Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

CornHolio posted:

I'm kind of curious, with the sudden onset of winter here, what other people's opinions about winter tires are. They're much safer on snow and ice than summer or all-season tires. However, it is expensive to have to buy (and store) two sets of tires.

I passed on them last year, but I've decided I have to get a set this year. Yeah, a set of snow tires is kind of expensive, but they are still cheaper than my collision deductible. Adding on greater personal safety and better chances of being able to drive to work, and I really don't see how I can justify not getting them. (It also helps that my current tires are bare and I'm going to have to get new tires before the first snowfall either way)

If you have RWD, then you can get most of the benefit with just 2 snow tires, which can make things a lot easier to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kimbo305 posted:

Nobody in AI would recommend this, as your grip levels would be vastly different, no matter where you mounted the snow tires. In the front, especially in e: an RWD car, you stand the chance of snap steering your car into a spin. In the rear, you will lose grip and possibly slide straight when going around a turn.

Losing grip and sliding straight is also what can happen if you don't have snow tires at all, and then you'll still have two wheels that can brake.

Two snow tires in the front is definitely a bad idea, but two snow tires in the back is still better than no snow tires at all.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

CornHolio posted:

I think cars with an enthusiast following is one way to go. You have to be willing to do some basic work and torubleshooting yourself, though, so there is a slight cost there. However, you get enormous online resources, and websites that cater directly to you. For instance, if I need parts for my BMW, I can go to five or six different websites for parts, a number of forums and DIY sites for advice, and even here for exploded parts diagrams for every single component of my car. The Volvo is similar.

I'll second this. My BMW had a broken window regulator. Not only was it easy to find 4 different walkthroughs, with pictures, of how to take the door apart, they linked a mechanic that rebuilds the window regulators- half the cost of the new parts, and better construction, plus a partial refund for sending my old broken one in afterwards. End result, I replaced it for less than the labor would have cost in a shop, with absolutely no prior experience.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Harminoff posted:

My question is, does it have any negative impact on credit to pay a loan off right away? I have been told that I shouldn't do that because it looks better when you show that you are able to make monthly payments plus some extra. I would rather pay it off and save on the interest. Is this a good idea? If more info is needed, let me know!

The whole point of having good credit is so that you don't have to pay high interest on expensive things like cars and homes. Paying high interest on your auto loan in hopes of improving your credit defeats the purpose of it!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Engineer Lenk posted:

However, you are able to get a new car every couple of years and have it always be under warranty. There's probably a breakpoint where it's cheaper to lease than to do a buy/tradein cycle, if you want the same ease of just dealing with the dealership.

Regardless of which one ends up being cheaper they are both financially retarded. The opportunity to endlessly pay the worst stage of a vehicle's depreciation? Oh, that I could be so lucky...

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

CornHolio posted:

Ah. I thought it would have an effect on the timing. My mistake.

You might see some reduction in MPG from higher octane fuel, because the octane increasing additive probably has a lower energy density than gasoline. But it's unlikely that you could measure your fuel consumption accurately enough to notice the difference.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

cmears posted:

If I go with the used car option I could probably get a couple thousand using it as a trade-in but I've heard the dealership will just jack the price up a couple of thousand on the new car so its a wash.

1. Trade-in isn't the only way to convert from used car to money.
2. If you're not a doormat who just trusts everything the dealer says they can't 'just jack the price up'.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Vladimir Putin posted:

It's really not worth it to fight over this stuff if the damage is relatively small ($400). Your marriage is not worth these little fights that you are going to remember and hold against her.

The point isn't a lost $400, it's that she made a major financial decision without any sort of input from the person who she shares her finances with, and that is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

quaint bucket posted:

It's my understanding that if there is a lien on the vehicle, the owner (who is not the bank/creditor) cannot transfer the title to the new owner. Is this accurate?

That's not exactly accurate. If there's a lien on the vehicle, and you can't transfer the title, then there's not a new owner at all. If you don't have the title, then you don't own the car.