Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Sorry if this has been asked, but the last ten or twelve pages haven't had it.

I found a used car I want to buy but haven't a clue how far above blue book I should be willing to go. It's a nice car, recent year, lots of perks, exactly what I was looking for. Blue book is $16,100. The dealer had it stickered at $22 (lol) and before me even asking, the salesman offered to go down to $19,700 (lol).

Question is this: Is the blue book the price I should be aiming towards, or is that like the base, where they wouldn't be making any profit? Should I split the difference and offer him $17 cash, aiming for like $17.5? Or should I just say "I blue booked it at $16.1, I'm offering $16.1 cash?"

BigHead fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

Question is this: Is the blue book $16.1 the price I should be aiming towards, or is that like the base, where they wouldn't be making any profit? Should I split the difference and offer him $17 cash, aiming for like $17.5? Or should I just say "I blue booked it at $16.1, I'm offering $16.1 cash?"

Quoting myself from a week ago to repeat the question. I gotta pull the trigger soon.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

Start your bargaining below what you'd be willing to buy at. And don't be afraid to walk if they refuse to see it at your price. Of course, it seems like you're coming up against a deadline, which is going to screw you in terms of finding a deal. Have you looked at any other cars, or is this the only one?

Oh, I've looked at several cars at several different places. I have found two I really like that are great deals (the blue book is right on budget), and a few that would be fine. I just want to know how much I can rely on the blue book when I negotiate. I've never negotiated for a car before. Do the dealers expect to get the exact blue book price? Does the blue book have nothing to do with it?