Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

wesleywillis posted:

Proper rims only have five spokes.

Well Lil Flip only has 20s as he notes here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdK-u-Y5AFo

But his rival T.I. has at least one up on him with 24s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1u9u7mq9Ck

But then Funk Master Flex is rimmed up and raised up real nuts like, presumably on 26s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVut-dedXg

And then you got some cats ridin on 40s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VImPZTI7I

Proper wheels have 100-150 spokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s also time to start playing dealers off each other. They both have the same product in stock, which one wants the sale more? It’s a wash to you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A lot of that sales loss is due to them no longer offering the models listed. The Cherokee dropped 91% because they stopped making it, same with the Chrysler 200.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Presumably a warranty situation

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jedi425 posted:

So an old guy decided to T-bone my wife driving our nice, low miles 2020 Corolla in a parking lot by driving across the empty parking spaces at speed, and hosed up the front passenger side so bad it's totalled. I got good advice from you nerds before, so why not touch base again? I put maybe 25k miles on the old car in 4 years, so I'm not exactly a frequent driver.

Proposed Budget: Total around $35-40k at most? I'm getting about $15k after paying off the wrecked car's loan, so I have a solid down payment.
New or Used: Leaning new. This will be our sole vehicle, and as far as I know used prices are still hosed up.
Body Style: It's me, my wife, and one kiddo. Our previous car was a compact, and we're OK with another one, but it's getting a bit cramped, so we're thinking CUV/SUV.
How will you be using the car?: Errands, not a daily commute (I'm WFH), the occasional family/social event. A couple times a year we might drive inter-state.

What aspects are most important to you?
1. Reliability. This will be our only vehicle for some time. We were getting close to paying off the old one, and then this happened. :(
2. Fuel Economy. Gas sucks.
3. Back seats/Cargo. The kiddo's getting tall fast, and it'd be nice to have room for him. For this reason, we're not thinking the Prius would be a good fit, though I'd take one if it was just me. It'd also be nice not to have to borrow another car any time I want to move anything bigger than a lunch pail.
4. Comfort. My wife has some rather nasty nerve/autoimmune issues that cause her a lot of pain, so a car she can drive/ride in comfortably would be great. We do plan to test drive.

We're leaning toward a RAV4 Hybrid or CR-V Hybrid. Another Corolla or a Prius would be too small for the times when all three of us would be in the car, especially since I'm a tall person, and my kiddo is tall for his age. It'd also be nice to not have to fall into my car any more because it's so low. The thread seems in favor of the two we're considering, but last time I checked in I hadn't considered every car brand, and thanks to you guys I ended up in a very nice Mazda CX-5. So I figured I'd see if there's anything I'm missing.

I’d go sit in a Camry before you pull the trigger on a CUV.

Also look at Hondas, since they’re all massive now. Civics are the size of Buick Century’s so you might not even need to look into Accords.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

priznat posted:

Hey thread, looking to get my wife a new ride. Vehicle, that is

Currently she has a 2016 Kia Sorento, and prefers the crossover due to the seating height etc.

Proposed Budget: Up to $75k CAD
New or Used: new, although certified pre owned with low mileage would be an option
Body Style: SUV/Crossover with 3 rows
How will you be using the car?: Ferrying (3) kids around and/or ferrying 2 medium sized dogs around, commuting
What aspects are most important to you?
1) Practicality - loading up the kids/dogs
2) Reliability - don’t want to have to do a lot of trips to the service centre
3) Useful gizmos - around view cam, power liftgate, remote start

This is in Canada (BC)

Ones I have short listed so far:
- Acura MDX (Platinum trim) - A couple relatives have MDXs and rave about them. The one thing here is there is a refresh coming in the fall so I was hesitant about buying the “old” model. Plus the stupid infotainment touchpad is something I feel she would complain about endlessly
- Hyundai Santa Fe (new one) - Boxy contender, all new design, looks like some good tech. Downside is her previous car was a Santa Fe Sport and she “wants something different from hyundai”
- Hyundai Pallisade/Kia Telluride - basically the same as above, a little hesitant to get yet another kia/hyundai. Tellurides seem to be all but unavailable around here due to demand.
- Kia EV9 - wild card, potentially getting into a full EV. We have a L2 charger at home for my car (PHEV) and so could keep it charged. Seems expensive for a Kia though at the trim we’d want.
- Mazda CX-90 - New design so a bit hesitant, 3rd row seems extremely small compared to other options even for kids.

