has a little bed that would do anything you need and otherwise it's basically a Honda Accord. If you can't find one in your price range, I might look at the Nissan Frontier. It's crap, but it's a cheap way to get a truck bed. Honda Element would also be an OK choice, but they're rare and command a bit of a premium these days. It hoses out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I mean it's not true hose out but you can wash the interior pretty easily. Dumping a bunch of water inside the car is a bad idea, but it's a lot easier to clean than like, an Accord.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Are you thinking of the Maverick? The new rangers are still pretty big (basically 90s f-150 size) and more expensive than that.

Maverick is hard to find, carries an ADM for the hybrid in many cases, and a long rear end waiting list - and out of the OPs price range - but it would be basically perfect if the OP wants to shell out more money and wait a bit.

The Ranger is bigger of course but it's still smaller than modern half tons. If OP considers this they should also consider the GM Canyon/Colorado twins - I personally prefer them and the V6 powertrain vs EcoBoost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

moana posted:

California. Why not a Tacoma compared to these other truck options btw? Because of the Toyota premium?

spend twice as much money to get shittier truck

like even if the stranger breaks constantly you have a ton of money to fix it and come out even

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'll take Door Number 3 and suggest the CR-V hybrid. It's about the same price as the RAV-4 and I like the exterior styling, the interior styling, and the way it drives a lot better.

By the way all of those cars are compact crossovers, if she wants an actual mid-size that is something like Highlander/Pilot/Santa Fe. But when most people say mid-size at this point they mean "not the smallest crossover in the range" - I assume you are using it in this way. EPA class sizes are not intuitive.

edit: hyundai/kia have made some pretty poo poo cars at various points in time - the Theta engine platform had serious design defects that are basically not solvable and there is of course the immobilizer/anti-theft tiktok trend driving up insurance rates. I don't put them on the Toyota/Honda tier of reliability for sure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Hyundai has a bit more content at a slightly lower price point, but if I were telling my mom how to spend her money I'd have her buy the Toyota. he odds of the Hyundai being a piece of poo poo and your mom complaining that you had her buy a lovely car are low, but greater than the odds for the Toyota. She'll make it up in reliability and resale. Never setting foot in a Hyundai dealership is also a bonus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gangringo posted:

N line is an appearance and options package, N is the performance variant.

It has bigger wheels than some of the lower trim variants so it will both ride worse and be more expensive to replace tires!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

Toyota Venza is also worth a look, the Venza feels really nice inside.

Ed: gah not sure they make a hybrid tho

The Venza is a decent call, it's a RAV-4 but a tad bit upscale and less utilitarian. Hybrid only.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

What's the reason behind the move to such large wheels on so many cars? Just part of the drive for everything to get taller?

engineering:
- crash standards (both side impact and frontal pedestrian impact) have led to belt lines getting higher, which means there's a lot more visual bulk in sheet metal on the side of the vehicle. Wheels look smaller and weird as a result.
- better packaging - wheelbases are getting longer for similar overall lengths; cars look weird with long wheelbases and small wheels similar to above. this isn't as major as above.

taste:
- customers think bigger wheels look cool and are fancy

combo engineering/regulatory/taste:
- more CUVs leading to generally larger wheels since customers do not like big sidewalls

that covers most of it, and yeah, as motronic said, the overall diameter of the wheel-tire combo is getting bigger, but it's not getting bigger at the same rate wheels are getting bigger, because sidewalls are getting smaller.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

How dare we ignore the influence that early 2000's hip hop had on wheel size

I did think about talking about aspirational wheel size inflation as viewed through some hip hop songs.

Sir Mix-a-lot's Chief Boot Knocka (1994) drops references to three piece rims and a girl in a SL sitting on 19s lookin all swell
Lil Troy has 20" blades on the Impala in Wanna Be A Baller (1998)
Clipse's Grindin (2002) tells us that only big boys keep deuces on they ride but just a year later David Banner is rapping an entire track about a Cadillac on 22s. 50 is still stuck on dubs.

