Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
There is a chance that in February my old, kinda falling apart 93 honda civic won't pass smog. If it costs enough, I'll just have it decommissioned and get a new car. Are there end of year deals that would be worth going through all that this month instead of late January, early February? I'd be looking for a used car, with a budget of ~15k if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'd be really interested in a post on the purchase part of things as well.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Proposed Budget: 12-22k
New or Used: Used, but new is fine if it's a good enough deal. If used, 2010 or newer
Body Style: 4 door hatchback, manual
How will you be using the car?: Used mostly for commuting short city distances, with a 500 mile round trip ~3 times a year, and several camping trips throughout the year Live in southern california, so snow is not an issue.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG, reliability/cost of ownership, it needs to have cruise control and an AUX port

So my 93 honda civic of 253k miles isn't passing smog and it will cost too much to get it there and I'm ready to get a new used car. This was my first car that was given to me, and I've had it for four years now. I'm looking for a new used (based on budget) nicer car. From all I've read in this thread, that points me to Honda Fit, Mazda3 or a Ford Focus. I went to car max today and test drove a manual mazda3 and ford focus with the Mazda3 winning out in how it felt driving. The ford focus felt very similar to my current honda civic in terms of handling and power, though it was the cheaper of the two. Are there any other cars I should be looking at, and does anyone have thoughts on the new vs used argument for these cars?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So after test driving a bunch of different makes/models/trims I've decided I do want to get a Mazda3 (hatchback, manual, with skyactive so 2012 or newer). Sounds familiar to a previous poster right? I have ~1 month possibly two before I actually need to buy a car, but I found one at a dealership yesterday that fits my budget and seems to be a competitive deal. A 2013 Mazda3 I touring for 16500 at ~15k miles. Should I make the plunge right now, or wait and keep an eye out for other deals since I do have a bit of time? I'm leaning towards just getting it because at the moment this is the only car i found with similar stats in SD so far.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

skipdogg posted:

If it's the car you want and the price is right but it now. No guarantee you can find another in a month.

even though it only has a few thousand miles on it and I'm getting xyz warranties (cpo) I should still have an independent mechanic take a look at it right?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I applied for financing with both Wells Fargo and the local credit union. Wells came back with their "best rate" at 5.24% down to 4.49 if I borrowed 15k instead of 12k. The credit union just flat approved me at 2.49%. Now I'm thinking of moving my other bank accounts too haha

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm looking at a CPO 2014 mazda3 with 14k miles on it. It's an hour and a half away, and the only chance I have this week/weekend to see it is wednesday after work. with the CPO warranty, no accidents, one owner on the carfax and relatively low miles is not getting an independent inspection a really dumb idea if I like the car?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I didn't say without test driving it I said without getting an independent inspection. Nonetheless point taken

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I have a Mazda 3 2014 hatchback that works amazingly well for your reqs. The space in the back is not nearly as bad as you say, fits 4 adults comfortably and is more than capable of bringing enough stuff camping for 2 people for up to 4/5 days. 3 people camping would be a tight fit though

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I love my 2014 manual mazda3 isport and it's been extremely reliable. Only about to hit 90k miles now though. Not a sport car zoom zoom at all, but echoing it's very pleasant to drive in non stop and go traffic

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
My husband loves his 2014 Ford fiesta. It's semi zippy, can fit in tiny parking spots, gets good gas milage and is comfy enough in the front seats and who cares about back seat passengers. Trunk is plenty roomy and we've gone 2 person tent camping in it before no problem

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Proposed Budget: Total around $35-45k at most?
New or Used: Leaning new. We plan to have this car for 10+ years
Body Style: It's me, my husband, a 5 month olds (car seat) and a 19 year old kiddo. Our current car is a compact Ford fiesta, and we have our knees touching the wheel with the car seat in the middle, so we're thinking CUV/SUV.
How will you be using the car?: bi weekly commute (I'm WFH), the occasional family/social event. Would really love a car that can go family car camping, though a Thule on top is an option. A couple times a year we might drive inter-state. I don't think this is the car we go electric for, but maybe phev?

What aspects are most important to you?
1. Reliability.
2. Fuel Economy is a nice to have.
3. Back seats/Cargo. Three adults and a baby is a lot of potential stuff for longer trips
4. Sound. I'd really love to have a quieter highway drive than the Ford fiesta or Mazda 3.
5. Android Auto car play is a nice to have

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
If we're looking at getting a new car in the next few weeks, are memorial day sales actually worth waiting for on popular models (rav 4 / CrV) or do those sales only go up for the less popular models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
One dealership in the bay (at least) is charging 10k markup on Rav 4s. But there's a poo poo ton of Toyota dealers around here and at least one does MSRP.