Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Zhentar posted:

If you have RWD, then you can get most of the benefit with just 2 snow tires, which can make things a lot easier to swallow.

Braking and steering are overrated anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Dik Hz posted:

Its all about how you drive on snow and ice, the tires don't make that big of difference. Snow tires will make someone who doesn't know how to drive on snow and ice over-confident. And someone who knows how to drive and snow and ice doesn't need them.

But that's just my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree with me.

I live in a hilly area and drive a car without ABS or traction control. Snow tires can make the different between being able to get to work and not.

Yes, you can drive on snow and ice with proper all season tires but snow tires give you a large safety margin with the increased traction. Bonus points: you have better braking, handling and acceleration to avoid the fucksticks who have never seen snow on a road before.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Dik Hz posted:

Its not like a video game, where snow tires give +5 grip. Most accidents happen because people hit slick spots or are driving too fast and aggressively. By slowing down and driving cautiously, you can drive safely on snow and ice with regular all-season tires.

Snow tires and ABS and traction control all help. But the single biggest safety factor is knowing how drive on snow. And the single biggest danger is overconfidence. Why do you think you see more huge SUVs in the ditch than small light coupes?

How many types of snow tires have you used? What geographical location are you at?

You can be the best driver in the world and still be unsafe on an icy road, where proper snow tires would allow even a mediocre driver to be plenty safe.

After getting an epiphany after putting a set of snow tires on my Civic, I stack the deck in my favor: knowing good technique, practicing it and running excellent tires.

Scrooging $300 for not buying a set of snow tires is the wrong way to go about being frugal.

Unless you live in Florida.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Automotive Insanity will give you more exposure then BFC regarding a potential new vehicle, but read the rules before posting.

With those Civics, remember the timing belt and water pump need to be changed every 90,000 miles. For the one with just over 100,000 miles, make certain it's been done, or budget $500 or so for it to be performed shortly after buying the car.

Anecdotal evidence from my '96 Civic says any of those are going to be pretty bullet proof. There aren't a lot of issues with those generation and no show-stoppers.