I'm not super up on it but I don't hear a lot of tracks with dudes talking about treys. I think the word "dub" is just a nice word to rap, it's percussive and punchy and has a clean vowel. 20s/22s ruled the late 90s/early 2000s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I was surprised that Still Fly doesn't actually have a reference to specific wheel size, but does specify "Sumitomo tires and they gotta be run flat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

me too, that was one of the first places I checked to try to find something

Young Buck round about references 22s in that he says "They said 22s wouldn't fit but they liars" which implies that he in fact does have 22s although it's not truly confirmed. He's a Pirelli guy though. edit: he also references 24s I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 12, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you are buying from the dealer there is an out the door price, which typically includes taxes, the title, and registration of the vehicle above the sticker price that you see on The Internet. It may also include a document fee for the dealer to kindly (:rolleyes:) process all that stuff for you. The dealer may try to add on other things, which you should absolutely decline.

If a private seller of a used car, what you see on the internet is what you pay the seller. You then have to get the title signed over, register the car, and pay applicable taxes. You usually have 30-90 days to do this stuff, depending on state.

People complain about doc fees but the older I get the more tolerant I am of paying like $195 to not have to go to the RMV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Why do you say this?

I was also looking for a “basically a Prius but six inches taller (and preferably with AWD)” and the smaller crossovers seemed better than those huge suvs.

Then again maybe I just need to get used to big cars after driving a small coupe for a decade.

you're buying a car with load carrying ability and you're really limiting its capabilites in that regard. the compact crossovers are fine (CR-V, et al), the subcompact are less useful (Corolla Cross, HR-V), and the weird little sporty ones are basically useless (CX-3, CH-R) although this segment is pretty dead

people (broadly) choose to drive a little coupe for fun to drive reasons but there's not much fun to drive when you add six inches of lift at the bottom of the price range, and you've lost out on a lot of utility

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cage posted:

Am I crazy for liking the buick envista? Its cheap and still has a six speed transmission instead of a cvt.

coupe body style CUVs are the fuckin dumbest poo poo in the world but in addition to that the Envista sucks and doesn't even offer any CUV utility seeing as how it's FWD only. its terrible acceleration will have you wishing they put a CVT on it

for what its worth I think the Envision is actually a pretty good car and I generally like Buicks :corsair:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Inner Light posted:

I wonder how Envision cross shops with a CR-V. I bet everyone I show it to would be like "why wouldn't I just buy a CR-V" and CR-V has actually fine AWD now (for its indicated purpose)

That's why they don't really sell well, of course. I think the Envision has a nicer interior, a better transmission, and very quiet and comfortable ride compared to the CR-V. But most buyers don't care that much and also the CR-V is a Honda so it will sell no matter what.

Number_6 posted:

It's basically a tall, FWD sedan. It's slow and not sporty to drive. I do think it looks good, and it's inexpensive by today's standards. But I don't know how much longevity I'd expect out of that tiny turbo motor.

Also: Why isn't it a hybrid? Seems like that would improve performance and economy.

It's not a hybrid because it's built to a price point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ethanol posted:

there's a 2010 crv parked next to my 2024 rav4 rn and they're almost identical size if this helps

generally stuff like interior packaging and space utilization improve over time as well. some exceptions apply.

imo one of the biggest advantages of the new CR-V compared to the RAV-4 is that its not dog poo poo ugly

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shipon posted:

"but they're safer!"

has safety meaningfully made any improvements since, like, the early 2000s? seems like all its done now is made them even more deadly to pedestrians due to higher weight

Yes, absolutely.

New platforms have contained progressively more advanced steel alloys, which ensure that the passenger compartment does not deform.
Side airbags, side curtain airbags, and knee airbags are generally standard.
Traction and stability control are standard.
All of the various active safety features make cars safer - automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, active cruise control, etc. These are increasingly standard on most cars.

edit: all else equal (driving style, conditions, etc) you are less likely to get in an accident in a 2024 CR-V than you are in a 2013 CR-V, and if you do get in an accident your injuries are likely to be less severe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Honda Civics absolutely peaked in 1999.

I don’t disagree but the new one is excellent. It’s just the size of an Accord.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

So an old guy decided to T-bone my wife driving our nice, low miles 2020 Corolla in a parking lot by driving across the empty parking spaces at speed, and hosed up the front passenger side so bad it's totalled. I got good advice from you nerds before, so why not touch base again? I put maybe 25k miles on the old car in 4 years, so I'm not exactly a frequent driver.

Proposed Budget: Total around $35-40k at most? I'm getting about $15k after paying off the wrecked car's loan, so I have a solid down payment.
New or Used: Leaning new. This will be our sole vehicle, and as far as I know used prices are still hosed up.
Body Style: It's me, my wife, and one kiddo. Our previous car was a compact, and we're OK with another one, but it's getting a bit cramped, so we're thinking CUV/SUV.
How will you be using the car?: Errands, not a daily commute (I'm WFH), the occasional family/social event. A couple times a year we might drive inter-state.

