Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm looking to buy my first car soon.

Proposed budget: $1-5000
New or Used: used, obviously (from the 90s, or early 2000s if I can find one within budget)
Body style: Coupe or sedan (small to midsized), maybe hatchback or wagon
How I will be using the car: commuting short distances to work, elsewhere; possible long-distance road trips, camping, occasionally driving my family around (4 people total)
Important aspects: Reliability, good handling, high gas mileage, long range before refuel, good wet-weather traction, okay cargo space, not domestic,

Until now, I've been driving a Volvo 960, so I may have been spoiled in respect to the car's handling characteristics, since I can't really afford to maintain a Volvo or fuel something with a 2.9 liter engine in it.

I'm mostly going to be driving to and from work in this; ideally, it would have good handling characteristics (not sure it'd be possible to match the Volvo's in my price range; I don't mind switching to FWD), high gas mileage, and good reliability.

I don't plan to drive it in the snow anytime soon, but I would very much like to have a car that feels sure-footed when driving in a heavy rain storm.

Range is also important to me, since I'm planning on taking some road trips, possibly very long ones (think California to Alaska) sometime in the future. A decent amount of cargo space would be nice, too, for the same reason.

I'd like something with an automatic transmission, preferably one that performs okay, since I don't know how to drive a manual and am not sure how competent I would be in stop-and-go traffic; however, a manual transmission is not by any means a dealbreaker.

So far, I've been looking at Hondas and Acuras, and I have no idea which cars Toyota offers are good. I've also been idly contemplating Saabs, since I love their ergonomics and handling, but hate the poo poo reliability. Subarus seem nice, especially the 4-wheel-drive ones, but I don't know anything about their reliability or other characteristics; same for Mazdas and Nissans.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Well I have a few ideas but they are all domestics and you don't want domestics so since you know more about cars than us why are you here?

A lot of the places I've looked say that domestic cars are crap, but I would be happy to hear of any that aren't!

Also it said to put "domestic/import" in the OP if it was something I considered important, so I did. No need to be a dick about it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Looking for car recommendations again! I don't remember what people told me to buy last time, but I ended up buying a Volvo 240 (I love it).

Now I'm planning a long road trip in the summer, in the desert. My 240's gonna take some work to get it ready for something like that, and I'd prefer to upgrade.

I'm in the Bay Area.

Proposed Budget: $4000 or less
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Preferably 2-door or 3-door, maybe a liftback (they are cool); as long as it's not a truck or an SUV, I'm probably OK with it
How will you be using the car?: I'm probably gonna be the only person in it, but it should be able to carry enough cargo/cameras/whatnot for a month-long trip (in other words, not an MR2 or anything)
What aspects are most important to you?

• Reliability's important; I want something that's not likely to die on me while I'm in Middle of Nowhere, Nevada (So probably not a Saab, as much as I'd like a 900 classic).
  • It shouldn't overheat in extremely high temperatures, so something turbocharged might not be best.
  • Comfort is also important (though I don't need luxury-car level comfort; I just want something with a nicely padded seat).
  • Gas mileage is important (I'd rather not have to support a car that gets 15 mpg).
  • If possible, I'd like it to be fun to drive, whether it's manual or automatic; though I have plenty of fun with my 240, despite its 114 HP engine.
  • I'd like something from the eighties or early nineties. Older cars are easier to understand and work on, from what I've seen, and they look cooler than more modern cars (in my opinion).
  • Preferably it won't get police looking at me with suspicion, so I don't really want a Civic or an Integra. This is not really important I guess

My most likely choice at this point is either Volvo, either a 240 or a 940 turbo. I enjoy greatly how well my 240 handles, and how easy it is to work on (I can nearly stand in the engine compartment, and parts are readily available); a 940 turbo would be a bit faster, and be more comfortable, though I'd have to work on it some to make it handle as well as a 240. A late-model 240 would have the airbags, ABS, and non-worn parts that my 1988 240 doesn't; it might get better gas mileage, too, if I find one with LH-Jetronic 3.1 fuel injection (though parts are harder to find for that).

There're some really nice Toyota Supra Mk. IIIs on Craigslist, too :allears:

Edit: it occurs to me I could get past a car prone to running hot by jury-rigging some sort of evaporative cooling thing by spraying mist on the radiator, so that's probably not gonna be a big issue.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 20, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

How do you feel about 4th Gen F-bodies?

I mean on the one hand they seem to fit all your criteria, especially if you can get an LS1, on the other hand they are objectively terrible cars in many ways, with the whole door sagging and dash-falling-into-lap thing, but you could sort of drive it ironically.

I hadn't really considered (eighties) American cars/V8s. How are they on gas mileage?