I would have liked to look at a minivan but she refuses to get a minivan, so welp.

Anyway interested if there are any good suggestions - Ford Explorer? Some GM thing? I have no experience with domestics.

Man you have really need a minivan.

I think suburbans and expeditions are in your wheelhouse. There’s not a lot of CUVs that have decent third row seating. I guess Armadas and Palisades and whatever else exist, but I rarely see Japanese makes recommended for full size SUVs.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

priznat posted:

Yeah, it usually works out that we just need the 3rd row fairly infrequently but it is useful when it is there. Normally the 3rd row is down for dog carriers in the back. The full size ones are probably a bit too large for our needs.

Believe me I tried selling the minivan idea :sigh: Would probably go for the Carnival, they have a new hybrid coming out. But my wife is extremely stubborn.

Will the kids be able to sit in the front? If not (due to age/height) you might be stuck with three rows for basic safety reasons.

You already know about Japanese SUVs so I’ll just drop info on the domestics:
- Ford Explorer: available as a hybrid, tends to fall short in interior quality (used plastics instead of metals, that sort of thing) and some features for the same price. Upside is they’re more reliable than Korean brands and relatively cheap to maintain
- Chevy Tahoe: not as big as a suburban, but on the smaller side of large. If you went with a larger/midsized three row domestic, this would be the one I’d steer you toward.
- Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave: it’s a van without the sliding door functionality. Don’t tell your wife. It’s got a ton of space.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee L/Dodge Durango: it’s got a big dumb V8 and higher clearance should you ever be taking it off road (you won’t). The engine is reliable since Stellantis just crams they V8 in everything and they have for a fuckin decade. Folks seem to like these and they’re pretty highly rated.

From what you said I’d probably steer toward a Highlander or Grand Highlander, depending on how you feel about the interior space of each.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Now hear me out; if we ignore the fuel efficiency requirements you can get a 3.0 twin turbo v6 with AWD and 400 hp / 400 ftlb. Add in adaptive cruise and a luxury car interior, plus a proven platform with tons of parts.

My friend in talking about the 2017-2020 Lincoln MKZ. You can find em in your target mileage for roughly $20-25k, which puts em into your price range as well. (I think, I didn’t do the math with today’s rates, but I know that $20k flat is about $400 a month).

If the worlds fastest grampa car doesn’t interest you, they also have a hybrid version. Again, Fusion platform, but much much nicer fit and finish.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mustache Ride posted:

What? Why would you get a Lincoln when you can get one of these or one of these or one of these or one of these or one of these?

Honestly though you should just get one of these. They’ll be better than anything else.

Because 400 hp. None of them have it. The Lincoln does.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys have weird feelings about a quieter ford fusion, but ok.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Repairpal lists an average annual cost for the 2017 model of $1017, broken down into items like “door mirror replacement” for $1079-1093 and brake pad replacement $220-261. It appears about half the list is items associated with accidents. No other years have enough data to generate an estimate.

In general, repairpal estimates that you pay $92/year more for repairs and maintenance than with the average luxury vehicle, with a dead accurate unscheduled repair frequency. It is 3% higher than average to have a Severe issue.

Edmunds assumes you’re gonna need $800 a year in repairs. For what? There’s no breakdown of costs. Maintenance varies wildly per year with estimates of $2538 in year four vs $321 in year three. No idea where those numbers come from, since they’re not listed. Edmunds doesn’t even offer the 3.0 engine as an option, so none of this applies anyway.

CarEdge estimates annual costs of $450 averaged across five years. None of this is differentiated by the different powertrains.

The data is all over the map, but none of this drivetrain is unique. The engine is in half the Ford Explorers on the road. The transmission is a GM-Ford shared platform, so you’re as likely to have it in your Cadillac as any ford out there.

Basically: grain of salt on it being uniquely expensive.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That Audi Q5 electric version (no idea about the actual name) is probably worth cross shopping if you’re already looking at Volvos.

E: ooh, is it the eTron?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yup, new sexy Prius. Just buy a bike rack. And snow tires/chains.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

e: nevermind

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It sounds like not buying a car is the right choice.

All advice previous to this is also pertinent should you decide you want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Month end and quarter end tend to be relatively deal friendly times, yeah. I wouldn’t get too caught up in it, though. You can probably find a similar deal before or after it will maybe just take a bit more looking.

To echo this, don’t lose sleep if you don’t get what you want within the holiday window. It’s not a once in a given year type of thing. Listen to ol Kyoon here.