Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Look into, well have your friend have a lawyer look into, Texas's laws on this States generally protect car buyers somewhat more than they do general consumer purchases, but the specific protections vary between states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Inner Light posted:

I forgot the LaCrosse was dead. I wish American makes could compete with entry level German luxury but it appears we simply gave up.

Encore aside, talking about sedans.

Slightly off-kilter take, but what about a CPO Regal Wagon (TourX or whatever foolishness they called out)? Good reviews, some of that Buick soft luxury while at it's heart being the only good opel/Holden in some time.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

My first car was a high-mileage 850 wagon. Best case scenario you end up with a lemon. Otherwise you end up One of Us.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ethanol posted:

Also that car drove itself through some bollards and later nearly into a wall before I said enough with the beta test please stop letting it drive!!

Elon thanks you for helping to improve Full Self-Driving.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If you're prioritizing looks then that may change the calculus slightly. Everything these fine folks have said about the Toyota, Honda, and Mazda crossovers is entirely true. But what are you looking for re: appearance? Is it something square and quirky, is a Kia Soul "not boring"? Would you sacrifice utility for a mini (4 door) or clubman, if you like their look? You've asked for advice but then emphasized your aesthetic preferences, admitting it's "subjective," but haven't talked about what you actually think subjectively looks like what you'd want to own.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 15, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KillHour posted:

Hyundais and Kias are now good(TM) so feel free to try them if she likes them.

Are mostly good now. I still have nightmares about the seven different shades of beige plastic in the center console of my most recent rental sonata. A functionally fine, utterly joyless car.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a car to buy, if anyone would be interested in giving me some suggestions.

Budget: $25-$30k, maybe $35k if I really had to. Much more than that and I'd be eating too hard into my cash reserves. Probably a new car if I can swing it, but it's not a hard requirement or anything.
Body style: Sedan or coupe.
How I'll use the car: Mostly in-town driving, maybe some road trips for fun if I get the notion. Driving down winding country roads is a common pastime for me. Very short commute. No need for seating more than two people.

What aspects are important:
* Reliability is probably my main concern.
* Legroom is also good. I'm 6'4 , so I probably can't drive a Miata without putting my knees under my chin.
* Much less of a concern, but something that wouldn't immediately eat poo poo in the snow would be good, too, though that's only a problem 2-3 times a year total where I live. Maybe I just need to buy snow tires :v:

Toyobaru BRZ/86? Ticks all your other boxes, will be rather more fun than a giant dodge on a windy backroad, and it's rwd so you'll have all the traction you need with winter tires on.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Throatwarbler posted:

I went to a Toyota dealer today and sat in a new Camry and a new Highlander. I understand they are mechanically well built items but nothing about the experience gave me a compelling reason to upgrade from what I have now. Wife and kids weren't even interested in sitting in them. :geno:

Guuess we should hit up the Alfa/Maserati dealership next time.

That's because they're the Toyota Camry and Highlander. They are incredibly well designed, perfectly functional appliances. They are not going to give you any emotional reason to upgrade if your current car is also functional. You did the car equivalent of trying a new vacuum when your old vacuum still works. You do not need this new vacuum.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Number_6 posted:

Even in base form, it's got room, decent power, styling that isn't wimpy. If you want something in that price range that can carry 2 kids and and let you still feel like a MAN, what else is there?

Oh that's definitely in Base Form.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Does the dog ride in the trunk or in the back seat? Because 1) rear door sill height, 2) rear opening height, and 3) rear opening height with a trunk wide enough to carry a step/ladder/platform are all going to be different measurements, and what the dog is specifically capable of seems to be the determining factor here.

Like, should the Kona electric also be on your list? It's p good on (1), but less so on (2) and small enough that (3) would take up a higher proportion of trunk space. Not saying that's the right car specifically, but just that the fine details matter so much here that we can't really be useful without knowing exactly what height is enough or not for pupper.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KillHour posted:

My Aston is squarely 4 digits/year so far. Do it.

Your Aston isn’t Italian.

Do it, still. The pleasure is worth the pain. And the glares from every Mwhatever owner that secretly wishes they has been you.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

davecrazy posted:

Done. Picked her up today.

And you haven’t yet created an AI project thread, why?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

To make sure I understand you correctly: you want to take a loss on your currently depreciated EV that you seem happy enough with operating to have a loan on another, also to depreciate, EV?

Why?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

remigious posted:

Dealerships also put a sticker on the drivers side window to indicate that there is an engine immobilizer in place, but not sure how much of a deterrent that is to thieves in the dead of night.

It’s not, since thieves also know that stickers are cheaper than fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Unsinkabear posted:

I (once again) think it's time to trade in my 2013 Accord coupe for something more practical, and if possible I'd like to do it without acquiring a car payment. Is Carvana still a fair-enough exchange option for people who know nothing about the dealership minigame?

You’ll overpay a bit over what a private seller would expect, and there are horror stories about them having awful backend issues with things like actually delivering title, but they deliver a car to your door and you can get a proper mechanic to do an inspection within the return period. It’s paying more money to avoid doing work, but then there’s the long-tail risk of title shenanigans.