I could go for a BITCHIN' TRANS AM camaro even if I do have to deal with 80s 90s domestic build quality.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 20, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

A 4th gen is this kind:

3rd gens are from the 80s.

Yeah I looked up F-body on Wikipedia and clicked "Firebird" before I wrote that post :shrug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Maybe I'll go the compromise route and buy this and put an LS1 in it :unsmigghh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Looks like I might go the slow and Swedish route again. I'm going to go take a look at this tomorrow.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3755921691.html

It's got 180,000 miles (maybe less than my current car at this point; the odometer broke at 159k at some point during the previous guy's ownership), an airbag and ABS, an electric cooling fan and improved AC system, an interior in better shape, and (best of all) a seat that doesn't lean back and to the right or sag in the bottom.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

nm posted:

I'd be worried about an automatic that old with so many miles.
If it was a stick.

The AW70s are pretty durable. I just found an anecdote about someone's AW70 that was able to run trouble-free for a year after their transmission cooler sprung a leak, letting antifreeze into the transmission.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm entering the final stages of finding my dad a car. I have a shortlist of cars from local dealerships. He'd rather not deal with buying one private party, which is fine since there are essentially no good newish cars for sale here outside the two dealerships in the county.

Proposed budget: Up to/around $20,000
New or used: Used.
Body style: Small-midsize anything (no truck).
How will he be using the car: Commuting to the grocery store, plus longer trips when needed; it's 20 miles roundtrip to the store, and he'll be going to a doctor 50 miles away. He has a truck to haul poo poo.
What aspects are most important for him? Reliability, followed by good gas mileage. "Good" is relative, as he's never owned anything newer than his 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo, which never got better than 17 mpg combined or so, and blew a head gasket last summer.
Secondary concerns: a comfortable car, a car that's fun to drive, a car that he'll be proud of owning.

To quote him, he wants to own "a nice car." He's never owned anything made within 10 years of when it was built, and every car he's owned has had a continuous string of old-car issues, with all of them finally experiencing a catastrophic failure that's left him carless or stranded, except for his enormous goddamn truck, which has experienced a string of old-truck issues which make him nervous to drive it long distances, and which gets 8 mpg.

I have a shortlist.

pre:
Car - Price - Mileage

Guy Strohmeier's - Lakeport
-----------------------------------------
2017 Nissan Altima 2.5      - $17,900 - 2,719 mi
2016 Toyota Corolla LE      - $15,950 - 2,999  mi 
2017 Kia Forte LX Sedan     - $15,500 - 3,909 mi
2016 Honda Accord EX-L      - $22,900 - 17,981 mi
2017 Toyota Camry SE        - $18,900 - 18,650 mi
2016 Toyota Camry SE        - $16,900 - 28,825 mi

Matt Mazzei - Lakeport
-----------------------------------------
2016 Toyota Camry SE        - $18,995 - 38,317 mi
2016 Ford Fiesta SE         - $8,995  - 40,090 mi
2015 Ford Fiesta SE         - $9,995  - 43,313 mi
2015 Ford Focus SE          - $10,995 - 43,624 mi
2015 Ford Fusion SE Ecobst  - $14,995 - 42,426 mi
Currently, my eye is on the Ford Fusion, since it's the closest in terms of type of car and positioning to his favorite car he's ever owned, a 1994 Volvo 960: midsized premium non-luxury sedan, with a relatively powerful engine, a nice interior, and good features.

He'll be paying cash. I may be taking him to the dealership tomorrow or Friday. Local is best, as I'm very pressed for time and don't want to leave him without a reliable car, but if it's wise I can look for more Fusions in a wider area; the closest dealerships that aren't those two start at an hour away.

How is the reliability on a Ford of this era?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 23, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Based on y'all's recommendations and managing to find a few more days in my schedule, I'm probably gonna be widening the search area, and also cross-shopping Toyota Avalons along with the Fusions, if that seems about right.

also holy poo poo the Focus DCT issues :stonklol:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

LCD displays work by polarizing light inside the display. Switch to non-polarized sunglasses for driving and you'll be fine.

As far as the car goes, if a digital speedometer is a deal breaker you're not going to want a 2006 Civic. Beyond that, the Civic Hybrid is a decent enough car, but Toyota owns a lot of patents on the magic planetary gearset transmission that makes the Prius so reliable. Honda's design isn't as sophisticated, reliable, or quite as efficient. If you can get a screaming deal on a Civic Hybrid or second-gen Insight, they're not bad cars, but for the same money the Toyota's a better buy (the first-gen Insight, incidentally, is its own special acquired taste).

after you've driven with polarized sunglasses, it's actually impossible to do it without them. true fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm currently considering this certified pre-owned 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium per suggestions above. How's it look?