Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Crossover

How will you be using the car?:
This is for my dad, he has two vehicles: an old f150 (just replaced his 99 ranger after hitting it with a tractor), and a 250k mile ford fiesta he crashed into a turkey with.
He has had knee replacements and has been complaining about the pain of getting into/out of the fiesta. The fiestas primary use is for driving to a consultant job he does maybe 20 times a year, 200 miles each way (he used to fly until he crashed his plane. There's a theme here). Since he's on a farm, the nearest town/grocery store is about 10 miles away. In short, a Lot of highway miles.
Also, he is interested in having AWD+ground clearance so he doesn't have to plow the lane as often in the winter (especially since he crashed the tractor into the creek and had to get a crane truck to lift it out last year) and can just drive through/over the moderate snow.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, ease of getting in/out, highway mpg

Rust is a big concern where he is , northwest Illinois on the Wisconsin border. Hilly, cold.
Are there any vehicles to avoid? Most crossovers seem like they would meet his criteria. We had a lead on a '12 Subaru Forester at 98k miles, but the family friend was saying she didn't trust it to drive to Nebraska to see family and I'm betting the CVT is going and it would be a bad purchase.

Should he just plug in his budget on Autotrader/caravana and go with whatever ford/Toyota/Honda/Mazda/Chevy seems good?

Edit: good auto cruise would be nice for him if it exists on anything that old. He would hate any lane departure stuff that can't be deactivated

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I am once again asking for your support boring used crossover recommendations from the '10s, any to avoid especially in the rust belt?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Im curious why you're against a truck. I have a trip planned with a friend in that area of New Mexico, camping out at 10k feet an hour north of Taos, and he said we're going to take rough trails in his truck to "get away from the general public"

Like what do you envision a Bronco doing that you couldn't in a Ranger? It doesn't sound like you're doing anything super rough. Alternatively, keep the x3 and take a trailer up there with a side by side or atv

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 24, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm nowhere near as experienced as the guys in this thread, but I've driven 80s Datsun, 90s ford broncos, explorer, ranger for decades on muddy farms in the Midwest, '19 ranger somewhat on forest roads in the UP, and ATVs in the UP on forest trails or just wherever. I really liked a lot of the low speed traction features the ranger has, but it was also completely overkill for what I was doing.

I've had some of those trucks buried floorboard deep in mud or water and required tractors to pull them out, but I've also done the same with a Pontiac vibe.

Granted, I've taken my ford fusion on the same back roads as the trucks, but I banged up the skid plate pretty good and everyone saying vehicle clearance matters is 100% right.

My rough understanding is that the modern bronco is going to work better on rough off-road than something like the ranger, handle better due to being shorter, better suspension etc.

One thing I'll note is I personally like pickup truck beds for anything that's getting banged around and dirty since it's less cleaning of the interior, and only really prefer the SUV when it's in a city and I don't want stuff stolen.

What I don't know is where you'd be going that wouldn't be a good fit for a side by side, especially if you're a novice. Their safety is really drat nice, they're fast, they can do a ton. ATVs work too if you know how to handle them (my cousins had a 3 wheeler growing up and Jesus H Christ) and want to save money.

This is meandering but I think my point is if you aren't already experienced and know exactly what you want to do off-road, you're going to be better served by a general purpose small truck with true 4x4, or by a more specialized SXS. Hell, I'd probably try to get a '99 ranger instead of a '19 and just run it into the absolute ground so as to find the limits of what can be done, rather than risk destroying something newer, but the old ones are hard to find

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That's interesting - does a truck exist with a 6.5 foot bed, extended cab or crew cab, but also factory off-road package? I've been trying to build it in various manifacturer sites to no avail. Ford doesn't make that, it doesn't seem like the Tacoma has it (unless I'm building it wrong, it seems like it should), nor the Jeep Gladiator.

Edit: Found it. Tacoma has all of those options, at least I think it does (editx2 i was wrong, its only a 6ft bed). The skid plate requirement (for a truck that's seemingly going to be driven on gravel and dirt) is really zany

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 7, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Selling vehicle question:

I'm going to inherit a four door 2019 Ford ranger fx4 with my sister in a few months. While I like the truck, I live in Chicagoland, work from home and our household puts about 5000 miles a year on our two old beater vehicles.