What aspects are most important to you?
1. Reliability. This will be our only vehicle for some time. We were getting close to paying off the old one, and then this happened. :(
2. Fuel Economy. Gas sucks.
3. Back seats/Cargo. The kiddo's getting tall fast, and it'd be nice to have room for him. For this reason, we're not thinking the Prius would be a good fit, though I'd take one if it was just me. It'd also be nice not to have to borrow another car any time I want to move anything bigger than a lunch pail.
4. Comfort. My wife has some rather nasty nerve/autoimmune issues that cause her a lot of pain, so a car she can drive/ride in comfortably would be great. We do plan to test drive.

We're leaning toward a RAV4 Hybrid or CR-V Hybrid. Another Corolla or a Prius would be too small for the times when all three of us would be in the car, especially since I'm a tall person, and my kiddo is tall for his age. It'd also be nice to not have to fall into my car any more because it's so low. The thread seems in favor of the two we're considering, but last time I checked in I hadn't considered every car brand, and thanks to you guys I ended up in a very nice Mazda CX-5. So I figured I'd see if there's anything I'm missing.

I probably wouldn't pay the hybrid premium to drive maybe 6k miles a year. Ethanol's math is good. If you're not going hybrid, the CX-5 is still excellent and its replacement the CX-50 is good, too.

I would focus on point 4. Mass market cars are generally reliable, and are generally fuel efficient. In your shoes, I would rather have a car that my wife could drive comfortably even if it meant cutting my fuel economy by 10-15%. If she's most comfortable driving a Ford Escape, it may not be the objectively best vehicle in class but that's what I'd buy!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Agree that replacing the engine on a known good car is probably an OK path at this point, but I'm very curious as to how it blew in the first place since that drivetrain is very, very solid. Any idea what happened?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Interesting input on the 3rd gen Prius, did not know that was a common-ish issue!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RAV4 appears to be a delightful vehicle

sure, if you think your refrigerator is delightful

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Is there a preferred online service for advertising/selling a car privately but will handle all the headaches like the title and dmv stuff? I’ve tried all the usual suspects car* but thinking I might get a little more selling online.

You can’t get top dollar and not do any legwork (now that the VCs stopped shoveling money in to the used car ecosystem). You have to pick between doing more work to get more money or convenience at a cost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Alfa are good fun cars!

For certain definitions of good and certain definitions of fun, sure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Exactly.

Sounds good. I’ll go to car max and sit in stuff.

What should I be looking at in addition to the new Prius if the entry/accessibility warrants something higher? The Toyota and Honda CUVs? Mazda CX-30 and CX-5 seem decent at the appropriate price, with good safety.

Also - are the lifts posted ITT actual plausible solutions for the Prius height issue? I really like the stats and looks of new Prius, for the price point.

do not lift a prius just buy a RAV-4 hybrid or whatever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

teen phone cutie posted:

cross posting from the San Diego thread (replacing "San Diego" with "high cost-of-living cities":

anyone have opinions here about car shopping w/in high cost-of-living cities?

right now I'm considering buying a used Honda CR-V because

1. I'm currently leasing a CR-V that has a few defects that I'd like to return
2. I work from home, so don't care so much about the mileage
3. If I leased, I would plan on buying the car at the end of the lease anyway.

But I'm also wondering if buying within a high cost-of-living city makes sense or I should try to go out of state for a better deal? Right now, the Honda CR-V that I leased back in 2020 (RIGHT before covid) has the same MSRP as a used one in San Diego that has 30k miles on it. I know covid absolutely hosed the prices of cars, so that's not a huge surprise, but I'm kinda stuck on what makes the most sense here.

What's wrong with your current CR-V?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's fine to not care about driving dynamics. Most people don't. If you don't already know that you care about them, you don't care about them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thank you for defending the honor of the RAV-4 or whatever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

teen phone cutie posted:

the seal on the hood or something is hosed because my interior gets green mold any time it rains. I'd rather just get rid of it

i would definitely get rid of it - once mold starts it's tough to get gone - but just taking a shot in the dark this sounds like a classic sunroof drain issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's a bit smaller and is even more of an appliance. The 2.0 is slow as gently caress since it's a Corolla drivetrain in a fatter, heavier package. The hybrid is OK.