While I wouldn't mind upgrading the 99 Camry I drive a few miles a week (which has bad rear struts), it doesn't make much sense to keep the truck (and buy out my sister). The only feature I really want in a new vehicle is auto cruise control, which it doesn't have.

That being said, will it be better to sell it where it currently is (central Illinois) or bring it up to Chicagoland and sell there? The demand for trucks is higher down there, but far fewer people.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 27, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Motronic posted:

And I'm saying you don't need a truck or SUV for that. You are vastly underestimating what any regular rear end car can do with proper tires. You are going by marketing, which is telling you that you need to buy something that fits the image of going to trailheads and leading an outdoor life, while in real life people are literally bombing fire roads with 20 year old subaru imprezas (like legit rally racing) and there are other people taking their crown vics and mini vans out onto trails and rocks that most people think require a lifted jeep on huge tires.

If you want the look then pay for it and buy the look. But don't try to justify it as a need.

When I was in the New Mexico mountains wilderness this past summer, about half the vehicles were big trucks, most of them pulling trailers. A sizable number of SUVs and some CUVs, and a lot of Jeeps/Broncos. The road was complete washboard and had a fair amount of potholes on the side paths.

And one little old lady who stopped to ask from directions in a Toyota Camry. She didn't even have good tires.

We had bad tires on one of our two trucks and it was a huge difference between rental highway tires and all-terrains on Tacoma, especially for the guy driving who didn't know how to deal with wheelspin.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Depends what you're trying to secure, but my friend had this (or something just like it) for his fly fishing gear in his Tacoma:
https://decked.com/pages/drawers-compare

It's the opposite of a sedan, but might be a solution if your focus is on security. Tonneau covers never seemed safe enough to me, but maybe they're sturdier than I realize and would also be a solution.

Coincidentally (or not), when that friend was my roommate, his SUV's back window got smashed. We couldn't figure it out until the neighbor's SUV, that looked identical, was smashed a few days later and a bunch of pharmaceutical sales stuff stolen. The thieves had seen her vehicle first, returned later and didn't realize the difference when they went after his.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 12, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I haven't ever driven in serious wintry or mountainous areas, just northern IL my whole life, but when I taught people how to winter drive I leaned heavily on a few rules. Don't ever stop, just keep barely rolling as much as you can. And don't brake or accelerate through corners unless you have to, do that prior to the corner.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
For what it's worth I just sold an inherited vehicle to CarMax and it went pretty smoothly, albeit slowly. They had a place six miles for me, whereas dealerships and carvana were further, and the quote was higher than dealership.

Main issues were in filling out small estate affidavit the way they wanted, and then my mom's will being in her married name before her divorce and the title in her maiden name. They accepted emailed copy of divorce judgment to clear that up which was nice, everything else I had was a certified copy for them. They also said if the title doesn't go through they'll ask me for more paperwork in four weeks.

I might have been able to get more money private party but the insurance policy and plates both expire end of February, and I wasn't super comfortable trying to transfer title and being paid such a large sum of money with someone who wasn't a friend/relative.

No one wanted the 4 door 19 fx4 XLT ranger sadly. Id have loved to keep it for off road fishing and camping trips in the UP but couldn't justify it overall, and my dad couldn't buy it off me because the five foot bed with topper was too small for farm use. Which stinks since he hates his f-150s height and wishes he could get another late 90s ranger with full size bed like he used to have.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mustache Ride posted:

Might want to think about new rangers. They're pretty small trucks and get decent gas mileage. I've seen a few with <50k miles for <$20k, but I'm not sure where you're located.

Are you thinking of the Maverick? The new rangers are still pretty big (basically 90s f-150 size) and more expensive than that.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It has bigger wheels than some of the lower trim variants so it will both ride worse and be more expensive to replace tires!

What's the reason behind the move to such large wheels on so many cars? Just part of the drive for everything to get taller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Weird, thanks for the explanation.